I was very stubborn about not using 14500 cells.

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
hiuintahs
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/15/2014 - 12:24
Posts: 98
Location: Utah

“So just for around the house work and short walks which type of lithium Ion powered flashlights are most favored? I vote for 14500 size cells.”

My favorite is 16340/CR123A. The reason I say that is that with a few 14500/AA lights that I’ve tested, I’ve found the 16340 to perform as good if not better from an efficiency standpoint even despite the fact that the 14500 will have 100mAh more capacity. And the only explanation I can offer is that it has to be related to the type of electronic driver to cover the voltage range from 0.9v up to 4.20v……….which overlaps the typical Vfwd of an LED around 3.0 volts. This complicates the driver. Some cheap out and use PWM when using a 14500.

The Nitecore MT10A and Jetbeam Jet I MK use a good efficient boost driver for the AA battery and PWM for 14500. The Jetbeam Jet I MK is one of my favorite AA lights but I keep an Eneloop in it.

4-Sevens was probably one of the first to put 0.9 to 4.20v driver capability. I found their lights were not as efficient as others that did not cover that voltage range.

The Fenix E15 and PD25 with a 700mAh 16340 have better run times per comparable output than do the LD11 and LD12 using an 800mAh 14500.

So after discovering this I absolutely fell in love with the 16340/CR123A size and only considered AA/14500 lights if I was intending to use them with an AA Eneloop. Disclaimer: I still use a 14500 in the two LD11’s that I have……….knowing that in a pinch I can always use AA. And that I think is the most important aspect of an AA/14500……….the fact that it will take a very common battery.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

I carry the Koenig 16-18 hours a day, every day. BUT, to keep it from being a “beater” I use this little Stedemon also with CTS 204P blade steel to open cardboard boxes and cut tape and such. Wink

I DO have way too many lights to use each one daily of course, with some 220 lights here, other than that I use the things I buy. I don’t have money to buy fancy things and let em sit around to be admired. I use quite a few of my lights on a regular basis, even the Thorfire TK05 in 14500… but I modded the TK05 with TK’s Anduril and put a nice Samsung 80 CRI 5000K emitter in it so I use it quite often in candlelight mode. Big Smile

I have an X5 with JHorton glass aspheric lens (fixed, not zoomie) and I have a high CRI Nichia X5 as well as a very cool little 14500 prototype that also gets used frequently. The Manker Godmes T01 is similar to the X5 in that the reflector is virtually identical, but it too is a unique little 15400 light that I really like a lot.

My TexasLumens chopped 14500 MiniMag has a triple XP-L HI and as a twisty is an all time favorite with over 2000 lumens on tap. This one sports an engraved outline of the Great State of Texas and I also have a unique battery carrier that has a threaded lid that is itself the State of Texas, standing proud and unbelievably well done on a CNC machine by TexasLumens himself. Big Smile (another chopped MiniMag by Dan is micro chopped, using a half cell… the diminutive 14250, this one so small it was difficult to operate as a twisty so I made it a tail clicky.)

The Klarus Mi7Titanium is another 14500 of mine that is sleek and elegant and one of the few lights I own that is not modified in any way. That’s how much I like it! Smile

The UTorch UT01 is also quite special, in it’s own right…

And that all said, Rey’s Bronze pineapple light is another 14500 that I have left completely stock, a status not many lights that come my way get to keep. Big Smile

Olights S1A Baton in solid copper with a Rose Gold PVD coating even got modified with an emitter more to my liking in the tint region. A very sweet 14500 light though…

And yes, the Zebralight SC52 is unique enough to garner a permanent residence here.

I would be remiss if I didn’t say anything about Jaxman’s M2, I did modify it to use only 14500 cells as it now has an XHP-50.2 making just over 3000 lumens, terrific performance from a “penlight” , an outstanding 14500 light that is another cherished variant in my arsenal.

The 14500 format is alive and well over here, fear not! Smile

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456

hiuintahs wrote:
“So just for around the house work and short walks which type of lithium Ion powered flashlights are most favored? I vote for 14500 size cells.”

