Gocomma assisted & manual flipper knives

283 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA
Gocomma assisted & manual flipper knives

UPDATE:  These are mostly manual flipper knives.  :FACEPALM:

(The small one is assisted.)

 

You might think all I post about are Kershaw assisted-openers.

I'll show you!

BLF member isti242 pointed out an assisted-opener made by Gocomma.

I did a little research, and found that they make at least four different AO's.

They're all at GearBest.

 

 

There's this one with a 6.3cm blade and a plastic handle, which comes in orange or black:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009348498022.html

 

 

There's this one with a 9.6cm 420 blade and a plastic handle:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009153744948.html

 

 

There's this one with a 7.7cm D2 blade and a G10 handle:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009152095568.html

 

 

And finally this one with a 8.9cm D2 blade and a G10 handle:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009780560071.html

 

 

There are some reviews on GearBest, and some videos that aren't in English on YouTube.

The last knife is also available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gocomma-Outdoor-Folding-Knife-Bearing-Quick-Opening-D2-Steel-Blade-G10-Handle/292888613953

(That's the one that appeals to me the most.)

 

I usually get knives with metal handles, but I want to try something different.

I might make an offer on the last one, or maybe I'll wait for either of the last two to go on sale...

I haven't decided yet.

But I am interested in these knives, especially the last two.  :BEER:

Edited by: raccoon city on 01/26/2019 - 10:19
toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Foley, MO

Thanks RC. Those last two are interesting. Might grab one up and see how they are. Price isn’t too bad to find out.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I've never had a D2 blade, as the assisted-openers that have them are generally out of my price range.

But I can afford these.  :THUMBS-UP:

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

By the way, I think for Black Friday the first knife I listed was on sale for $2.  $)

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Foley, MO

Seems the quality of D2 in chinese knives is all over the map really. Some great D2 and some not so great D2. It’s a crap shoot on which one you are getting really. I haven’t gotten any crappy D2 yet. I have read the reviews and bought the ones that had better reviews. I have seen some really great looking knives that I wanted to get but the reviews were horrible on the quality of the steel so I would pass on those. I know I can’t really trust all reviews all the time but trying to return a knife that is junk is just too much hassle and money.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

toddcshoe wrote:

I have read the reviews and bought the ones that had better reviews.

Ooh!

Which one/s did you order?

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382

they are not assisted. where did you read that? and they are most likely not D2(but some 8cr steel). they are produced under many different names like tigend and johnnyjamie.

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

That’s one tiny firesteel Facepalm LOL

Flashlights, blades & beer

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

polarweis wrote:

they are not assisted. where did you read that?

I learned that from watching YouTube videos.

EDIT:  Also, it's stated here for the small one:

http://steelreviews.blogspot.com/2018/12/deal-alert-knife-folder-outdoor-gear.html

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382

Oke that first one is asisted as i can see on the vids. the last two i have seen in person with a other brand name on them and they were not assisted. But who knows, would be shitty if you order them and they turn out not to be assisted.

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Some other time I'll have to double check YouTube...

(I can only stream video during a certain time of day.)

If they are not assisted, I apologize for misinforming BLF.  :FACEPALM:

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 633
Location: SAK-land

It would be a good buy for folks like me who dislike A/O.
Hey beerguest, where’s the spring inside?

But I think with the “quick opening” they mean the flipper tab compared opening a traditional knife with a nail nick.

The people who write descriptions on cheap stuff usually have no clue about the product and often it’s just machine translated from Chinese anyways.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I'm downloading YouTube videos of the first, third, and last knife.

It's going to take a while as my internet connection is horrible.

I'll watch the videos and then report my findings.

Four of the videos have no spoken language, and the other two are perhaps in Russian?

(Definitely not English.)

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382

on youtube i can only find the top one and the 7.7cm blade one. the 7.7cm one is not asisted on the video.

But still if assisted, I highly doubt its d2. if only because of the price. 8cr steels are also fine but then you’re back at kershaw grounds right Wink

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Foley, MO
raccoon city wrote:

toddcshoe wrote:

I have read the reviews and bought the ones that had better reviews.


Ooh!


Which one/s did you order?

