Convoy L2/L6 modding thread

972 posts / 0 new
Last post
Etex
Etex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 09/29/2016 - 00:57
Posts: 280
Location: East Texas
JasonWW wrote:
I meant, do an amp draw at the tail with the light off, not on. That way you can see the amount of drain.

Had to enlist my wife as a third hand, to switch side switch off. Amps dropped to 0.00 (display resolution only shows hundredths).

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

Got a new Convoy L2 in today, XM-L2 NW, almost 1000 lumens on a single cell. While I really really dig the dimensions on the single cell beauty, I had something else in mind. Smile

I did some machine work on it to fit a 26mm MaxToch mcpcb onto the shelf, loaded a XHP-35 E2 3A emitter on it, bored out the driver bay to take Mountain Electronics MTN Buck driver at 27.5mm and 2.5A for the 12V emitter.
No tail spring bypass and with a rigged spacer as the cells are a bit short (I’m using 3 extension tubes, 4 Basen 26650’s) It’s making…

0.01A for 2.59 Lumens
0.05A for 71.42
1.03A for 1193.7
2.42A for 2352.9 and 2270.1 at 30 seconds.

Edit: Lux is 258Kcd for 1015.87M throw. Wink Not fantastic, but not too bad either.

I machined inside the head and outside the reflector to allow the reflector to sit deeper, used Simons taper centering ring he designed for the XP-L, works great! Kind of a Convoy tribute to the old 4 cell MagLite of old. Big Smile

(had to double up on some pain meds, made it through pretty well, covering the lathe back up in the shop is a major pita though, ugh!)

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas
Etex wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
I meant, do an amp draw at the tail with the light off, not on. That way you can see the amount of drain.

Had to enlist my wife as a third hand, to switch side switch off. Amps dropped to 0.00 (display resolution only shows hundredths).


Yeah, that’s too high a range. You’d need to switch to milliamps. Maybe one of your other meters can read it.

Nope, with your tactical setting you won’t be able to measure it as it will turn on in turbo mode as soon as you connect power. Don’t try it! You’ll blow a fuse.

My FX30 when switched off at the side switch draws 1.45 millamps. I keep the rear switch on only at work and recharge the batteries every week and I haven’t noticed the drain at all.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

DB Custom wrote:
I did some machine work on it to fit a 26mm MaxToch mcpcb onto the shelf, loaded a XHP-35 E2 3A emitter on it, bored out the driver bay to take Mountain Electronics MTN Buck driver at 27.5mm and 2.5A for the 12V emitter.
No tail spring bypass and with a rigged spacer as the cells are a bit short (I’m using 3 extension tubes, 4 Basen 26650’s) It’s making…

0.01A for 2.59 Lumens
0.05A for 71.42
1.03A for 1193.7
2.42A for 2352.9 and 2270.1 at 30 seconds.

Edit: Lux is 258Kcd for 1015.87M throw. Wink Not fantastic, but not too bad either.

I machined inside the head and outside the reflector to allow the reflector to sit deeper, used Simons taper centering ring he designed for the XP-L, works great! Kind of a Convoy tribute to the old 4 cell MagLite of old. Big Smile

(had to double up on some pain meds, made it through pretty well, covering the lathe back up in the shop is a major pita though, ugh!)


Is that the xhp35 HI version?

Some of the factory big dog throwers are getting triple that CD. Maybe the reflector is just not optimized for it? A little too small, not quite the right shape.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

Yes, it’s the E2 3A HI XHP-35. I’m only pushing it to 2.42A, and it’s in the smaller Convoy L2, so hardly comparable to the ginormous TN42… not in size nor in price level. Wink

The E4 bin is 20% brighter and of course if pushed harder there’s more to be had out of it. My TN42 was bumped and it didn’t quite do 3 times this (712Kcd, not 774), but still, it’s an exceptional light and not matched by many, if any. When it comes to putting it downrange, diameter of the reflector is mega important, and of course depth has it’s part in the equation as well. 88mm vs. 52mm, not really in the same class, and nearly $200 vs $65? Yeah, well… (no, I didn’t pay $65 for the L2, but the driver and emitter and larger mcpcb come into that price)

I’ve built a lot of lights, some of them on the larger side, and 700Kcd just is not an easy target to hit! I got 665Kcd from a Olight SR-90 Intimidator, wasn’t easy there either, large reflector or not.

Jensen567
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/10/2017 - 16:59
Posts: 491
Location: MD/DC Area USA

Anyone know if it’s possible to get a replacement reflector for the L2? OP reflector if possible, but stock SMO would work too.

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2665
Location: Greece

Reflector’s external dimensions ?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

Jensen, just send Simon a message on his AliExpress store site, he’s a great guy and will more than likely fix you up.

