*BLF LT1 Lantern Project* (LT1 GB is Active, (GB codes being sent out soon!

7981 posts / 0 new
Last post
BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 264
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

CJ Avlis wrote:
Still anxiously awaiting my Q8…but lets not forget a big part of what makes this light so amazing. It cost $40…go ahead say it out loud…forty dollars!

Keep it simple.


This. I don’t want multi-purpose, jack of all trades master of none finicky contraptions with loose bits that you can’t find or get lost.
BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 264
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Convoy should make this. Very good value for money and generally high quality.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

BazzH wrote:
CJ Avlis wrote:
Still anxiously awaiting my Q8…but lets not forget a big part of what makes this light so amazing. It cost $40…go ahead say it out loud…forty dollars!

Keep it simple.


This. I don’t want multi-purpose, jack of all trades master of none finicky contraptions with loose bits that you can’t find or get lost.

That is the plan. to build a simple, reliable, low cost compact lantern that will do what a lantern is supposed to do, ( which what is lacking at the moment in the lantern industry from any store-bought & most online bought LED lanterns.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 264
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Exactly. That’s what I want Big Smile

dthoang
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 13:30
Posts: 319
Location: Austin, TX USA

I’m back from a long hiatus away from BLF. I saw this thread when I checked in now and then. Here’s a simplistic idea that I’d like some feedback on.

My simple idea is to re-purpose a commercial household LED light bulb and replace the AC power supply with a DC power supply. The ideal bulb should already have good CRI and beam profile for lighting a room or 360-degree open space.

What do you guys and gals think?

one year rookie

angerdan
angerdan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 10:07
Posts: 426

Durability during transport would be an problem. It’s not rugged enough and maybe wouldn’t weatherproof.
Also power source would be a problem, since this would cause three components to use (powerbank, cable and lantern/bulb).

A dedicated lantern makes sense for outdoor use.
For indor use an DC bulb could be an option.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

dthoang wrote:
I’m back from a long hiatus away from BLF. I saw this thread when I checked in now and then. Here’s a simplistic idea that I’d like some feedback on.

My simple idea is to re-purpose a commercial household LED light bulb and replace the AC power supply with a DC power supply. The ideal bulb should already have good CRI and beam profile for lighting a room or 360-degree open space.

What do you guys and gals think?

I already did that modification with a Coleman florescent lantern, and modded a 11-watt 120 volt bulb to run on its 12 volt DC power.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

dthoang
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 13:30
Posts: 319
Location: Austin, TX USA

DBSAR wrote:
dthoang wrote:
I’m back from a long hiatus away from BLF. I saw this thread when I checked in now and then. Here’s a simplistic idea that I’d like some feedback on.

My simple idea is to re-purpose a commercial household LED light bulb and replace the AC power supply with a DC power supply. The ideal bulb should already have good CRI and beam profile for lighting a room or 360-degree open space.

What do you guys and gals think?

I already did that modification with a Coleman florescent lantern, and modded a 11-watt 120 volt bulb to run on its 12 volt DC power.

Do you have a build post?

one year rookie

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

dthoang wrote:

Do you have a build post?

sadly i didn’t do a build post, but here is a photo of the modified lantern with the Philips 11-watt household bulb. The Lantern draws less amps from the batteries with the LED bulb than it did with the CFL bulb it originally had, (for more run time) and its brighter on high mode. Also it has much better tint with the 3200K bulb. (i used the original remote-control lantern’s control circuit) A also added a 12 volt-in port & power source selector switch so it can be powered by a car cig-lighter cord, a wall adapter, or with a battery clamp cord to run from a boat or car battery for continuous running.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2273
Location: Lost Islands ™

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15778
Location: Amsterdam

MountainKing wrote:
What’s wrong with this Fenix?
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/cl25r-camping-lantern/

The Fenix lantern is a well-thoughtout thing.
But the light it emits looks very cool and 1×18650 does not have the runtime of 4×18650.
And it is quite ugly of course, a lantern should be pleasant to look at Smile
DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada
MountainKing wrote:
What’s wrong with this Fenix? https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/cl25r-camping-lantern/

I also had one of those, They are ok, but feels cheap for the price paid, (entirely plastic) low run times on higher modes with single 18650 cell, and tint is a bit too cool for lantern use.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9630
Location: Charente France

Heheh that plastic “fantastic” thing is something I would only get when I saw it for $4 without and $8 with cell. How much is it?

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada
The Miller wrote:
Heheh that plastic “fantastic” thing is something I would only get when I saw it for $4 without and $8 with cell. How much is it?

I remember seeing a clone of that Fenix lantern somewhere for a far less cost than the Fenix brand one above, but can’t remember where it was sold.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

UPDATE: Oct,8,2017: – A TP4056 type USB Micro charging circuit has been added to the lantern prototype.
With full depleted cells, the lantern pulls 1.06 amps from the USB charger, and that drops as the cells charge to full. (this gives roughly 250mA to each cell so its a slower charge, but will be better for the cells longevity in the long run. Right now the Lantern will charge depleted cells, (below 3 volts) to full in a day charging on a 1.0~2.0A wall charger. I am currently testing the lantern Run-times per night versus charge times on a 11-watt solar USB folding charger per day, to test its ability as an off grid light for indefinite use.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 2406
Location: Canuk in NM

Way cool !! Good to see.

