BLF Special Light by Sofirn Named SP70

244 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 80
Location: Shenzhen, China
BLF Special Light by Sofirn Named SP70

Hey BLFers,

 

We create this topic because we saw some BLFers want to keep the Kronos K70 Group Buy going. We would love to help make it but we never did a group buy before, hence we PMed JasonWW for suggestions and try to name it SP20 but we are suggested to do it by ourselves. Also we read the latest replies, some saying since BLFers already have L6 S70S, why don't we make it special?!

Cool, why don't we discuss here? Tell us what kind of special light do you want. The name won't be SP20 (we gonna make it as planned), you guys name it, talk about it, and see if it could be a group buy.

* UPDATE 07/10/2018 *

Okay guys, it seems we are all cool that it's a long light (2*26650 battery tube) with big head (one XHP70 emitter or more). But it seems BLF already have many big lights, but how would this be different?

Oh, please pick name first. A great name would help the talking.

* UPDATE 07/11/2018 *

 Thanks for all those replies, so many ideas! some are really a big step for Sofirn for now to make really BIG monsters. We will make monsters but for now, let's keep it simple and fast.

A similar size of K70, same 26650 battery tube and same 9cm head ( a little bigger than K70's head I guess) for two kind of reflectors: one XHP70 reflector comes first, then multi emitters (3 XHP70 or 3 XHP50 or 3 XHP35 HI or combination, you name it.). It comes with forward clicky tail switch which accept 9A current. Two groups: mode group and ramping group. How is it?

Sofirn

Sofirn is owned by a factory, contact us for any lights you wanna make or contact to be a dealer.

AMAZON US Store

Aliexpress Worldwide Store

Thailand Shopee Store 

Malaysia Shopee Store

Edited by: Sofirn on 07/11/2018 - 03:20
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5164
Location: nyc

BFL-9000?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Satan@103TFS
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 213

I like this form of 2×28650 K70/L6 than the short/fat light ,it more comfortable to hold with decent runtime. Hope the driver push 8-9A as K70 with a bit bigger(for throw) redesign head to look sexier.

FlashTom
FlashTom's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 363
Location: Germany

Let’s call it HAL-9000 and it comes with a huge red COB led behind an aspheric lens Party
…nah…just kiddin’…

I’m not sure if this would ever make sense in conjunction with the K70 design but I would prefer following specs:

  • standardized battery tube 1x / 2× 21700 battery (short tube, long tube) to make it fit for different new Sofirn lights
  • exchangeable head unit (e.g. large reflector with one XHP70.2, multi-emitter reflector with three XHP35 Hi like the Sofirn C8F)
  • boost driver to maintain constant output with decreasing voltage
  • different bezel rings (crenelated, flat, “attack” steel bolts)
  • factory-bridged springs or better double-springs

I'll give you my flashlight when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

skinny_tie
Online
Last seen: 8 sec ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 186
Location: Australia

I only own one Sofirn light at the moment, but their interest in BLF community feedback is quickly making them one of my favourite manufacturers.

My suggestion is to study Narsil and Andúril carefully when developing the UI for the SP20.

I realise that Sofirn might use a different microcintroller, and I wouldn’t expect all of the features of Andúril, but no manufacturer has managed to nail ramping the way Tom E and ToyKeeper have.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4877
Location: Ontario, Canada

skinny_tie wrote:
I only own one Sofirn light at the moment, but with their interest in BLF community feedback is quickly making them one of my favourite manufacturers.

My suggestion is to study Narsil and Andúril carefully when developing the UI for the SP20.

I realise that Sofirn might use a different microcintroller, and I wouldn’t expect all of the features of Andúril, but no manufacturer has managed to nail ramping the way Tom E and ToyKeeper have.

Sofirn’s factory and engineers could be the ones who build the BLF-LT lantern project into a production reality, with the firmware developed by Toykeeper!

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 10661
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Lightbringer wrote:

BFL-9000?

Hilarious!

(I used to play Doom.)

