groupbuy (ALIVE) NEW Lumintop Tool AA

174 posts / 0 new
Last post
benz
benz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2012 - 06:38
Posts: 144
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Mp0wer wrote:
Ordered mine, does this flashlight have low voltage protection? I need to get some 14500 batteries and want to know which to get, protected or non-protected IMR

Surely it can’t, if it also runs off an AA?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal
benz wrote:
Mp0wer wrote:
Ordered mine, does this flashlight have low voltage protection? I need to get some 14500 batteries and want to know which to get, protected or non-protected IMR

Surely it can’t, if it also runs off an AA?

I don’t know about the LT Tool AA, but there are AA/14500 flashlights that have LVP, and when using Li-Ion batteries blink and/or turn OFF when voltage is lower than 2.8V.

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

benz
benz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2012 - 06:38
Posts: 144
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Fair point…

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1420
Location: Nice, France

I don’t think the Tool AA is designed to handle 14500… but i’m getting confused with all those lights as to which does and which doesn’t.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal
patmurris wrote:
I don’t think the Tool AA is designed to handle 14500… but i’m getting confused with all those lights as to which does and which doesn’t.

It is Wink Please take a look at the first post with the specs Wink
The question that remains is really about protected or unprotected batteries! That and reverse polarity protection Flat Stare
I’ll probably stick the unprotected Sanyo UR14500P that I have.

It is curious: I was checking about the specs of some LT lights, including the Lumintop Prince Mini (AA/14500), about these “protection” aspects, and so far I couldn’t find any reference to them…

I believe the 18650 lights will probably have LVP and RPP, but these AA/14500…I don’t know!

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1420
Location: Nice, France

On high some protected cells will either trip there protection or provide less current… ?

IIRC on the Prince mini, the RPP is implemented as a raised ring around the positive contact on the driver. The cell raised top has to reach inside to make contact whereas the flat negative end wouldn’t. Flat top cell don’t work. I think i had to use some KeepPowers or a magnet. I’ll check tomorrow. Not sure how it will work on the Tool AA.

Edit: i checked my Prince mini and it has the raised ring around the positive contact on the driver. I use KP protected 14500 800mAh (black w silver label) which are BT but the raised bit is not even tall enough and i need to add a thin round magnet to get it working. Obviously those protected cells do work – when you help them a bit.

If it works the same on the Tool AA, be prepared to fumble a bit with whatever 14500 you’ve got. Only ‘very raised top’ cells will work as is.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal

patmurris wrote:
On high some protected cells will either trip there protection or provide less current… ?

IIRC on the Prince mini, the RPP is implemented as a raised ring around the positive contact on the driver. The cell raised top has to reach inside to make contact whereas the flat negative end wouldn’t. Flat top cell don’t work. I think i had to use some KeepPowers or a magnet. I’ll check tomorrow. Not sure how it will work on the Tool AA.

Edit: i checked my Prince mini and it has the raised ring around the positive contact on the driver. I use KP protected 14500 800mAh (black w silver label) which are BT but the raised bit is not even tall enough and i need to add a thin round magnet to get it working. Obviously those protected cells do work – when you help them a bit.

If it works the same on the Tool AA, be prepared to fumble a bit with whatever 14500 you’ve got. Only ‘very raised top’ cells will work as is.

Thanks for the info patmurris! Didn’t know about that characteristic!! The Prince mini is a very nice light Wink
Well, the only thing I can wait is that the Sanyo UR14500P fit well on the LT Tool AA, without magnets or other tricks. Those are the only Li-Ion cells I have for this light… Facepalm

Suddenly I see myself surrounded by some AA/14500 lights, but somehow I am “excited” and curious to get the LT AA on my hands Blushing

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Thank you ‘M4D “Martin” M4X’….. Thumbs UpBig Smile

I picked up a couple…… Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

delusional
delusional's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 01/29/2016 - 18:58
Posts: 68
Location: Pittsburgh

Lots more pics on the Lumintop site now.
http://www.lumintop.com/tool-aa.html

Woke up to this one day…

Good morning OCF&BD,
I’ve created a new disorder for you. OCF&BD
Obsessive Compulsive Flashlight & Battery Disorder – and of course, there is no known cure, because you keep recharging yourself.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2416
Location: The Land of Enchantment

The LED in the AA Tool is XP-L
If the AA Tool is anything like the AA Maratac, it will have PWM also. The Maratac offers a Nichia LED.

The “low” mode of the AA Tool is 7 lumens, similar to the AA Maratac (made by Lumintop)
yes the AA Tool officially takes 14500, so does the AA ReyLight Pineapple (also made by Lumintop, and like the Maratac, offers a Nichia).

The Pineapple also has PWM. The Pineapple has a sublumen low that the Maratac and AA Tool lack.