My favorite is 16340/CR123A. The reason I say that is that with a few 14500/AA lights that I’ve tested, I’ve found the 16340 to perform as good if not better from an efficiency standpoint even despite the fact that the 14500 will have 100mAh more capacity. And the only explanation I can offer is that it has to be related to the type of electronic driver to cover the voltage range from 0.9v up to 4.20v……….which overlaps the typical Vfwd of an LED around 3.0 volts. This complicates the driver. Some cheap out and use PWM when using a 14500.

The Nitecore MT10A and Jetbeam Jet I MK use a good efficient boost driver for the AA battery and PWM for 14500. The Jetbeam Jet I MK is one of my favorite AA lights but I keep an Eneloop in it.

4-Sevens was probably one of the first to put 0.9 to 4.20v driver capability. I found their lights were not as efficient as others that did not cover that voltage range.

The Fenix E15 and PD25 with a 700mAh 16340 have better run times per comparable output than do the LD11 and LD12 using an 800mAh 14500.

So after discovering this I absolutely fell in love with the 16340/CR123A size and only considered AA/14500 lights if I was intending to use them with an AA Eneloop. Disclaimer: I still use a 14500 in the two LD11’s that I have……….knowing that in a pinch I can always use AA. And that I think is the most important aspect of an AA/14500……….the fact that it will take a very common battery.

I have not tried the other small size lithium ion battery flashlights yet. I am waiting for the smoke to clear so to speak. I want to see which size turns out to be most efficient, cost effective, and reliable. I am not comfortable using the CR123 size rechargeable batteries currently available. I use as few primary type batteries as I can because batteries are a large source of pollution. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at some 16340 flashlight now. Thumbs Up

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456

DB Custom wrote:
I carry the Koenig 16-18 hours a day, every day. BUT, to keep it from being a “beater” I use this little Stedemon also with CTS 204P blade steel to open cardboard boxes and cut tape and such. Wink

I DO have way too many lights to use each one daily of course, with some 220 lights here, other than that I use the things I buy. I don’t have money to buy fancy things and let em sit around to be admired. I use quite a few of my lights on a regular basis, even the Thorfire TK05 in 14500… but I modded the TK05 with TK’s Anduril and put a nice Samsung 80 CRI 5000K emitter in it so I use it quite often in candlelight mode. Big Smile

I have an X5 with JHorton glass aspheric lens (fixed, not zoomie) and I have a high CRI Nichia X5 as well as a very cool little 14500 prototype that also gets used frequently. The Manker Godmes T01 is similar to the X5 in that the reflector is virtually identical, but it too is a unique little 15400 light that I really like a lot.

My TexasLumens chopped 14500 MiniMag has a triple XP-L HI and as a twisty is an all time favorite with over 2000 lumens on tap. This one sports an engraved outline of the Great State of Texas and I also have a unique battery carrier that has a threaded lid that is itself the State of Texas, standing proud and unbelievably well done on a CNC machine by TexasLumens himself. Big Smile (another chopped MiniMag by Dan is micro chopped, using a half cell… the diminutive 14250, this one so small it was difficult to operate as a twisty so I made it a tail clicky.)

The Klarus Mi7Titanium is another 14500 of mine that is sleek and elegant and one of the few lights I own that is not modified in any way. That’s how much I like it! Smile

The UTorch UT01 is also quite special, in it’s own right…

And that all said, Rey’s Bronze pineapple light is another 14500 that I have left completely stock, a status not many lights that come my way get to keep. Big Smile

Olights S1A Baton in solid copper with a Rose Gold PVD coating even got modified with an emitter more to my liking in the tint region. A very sweet 14500 light though…

And yes, the Zebralight SC52 is unique enough to garner a permanent residence here.

I would be remiss if I didn’t say anything about Jaxman’s M2, I did modify it to use only 14500 cells as it now has an XHP-50.2 making just over 3000 lumens, terrific performance from a “penlight” , an outstanding 14500 light that is another cherished variant in my arsenal.