Before I found some of the Chinese knife websites that point you towards decently made knives I bought all kinds of cheap junk. Years ago some cable company I had at the time had some knife show on late at night. I forget the name of it. You could buy like 100 knives for $50 or something like that. Never fell for that deal but I did get a few Colts that looked nice but were junk. Got a few Proelia’s which I thought were decent but were too big and heavy for my liking. They claimed D2 steel. I am not an expert on steel but the Proelia steel seemed decent, kept an edge real nice once you got a good one on it. Seemed very hard and took some time and patience to get it good and sharp. I have a Masalong flipper that claims D2 but I am suspicious of it. Seems to take an edge super fast and seems like a high carbon type steel. I really need to try out other budget knives. My circle right now only has a few Ganzo’s, Kershaw’s, Sanrenmu’s, Buck, Case, and Eafengrow. I just recently got a Honey Badger. I really like those. Found some really nice looking knives on Ali that I want to check out too. I really like some of the knives THIS store has on Ali. I also want to check out some Fura knives. Don’t have any of those yet. Think I will grab one of the Gocomma knives though. I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382
toddcshoe wrote:
raccoon city wrote:

toddcshoe wrote:

I have read the reviews and bought the ones that had better reviews.


Ooh!


Which one/s did you order?

Before I found some of the Chinese knife websites that point you towards decently made knives I bought all kinds of cheap junk. Years ago some cable company I had at the time had some knife show on late at night. I forget the name of it. You could buy like 100 knives for $50 or something like that. Never fell for that deal but I did get a few Colts that looked nice but were junk. Got a few Proelia’s which I thought were decent but were too big and heavy for my liking. They claimed D2 steel. I am not an expert on steel but the Proelia steel seemed decent, kept an edge real nice once you got a good one on it. Seemed very hard and took some time and patience to get it good and sharp. I have a Masalong flipper that claims D2 but I am suspicious of it. Seems to take an edge super fast and seems like a high carbon type steel. I really need to try out other budget knives. My circle right now only has a few Ganzo’s, Kershaw’s, Sanrenmu’s, Buck, Case, and Eafengrow. I just recently got a Honey Badger. I really like those. Found some really nice looking knives on Ali that I want to check out too. I really like some of the knives THIS store has on Ali. I also want to check out some Fura knives. Don’t have any of those yet. Think I will grab one of the Gocomma knives though. I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

I would stay away from fura. They dont use the steels they claim.
The Ch knives and twosun knives are really nice. Twosun is mostly on ebay with auctions so you can get yourself a killer deal. those two brands i would recommend if you want high quality chinese knives.

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Foley, MO
polarweis wrote:
I would stay away from fura. They dont use the steels they claim. The Ch knives and twosun knives are really nice. Twosun is mostly on ebay with auctions so you can get yourself a killer deal. those two brands i would recommend if you want high quality chinese knives.

Thank you. I will check those out. I saw a few Twosun and CH knives I like. Too many choices and not enough money to get them all at the same time. I need a second job. A knife and flashlight job. I just have to quit ordering Stirling Engine’s.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382
toddcshoe wrote:
polarweis wrote:
I would stay away from fura. They dont use the steels they claim. The Ch knives and twosun knives are really nice. Twosun is mostly on ebay with auctions so you can get yourself a killer deal. those two brands i would recommend if you want high quality chinese knives.

Thank you. I will check those out. I saw a few Twosun and CH knives I like. Too many choices and not enough money to get them all at the same time. I need a second job. A knife and flashlight job. I just have to quit ordering Stirling Engine’s.

We NEED a stirling engine tread lolz

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I watched the videos.

These are all manual flippers.  :FACEPALM:

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382

Only the first one is asisted. at least on the video it looked like the person closing it had to go against the force of the spring.

Why are you such a fan of spring assist?

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

polarweis wrote:

Only the first one is asisted. at least on the video it looked like the person closing it had to go against the force of the spring.

In all the videos I saw, you could see the insides of the knife and there is no room for a spring assist.

polarweis wrote:

Why are you such a fan of spring assist?

I have owned assisted-openers and manual openers and I only like AO's.

(If large automatics were legal where I live, I might like them, too.)