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 7294
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
DBSAR wrote:
Sofirn’s factory and engineers could be the ones who build the BLF-LT lantern project into a production reality, with the firmware developed by Toykeeper!

Just a note to Sofirn: Although this isn’t related to the SP20, DBSAR is definitely the person to contact about the BLF Lantern project:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44923

It’s based on the BLF Q8, and if I understand correctly, Sofirn makes the parts for that? So it might be a good option to get Sofirn involved in the lantern project.

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 361

I liked the K70 project because it was going to be a beefed up/heavy duty light with a great ergonomic form factor:

The XHP 70 produced a lot of lumens out the front.

The larger head allows for a very usable mix of flood and throw.

The 26650 battery tube just seems to fit well in my hand and gives good run times.

So let’s take these strengths to the next level:

3 x XHP 70.2 or 50.2 (like a larger C8F)

3 × 26650 battery tube, thick wall, heavy knurling, extended run times

Oversized heat sink, wide spacing between fins for better airflow/heat dissipation.

I think this would be a winner!

Zulumoose
Zulumoose's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 04/13/2017 - 09:25
Posts: 667
Location: South Africa

Quote:
3 x XHP 70.2 or 50.2 (like a larger C8F)

3 × 26650 battery tube, thick wall, heavy knurling, extended run times

Oversized heat sink, wide spacing between fins for better airflow/heat dissipation

I’ll vote for that. Have a regulated high mode that should be indefinitely sustainable heat wise, with turbo only accessible through double-click.

Maybe offer it as a 2 cell tube, since not many chargers will accommodate more than 2× 26650 afaik. Or am I wrong about that?

Beam me up!

Chatika vas Paus
Chatika vas Paus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 09/03/2017 - 13:46
Posts: 121

I am also for of 3× 26650.
And one (side) switch only.
Triple XHP70 or MT-G2 + XHP35 HI. Something similar to MF03.

I am a beginner in everything.

 

Arnold

skinny_tie
Online
Last seen: 8 sec ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 186
Location: Australia
FlashTom wrote:
* factory-bridged springs or better double-springs

How about BlueSwordM springs?

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/61145

Itsme
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2017 - 00:47
Posts: 437
Location: Canada

thanks for the interest in the BLF users Sofirn

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 80
Location: Shenzhen, China

Caleb wrote:
I liked the K70 project because it was going to be a beefed up/heavy duty light with a great ergonomic form factor:

The XHP 70 produced a lot of lumens out the front.

The larger head allows for a very usable mix of flood and throw.

The 26650 battery tube just seems to fit well in my hand and gives good run times.

So let’s take these strengths to the next level:

3 x XHP 70.2 or 50.2 (like a larger C8F)

3 × 26650 battery tube, thick wall, heavy knurling, extended run times

Oversized heat sink, wide spacing between fins for better airflow/heat dissipation.

I think this would be a winner!

Wow, that would be big and long light.

Sofirn is owned by a factory, contact us for any lights you wanna make or contact to be a dealer.

AMAZON US Store

Aliexpress Worldwide Store

Thailand Shopee Store 

Malaysia Shopee Store

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 80
Location: Shenzhen, China

FlashTom wrote:
Let’s call it HAL-9000 and it comes with a huge red COB led behind an aspheric lens Party
…nah…just kiddin’…

I’m not sure if this would ever make sense in conjunction with the K70 design but I would prefer following specs:

  • standardized battery tube 1x / 2× 21700 battery (short tube, long tube) to make it fit for different new Sofirn lights
  • exchangeable head unit (e.g. large reflector with one XHP70.2, multi-emitter reflector with three XHP35 Hi like the Sofirn C8F)
  • boost driver to maintain constant output with decreasing voltage
  • different bezel rings (crenelated, flat, “attack” steel bolts)
  • factory-bridged springs or better double-springs

How about battery tube for 2* 26650 and coming 2 sleeves for 21700?
Same big head for two kinds reflector, one XHP70.2 or three XHP35 HI emitters

Sofirn is owned by a factory, contact us for any lights you wanna make or contact to be a dealer.

