Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

17371 posts / 0 new
Last post
teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama
shirnask wrote:
JOYDAN wrote:

All the control modes and functions are focused on a single switch, and I’m worried about how long it will last with a high lifetime of frequent clicks

You can get a replacement switch assembly from the Sofirn store on AliExpress for about $2.98

Yep… here is a link in fact. Go ahead & get you a spare or two while the getting is good. I sure did…. Wink
$3.01 is the latest price it seems.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32879434650.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDe...

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

By the time the switch would wear out there would be a whole new Next Level of Technology flashlights. Lol

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Flashy Mike
Flashy Mike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 16:38
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany

I’m pretty sure the switches are the usual cheap ones and I replaced a couple of them in different lights meanwhile (not Q8 up to now).

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 396
Location: Melbourne, Australia
shirnask wrote:
Well then the fasttech O rings are probably the best ansewer.

Just received my Q8 via Amazon AU. Oring problem here too. Reapply grease to no avail. Has fasttech orings helped?

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1071
Location: Louisiana
Sillen wrote:
shirnask wrote:
Well then the fasttech O rings are probably the best ansewer.

Just received my Q8 via Amazon AU. Oring problem here too. Reapply grease to no avail. Has fasttech orings helped?

They worked just fine to replace the damaged O ring on one of my Q8s – but the original worked well until I messed it up Facepalm

If the problem is not the grove that the O ring sits in they should fix your problem

Bob_McBob
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 08/14/2016 - 04:53
Posts: 545
Location: Canada

Did anyone else notice the AR glass is actually a bit thick? The non-AR glass is 2.85mm and allows the bezel to sit mostly flush, but the AR version is almost 3.1mm and leaves a noticeable gap behind the bezel. Output difference is about 4.5% for me.

mlodyulek
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 07:16
Posts: 29
Location: NorthEast

So after a year of usage my backlight to the button decided to crap out.
Recently it was mostly dead as it was just flickering and getting dim but if the flashlight was activated and turned off or the batteries pulled and closed then it came back.
Now its just dead, dead dead. No green light whatsoever no matter what I do.
Other than that it working without any issues, and ultimately doesn’t bother me much but if I can fix it I would.
I have taken apart the flashlight and saw the basic things like wires are attached nothing appears to be rattling, but haven’t completely torn it down

Any one have any idea what should I look for? Burned out diodes or resistors? and where?
Or can I purchase the button assembly and just replace the whole thing?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

mlodyulek wrote:
So after a year of usage my backlight to the button decided to crap out.
Recently it was mostly dead as it was just flickering and getting dim but if the flashlight was activated and turned off or the batteries pulled and closed then it came back.
Now its just dead, dead dead. No green light whatsoever no matter what I do.
Other than that it working without any issues, and ultimately doesn’t bother me much but if I can fix it I would.
I have taken apart the flashlight and saw the basic things like wires are attached nothing appears to be rattling, but haven’t completely torn it down

Any one have any idea what should I look for? Burned out diodes or resistors? and where?
Or can I purchase the button assembly and just replace the whole thing?


The fault seems to be inside the pcb, it’s unfixable. The only way to correct it is to replace it.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Wyre
Wyre's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2017 - 06:18
Posts: 30
Location: Deep in the Ozarks, USA

Still in need of a replacement. I have not had a working beacon since about 3 weeks from purchase. Responded to the PM with my full address, and never received a response. That was on 11/5/2017…

mlodyulek
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 07:16
Posts: 29
Location: NorthEast

JasonWW wrote:
mlodyulek wrote:
So after a year of usage my backlight to the button decided to crap out.
Recently it was mostly dead as it was just flickering and getting dim but if the flashlight was activated and turned off or the batteries pulled and closed then it came back.
Now its just dead, dead dead. No green light whatsoever no matter what I do.
Other than that it working without any issues, and ultimately doesn’t bother me much but if I can fix it I would.
I have taken apart the flashlight and saw the basic things like wires are attached nothing appears to be rattling, but haven’t completely torn it down

Any one have any idea what should I look for? Burned out diodes or resistors? and where?
Or can I purchase the button assembly and just replace the whole thing?


