Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

17371 posts / 0 new
Last post
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

I’m still surprised they haven’t simply offered it with a cool white emitter. This seems like a very easy option for them to do.

I don’t think there’s anything they can do to improve the user interface or driver. Unless they want to make it cheaper and less powerful. Sick

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4258
Location: San Diego, CA

With the cost and risk of developing new optics, that was a moonshot wish. It would’ve been nice to have a light more comparable in size and output to the M43 with the UI of the Q8 though. Actually, I’d be okay with a mule and shortening the head since it wouldn’t have optics, but the market for mules seems to be tiny, which makes that a nonstarter. I’d still like them to ditch the flats on the battery tube. It’d speed production on a feature that does little to nothing.

I’d love to see them come up with accessories. While the AOD-L diffuser works, a silicone diffuser would be better in a few ways. The tailcap I want could be an accessory so that all Q8 owners wouldn’t have a longer light forced on them. I’ll have to see if my injection molding machine can handle a shot big enough for a diffuser so I can get at least one of those things.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1435
Location: Germany

JasonWW wrote:
I’m still surprised they haven’t simply offered it with a cool white emitter. This seems like a very easy option for them to do.

I don’t think there’s anything they can do to improve the user interface or driver. Unless they want to make it cheaper and less powerful. Sick

For the UI they can use NarsilM v1.3 instead of 1.0, they can adjust some times or they go with Andúril.

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4372
Location: Texas

Today I recieved my new Q8 lighted switch to replace the stock switch that was flickering and later just stopped working. Can someone help with the wiring of the switch? The stock wires are all red and the new one have different colors can you tell me which wire goes where?

Thanks in advance for your help

Here is a pic of the driver, the wires go on the right on the pads named G, L, S

Here is a pic of the back side of the new Q8 lighted switch

Thanks in advance for your help.

AlexGT

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 1117
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY

AlexGT wrote:
Can someone help with the wiring of the switch? The stock wires are all red and the new one have different colors can you tell me which wire goes where?

.

This might be helpful

.

Sorry for my bad English (gogole transtorla)

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4372
Location: Texas

I see, Thanks I’ll give it a try and report back…

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4372
Location: Texas

It worked! Thank you so much! Smile Beer

This is the correct wiring for the replacement BLF Q8 Switch…

I put a small dot of crazy glue to prevent the switch from rotating when I screw back the silicone boot

Spiderlight
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/24/2017 - 19:17
Posts: 100
Location: Germany

djozz wrote:
qandeel wrote:
Is there a way to order a new lense for my Q8? It is broken from 1.5 meter fall.

It is not listed but you can ask for it on the Sofirn aliexpress website, they will probably sell it.

And kaidomain has one that fits too, supposedly the AR coating is better than the stock Q8: http://kaidomain.com/p/S027343.55mm-x-3mm-Multi-Layer-AR-Coated-Lens

Bought one too. Maybe I’ll come back and ask how to dismantle the lamp’s head if I have some issues.

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

It’s easy. You just need to have some good strength.

If not, just use some carpet to help you open it.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 345
Location: Shenzhen, China

BlueSwordM wrote:
Yeah. Just offering the Q8 MCPCB would be a huge boon.

I asked Miranda for a spare MCPCB, and they said they don’t offer it separately.

original Q8 MCPCB is available on Aliexpres Big Smile Big Smile Facepalm Facepalm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLF-Q8-Driver-Chip-Q8-Circuit-Board/3286...

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1458
Location: Manila, Philippines

Tracy Wan—-Sofirn wrote:
BlueSwordM wrote:
Yeah. Just offering the Q8 MCPCB would be a huge boon.

I asked Miranda for a spare MCPCB, and they said they don’t offer it separately.

original Q8 MCPCB is available on Aliexpres Big Smile Big Smile Facepalm Facepalm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLF-Q8-Driver-Chip-Q8-Circuit-Board/3286...

Actually, I have seen that BLF Q8 MCPCB in the Sofirn AliExpress Store from several weeks ago (I often browse the Sofirn AliExpress store…), just didn’t know if it’s the original one or not. Since Tracy from Sofirn assures us that it is the original one, this would be good for those who need BLF Q8 replacement parts.

There are also a few other BLF Q8 replacement parts (BLF Q8 reflector, and switch assembly) from the Sofirn AliExpress store, in case anyone needs them:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLF-Q8-Accessories-lighted-swit...DTP-MCPCB-Reflector-for-Q8/2933049_32879434650.html
BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

@Tracy, I was the one who ordered 2xMCPCBs a while ago a few days ago.

