Index of reviewed batteries? Comments?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Index of reviewed batteries? Comments?

Sorry, no actual index yet, but soon.

As can be seen on the picture I try to include all tested LiIon batteries in the index.
It is possible to filter on the conditions in the white boxes (More than one can be selected at a time and in each box). There is no sort function, if anybody knows how to get sorting with “TableFilter”, please say.
I have listed all current in Ah, even though it is more common to use mAh, any comments about this? (It is fairly easy to generate with mAh instead).

Am I missing something or do I have too many columns, on my computer the table needs about 1400 pixels in width (The above image is scaled down Full size image ).

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

USA
USA's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 08:44
Posts: 296

This is great, thanks.
The only thing I might wish to add (if possible), would be actual length in MM. ONLY if possible, there is no need to work something like that into it if you don’t have the data.

HUGE thanks for your work! you rock.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
USA wrote:
This is great, thanks. The only thing I might wish to add (if possible), would be actual length in MM. ONLY if possible, there is no need to work something like that into it if you don’t have the data.

I have the data and with a switch I can add something I call x length, that is the difference from the rated length. This is more useful for filtering, but I have not made filtering for it.

This means I have 3 possibilities:
1) Without length
2) With x-length, i.e. difference from rated length, very easy to filter
3) Real battery length.

What is prefered?

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

tundraotto
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/12/2018 - 13:38
Posts: 119
Location: United States

mAh if possible would make most sense as that is how everything is rated to begin with….Thanks for all you do!

USA
USA's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 08:44
Posts: 296

wow, you really have all the data! That is amazing.

One use case I see is that people will most likely look up your battery reviews to purchase a new set for flashlights, bike lights, shop lights or other products. They probably want to know whether the batteries will fit into a specific light, charger or other product.
There might be three scenarios:
- one type of user DOES know which length will fit because they know how to measure. That customer would want the actual length and can then buy the battery via your link.
- the other type of user has a product and has no way of measuring the length or size. However, they do know what type they already have and use. So a size comparison to another, existing cell would be a great option (same/less/more).
- another user has no idea what they need, so they would want to know what to buy in batteries based on a review they found online.

Let’s see what others have to say as well – again, thanks for all of your work.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

I have the data from the info box in my reviews and all the logfiles. The table uses the logfiles for all the capacity values, because the info box did not include the high currents or capacity at a specific voltage.

Length is based on button top and protection, i.e. if you know you want a protected button top you already have defined the length (Mostly).
That is also the reason I did not include length, because I already have button top and protection columns.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

USA
USA's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 08:44
Posts: 296

If BT and protection give you the length then you can omit my idea of adding anything else. I was assuming that all BTs, protective circuits and/or other features are all different!

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
USA wrote:
If BT and protection give you the length then you can omit my idea of adding anything else. I was assuming that all BTs, protective circuits and/or other features are all different!

They are different, but not that much.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4122
Location: Portugal

Thanks for your work HKJ Wink
Will this replace or be complementary to your graphics?
Thanks!

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
MascaratumB wrote:
Thanks for your work HKJ Wink Will this replace or be complementary to your graphics?

It will be complementary, I plan on have links to the comparators at the top of the page and each battery name links directly to the reviews.

The idea is to use table for a initial selection of batteries, then go to the comparators and reviews for the final selection.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

mAh looks this way:

I believe it looks more messy than Ah, the point makes it easier for the eye to see the first digit.

There is, of course, a solution for that:

This means the options are:
1) Ah
2) mAh
3) mAh with a space between A and mA, this will probably not work if copying data to a spread sheet

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

ggf31416
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2016 - 17:38
Posts: 274
Location: Uruguay
Quote:
There is no sort function, if anybody knows how to get sorting with “TableFilter”, please say.

I never used TableFilter before, but if it’s the TableFilter I found in Google it doesn’t look too difficult:
TableFilter examples
Sort with default data types (you have to click the column in the table header to sort)
Sort with a button
Sort a custom column type

cclight
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 15:53
Posts: 92
Location: Brazil

I prefer Ah as well, and real length. Relying on usual values for BT and protection is not enough for a tight fit. Differences need more work than real length.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
ggf31416 wrote:
Quote:
There is no sort function, if anybody knows how to get sorting with “TableFilter”, please say.

I never used TableFilter before, but if it’s the TableFilter I found in Google it doesn’t look too difficult:
TableFilter examples
Sort with default data types (you have to click the column in the table header to sort)
Sort with a button
Sort a custom column type

I will need to look at this, it may help me a lot.

cclight wrote:
I prefer Ah as well, and real length. Relying on usual values for BT and protection is not enough for a tight fit. Differences need more work than real length.

The real length is never far away, you can always go to the review with a single click and see my measurement. On a PC you just need to place the mouse over the battery name and my info box will be shown.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1435
Location: Germany

HKJ, thank you for your great work!

- real length in mm please
- use mAh because there is less hassle with , and . as decimal separator.

(Despite IMHo mAh and 1000 is wrong. I would prefer Ah because mAh is marketing to get bigger numbers. Hey why not use nA to get even bigger numbers)

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1435
Location: Germany

HKJ wrote:
I have the data from the info box in my reviews and all the logfiles. The table uses the logfiles for all the capacity values, because the info box did not include the high currents or capacity at a specific voltage.

Length is based on button top and protection, i.e. if you know you want a protected button top you already have defined the length (Mostly).
That is also the reason I did not include length, because I already have button top and protection columns.

I disagree, it is not usefull when you have a lamp which takes only short cells.

I had a Utorch UT01 it takes only unprotected 14500, a typical protected 14500 is too long.

But there are a few protected which fit. eg. Xtar 14500 is only 0,3mm longer
https://www.nkon.nl/de/rechargeable/14500-16340-18350-18490-18500/xtar-1...

Filtering about real length is verry appreciated.

I think we get similar problems with protected 21700 (tight tube, battery too long) I don’t have the impression manufacturers have already settled on tube dimensions.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

I looked at sorting again (I had tried before) and found out what my problem was.

It looks slightly different now, but sorting works and I discovered that “!important” can be very useful in CSS.

I am still not sure about the length, with the raw length it is basically impossible to make good filters, except if people has to write mathematical expressions. The style I use where it is possible to select one or more predefined values would not work.
If you selection is down to a few batteries it is very fast to check the length, just move the mouse marker over the battery names. I use the same style of popup as on my other tables, this time with the info box.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Another add-on to tableFilter makes it possible to show/hide columns, I have played some with it and increased the number of columns. This means that a screen need to be 5000 to 6000 pixel wide to see all about 70 columns.

To avoid that I have made it easy to show/hide columns. It was a bit of work because I had to get rid of the plug-ins user interface and supply my own.

Only disadvantage with this is speed, initializing is a bit slow, but I tried it on a smaller computer and a tablet, on both it worked fast enough after loading/initializing.

And with this setup there is no problem including both length and x-length.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6966
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

USA
USA's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 08:44
Posts: 296

wow – thanks! Looks great.

spideroz
spideroz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/21/2018 - 16:51
Posts: 44
Location: France

Nice, thank you for that, very useful!

Your review/test are awesome thanks for that too, having the ability to search your database for specific criteria is really cool. smile

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 571
Location: UK

Great addition to an already awesome resource Thumbs Up

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 571
Location: UK

Also, sizing is good. Perhaps something to consider would be a rating system for batteries, similar to what you have for chargers? This would need to be applied to each battery for it to appear in the index so may not be feasible for existing reviews.