The fault seems to be inside the pcb, it’s unfixable. The only way to correct it is to replace it.

Interesting. I would have not expect PCB issues at that low of a voltage and current.
Well if there is a way of purchasing replacements then let me know where.
Otherwise I’ll live with it

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5459
Location: Canada

Here are the replacement parts.

Driver PCB:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLF-Q8-Driver-Chip-Q8-Circuit-Board/3286...

Button PCB:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLF-Q8-Accessories-lighted-switch-assemb...DTP-MCPCB-Reflector-for-Q8/32879434650.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.11.2f6750fezazRs6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10344_10130_10068_10547_10342_10343_10340_10548_10341_10696_10084_10083_10618_10139_10307_10059_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_6,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=474edbba-3c2d-438c-8e2f-27eab16f5339-1&algo_pvid=474edbba-3c2d-438c-8e2f-27eab16f5339&priceBeautifyAB=0

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

mlodyulek wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
mlodyulek wrote:
So after a year of usage my backlight to the button decided to crap out.
Recently it was mostly dead as it was just flickering and getting dim but if the flashlight was activated and turned off or the batteries pulled and closed then it came back.
Now its just dead, dead dead. No green light whatsoever no matter what I do.
Other than that it working without any issues, and ultimately doesn’t bother me much but if I can fix it I would.
I have taken apart the flashlight and saw the basic things like wires are attached nothing appears to be rattling, but haven’t completely torn it down

Any one have any idea what should I look for? Burned out diodes or resistors? and where?
Or can I purchase the button assembly and just replace the whole thing?


The fault seems to be inside the pcb, it’s unfixable. The only way to correct it is to replace it.

Interesting. I would have not expect PCB issues at that low of a voltage and current.
Well if there is a way of purchasing replacements then let me know where.
Otherwise I’ll live with it


Use the link in the above post, choose “color” and it shows the 3 seperate parts. The switch is $3.04.

There was some type of a defect in the pcb of the original switch. It had nothing to do high voltage or current.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

Wyre wrote:
Still in need of a replacement. I have not had a working beacon since about 3 weeks from purchase. Responded to the PM with my full address, and never received a response. That was on 11/5/2017…

I don’t know any of your details. Who did you PM? The Miller? He may have left by then. If you need a replacement switch, the only place to get it is the link above.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

mlodyulek wrote:

(snip)
Or can I purchase the button assembly and just replace the whole thing?
Here is a link to a new switch.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32879434650.html?spm=a2g0n.shopcart-amp.it...
.


.
Edit: I’m a slow typer… look like this is old info. Big Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

mlodyulek
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 07:16
Posts: 29
Location: NorthEast

Great thanks guys! I’ll order one.

For the PCB. In my experience if they pass their initial QC they are good unless exposed to elements or chemicals.
I’ve seen some prepreg core cracking when doing high temp burn in but that was relatively freak accident and on high power board that were under a lot of stress

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2192
Location: Sweden

All those that have the q8 for a long time now, does it still work like a charm, the button is not weared out etc ??

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

XXX-Man
XXX-Man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2016 - 04:50
Posts: 808
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

My Q8 is like new, no problems at all and is used almost daily.

Only thing I had to fix is led on switch, but it wasn’t working good when I got it. If you followed tread you may know about that problem on first units.
Replaced switch pcb and no problem all this time.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

My reviews:

Sofirn SF36 /// Thorfire VG10S /// Sofirn C8F /// Zanflare F1

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2192
Location: Sweden

okay good, not that i worry really it seems like a robust well built light compared to convoy l6, astrolux lights that i have etc.I feel strange it took me so long get it but never too late as u say.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

mortuus wrote:
I feel strange it took me so long get it but never too late as u say.