NO the AA tool does not have Low Voltage Cutoff.. Like the Pineapple, the AA Tool calls for protected cells.

see
https://www.banggood.com/LUMINTOP-Tool-AA-XP-L-HD-550LM-3Modes-Portable-...LED-Flashlight-AA14500-p-1195234.html?p=IO0117468906201403!A&utm_medium=Martin&utm_content=chendongling

this flashlight need to use protected battery and there is no low voltage protection

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal

jon_slider wrote:
The LED in the AA Tool is XP-L
If the AA Tool is anything like the AA Maratac, it will have PWM also. The Maratac offers a Nichia LED.

The “low” mode of the AA Tool is 7 lumens, similar to the AA Maratac (made by Lumintop)
yes the AA Tool officially takes 14500, so does the AA ReyLight Pineapple (also made by Lumintop, and like the Maratac, offers a Nichia).

The Pineapple also has PWM. The Pineapple has a sublumen low that the Maratac and AA Tool lack.

NO the AA tool does not have Low Voltage Cutoff.. Like the Pineapple, the AA Tool calls for protected cells.

see
https://www.banggood.com/LUMINTOP-Tool-AA-XP-L-HD-550LM-3Modes-Portable-...LED-Flashlight-AA14500-p-1195234.html?p=IO0117468906201403!A&utm_medium=Martin&utm_content=chendongling

this flashlight need to use protected battery and there is no low voltage protection

Facepalm

Thanks for the heads up on this jon-slider! Thumbs Up

My only question: is it that hard for Lumintop and Banggood (as the seller, in this case) to include that info in the specs sheet?!!! Why do we have to be digging for this kind of – IMPORTANT – information when it was supposed to be on the specs?

Also, is it that hard for LT to make these lights with LVP? Unless it was made only for alkaline batteries – which is not -, a flashlight like this, that can use Ni-MH and Li-Ion, should have (in my humble perspective) Low Voltage Protection and Reverse Polarity Protection. Mandatory! Facepalm

It is annoying to know this, I must say! I’ll probably have to buy 14500 protected batteries to use it with full power…

Thanks again for the heads up! Thumbs Up

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2416
Location: The Land of Enchantment

MascaratumB wrote:
buy 14500 protected batteries

correct Smile
be a good consumer, when you buy stuff, you have to accessorize and buy stuff for your stuff

buy protected cells for your inexpensive unprotected Tool
and or
buy unprotected and take personal responsibility for monitoring battery level
and or
buy lights with built in protection
and or
buy Lithium primaries
and or
buy Eneloops
and or
buy Alkaleaks,
so you can
buy new lights when they leak

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal
jon_slider wrote:
buy unprotected and take personal responsibility for monitoring battery level

Yeah, I’m more like this kind Big Smile

jon_slider wrote:
buy lights with built in protection

I try to, but sometimes they don’t “spec” it LOL

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

If the light have no problems with the lenght, I have not problem in buy 14500 protected. 18650 are very common and realiable, but there are not a lot invested in create top quality 14500 (I think), for 14500 I always prefer protected batteries.

In any case, probably I will use my tool AA (when arrive) with NiMH P. Eneloop of fujitsu (the most reliable for NiMH) or with Primaly Lithium. For Li-Ion there are nice and compact EDC 18650 today Big Smile

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

Got mine

It’s not really compact, the same size as a T10.
Low mode should be lower, tint is really cold white, with hints of green around the spot and some purple hue in the outer spill (due to AR glass I would guess).
High mode on Eneloop is not impressive, lower than my T10.
On 14500 it’s impressive, I think this one will run on li-ion Smile
The clip is not sturdy (same quality than AAA tool), but is sturdy enough to stay on the light firmly.
Tailcap is good, the clicky switch is precise and gives a good feedback.
I will not use the magnetic tailcap, because I don’t like AA twisties.

It should find a place in my EDC rotation, after a Nichia swap Wink

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1420
Location: Nice, France
X3 wrote:
Got mine…

Does it have the raised ring around the positive contact on the driver which mandates button top cells?

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers
patmurris wrote:
X3 wrote:
Got mine…

Does it have the raised ring around the positive contact on the driver which mandates button top cells?


"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

219C swap

So, 14mm aluminum LED board, non DTP.
I don’t know what the SMD component is, but I guess it’s just a shunt (0 ohm)
Anyway, much better now with the 219C 5000K

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal

- X3- wrote:

It seems very similar to the Pineapple Reylight driver. Seems to have a little “top” to make contact with the battery, right?
Did you use 14500 with or without button top? Any “rattle” with the battery?

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2120
Location: Southeast, PA

X3 wrote:
Got mine

It’s not really compact, the same size as a T10.
Low mode should be lower, tint is really cold white, with hints of green around the spot and some purple hue in the outer spill (due to AR glass I would guess).
High mode on Eneloop is not impressive, lower than my T10.
On 14500 it’s impressive, I think this one will run on li-ion Smile
The clip is not sturdy (same quality than AAA tool), but is sturdy enough to stay on the light firmly.
Tailcap is good, the clicky switch is precise and gives a good feedback.
I will not use the magnetic tailcap, because I don’t like AA twisties.