And yes, it is the original one. And having messaged Sofirn, they are going to offer some other things soon, including the battery tube, and the tailcap. And a special surprise I will not tell yet.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal

I just got the Q8 and loving it so far Smile

Thanks to everyone that worked on this project!!!!

Question: I am trying to find out if it’s worth the hassle to get a handlebar tripod mount to use the Q8 as a bike light. What do you guys think?

My concern is the weight of the Q8, although very compact for how bright it is, it does weight a bit when loaded up with all four 18650 batteries.

Just want to get some feedback on this especially from anyone who has looked into doing the same, thanks!

Man Without Shadow
Man Without Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 02/20/2017 - 18:17
Posts: 436
Location: Wisconsin

I wouldn’t want to trust only a tripod mount on a bouncy, pot holed bike ride with such a heavy light. I would feel more confident with some kind of large strap(s) or circular clamp holding the body.

heres a vid of a bike mount and a thread with some pics…scroll down…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxWAdnCzGc

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/blf-q8-bars-5-000-lumen-monst...

When I'm spending mony foolishly, I like to do it wi$ely...

I have all the flashlights I need, but not as many as I want...

 

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4258
Location: San Diego, CA

I wouldn’t do it. Maybe we can talk Sofirn into making a remote battery tube adapter.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal

Man Without Shadow wrote:
I wouldn’t want to trust only a tripod mount on a bouncy, pot holed bike ride with such a heavy light. I would feel more confident with some kind of large strap(s) or circular clamp holding the body.

heres a vid of a bike mount and a thread with some pics…scroll down…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxWAdnCzGc

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/blf-q8-bars-5-000-lumen-monst...

From the mtbr thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/blf-q8-bars-5-000-lumen-monst... That a nice looking plate/adaptor/mount thingy Smile

leaftye wrote:
I wouldn’t do it. Maybe we can talk Sofirn into making a remote battery tube adapter.

That’s a good idea, a remote battery pack and while we’re at it, how about a short replacement for the battery tube with connectors for the cable going to the remote battery case. One can dream Smile

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4258
Location: San Diego, CA
flashycali wrote:
leaftye wrote:
I wouldn’t do it. Maybe we can talk Sofirn into making a remote battery tube adapter.

That’s a good idea, a remote battery pack and while we’re at it, how about a short replacement for the battery tube with connectors for the cable going to the remote battery case. One can dream Smile

That’s what I meant. It’d be two caps with contact boards and a cable to connect them. If it was used with the upcoming extendable battery tube, battery life could be made virtually limitless. I’ve seen pictures of a solution like this, but no details. It could work with 3d printed parts too, which would keep weight down further.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

goshdogit
goshdogit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 21:28
Posts: 1026

flashycali wrote:
I am trying to find out if it’s worth the hassle to get a handlebar tripod mount to use the Q8 as a bike light.
I used a ‘50mm quick-release truss clamp’ to make a tripod mount for my Noctigon Meteor M43, which lacks a threaded hole. The Meteor and Q8 both fit nicely in the 50mm truss clamp. I stretched some old tubes onto my clamps to increase friction and prevent scratches.

For mounting to a bike or ATV, connect another smaller clamp to grip the handlebars. This makes the light’s angle easily adjustable.

My 35mm truss clamp above closes down to almost an inch. There are also 20mm or 3/4 inch clamps on eBay.

Be sure to use a quick-release truss for the light’s end, so you can easily detach the Q8 when you’re not riding. It seems the smaller diameter clamps aren’t widely available with quick-releases.

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal
leaftye wrote:
That’s what I meant. It’d be two caps with contact boards and a cable to connect them. If it was used with the upcoming extendable battery tube, battery life could be made virtually limitless. I’ve seen pictures of a solution like this, but no details. It could work with 3d printed parts too, which would keep weight down further.

Sounds like a good child project to the Q8. Wish I had a workshop that I can take on these project.

goshdogit wrote:
I used a ‘50mm quick-release truss clamp’ to make a tripod mount for my Noctigon Meteor M43, which lacks a threaded hole. The Meteor and Q8 both fit nicely in the 50mm truss clamp. I stretched some old tubes onto my clamps to increase friction and prevent scratches.

For mounting to a bike or ATV, connect another smaller clamp to grip the handlebars. This makes the light’s angle easily adjustable.

My 35mm truss clamp above closes down to almost an inch. There are also 20mm or 3/4 inch clamps on eBay.

