D4 Titanium!!!

127 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 2954
Location: Calif
D4 Titanium!!!
Edited by: saypat on 01/02/2018 - 13:37
AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 3858
Location: Texas

Hope they get a discount code, how about a Ti version of the D1?

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 5837
Location: Holland/Japan

Dont think titanium fits this flashlight, sorry.

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 2954
Location: Calif
the D1 is probably next up for Ti. The D4 is $80 for raw Ti with 18650 tube and Nichia. Everything else adds $. Who wouldn’t want a gaggle these beauties?
ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 5837
Location: Holland/Japan

saypat wrote:
the D1 is probably next up for Ti. The D4 is $80 for raw Ti with 18650 tube and Nichia. Everything else adds $. Who wouldn't want a gaggle these beauties?
Wink Just not my kind of Titanium cup of light Silly
JakeDjanitor
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/27/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 916
Location: North East USA

Group buy maybe?
98$ for 4k version not anodized is lot of money

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1133
Location: Netherlands

I like it, but i’m still not convinced enough to buy one due to the price

Thijsco19 wrote:

a regular symptom of flasholism Big Smile

“Flasholism is the most severe form of flashlight use and involves the inability to manage your flashlight use habits. It is also commonly referred to as flashlight use disorder. Flashlight use disorder is organized into three categories: mild, moderate and severe. Each category has various symptoms and can cause harmful side effects. If left untreated, any type of flashlight use can spiral out of control.”

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 41 min ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1759
Location: Alameda, CA

I’m waiting for the D7! lets see how it come out.

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4212
Location: Germany

D4 with copper head and black 18650 body would be nice
titanium makes no sense as its not good for high power lights
aluminum can get at least some of the heat away from the copper head

PH_Oton
PH_Oton's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/21/2014 - 08:15
Posts: 157
Location: Croatia

Is it me or titanium just doesn’t make sense in this configuration? Physically and performance wise!
Apart from arguable fancy appearance of colour choices (I don’t think any of this colours matches copper. Maybe with forced patina? CRX will understand me, probably Hat )
Intead of titanium I would love to see aluminium tube, tailcap and bezel with copper “engine” for a bit more price over standard D4 or for 80-90$ offering full copper. That would be step forward.
Titanium is heavier than aluminium, it has poor thermal conductivity compared to copper and ridiculously high electrical resistance compared to copper, aluminium and their alloys which leads to lower amps which might be desirable considering thermal downgrade of body but who wants to compensate all this for a double price of standard model is boggling my mind.
Maybe I am just too harsh or plain stupid?

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 2954
Location: Calif

appreciate the knowledgeable posts regarding Titanium…..

JakeDjanitor
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/27/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 916
Location: North East USA

I personally want one, I want the natural titanium one. But the cost is out of my range.
I don’t mind losing a couple hundred lumens to have the titanium. But the increase in cost is just to substantial…
I can buy an armytek or other larger name brand that is built to swim with and handle the recoil on a .12 gauge for this price.

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1148
Location: mid USA left coast

this could be what the S42/E14 II promised….

butt the Ti puts it out of budget range (that’s 2 Q8’s) and performance suffers against al/cu

I’m in for copper or aluminum body w/copper head

(weight is relative to satisfaction)

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2750
Location: California

The copper and titanium version isn’t for performance … it’s for BLING! Cool

For flashlight use, aluminum is by far the best material. The aluminum version of the D4 is half the weight of the copper-titanium version. And think about how the copper head on the new D4 will work? … it will get burning hot within seconds, including the critical area right around the button. It will probably be necessary to set the temp stepdown to a lower temp in this version than with the aluminum version.

So why do people like copper and titanium so much? one word: BLING. It looks cool and a bit unique even though it’s much less practical.