I joined that group buy early and still haven’t bought one, so no need to feel strange. I’m holding out for a CW version. Sofirn might be releasing an updated version of the Q8. We’ll have to wait and see.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Mine are still going strong at this point…. no problems.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 1449
Location: United States , Pa.

The Q8 is one of those must have lights that everyone should own.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16126
Location: Amsterdam

The Q8 is actually the biggest longterm test of overdriving leds BLF-style since we started doing that in 2013. I have always wondered if 3A leds driven at 5A would eventually fry the leds, that never could be tested, and so far so good Smile

Bonham
Bonham's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 01/11/2012 - 16:00
Posts: 322
Location: Bulgaria

Very big battery drain for me.
Not switched to the working position when not used.

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 930
Location: Rochester, NY
Bonham wrote:
Very big battery drain for me. Not switched to the working position when not used.

That’s strange. Wasn’t the switch supposed to drain next to nothing and not affect the charge for a looooong time?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

Bonham wrote:
Very big battery drain for me.
Not switched to the working position when not used.

The battery drain (parasitic drain) on the Q8 should be super tiny. It should take many years to drain the batteries. You can also turn off the switch lights to reduce the drain even more. Of course, if you are not going to use the light for a long time it’s best to turn the battery tube to cut all power.

Have you measured the drain on your light? What was it?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas
PBWilson wrote:
Bonham wrote:
Very big battery drain for me. Not switched to the working position when not used.

That’s strange. Wasn’t the switch supposed to drain next to nothing and not affect the charge for a looooong time?


Yes, here are the specifics:

Parasitic Drain

Parasitic drain is the draw of amps (power) when the flashlight is off and the processor goes into a deep sleep mode, cutting as much power consuming features as it can, but still able to wake up when the button is pressed. Here’s the measured numbers on full or near full cells, after being off for more than 6 seconds:

  • with switch LED on: 135 µA
  • with switch LED off: 22 µA

In switch Lock-Out mode, the switch LED is off. There’s also a quick trick method to turn off the switch LED when the light is OFF:

  • from OFF, press&hold until moon mode comes on (or hold longer)
  • then quickly release the switch, and quickly click to turn the light OFF
  • the switch LED should be off now even with the main LED off

To put it in perspective:

  • 22 µA takes 5 years to drain 1,000 mAh, so with 4 3,000 mAh cells, it could last over 60 years, in theory of course
  • 135 µA with the switch LED on takes 10 months to drain 1,000 mAh, with 4 3,000 mAh cells, it could last over 10 years

When the light is first turned off, it continues running the processor for 6 seconds, then drops into it’s low drain, deep sleep state. The amount of amps is somewhat dependent on the cells, so partially depleted cells, and cells with higher resistance will have a lower parasitic drain.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Bonham
Bonham's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 01/11/2012 - 16:00
Posts: 322
Location: Bulgaria

I’m far from last instance. Just my experience…

Not measured the drain.
Not used often and find critical voltage when checked.
One 30Q did not recover anymore.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16126
Location: Amsterdam

Bonham wrote:
I’m far from last instance. Just my experience…

Not measured the drain.
Not used often and find critical voltage when checked.
One 30Q did not recover anymore.


That is not how it should be, there may be a current leak other than through the driver electronics. I’m curious if others have the same observation. If this unexpected high drain is a general feature of the Q8 it is wise to physically lock out the light when not in use, which would be a pity because Tom put in lot of effort to make it so low.
shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1071
Location: Louisiana

I have a total of 6 Q8’s – most for emergency lights – we loose power often – all sit for months at a time without any unusual drain. They all have been in use since shortly after the group buy.

I would guess this is an isolated problem.

Bonham
Bonham's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 01/11/2012 - 16:00
Posts: 322
Location: Bulgaria

OK. I put new battery 30Q (first use) from BG after full load and measured about 3050-3100 mAh.
After about a week (now) its about 3.96 mAh V.

I’m happy with my Q8. I bought 3 of them.

Pages