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9703
Location: nyc
raccooncity wrote:

Hmm, that should be interesting…

Shocked

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

polarweis
polarweis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2017 - 17:05
Posts: 382

the orange black knife is 100% AO.
no way a blade with such a small flipper in a strange orientation can open this good. But it still looks kinda toy like to me.

automatic knives are cool but not legal here in any size.

This one looks nice. gotta love a spydie Smile

"It wouldn’t be so bright if there wasn’t a shadow every once in a while." - Jason Mraz

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Foley, MO

Ordered the last flipper in the OP off Ebay. I like manual flippers for the most part. I like being able to easily close the knife with one hand when I am done with it. That can be quite hard to do with some assisted knives. I have a few assisted knives and like them just fine.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1439
Location: EU

I uploaded a short video about the assisted opening action of my Go Comma flipper here .
For $3.99 you can’t go wrong. Smile

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Well, I am pleasantly surprised…. more like totally shocked, in a good way!!

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be writing what I am about to write when I ordered the two knives I have listed below. I figured they would be semi-junk. I was wrong completely.

The Fit n’ Finish of both knives are about as close to perfect as any knife I have seen… and I have seen more than a few.

  • The grinds are precise & even.
  • The slabs fit tight to the liners with no gaps.
  • The G-10 slabs are precisely shaped & fitted.
  • Both knives were hair popping sharp out of the box.
  • Blades are perfectly centered when closed.
  • Opening is smooth & effortless. The bottom knife has a ball bearing pivot & it is smoother than smooth.
  • Lockup is tight & precise on both knives.

These just arrived a short time ago & I have not had a chance to test edge retention yet. I’ll do that soon when I have time.

I am also gonna test them to see if the D2 is really D2.

But from what I see at this point these are great knives!! I got them for cheap $$ on some kinda sale and now wish I had bought more to sell or give to friends.

There is absolutely nothing cheap looking about these knives.

As I said before… I am pleasantly shocked!!! . Shocked .. Big Smile .. Wink

Oh yeah, I usually have little use for ‘flipper style’ knives. But the flippers on these are so small & subtle along with the absolute smoothness & ease of opening… these are gonna be a pleasure to use. Thumbs Up
.
.

7.7cm D2 blade and a G10 handle:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009152095568.html
.

8.9cm D2 blade and a G10 handle:

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009780560071.html

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13276
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

isti242 wrote:

I uploaded a short video about the assisted opening action of my Go Comma flipper here .
For $3.99 you can’t go wrong. Smile

It looks like the small one really is assisted.

That is quite shocking.  :O

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

raccoon city wrote:

isti242 wrote:

I uploaded a short video about the assisted opening action of my Go Comma flipper here .
For $3.99 you can’t go wrong. Smile


It looks like the small one really is assisted.


That is quite shocking.  alt=" />

The last two pictured in the OP are just as smooth as the one in your video isti242. . Thumbs Up

Great video too by the way!!

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1439
Location: EU

teacher wrote:
The last two pictured in the OP are just as smooth as the one in your video isti242. . Thumbs Up

Great video too by the way!!

One of those flippers got discontinued. Fortunately the kwaiken style one is still available.

That video was just a first try but thanks anyway! Smile

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 45 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 281
Location: behind you

polarweis wrote:
the orange black knife is 100% AO.
no way a blade with such a small flipper in a strange orientation can open this good. But it still looks kinda toy like to me.

automatic knives are cool but not legal here in any size.

This one looks nice. gotta love a spydie Smile

How about wave actions?

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

isti242 wrote:
teacher wrote:
The last two pictured in the OP are just as smooth as the one in your video isti242. . Thumbs Up

Great video too by the way!!

One of those flippers got discontinued. Fortunately the kwaiken style one is still available.

That video was just a first try but thanks anyway! Smile

Well darn, it sux that knife was discontinued. It is a darn good knife!! I have been cutting old cardboard boxes with mine, since I got it the other day; to test the edge holding ability. So far, try as I might to dull it; it is still hair shaving sharp.

I immediately ordered a couple more, I hope they get shipped & not cancelled. When I ordered there were ‘supposedly’ well over a hundred left.

As far as your video goes, I think it was good (first one or not) ; you showed exactly what you set out to show…. how smooth the knife opens. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Pages