BLF Member Map Add your name and location.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9630
Location: Charente France

Awesome!
For real version a little more amps could be wise if the input allows it, but sure cool to see this process.

maildroid
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 04/06/2016 - 20:32
Posts: 305
Location: nc new bern

That’s great. Need one for hurricanes. Can you ramp up or down the brightest as needed ?

"Let your lite shine "

Dutcheee
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2015 - 21:40
Posts: 420
Location: Netherlands

Nice!

Do you also have plans to be able to use it as a powerbank, to charge you cellphone or GPS in an emergency?

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada
The Miller wrote:
Awesome! For real version a little more amps could be wise if the input allows it, but sure cool to see this process.

Most 10 watt solar chargers seem to output roughly around 1 watt at 5 volts in full direct sunlight, but drops as the sun goes down or during cloudy periods. The TP4056 seems to be able to compensate that quite well, and still provide a “trickle” charge even at just 400 milliamps input. For wall plugs then it seems to pull its rated amps. (i use an inline USB volt/amp meter for testing)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada
maildroid wrote:
That’s great. Need one for hurricanes. Can you ramp up or down the brightest as needed ?

The prototype has 4 modes, ( Moonlight, Low, medium & High with no PWM. (based from the Q-Lite revision of the Nanjq 105C driver.)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

Dutcheee wrote:
Nice!

Do you also have plans to be able to use it as a powerbank, to charge you cellphone or GPS in an emergency?

That is a possibility option were working on for the actual production model, as it would be a good feature to have for emergencies. Using four good 3200~3500mAh high capacity cells in the lantern would make it a high capacity power bank in addition to a lantern than can run for many days on a single charge.
( i have not added a USB charge output circuit yet to the lantern, and may if i can find the space inside driver area of the lantern to add one.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Dutcheee
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2015 - 21:40
Posts: 420
Location: Netherlands

This sounds and looks very nice. I like your field testing and modding.
If it will have a nice warm tint, I’m sure I’ll buy one Thumbs Up

I camp regularly, and the more (reliable) use per gram, the better. I have the same camo chinese solar panel you’ve got. It’s great to use outdoors with a powerbank.

This looks like a very versatile (light) energy source able to replace multiple devices. Hope this comes into production with all the features!

contigo
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 11 hours ago
Joined: 06/15/2016 - 17:17
Posts: 204

I would get this!
I like the idea of being able to use it on a 3-4 day camping trip, on lower modes.
The usb charging would be a nice feature (for me), and charging it with solar during the day Thumbs Up

I havent read the whole thread(yet). Is this still in the early stages, meaning: has there been any discussion with a manufacturer yet?
Im guessing pricing is WAY too early to guess? If it lands in the $40 range, im all in.

Dirt
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2016 - 23:17
Posts: 444

Excellent work, glad to see progress.

CRX
CRX's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3770
Location: Scotland

A TP5000 charging board can give up to 2A charge current, I have one in my Noctigon meteor and it will charge 4 30Q’s in a little over six hours from a suitable power supply. Just an idea.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

Dutcheee wrote:
This sounds and looks very nice. I like your field testing and modding.
If it will have a nice warm tint, I’m sure I’ll buy one Thumbs Up

I camp regularly, and the more (reliable) use per gram, the better. I have the same camo chinese solar panel you’ve got. It’s great to use outdoors with a powerbank.

This looks like a very versatile (light) energy source able to replace multiple devices. Hope this comes into production with all the features!

The plan is to be Warmer white light, ( The lantern currently has a 3700~4000K tint, and have modded lanterns with 3200K & 2700K. The idea here for this BLF lantern is for it to do what most factory & store bought lanterns don’t have. Warmer higher CRI tint, bright, long run times in all modes, compact, durable, versatile, with the best features like changeable LiIon cells, built in charging, the best practical modes for lantern use.

The solar panel in the photo was one of those 5 ~ 7 watt cheapos, but i modded it with additional folding panels as seen in the photo to increase the output to 11 ~ 12 watt range for charging larger USB devices faster.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada

contigo wrote:
I would get this!
I like the idea of being able to use it on a 3-4 day camping trip, on lower modes.
The usb charging would be a nice feature (for me), and charging it with solar during the day Thumbs Up

I havent read the whole thread(yet). Is this still in the early stages, meaning: has there been any discussion with a manufacturer yet?
Im guessing pricing is WAY too early to guess? If it lands in the $40 range, im all in.

Right now using four 3200mAh 18650’s in the lantern it will run for 4 ~ 5 hours per night on High no problem for 3 or 4 nights on a single charge from my tests. Were hoping the production version will be in that rpice range, ( that will depend on the additional features like USB charging in & outputs.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5843
Location: Ontario, Canada
CRX wrote:
A TP5000 charging board can give up to 2A charge current, I have one in my Noctigon meteor and it will charge 4 30Q’s in a little over six hours from a suitable power supply. Just an idea.

Good points there for faster charging. That would be good for charging from a larger wall supply or a 20-watt or larger solar charger. Right now i believe the particular TP4056 board in the lantern is resistored for 1 Amp.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

scdaf
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 11/01/2011 - 18:52
Posts: 326
Location: United States

Just noticed this. Interested.

Pages