Etex
Etex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 09/29/2016 - 00:57
Posts: 280
Location: East Texas

Really liking this Convoy L6 set up with Texas Avenger + Narsil ramping. Really easy to fine tune the brightness to virtually anything you want. Side switch, on & off has memory from wherever your last ramp position was. From any ramp level you can even double click to turbo, then single click off, then back on and it goes back to your previous memory level. That’s cool.

Think I’m gettin spoiled.

EasyB
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 51 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1704
Location: Ohio

DB Custom wrote:
Got a new Convoy L2 in today, XM-L2 NW, almost 1000 lumens on a single cell. While I really really dig the dimensions on the single cell beauty, I had something else in mind. Smile

I did some machine work on it to fit a 26mm MaxToch mcpcb onto the shelf, loaded a XHP-35 E2 3A emitter on it, bored out the driver bay to take Mountain Electronics MTN Buck driver at 27.5mm and 2.5A for the 12V emitter.
No tail spring bypass and with a rigged spacer as the cells are a bit short (I’m using 3 extension tubes, 4 Basen 26650’s) It’s making…

0.01A for 2.59 Lumens
0.05A for 71.42
1.03A for 1193.7
2.42A for 2352.9 and 2270.1 at 30 seconds.

Edit: Lux is 258Kcd for 1015.87M throw. Wink Not fantastic, but not too bad either.

I machined inside the head and outside the reflector to allow the reflector to sit deeper, used Simons taper centering ring he designed for the XP-L, works great! Kind of a Convoy tribute to the old 4 cell MagLite of old. Big Smile

(had to double up on some pain meds, made it through pretty well, covering the lathe back up in the shop is a major pita though, ugh!)

I think this is a great result. I’m planning on playing with the H2-C single cell boost driver in the L2 to see if I can make it put out 2.5A. I’m planning on changing out the inductor for one with less resistance.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

Here’s a quick comparison of the Convoy L6 with SMO reflector and xhp70 with the dome on and with it sliced off.

The sliced dome looses you 14% to 18% of lumens, but you gain a more intense focus which means longer distance. Slicing the dome also helps to reduce the donut hole some.

The smaller emitter size with the dome removed directly translates into a smaller hotspot.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

enesrap
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 39 min ago
Joined: 06/23/2016 - 14:32
Posts: 49
Location: Argentina

Hello friends, I have a problem with my L2, I have it mounted with XP-G2 S4 2B and in direct drive and only managed to get 2.70 A (tail). Eh disassembled everything and tested the carried from a dissipating base (photo) and just arrived at 2.75A. Also tested with another XP-G2 dedomed and the same, some imagines what is my problem ?? The batteries are 30Q and a full charge is charged

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 3825
Location: The Motor City

Did you use this same set-up to test the amp draw when this emitter was in your L2, if so try shortening your leads! To about 3-4 inches, see if your draw go’s up?

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

enesrap
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 39 min ago
Joined: 06/23/2016 - 14:32
Posts: 49
Location: Argentina
KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Did you use this same set-up to test the amp draw when this emitter was in your L2, if so try shortening your leads! To about 3-4 inches, see if your draw go’s up?

Thanks, that’s right, I used the same system, I shortened the cables to 5 cm and I still with 2.75 / 2.80 amps, the same with the other XP-G2, this problem does not let me sleep ..

gchart
gchart's picture
Online
Last seen: 17 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 1736
Location: Central IL

Make sure your multimeter didn’t accidentally get switched over to metric amps. Sick

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas
enesrap wrote:
KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Did you use this same set-up to test the amp draw when this emitter was in your L2, if so try shortening your leads! To about 3-4 inches, see if your draw go’s up?

Thanks, that’s right, I used the same system, I shortened the cables to 5 cm and I still with 2.75 / 2.80 amps, the same with the other XP-G2, this problem does not let me sleep ..


Your never going to get a decent reading with that setup. Some multi-meters get close, some never do. If you really want to know the amp draw you’ll need a clamp meter.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

EasyB
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 51 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1704
Location: Ohio

Another good and inexpensive way to accurately measure current is to use a shunt. It is basically a piece of wire with a known resistance. You complete the circuit with the shunt and measure the voltage across the wire and calculate the current. The one I use has about 10 mOhms resistance, which works well for me because this is a typical resistance of a tail switch with bypassed spring. You do have to accurately measure the resistance of the shunt, but this can be done pretty easily if you have 2 DMMs, one to measure the current through the shunt and one to measure the voltage across it.