AMAZON US Store

Aliexpress Worldwide Store

Thailand Shopee Store 

Malaysia Shopee Store

eas
eas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/14/2014 - 18:53
Posts: 886
Location: PNW

Let’s start with a price point, and let’s pick one appropriate to the BUDGET Light Forum.

The Kronos K70 was last looking at a group buy price of $50. I think that’s a good number to target. If we look at the Q8 as a model, MSRP would be, what, $75 or so?

Beyond that, a few thoughts.

1. Perhaps branch out into something other than CREE emitters.
2. Something 80+ CRI that doesn’t have a puss-green cast (ie, not Cree).
3. A driver running a derivative of a nice BLF firmware.
4. A driver using an AVR family chip to make flashing new firmware easy.
5. Largish driver cavity to allow higher power driver retrofits without needing to cram a 40-60w switcher in 17mm x10mm

In terms of general form-factor, picking up where the Kronos K70 left off is a fine direction to take.
I’ll also suggest a different direction. Either a hot-rodded SP33 or a hot-rodded SP33-sibling based on the 21700 battery form factor. Monster single emitter, or a triple or quad with something more modest.

If this is the direction, I’d like to see a groupbuy price point of >$40, MSRP of, maybe, $50.

Whatever it is, don’t make this mistake!

Too many streetlights, not enough flashlights.

thijsco19
Online
Last seen: 2 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1187
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

If you want something different than the Kronos k70 type light:

What about a soda can style triple 21700 in series, single xhp70 with a high power buck driver?

JOYDAN
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2017 - 22:16
Posts: 33

Since it is the first 2 day 26650 the range of the power supply then it should be within the scope of the ideal, if using a CREE XHP70.2 have 4500 lm is a long range, but also I want to have at least 800 meters that is just good. In addition, I expect it to have a low brightness light at its tail for emergency use, which can be easily found in the dark

FlashTom
FlashTom's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 363
Location: Germany

Sofirn wrote:
FlashTom wrote:
Let’s call it HAL-9000 and it comes with a huge red COB led behind an aspheric lens Party
…nah…just kiddin’…

I’m not sure if this would ever make sense in conjunction with the K70 design but I would prefer following specs:

  • standardized battery tube 1x / 2× 21700 battery (short tube, long tube) to make it fit for different new Sofirn lights
  • exchangeable head unit (e.g. large reflector with one XHP70.2, multi-emitter reflector with three XHP35 Hi like the Sofirn C8F)
  • boost driver to maintain constant output with decreasing voltage
  • different bezel rings (crenelated, flat, “attack” steel bolts)
  • factory-bridged springs or better double-springs

How about battery tube for 2* 26650 and coming 2 sleeves for 21700?
Same big head for two kinds reflector, one XHP70.2 or three XHP35 HI emitters

Sounds great to me! But I don’t know how 26650 and 21700 will be manageable in the same battery tube even with adapters. 21700 cells will have a length of at least 70mm each. Those 26650 cells have a shorter length of approx. 65mm and may need magnets or soldered buttons on their pole to fit in a tube designed for 2× 21700. That means one needs to calculate a spring deflection of additional 10mm (5mm per cell) apart from the usual compression of the springs when inserting batteries into the tube.

It would be great if there were interchangeable flashlight heads for individual illumination needs:

  • one deep SMO reflector with XHP70.2 (comparable to the Convoy L6)
  • a triple SMO reflector with 3x XHP35 Hi (comparable to the C8F but bigger)
  • a flood optic array of carclo lenses like the Meteor M43 uses, e.g. 3× 10507 Carclo lenses each with 3 XP-L2 or LH351D emitter

So, in the end one could choose of three different flashlights with only one battery tube needed. Development costs might be a bit lower if all versions use the same battery tube. Constant output is something a lot of flash’oholics would appreciate, i.e. a very efficient boost driver or buck driver would be great even though costs may rise a bit. Moreover, ramping as e.g. in NarsilM will be a great advantage over fixed modes.