The 14500 format is alive and well over here, fear not! Smile

I have heard a lot of love directed about the Zebralight flashlight brand. I just can not allow myself to spend more than $50.00 for a flashlight or multi-tool. So i do not have any Zebralights or FourSevens. Sounds like you have a real nice selection of gear for EDC. I opted for the Lumintop edc05 instead of the Utorch UT01. I naively felt more comfortable thinking since it was a larger company than Utorch that I would be more likely covered by their warranty. I like the design of many Lumintop flashlights. And to date have never had any issues with my Lumintop flashlights. I think I would be person non grata with my wife if I owned 220 flashlights. I own about 15 different flashlights models and feel overwhelmed choosing which one to use. I do have multiple units of some. I do have a Klarus Mi7 ordered from Massdrop. I am going to give another go.
My 14500 flashlights are:

  1. Jetbeam MK-1
  2. Klarus Mi7
  3. Lumintop EDC05-Warm Tint
  4. Lumintop Tool AA V1
  5. Olight S15
  6. Olight S1A
  7. Sofirn SF14-Warm Tint
  8. Thrunite Archer 1A V3-Warm Tint
  9. Wuben E05
  10. Xtar 007-Most bluish tint I have seen in a name brand flashlight.
Smile
264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456
Couchmaster wrote:
For me, when I just want to run out to the back yard and spotlight a skunk or head to the park to walk the dog, the little Nitecore MH20GT (18650) is my fav. It’s light, small, easy to turn on or bump the brightness, and the distance I get is both needed and sweet.

I like the designs of the Nitecore flashlights. The two negatives for me is their beam tints tend to be very cool white and of course the price. I have two Nitecore HC50’s headlamps I purchased on sale. They both have warmer tints. I have a Nitecore P16 18650 original version. These are great products.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2779
Location: USA

264 wrote:
I will take a look at some 16340 flashlight now.
What I don’t like about 16340 cells is their low capacity. You’re much better off with 18350 cells instead. Maybe there aren’t as many 18350 lights out there as there are 16340 lights, but some 18650 lights can be easily converted to 18350 lights by using short tubes, for example Convoy S2+ or BLF A6/Astrolux S1 or Emisar D4. An 18350 cell can also typically deliver more current than 16340.
BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 829
Location: MN

264 wrote:
DB Custom wrote:
I carry the Koenig 16-18 hours a day, every day. BUT, to keep it from being a “beater” I use this little Stedemon also with CTS 204P blade steel to open cardboard boxes and cut tape and such. Wink

I DO have way too many lights to use each one daily of course, with some 220 lights here, other than that I use the things I buy. I don’t have money to buy fancy things and let em sit around to be admired. I use quite a few of my lights on a regular basis, even the Thorfire TK05 in 14500… but I modded the TK05 with TK’s Anduril and put a nice Samsung 80 CRI 5000K emitter in it so I use it quite often in candlelight mode. Big Smile

I have an X5 with JHorton glass aspheric lens (fixed, not zoomie) and I have a high CRI Nichia X5 as well as a very cool little 14500 prototype that also gets used frequently. The Manker Godmes T01 is similar to the X5 in that the reflector is virtually identical, but it too is a unique little 15400 light that I really like a lot.

My TexasLumens chopped 14500 MiniMag has a triple XP-L HI and as a twisty is an all time favorite with over 2000 lumens on tap. This one sports an engraved outline of the Great State of Texas and I also have a unique battery carrier that has a threaded lid that is itself the State of Texas, standing proud and unbelievably well done on a CNC machine by TexasLumens himself. Big Smile (another chopped MiniMag by Dan is micro chopped, using a half cell… the diminutive 14250, this one so small it was difficult to operate as a twisty so I made it a tail clicky.)

The Klarus Mi7Titanium is another 14500 of mine that is sleek and elegant and one of the few lights I own that is not modified in any way. That’s how much I like it! Smile

The UTorch UT01 is also quite special, in it’s own right…

And that all said, Rey’s Bronze pineapple light is another 14500 that I have left completely stock, a status not many lights that come my way get to keep. Big Smile

Olights S1A Baton in solid copper with a Rose Gold PVD coating even got modified with an emitter more to my liking in the tint region. A very sweet 14500 light though…

And yes, the Zebralight SC52 is unique enough to garner a permanent residence here.

I would be remiss if I didn’t say anything about Jaxman’s M2, I did modify it to use only 14500 cells as it now has an XHP-50.2 making just over 3000 lumens, terrific performance from a “penlight” , an outstanding 14500 light that is another cherished variant in my arsenal.