Be sure to use a quick-release truss for the light’s end, so you can easily detach the Q8 when you’re not riding. It seems the smaller diameter clamps aren’t widely available with quick-releases.

That looks really nice. Especially how the inner tube fits on the clamp, totally look factory.

Question, do you have any issues with stability, shaking or flexing?

Thanks for your help. Thumbs Up

fedcas
fedcas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 19:42
Posts: 281
Location: Italy

uhm… I was in the first batch list for the Q8, but then I gave my reservation up to someone else because I was in tight circumstances… but now of course I regret :s I payed 40 USD for the D4, which is worth it, but this massive light for the same price was just a gift… wondering what is the lowest price it has been sold after that. I remember deals around 50-55 usd… has it ever dropped to 40 again?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

Not at 40$, but 46,50$:
https://m4dm4x.com/blf-q8-arrived/

Enjoy.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal

Have been playing with my new toy – BLF Q8 and still loving it.

While playing with the Q8 last night I noticed something that is not on the owner’s manual or the cheat sheet so I thought I would post my observation here to see if I can get more information on this unlisted “feature”.

Ok so this is what I did:

1) From off, hold and ramp up the brightness till it started to ramp up and let go of the switch.
2) Hold and ramp down the brightness and HOLD the switch down until the light is at the lowest brightness (indicated by one quick blink of the switch).
3) Let go of the switch, within 1/2 second push and release the switch one time.

Doing the above, the switch will blink once and will no longer glow green until you turn on and off the Q8 again.

Now I’m not sure if this is only happening on this version of the firmware (if there has been different versions for the Q8) or I just have a special Q8.

Thought I would post it on here and see what you guys think.

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

This is actually a bug which turned into a feature.

If you click on then off fast enough, that will shut off the button.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal

BlueSwordM wrote:
This is actually a bug which turned into a feature.

If you click on then off fast enough, that will shut off the button.

Thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming.

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1435
Location: Germany

You can temporarily switch the green light for the button off by
- switch the Q8 ON and while the buton blinks out the channel switch it OFF. (It is a slowish double press). Or
- while ON ramp a bit and switch it OFF.

I use this bug to switch off the green LED when it sits in the shelf. For normal use I prefer a lit button.

flashycali
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 45 min ago
Joined: 07/12/2014 - 10:19
Posts: 90
Location: So.Cal

So basically turn it off immediately after ramping up or down turns off the switch light for that on/off cycle, cool, thanks! Thumbs Up

GoldenBatt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2016 - 09:07
Posts: 7
Location: Twente, Netherlands

Hello people!

I ordered 3 Q8’s from the first batch for friends and me. However one of three got the button light broken. I remember this was an issue on the first batch. I contacted the miller some time ago, but i heard he was very busy with personal stuff. Can someone here tell me i this is a problem i can fix myself. Or can i order some kit with parts to replace something?

Thanks Smile

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11776
Location: Houston Texas

GoldenBatt wrote:
Hello people!

I ordered 3 Q8’s from the first batch for friends and me. However one of three got the button light broken. I remember this was an issue on the first batch. I contacted the miller some time ago, but i heard he was very busy with personal stuff. Can someone here tell me i this is a problem i can fix myself. Or can i order some kit with parts to replace something?

Thanks Smile


Sofirns Aliexpress store has started carrying Q8 parts. Go here, look under Color choices and you’ll see the switch for $3.

BLF Q8 Accessories lighted switch assembly Copper DTP MCPCB Reflector for Q8
http://s.aliexpress.com/7fmyANBZ

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

GoldenBatt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2016 - 09:07
Posts: 7
Location: Twente, Netherlands

JasonWW wrote:
GoldenBatt wrote:
Hello people!

I ordered 3 Q8’s from the first batch for friends and me. However one of three got the button light broken. I remember this was an issue on the first batch. I contacted the miller some time ago, but i heard he was very busy with personal stuff. Can someone here tell me i this is a problem i can fix myself. Or can i order some kit with parts to replace something?

Thanks Smile


Sofirns Aliexpress store has started carrying Q8 parts. Go here, look under Color choices and you’ll see the switch for $3.

BLF Q8 Accessories lighted switch assembly Copper DTP MCPCB Reflector for Q8
http://s.aliexpress.com/7fmyANBZ

Ordered one, thank you!

fluke
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 04/20/2018 - 13:58
Posts: 407
Location: London United Kingdom

Hi Guy's.

Where can I get spare O rings ?

 

Regards Dave.

Pages