FPV
FPV's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/14/2017 - 12:36
Posts: 546
Location: Traveling on the job

Love the look! all my lights are black with a few SS ones. this is a welcome change… very nice.

firedome
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/16/2016 - 05:45
Posts: 490
Location: Skagen - Denmark

The titanium is not the best conductor of heat so on a hot build with that driver the guts can get very hot very quickly Facepalm

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

-Plato

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 day ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3614
Location: RO
firedome wrote:
The titanium is not the best conductor of heat so on a hot build with that driver the guts can get very hot very quickly Facepalm

Aluminum is way worse than Copper, the “numbers” suggest.
Yet, DTP Aluminum vs DTP Copper barely any difference in real life tests Facepalm

I would like to see a test with a D4 vs D4Ti in 18350 and the same LED type, with both flashlights configured thermally at the same level before the test (as there seems to be great significance in how the MCUs read the temperature by default), that shows the D4Ti is significantly worse than aluminum, to the same magnitude of difference as the “numbers” suggest.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 1455
Location: Crowdifornia

Some of us are trying to apply logic and reason, to a light that is purely an emotional buy.

there is no practical reason for a light that can get so hot it burns your hand, but people flock to buy multiple D4 lights

there is no practical reason for a light that is capable of thousands of lumens, but cannot maintain more than 500 for any amount of time, but people flock to buy multiple D4 lights

there is no practical reason for a light with a ramping interface that has no discrete, repeatable, lumen levels.. but.. D4 buyers flock like lemmings to the sea

there is no practical reason for a light that can drain an 18650 in 10 minutes, but that has not stopped the D4 from being purchased in higher numbers than any other light on BLF

the benefit of a Titanium body is that it insulates the hand from excess heat, except that using the switch to turn it off will lead to some heat shock from touching the copper head

then there is the PWM above 150 lumens, but who cares, regulation is overrated

Buy the D4 not because it makes sense, buy it because everybody knows it is the Hot Ticket Smile

hatman
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 11/25/2012 - 16:07
Posts: 115
Location: Midwest

Firelight2 wrote:
The copper and titanium version isn’t for performance … it’s for BLING! Cool

For flashlight use, aluminum is by far the best material. The aluminum version of the D4 is half the weight of the copper-titanium version. And think about how the copper head on the new D4 will work? … it will get burning hot within seconds, including the critical area right around the button. It will probably be necessary to set the temp stepdown to a lower temp in this version than with the aluminum version.

So why do people like copper and titanium so much? one word: BLING. It looks cool and a bit unique even though it’s much less practical.

Absolutely agreed.

If there were no black aluminum version many of us would be asking for one.

texas shooter
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/26/2012 - 02:14
Posts: 1095
Location: Texas

jon_slider wrote:
Some of us are trying to apply logic and reason, to a light that is purely an emotional buy.

there is no practical reason for a light that can get so hot it burns your hand, but people flock to buy multiple D4 lights

there is no practical reason for a light that is capable of thousands of lumens, but cannot maintain more than 500 for any amount of time, but people flock to buy multiple D4 lights

there is no practical reason for a light with a ramping interface that has no discrete, repeatable, lumen levels.. but.. D4 buyers flock like lemmings to the sea

there is no practical reason for a light that can drain an 18650 in 10 minutes, but that has not stopped the D4 from being purchased in higher numbers than any other light on BLF

the benefit of a Titanium body is that it insulates the hand from excess heat, except that using the switch to turn it off will lead to some heat shock from touching the copper head

then there is the PWM above 150 lumens, but who cares, regulation is overrated

Buy the D4 not because it makes sense, buy it because everybody knows it is the Hot Ticket Smile

Stated perfectly. I bought these for that pretty little hot rod they are. Copper head improved performance, but really how much being so small. These lights I got for it’s Lego ability, bling and being the latest in geek art. Now if they sold as a la carte I’d be even poorer.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2750
Location: California

texas shooter wrote:
…Copper head improved performance, but really how much being so small.

I predict the copper head will have WORSE thermal performance than aluminum.
  • Copper conducts heat better and the copper head will get burning hot considerably faster. Copper can also store more heat so it will get and stay hotter than anodized aluminum.
  • Shiny copper and titanium has lower emissivity than anodized aluminum so isn’t as good at radiating the heat to atmosphere.
  • The titanium around the head also won’t help. Titanium is a poor conductor of heat and won’t do a good job at wicking heat away from the head. This is unlike the aluminum version whose body tubes are quite thick and do a good job absorbing some of the heat. In the titanium D4, even more heat will stay concentrated in the head, rather than being distributed throughout the light.