The 14500 format is alive and well over here, fear not! Smile

I have heard a lot of love directed about the Zebralight flashlight brand. I just can not allow myself to spend more than $50.00 for a flashlight or multi-tool. So i do not have any Zebralights or FourSevens. Sounds like you have a real nice selection of gear for EDC. I opted for the Lumintop edc05 instead of the Utorch UT01. I naively felt more comfortable thinking since it was a larger company than Utorch that I would be more likely covered by their warranty. I like the design of many Lumintop flashlights. And to date have never had any issues with my Lumintop flashlights. I think I would be person non grata with my wife if I owned 220 flashlights. I own about 15 different flashlights models and feel overwhelmed choosing which one to use. I do have multiple units of some. I do have a Klarus Mi7 ordered from Massdrop. I am going to give another go.
My 14500 flashlights are:

  1. Jetbeam MK-1
  2. Klarus Mi7
  3. Lumintop EDC05-Warm Tint
  4. Lumintop Tool AA V1
  5. Olight S15
  6. Olight S1A
  7. Sofirn SF14-Warm Tint
  8. Thrunite Archer 1A V3-Warm Tint
  9. Wuben E05
  10. Xtar 007-Most bluish tint I have seen in a name brand flashlight.
Smile

For me getting the Zebra I really liked was cheaper than buying 5+ other lights, not being quite satisfied with them and going with ZL in the end anyway. If others work for you that’s good but I will say I feel more confident in the durability of my ZL over other lights I’ve owned or handled. At this point the only other EDC I’d really be interested in is a PFlexPro or if something totally new comes around.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1976
Location: Foley, MO
MascaratumB wrote:
264 wrote:
toddcshoe wrote:
264 wrote:
teacher wrote:
I like 14500 lights too. In fact I got a Wuben E05 the other day & I am amazed with it. It has quickly become one of my favorite lights.

I like the Wuben E05 also but I think they should have used an OP reflector instead of a smooth one.

Amen. A OP for sure we need. Smile

I tried some DC-Fix film on the lens of the E05. Just made the beam look worse. That film usually works wonders.

Hum, have you tried a different type of diffuser? I tried a piece of a “frosted” diffuser once sent by Boaz and the beam improved greatly! No greens or other shifts! Loses throw, but gains quality!

I replaced the lens entirely with with DC-Fix but it wasn’t the stick on stuff it was the non adhesive thick and stiff like a credit card material stuff. Worked wonders.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456
toddcshoe wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
264 wrote:
toddcshoe wrote:
264 wrote:
teacher wrote:
I like 14500 lights too. In fact I got a Wuben E05 the other day & I am amazed with it. It has quickly become one of my favorite lights.

I like the Wuben E05 also but I think they should have used an OP reflector instead of a smooth one.

Amen. A OP for sure we need. Smile

I tried some DC-Fix film on the lens of the E05. Just made the beam look worse. That film usually works wonders.

Hum, have you tried a different type of diffuser? I tried a piece of a “frosted” diffuser once sent by Boaz and the beam improved greatly! No greens or other shifts! Loses throw, but gains quality!

I replaced the lens entirely with with DC-Fix but it wasn’t the stick on stuff it was the non adhesive thick and stiff like a credit card material stuff. Worked wonders.

I mistakenly did not actually use DC Fix film on my Wuben E05. My bad. When using the Wuben with the supplied 14500 battery on turbo all the defects in the beam can be seen. When using AA battery the film is able to create a blemish free beam and tint. In the next few days I will replace with genuine DC fix and see what happens.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1976
Location: Foley, MO
264 wrote:
I mistakenly did not actually use DC Fix film on my Wuben E05. My bad. When using the Wuben with the supplied 14500 battery on turbo all the defects in the beam can be seen. When using AA battery the film is able to create a blemish free beam and tint. In the next few days I will replace with genuine DC fix and see what happens.

I haven’t tried the thin peel and stick stuff yet. I know this thick stuff I have blocks more light than the original. Might try it. Don’t know why I didn’t try it the first time.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 1400
Location: United States , Pa.

I have DC Fix (thin original) on 3 of my lights . It cuts throw and makes a smooth floody beam. On lights that don’t put out a lot of lumens, it may seem too dim.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

FTR, I didn’t buy the Zebralight… it was a gift. I liked the overall look of it so much that when a friend was “trimming his herd” he gave it to me.

