Emisar D4S review

2418 posts / 0 new
Last post
twisted raven
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 493
Location: texas
ToyKeeper wrote:
Agro wrote:
Vinh claims 4800 lm and 110 kcd.

FWIW, that probably translates to about 82 kcd.

Vinh’s lux meter seems to use a different scale than most people use. The correction factor seems to be about 0.75 or so, if you want to compare the numbers against other people’s. For example, the D1S (stock with no mods) is listed as 130 kcd on Intl-Outdoor or 170 kcd in Vinh’s shop. 0.76 correction factor. Every other light I’ve checked (or measured) also follows a similar pattern with a factor pretty close to that.

Vinh claims 42kcd for xpl hi 5000k on the D4s, whereas intl outdoor claims 45kcd. That’s not .76

cclight
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 15:53
Posts: 93
Location: Brazil

Vinh says 42kcd for the XP-L HI V2 3A, which is not as bright as the V3 1A. 45kcd is what the cool white gives.

However I the differece between leds is not 25%, so this doesn’t account for 0.76.

Measuring photometric intensity is easier than total lumens but a reliable detector is still necessary and that’s not easy to find. See the recent efforts by djozz.

So, we need someone who has calibrated the luxmeter with Maukka’s calibrated lights to check this issue.

idleprocess
idleprocess's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2018 - 00:22
Posts: 41
Location: dfw.tx.us

With the vaporizer crowd and power tool manufacturers flocking to the 21700 format, I do find myself wishing that a 21700 battery tube were available since that formfactor may yet see some improvements on its already-impressive power/density characteristics.

Flying Luminosity wrote:
I bought this light several months ago, and it seemed that I had pretty much found the Holy Grail of flashlights (at least for my main purpose, daily dog walks).

Unfortunately it started flickering pretty badly about a week or two ago – mainly just after turning it on, or after changing the brightness level. There is also considerable stuttering when I try ramping. Sometimes it won’t ramp at all, or it will just jump from one level to the other instead of ramping smoothly, and it will also flicker on those occasions. It seems to be getting worse, and I am worried that it will soon become unusable.

Is there any remedy for this? Apologies if this has been asked before, as I have not got the time to read through all the comments on this post.

I had a similar issue and thought it was a driver or firmware or mechanical issue. Turned out to be a simple mechanical issued alright – the tube:head connection wasn’t as snug as it could be. Tightened it up and the issue disappeared.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10172
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
twisted raven wrote:
Vinh claims 42kcd for xpl hi 5000k on the D4s, whereas intl outdoor claims 45kcd. That’s not .76

Interesting. Looking again now, he also no longer lists 170 kcd for the stock D1S. I wonder if he updated his meter, or otherwise changed measurements to improve accuracy. That would be welcome news. Smile

OTOH, the D4vn still lists 40 kcd, but on mine I measured 28.6 kcd.

Here it is (left) next to a D4-219C 80 CRI model (right), underexposed to show the size of the hotspots better:

It’s certainly the throwiest D4 I’ve seen, but I measured mine as only 41% throwier than an XP-L HI model, not 98% throwier as claimed.

twisted raven
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 493
Location: texas

I think his lux readings are weird. Some seem to measure high, some low. For instance, he measured the stock GT at under 1m cd, while others measured it around 1.1-1.2m cd.

On the other hand, he measures the ROT66 with LH351Ds at over 20kcd, while my Zebralight SC600 MK3 HI, measured at 18kcd, definitely has a more intense hotspot in comparison.

All that aside, his measurements of the White Flat 2mm are probably reasonably accurate, and such a high performing emitter would be pretty great to have stock in the D4S.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5581
Location: Ślōnsk
ToyKeeper wrote:
Agro wrote:
Vinh claims 4800 lm and 110 kcd.

FWIW, that probably translates to about 82 kcd.

Vinh’s lux meter seems to use a different scale than most people use. The correction factor seems to be about 0.75 or so, if you want to compare the numbers against other people’s. For example, the D1S (stock with no mods) is listed as 130 kcd on Intl-Outdoor or 170 kcd in Vinh’s shop. 0.76 correction factor. Every other light I’ve checked (or measured) also follows a similar pattern with a factor pretty close to that.