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 3825
Location: The Motor City
enesrap wrote:
KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Did you use this same set-up to test the amp draw when this emitter was in your L2, if so try shortening your leads! To about 3-4 inches, see if your draw go’s up?

Thanks, that’s right, I used the same system, I shortened the cables to 5 cm and I still with 2.75 / 2.80 amps, the same with the other XP-G2, this problem does not let me sleep ..


It’s your meter then.

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 3825
Location: The Motor City

Stock L6 N4 1A, just removed the driver and soldered the 30mm T/A Narsil Tactical made by Lexel to the stock leads and switch wires, on 2 Basen’s….

At 30 seconds… It’s not a P2-1C 18awg leads on 2-Sanyo 20700A’s but it’s not too shabby for a straight up driver swap!!

Narsil ROCKS!!!! Big Smile Thumbs Up

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

I just put a de-domed XP-G2 in a Jaxman X1 and built a 22mm Mtn FET driver for it, with bypassed springs and a clamp meter and using an Efest 3500mAh cell I only get 3.51A at the tail. I’m thinking the emitter has a very high Vf…

leroycp
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/27/2015 - 19:24
Posts: 733
Location: Stewart TN

KB thanks for the pics!!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

DB Custom wrote:
I just put a de-domed XP-G2 in a Jaxman X1 and built a 22mm Mtn FET driver for it, with bypassed springs and a clamp meter and using an Efest 3500mAh cell I only get 3.51A at the tail. I’m thinking the emitter has a very high Vf…

I’ve never messed with xp-g2’s, but they should do 5 to 6 amps, right?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

They can do that if you use 2 cells with a buck driver, never seen one go far into the 4’s on a single cell.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

JasonWW wrote:
I may have found a source of positive power.

I got a good reading here, but this was on my old Convoy version which turns on the emitter when the rear switch is turned on. Hopefully my Kaidomain driver has power here when its in standby.

The switch looks like it uses an 1206 sized led and the 2 bare wire pads on back go to one of each led pad. The other led pads seem to link together and connect to the blue wire. I’m guessing the blue wire is a ground?

I could probably add a floating resistor into the wire from that positive source to either the purple or yellow pad on the back of the switch.

It seems 1206 leds vary from 2 to 3 volts depending on color. Does anyone know what resistor value I should use to drop the 8v down to 2 or 3?


I just finished my lighted side switch. A complete success on the first try!

This light has the FX30 driver from Kaidomain with the weird firmware that let’s you turn the light on and off with the side switch. The only problem is telling if the rear switch is on or off. I’m always double checking it. Now I always know plus can find the switch in the dark. No more fumbling for it! Yay!

First I filed out some notches to the switch hole to allow easier driver swaps. Kudos to Kawiboy for the suggestion.

Then I took 2 white SMD LEDS, kudos to DBCUSTOM for the LEDs, and added them like in my diagram above.

I bridged the rear connector to get power to both LEDs. The resistor is a 15K ohm. I believe that’s equivalent to 7.5k ohm per LED. It’s bright enough, but not too bright. The amp draw went from 1.45 milliamp to 1.85 milliamp. So no big deal for me.

Here’s a video of it. I’m a bit long winded. Lol

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 336
Location: Singapore

KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Stock L6 N4 1A, just removed the driver and soldered the 30mm T/A Narsil Tactical made by Lexel to the stock leads and switch wires, on 2 Basen’s….

At 30 seconds… It’s not a P2-1C 18awg leads on 2-Sanyo 20700A’s but it’s not too shabby for a straight up driver swap!!

Narsil ROCKS!!!! Big Smile Thumbs Up

Neat!! Planning to mod my L6 with my 30mm TA Narsil also. Where can I get the springs for it? Reuse my old springs?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

Slayer1 wrote:

Neat!! Planning to mod my L6 with my 30mm TA Narsil also. Where can I get the springs for it? Reuse my old springs?

Are you ordering from Lexel?
Sure you can use the old springs.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 336
Location: Singapore
JasonWW wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
Neat!! Planning to mod my L6 with my 30mm TA Narsil also. Where can I get the springs for it? Reuse my old springs?
Are you ordering from Lexel? Sure you can use the old springs.

Ordered and received from Lexel.
Waiting for some other stuff before I sit down and change the driver.
Thanks, JasonWW.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

Lexel had springs available as an option.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 336
Location: Singapore
JasonWW wrote:
Lexel had springs available as an option.

Missed on that but will reuse the old springs. Thanks.

XXX-Man
XXX-Man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2016 - 04:50
Posts: 806
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

What size led’s go on switch?

And where I can get transparent cover for it?

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

My reviews:

Sofirn SF36 /// Thorfire VG10S /// Sofirn C8F /// Zanflare F1

Pages