Aren’t 16340 cells 600mAh, same as 18350 and 14500? The Aspire 18350 came out claiming 1300 but that got changed pretty quickly. I know there are some variations between 600 and 700mAh but it’s typical for the better cells to be on the low end.

I have bought a great many lights, sold quite a few and had my stable grow yet again. Need to sell another 100 to be honest but after selling some 70 lights before it’s just really difficult deciding what to part with. I’ll thin em down again, eventually, or build a flashlight storage building…

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2779
Location: USA

DB Custom wrote:
Aren’t 16340 cells 600mAh, same as 18350 and 14500? The Aspire 18350 came out claiming 1300 but that got changed pretty quickly.

Aspire 18350’s rating was revised to 1100 mAh, and it does deliver that, and can deliver reasonably high current as well.

https://liionwholesale.com/blogs/reviews-and-test-results/aspire-18350-1...

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

I use two of the original 1300’s in my Ti X6 from Rey, they perform quite admirably! Big Smile

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163

I’m really not keen on the 14500. I had to get into them when I bought a couple of BLF X5s. At that time there seemed to be only one good choice, 700 mAh as I recall, so I bought four.

Which sit sadly on the shelf, along with the X5s, that serve no purpose for me. Like Goldilocks porridge, just a bit too big, under-performing, not quite right.

I don’t think things have moved on at all since then. An Eneloop has more overall capacity and just quietly delivers the goods. NimH still has a place at the AA size, in this weird world of ours, that continues to ignore boost and buck drivers, perhaps because it’s just too difficult. Or out of the comfort zone. Just a decent linear driver could enthuse me. I think I see some progress happening there, thanks to Mike C.

Stick an Eneloop into e.g. an Olight S15 and be happy. You could use a 14500 too, it would work, but that would be pointless, once you analyse the results. As with any other 14500 powered thing.

Another point, having charged up 14500s in e.g. a domestic environment where they might easily be mistaken for AAs, is not a great idea.

Vapcell seems to have a direct line to the the SOTA cells, which are rather different, if sheer capacity is the be-all and end-all.

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456

P_20181204_014239_vHDR_On-CopyP_20181204_013816_vHDR_OnP_20181204_013848_vHDR_On

I used some actual DC-Fix this time and it made an tremendas improvement in beam quality. Photos taken on a white basement wall. Beam photos are same distance from wall. The beam of the the flashlight is quite nice when you take out the reflector also. It is the Wuben E05 flashlight of course. An important thing I forgot to mention that it was Boaz that sent me the DC-Fix last year so I could do some mad scientist work. It took me almost a year to find a flashlight worthy of needing the fix.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4111
Location: Portugal

Great looking beam Wink

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

Nev
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 07:50
Posts: 1013
Location: U.K.

Tom Tom wrote:
I'm really not keen on the 14500. I had to get into them when I bought a couple of BLF X5s. At that time there seemed to be only one good choice, 700 mAh as I recall, so I bought four. Which sit sadly on the shelf, along with the X5s, that serve no purpose for me. Like Goldilocks porridge, just a bit too big, under-performing, not quite right. I don't think things have moved on at all since then. An Eneloop has more overall capacity and just quietlVC348548315GB. NimH still has a place at the AA size, in this weird world of ours, that continues to ignore boost and buck drivers, perhaps because it's just too difficult. Or out of the comfort zone. Just a decent linear driver could enthuse me. I think I see some progress happening there, thanks to Mike C. Stick an Eneloop into e.g. an Olight S15 and be happy. You could use a 14500 too, it would work, but that would be pointless, once you analyse the results. As with any other 14500 powered thing. Another point, having charged up 14500s in e.g. a domestic environment where they might easily be mistaken for AAs, is not a great idea. Vapcell seems to have a direct line to the the SOTA cells, which are rather different, if sheer capacity is the be-all and end-all.

I've tested 14500's against eneloops in my zebralight H52's & they give more or less the same run time exept you get turbo (+200 lumens) for 1 min with lithiums. 

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456
MascaratumB wrote:
Great looking beam Wink

Thanks man.

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1456

Well I took my new Wuben E05 on a test drive tonight. I used both the supplied 14500 battery and a couple of old worn out Energizer rechargeable AA’s. I live in an urban environment so lots of ambient light even on a nature trail close to my home. Even the old Energizers could kick out enough light to make a difference on high mode. But using the supplied 14500 the flashlight can light up a field a couple hundred feet right in front of the user. Nice little flashlight I must say.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1743
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

264 wrote:
I was very stubborn about not using 14500 cells.