I'll give you my flashlight when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Dioda
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/05/2018 - 09:40
Posts: 121

Let me throw in a suggestion as well. How about a design similar to Thrunite TN40S? 4x XHP35 HI, large head with 4 reflectors, running of 4×18650 with great heatsinking and UI, backlit metal side switch only. High output thrower with a lot of usable spill.

FlashTom
FlashTom's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 363
Location: Germany

I wish Sofirn would develop a nice alternative allround thrower like the Acebeam X65 for a reasonable price:

  • 5x XHP35 Hi Quintuple Reflector
  • 8.000 – 12.000 lumens, depending on LED binning and current regulation
  • 8× 18650 or 6× 21700 (no built-in battery pack!)
  • Optional short tube (4× 18650 or 3× 21700)
  • Ramping OS like NarsilM, Andùril, etc.

I’m really curious if such a flashlight would be feasable for far less than $ 450,00 with the big advantage not being dependent on an expensive proprietary battery pack like with an Acebeam X65. Such a light would be far more interesting to me than any Acebeam X70 or Olight X9R.

So far, there is nothing that really compares to the Acebeam X65 when both flood and throw are combined in a best way, except for the Fenix RC40 maybe. So, there is a good chance to fill a gap in the market. If such a flashlight became available for $ 150 – $ 250 it certainly would find a lot of prospective buyers.

I'll give you my flashlight when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Agro
Online
Last seen: 40 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 2280
Location: Ślōnsk

thijsco19 wrote:
If you want something different than the Kronos k70 type light:

What about a soda can style triple 21700 in series, single xhp70 with a high power buck driver?


Triple 21700 is less space-efficient than quad 18650.
Mstevens113
Mstevens113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2016 - 07:07
Posts: 398
Location: Uk

Use xhp35 and make a real budget thrower. I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting an affordable long range light.

The recent blf GT and mf04 are far from budget.

Dioda
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/05/2018 - 09:40
Posts: 121

I would also welcome a pimped-out, budget friendlier alternative to Acebeam K65 or Mateminco MT70 type of lights. Large, 8-9cm almost smooth reflector, hard driven single XHP70.2 with great tint. Metal side switch only, 4×18650 tube, with alternative extension tube for 8×18650. Good heatsinking and quality boosting driver to let batteries drain almost flat. Great configurable UI.

Dioda
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/05/2018 - 09:40
Posts: 121

Mstevens113 wrote:
Use xhp35 and make a real budget thrower. I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting an affordable long range light.

The recent blf GT and mf04 are far from budget.

THIS. I believe that many of us like long range, HIGH OUTPUT lights, thats why i suggested XHP70.2. The GT and MF04 are not only too expensive, but for many they are too big for practical use.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 12479
Location: Amsterdam

I like the 9cm smooth reflector with XHP70.2 idea! Great output and throw (7500 lumen, 320 kcd) but better handling than the BLF GT, only slightly larger than the K70. With 2×26650 in series a simple lineair driver can be used (XHP70.2 in 6V configuration) and high enough current achieved (8-9A). Modders can slice the dome and improve the throw to perhaps close to 600 kcd.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Agro
Online
Last seen: 40 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 2280
Location: Ślōnsk

Why not give it a shave in factory?

Satan@103TFS
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 213
Agro wrote:
Why not give it a shave in factory?

Good point.

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 2812
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Wow settle down lads. We are going to scare them away lol. So many big ideas at once.

Satan@103TFS
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 213

[quote=How about battery tube for 2* 26650 and coming 2 sleeves for 21700?
Same big head for two kinds reflector, one XHP70.2 or three XHP35 HI emitters[/quote]

One XHP70.2 and one XHP35 HI to keep the price low should be fine ,to make the tube fit both 26650/21700 just make a spacer to add the length and also make flat top 26650 can connect in serie.

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 794
Location: NE ATL

Chatika vas Paus wrote:
I am also for of 3× 26650.
And one (side) switch only.
Triple XHP70 or MT-G2 + XHP35 HI. Something similar to MF03.

+1 my vote

Pages