It should find a place in my EDC rotation, after a Nichia swap Wink

Thanks for the review, just saved me money.
Don’t need another AA Flashlight with cold tint that needs an emitter upgrade.
Was hoping they would be at least a neutral white and also think you are spot on about the AR glass making things worse.
Later,

Keith

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country
..

No matter where you go, there you are.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

MascaratumB wrote:
- X3- wrote:

It seems very similar to the Pineapple Reylight driver. Seems to have a little “top” to make contact with the battery, right?
Did you use 14500 with or without button top? Any “rattle” with the battery?


That was with a button top 14500, and the battery rattles a bit, tolerance is a bit lose in diamter

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal
- X3- wrote:
That was with a button top 14500, and the battery rattles a bit, tolerance is a bit lose in diamter

Thanks – X3-!! Mine will arrive the next days! Gonna see how the cells I have work ! Thumbs Up

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7824
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

thank you for the extra info

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

BIG THANKS for helping me by using my REFLinks

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16175
Location: Amsterdam

Tja….

Today I received the Tool AA, and quite unfortunately (for Lumintop) today I also received a Utorch UT01 (my first), both lights have a Cree XP-L led and both are suitable for use with NiMh and alkalines. I got them for a comparable price.

Let me start with this: nowadays the only reason for me to buy a AA format flashlight is for use with Eneloops, since the Aspire 18350 has become available I hardly see rationality for 14500 lights anymore unless the capacity will at least double. In that perspective here’s my impression:

So I placed an Eneloop Pro cell in both flashlights, both were at 1.33 V. Here’s how they look side-by-side on a white wall, ToolAA on the right:

That output difference is so huge!!! the ToolAA is roasted by the Utorch, nothing can make up for that anymore, mind that the Tool AA is a brand new light with a Cree XP-L, how hard can it be?! In numbers, with these reasonably charged up Eneloops, at 30s: 248lm for the UT01 (flat regulated. Very nice!), 84lm for the ToolAA (slowly dropping). Swapping the batteries did not change anything. Btw, the tint of the Utorch is quite a bit better (plain white with a hint of rose) than the tint of the Tool (slightly greenish yellow).

Waving the two lights in front of my phone camera shows the low frequency PWM (<1000Hz) of the ToolAA, while no PWM can be seen with the UT01.

Conclusion: Lumintop listen, I really like the form factor of the ToolAA but your boost drivers are lightyears behind the competition, the ToolAA is a nice upgrade for an ancient Ultrafire C3, but even with its XP-L it has nothing to do with a modern flashlight.

Left to right: Utorch UT01, JaxmanE2L (my EDC, 1200lm of 97CRI), Lumintop ToolAA, Ultrafire C3

ISO
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 11/02/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 173
Location: Sweden

Thanks Djoss for the info…Sadly I bought this light because I wanted some AA flashlight. And I have the Utorch UT01 but if your picture is right I will bury this light and never buy a light from lumintop anymore. This is disgusting.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16175
Location: Amsterdam

ISO wrote:
Thanks Djoss for the info…Sadly I bought this light because I wanted some AA flashlight. And I have the Utorch UT01 but if your picture is right I will bury this light and never buy a light from lumintop anymore. This is disgusting.

I would not call it disgusting, Lumintop has work to do! I like almost all of their designs, now they need to get their electronics in order.
patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1420
Location: Nice, France

How is the runtime on NiMH? It might not be bad if it does not pull much on the cell?
How does it do on 14500?

Mine should show up soon…

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16175
Location: Amsterdam

patmurris wrote:
How is the runtime on NiMH? It might not be bad if it does not pull much on the cell?
How does it do on 14500?

Mine should show up soon…


I will measure current and calculate efficiency tonight, not expecting anything special there. I’m sure the ToolAA will be useful if not much light is needed, but for that I can use my old C3 too.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4225
Location: Portugal
djozz wrote:
I would not call it disgusting, Lumintop has work to do! I like almost all of their designs, now they need to get their electronics in order.

Is it from me or they have the same kind of UI in almost all their small lights? L-M-H, no moonlight, nothing “outside the box” from some years now?

I don’t have any LT, this will be my first, but their look always get my attention, but then, reading the specs, I usually refrain from buying as they seem to be very similar.
I’m not saying that they should have lots of things – I normally prefer simple ones – but their lights deserves a better “electronic” part as you say!
Maybe the cooperation with BLF for the FW3A can open their “horizons” and maybe they import some of the “savoir-faire” from here!

This or the next week I’ll receive the Sofirn SF14 and SP10A and gonna compare them with the LT Tool AA, just to perceive how the brands are doing things…

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

L-M-H is okay, IMO but should be better spaced…
1 lumen is enough for L
50 lumens will suit any everyday situation for M
200 lumens as a bonus for H

Basically, this is Thrunite UI on the T10 and it’s why I keep mine in my Pocket.

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

Pages