Currently I own four 18650 powered flashlight. Which are used but not much. I do have many AA/14500 powered flashlights that upto a month ago i just used Eneloop batteries in. My favorite type of flashlights now are 14500 powered ones. I was slow to accept 14500 batteries. So just for around the house work and short walks which type of lithium Ion powered flashlights are most favored? I vote for 14500 size cells.


1) I feel you there, it was the same story for me regarding reverse-clicky switches (though I was burned on next mode memory of nuckfutty cheapos). Thankfully Convoy changed that right quick Big Smile

2) 18650 all the way, for several reasons. I’m a sucker for long runtimes but not in the slightest for lumens, I’m a big guy with big hands that isn’t bothered by a slight size increase from AA, and most importantly, 18650 is all the li-ion I have. I live in one of those countries where it’s all but impossible to get li-ion cells imported, so if I am to jump through hoops to get those, I’d much rather get cells for my lights that don’t have an alternative like AA or AAA.

As a side note, I’ve been finding myself using my two sizes of Lumintop Tool and my Thrunite Ti3 and T10 the most often, but that’s always when I have my Convoy M1 or S2 handy, just for peace of mind.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2779
Location: USA

Jack Kellar wrote:
I’m a big guy with big hands that isn’t bothered by a slight size increase from AA,

Have you tried a 26650 light? IMO, that size tube fits even nicer in your hands than 18650, plus more runtime. Smile
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1743
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Pete7874 wrote:
Have you tried a 26650 light? IMO, that size tube fits even nicer in your hands than 18650, plus more runtime. Smile

Certainly thought of it, but times are tight and dosh is shorter than ever, so I’m keeping to the cheapest formats for now. Any budget-friendly (as close to Convoy-tier as possible) recommendations you can think of right off the top of your head? Smile

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 1400
Location: United States , Pa.
Jack Kellar wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
Have you tried a 26650 light? IMO, that size tube fits even nicer in your hands than 18650, plus more runtime. Smile
Certainly thought of it, but times are tight and dosh is shorter than ever, so I’m keeping to the cheapest formats for now. Any budget-friendly (as close to Convoy-tier as possible) recommendations you can think of right off the top of your head? Smile

Sofirn SP 33

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1743
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

pennzy wrote:
Sofirn SP 33

Not bad! Reminds me of when I was looking for a Nitecore EC20 at good price. Gonna keep an eye on this one for when the wallet isn’t as emaciated Big Smile

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2779
Location: USA

Jack Kellar wrote:
Any budget-friendly (as close to Convoy-tier as possible) recommendations you can think of right off the top of your head? Smile
Well, if you like Convoy, there is the BD06 – it can run on both 18650 as well as 26650, thanks to the included adapter. But the Sofirn mentioned by the previous poster is capable of higher output, if that’s of some importance.
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1743
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Actually what I liked most is that the Sofirn can optionally come with a 26650. That’s HUGE when you live where it’s almost impossible to import li-ions.

travis
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 949
Location: SoCal

Mi7 is only $21.99 right now on Massdrop Smile

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the

right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

LightObsession
Online
Last seen: 4 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 02/21/2018 - 00:15
Posts: 367
Location: Illinois, U.S.
Pete7874 wrote:
For walks, I really like Nitecore TIP attached to my hat, just because how light it is..

How do you attach a TIP to your hat? The available clip doesn’t look like it would fit on a hat brim.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 1935
Location: Canada

I’m not a fan of the 14500. I sometimes use them in a couple of older Zebralight SC52’s, just to give them a bit of a pop. But, they’re still plenty bright enough on an Eneloop, so the 14500 isn’t really necessary.

If I need higher output, I’ll go with 18650, which gives some reasonable run-time on a bright level. 14500 just doesn’t have enough juice.

Some other (non Zebralight) AA lights I have really do benefit from a 14500. Many 1xAA lights can be pretty mundane with a AA, but turn into nice lights with a 14500. The problem is those lights often get too hot with a 14500. Okay for brief use, but not so good for more than a couple of minutes.

Pages