End result will most likely be the user will have to keep the temperature sensor set to a lower temperature in the titanium version than in the aluminum version to avoid unwanted burns when trying to activate the button.

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 2899
Location: Scotland

The titanium tubes will also help a bit to stop the cells being cooked from the inside and out Big Smile
I’m just dreading doing all the D4 mods again to a ti version LOL

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1219
Location: Nice, France

I was expecting those Ti D4 since someone posted pictures a few weeks ago… but i’m quite disappointed.

The only one that appeals to me is the raw Ti, but with XPL and 18350 tube it sums up to almost $110. Way too expensive IMO. That’s a few dollars short of what i paid for the GT (first 555). Flat Stare

The colored ones are awful to my taste. None do match the copper head (maybe the C washed out purple one…) and seem to have been ‘designed’ by a color blind person… Not mentioning the $15 premium.

Not the best move by Hank IMO.

I would rather be interested in a copper head and aluminum body (bare or anodized) version if the price is right.

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 593
Location: Manchester

One of our fav lights of 2017 the D4 now has a ti flavour available…………..whats not to like. The D4 is a crazy fun light, great UI with pretty much some of the better LED and colour temp options to suit most. I have noticed over the years, fav lights(well so to speak) people tend to want a ti version, be it the more expensive BOSS or limited RA HDS ti. Now a D4ti imo is pretty awesome, who cares if you get 8s of 3500lm instead of 15s(example) of……………..its ti. Can be polished, other advantages like being very resistant to chemicals along with looking cool! Also i hate lots of chips and dings in ano, lights can soon look scruffy, ti/stainless holds up better and i prefer these options for certain flashlight applications.

I can not think of a quad(or triple, think $700+ on the stunning ti BOSS here) for around $100 give/take………….in the scheme its a bargain. I like the raw and will be adding it to my D4 family at some point. Not over keen on the coloured ones………..subjective.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 day ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3614
Location: RO
Hikelite wrote:
firedome wrote:
The titanium is not the best conductor of heat so on a hot build with that driver the guts can get very hot very quickly Facepalm

Aluminum is way worse than Copper, the “numbers” suggest.
Yet, DTP Aluminum vs DTP Copper barely any difference in real life tests Facepalm

I would like to see a test with a D4 vs D4Ti in 18350 and the same LED type, with both flashlights configured thermally at the same level before the test (as there seems to be great significance in how the MCUs read the temperature by default), that shows the D4Ti is significantly worse than aluminum, to the same magnitude of difference as the “numbers” suggest.

I’d rather want to see a test rather than predictions, like the statement the driver will die, which is an invalid statement considering there is a thermal function implemented in the first place.

preditions & thermal ratings versus reality

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4212
Location: Germany

The best MCPCB does not help if the lights body does not conduct heat well, copper head is good, but titanium sucks

JakeDjanitor
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/27/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 916
Location: North East USA

I am in the market for a new edc and that ti raw finish looks so nice.
But will it be brighter than my convoy s2+ 2800 mah when run for more than a few minutes straight? Or will it dim down and not give me the output I would like

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5237
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Lexel wrote:
The best MCPCB does not help if the lights body does not conduct heat well, copper head is good, but titanium sucks

Would be nice if the copper head was sold separately.

Q

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4212
Location: Germany
Jerommel wrote:
Lexel wrote:
The best MCPCB does not help if the lights body does not conduct heat well, copper head is good, but titanium sucks
Would be nice if the copper head was sold separately.

my best guess would be copper head, aluminum Tube and bezel and titanium tail cap

ktmabc
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/04/2018 - 09:36
Posts: 1
Location: Vietnam

I disagree with firedome comment. It is the best

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 6733
Location: Birthplace of Aviation
Does anyone have a picture of an aluminum one stripped down ? Someone has to have done it by now .

καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

 

Anyone interested in Dc-Fix pm me.

Pages