Recently I collected all measurements that I could find for a number of lights:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/63397
In some cases there are Vinh’s numbers.
In 1 case the number is indeed an outlier, in others its not.
GT Mini: Vn 170 kcd, others average 128.5 kcd
Cat V6: Vn 175 kcd, others average 178 kcd
T27: Vn 335 kcd, 1 other 340 kcd
Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 39 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1846
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Do you think it would be sensible to mix SST-20 3000K 95CRI and SST-20 4000K 95CRI on the D4S to gain a beam profile with 3.500K color temperature? Would this even work as the 3000K version is probably subject to become warmer and less efficient in conjunction with the 4000K SST-20 at full brightness level? (...thinkin' about Vf, thermal specs, maximum current, etc.).

nokoff
nokoff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2013 - 20:26
Posts: 344
Location: East Coast USA

Whew to my eyes that is one green beam; doesn’t matter if it throws a mile, no ty.

On a good note I ordered a 3000k SST20. Super excited Big Smile about that. I.already have 2 D4S, a Nichia and XPL-HI 5000k. I hope the SST20 is as nice as djozz found with his testing! Should be amazing in this quad! Thanks again Hank!

Nokoff..still Made in China 山寨主義

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5496
Location: Canada

@Lux Perpetual, since the VF usually changes significantly when going with different emitters or higher CRI emitters, going with 2× 3000K and 2× 4000K SST-20s will be about perfect in terms of tint mixing compatibility.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Pavlo
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2015 - 10:37
Posts: 632
Location: Canada

@Lux Perpetual,
Keep in mind that two one other thing will happen when mixing tints:
+Tint will fall lower on the BBL line, so less green, more purple

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2052
Location: Finland
Pavlo wrote:
-CRI will drop (by how much, not entirely sure, but I have seen some tests by Maukka in the past and it was more than desired).

In general mixing just tends to average out the CRI. So no fear in getting worse CRI if both sources are high CRI to begin with.

Pavlo
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2015 - 10:37
Posts: 632
Location: Canada
maukka wrote:
Pavlo wrote:
-CRI will drop (by how much, not entirely sure, but I have seen some tests by Maukka in the past and it was more than desired).

In general mixing just tends to average out the CRI. So no fear in getting worse CRI if both sources are high CRI to begin with.

Thanks for correcting me Maukka, must have misread a previous post.

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2052
Location: Finland

Of course there are exceptions. Such as combining a red, green and blue will naturally result in a much higher CRI than any of them separately. But mixing is usually done with emitters having similar characteristics in the SPD (i.e. they have their peaks and valleys at the same wavelengths, just in different amounts).

funkychateau
funkychateau's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/01/2018 - 02:05
Posts: 105
Location: Dallas, Texas

I was about ready to order my D4S with 5000K XP-L Hi, and now this appears.

Is it correct that the SST 20 provides about the same performance, without the $15 upcharge?

Assuming I’m fine with the slight increase in throw, are there any downsides? Heat? Beam pattern?

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10172
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Lux-Perpetua wrote:
Do you think it would be sensible to mix SST-20 3000K 95CRI and SST-20 4000K 95CRI on the D4S to gain a beam profile with 3.500K color temperature?

Yes, I think that should work.

I also suggested a while back that Hank should consider offering LH351D sometimes, and should offer a 2×4000K plus 2×5000K option to get a tint-mixed 4500K. This should provide a CCT closer to what is most popular, and should also help make the tint a little less green.

lars
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 03/21/2017 - 20:22
Posts: 25
Location: Hong Kong

I really hope Emisar will release a 21700 version of D4s.

The only reason I’m not buying current D4s is it’s too big for pockets. I just received my Fireflies 21700 and it’s perfectly pocketable, even fine as headlamp.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1579
Location: Manila, Philippines
ToyKeeper wrote:
Lux-Perpetua wrote:
Do you think it would be sensible to mix SST-20 3000K 95CRI and SST-20 4000K 95CRI on the D4S to gain a beam profile with 3.500K color temperature?

Yes, I think that should work.

I also suggested a while back that Hank should consider offering LH351D sometimes, and should offer a 2×4000K plus 2×5000K option to get a tint-mixed 4500K. This should provide a CCT closer to what is most popular, and should also help make the tint a little less green.

Maybe a poll result will help convince Hank as to what the flashlight community likes?

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 951
Location: Rochester, NY

I wonder if 21700s are the future judging from the variety that have surfaced. 30T for maximum output. 40T for a nice balance of power to capacity. 50E for capacity and more. It’s slimmer and nearly the same capacity as a 26650 too. We seem to be benefiting form vaping and their need for high drain cells.

nick779
nick779's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 15:46
Posts: 303
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

In terms of flashlight size, Imo a 26650 light just feels good in the hand. Not too narrow, but not difficult to get your hand around. Its a good general purpose, long runtime size.

In terms of pocket carry though, the biggest ill carry is an S2+

Id rather have to change batteries than deal with constant unnecessary bulk, but thats just me.

Now if there was just a 21700 tube/tailcap option, id pick that up in a heartbeat.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2447
Location: Sweden

lars wrote:
I really hope Emisar will release a 21700 version of D4s.

The only reason I’m not buying current D4s is it’s too big for pockets. I just received my Fireflies 21700 and it’s perfectly pocketable, even fine as headlamp.

well why not just buy it the regular d4 then ? only thing 21700 would provide is more runtimes perhaps vs 18650.. but those cells arent that popular in lights yet..

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Jensen
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 11/13/2018 - 10:49
Posts: 22

I’m interested to see what the 3000k SST-20 is like in this light. I like warm tints, so I ordered one with the 4000k XP-L HI because that was the warmest tint you could get in it at the time. I wonder how these would work in it as well: Link I would order another if these were offered in it. Warm tint, high CRI, and also should be ~4000 lumens like the other XP-L HI options.

idleprocess
idleprocess's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2018 - 00:22
Posts: 41
Location: dfw.tx.us

mortuus wrote:
lars wrote:
I really hope Emisar will release a 21700 version of D4s.

The only reason I’m not buying current D4s is it’s too big for pockets. I just received my Fireflies 21700 and it’s perfectly pocketable, even fine as headlamp.

well why not just buy it the regular d4 then ? only thing 21700 would provide is more runtimes perhaps vs 18650.. but those cells arent that popular in lights yet..


The appreciable bulk of the D4S head vs the D4 makes for longer runtime at higher output levels.
tundraotto
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/12/2018 - 13:38
Posts: 119
Location: United States

I just received the Emisar D4S XPL HD v6 version and the shape of the beam is fantastic….perfectly even transition from the center of the beam to the edges. Just like I love. I have another with the XPL HI on the way so can compare, but I can already say beating the HD beam profile will be next to impossible to my tastes.

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 951
Location: Rochester, NY

I was hoping someone with the HD would comment.

Please post a pic side by side with the HI. Thanks.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10172
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

This is kind of a tangent, but one small note…

The “S” in D4S is a capital letter. Same with the D1S.

NameQuantityDescription
D1singleone Emisar D1 light
D1spluralmultiple Emisar D1 lights
D1Ssingleone Emisar D1S light
D1Sespluralmultiple Emisar D1S lights
D4singleone Emisar D4 light
D4spluralmultiple Emisar D4 lights
D4Ssingleone Emisar D4S light
D4Sespluralmultiple Emisar D4S lights

It can get a little confusing though, guessing whether a small “s” means plural or a different model, so for clarity it’s probably best to avoid the small “s” entirely and use other words around it to remove ambiguity.

… and if I ever have another client who wants to end their product name with a “S” suffix, I’ll try to steer them toward a less confusing naming scheme. Smile

Hank Wang
Online
Last seen: 4 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 379
Location: China

Add the aux LED photo for reference

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1579
Location: Manila, Philippines
Hank Wang wrote:
Add the aux LED photo for reference !https://intl-outdoor.com/images/IMG_2191_thumb_12.jpg!

Nice!

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 39 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1846
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Wow, my custom order D4S with SST-20 3.000K 95CRI is already shipped even though it was ordered only 2-3 days before. Thank you Hank! Beer

I will be happy to show some comparison with the beam profiles of my D4S XP-L HI V2 3A (5.000K) and D4S XP-G2 S4 3D (4.885K) later on. I’m still tempted buying another D4S with SST20 6.500K for maximum throw (58.000cd). Maybe I get to buy some of the other Ledil Angie optics with different angles.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1579
Location: Manila, Philippines

Lux-Perpetua wrote:
Wow, my custom order D4S with SST-20 3.000K 95CRI is already shipped even though it was ordered only 2-3 days before. Thank you Hank! Beer

I will be happy to show some comparison with the beam profiles of my D4S XP-L HI V2 3A (5.000K) and D4S XP-G2 S4 3D (4.885K) later on. I’m still tempted buying another D4S with SST20 6.500K for maximum throw (58.000cd). Maybe I get to buy some of the other Ledil Angie optics with different angles.

Intl-Outdoor accepts customized LED choices for the D4S? Sounds great.

Remember to post beamshots / beam pattern / tint comparison. =)

Touchofred
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/11/2012 - 17:41
Posts: 243
Location: Sweden
I chose from Fireflies e07 or this. But since there have been some small complications with fireflies.. I chose D4S. So I Ordered this D4S with the new SST20 4000k 95cri with Amber aux leds. Hank is awesome, he never fails to deliver a good flashlight. I Own two D4 and a MK43. Shipped same day I ordered, amazing.

Very excited to to get this light. If this is good, I think I’ll ordered more.
Thanks Hank !!!

Pages