FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

12695 posts / 0 new
Last post
EnlightenMe
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 10/29/2018 - 07:46
Posts: 42
Location: United States

What’s the consensus here on emitter options: Do we think two options will be available at rollout, or will there be a large production run of one style first with the other emitter option TBA later?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12183
Location: LI NY

EnlightenMe wrote:
What's the consensus here on emitter options: Do we think two options will be available at rollout, or will there be a large production run of one style first with the other emitter option TBA later?

I would think the team's OP is correct for the current offerings - it's spelled out pretty clearly there.

dealgrabber2002
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2014 - 23:51
Posts: 567
Location: California

If I enter Muggle mode and I click and hold, will the turbo be max at the Muggle mode or regular mode?

contactcr
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2067
Location: US

Muggle mode is super low max brightness, there is no “turbo”

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1401
Location: Germany

dealgrabber2002 wrote:
If I enter Muggle mode and I click and hold, will the turbo be max at the Muggle mode or regular mode?

According to the manual muggle mode is ca. 10 lm to ca. 300 lm. No special blink modes and it survives a battery change.
It should jump to 300 lm
madsnake
madsnake's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 11/18/2016 - 17:08
Posts: 56
Location: Bulgaria

I am interested in one with the samsung leds if it is not too late.

bigtrav261
bigtrav261's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/20/2017 - 15:37
Posts: 160
Location: Julian (Greensboro), North Carolina

Add me for one with LH351D, please.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9638
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
joechina wrote:
dealgrabber2002 wrote:
If I enter Muggle mode and I click and hold, will the turbo be max at the Muggle mode or regular mode?
According to the manual muggle mode is ca. 10 lm to ca. 300 lm. No special blink modes and it survives a battery change. It should jump to 300 lm

Muggle mode is simplified to only a few actions:

  • Click for on/off.
  • Hold to change brightness.
  • 6 clicks to exit.

… and that’s all. There is no turbo, no shortcut to max, no click-release-hold, nothing.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19891
Location: Heart of Texas

Plainly put, no magic. Wink

robertsig
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 01/14/2019 - 18:21
Posts: 89
Location: Ohio

I am in for one.   LH351D.  Thanks.

 

WTF
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 03/05/2017 - 20:13
Posts: 234

One XPL Hi please.

cdjaney
cdjaney's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 14:27
Posts: 398
Location: Deep South, Alabama

I’ve tried searching with no success….but I have a feeling this has been asked or discussed before. Can someone tell me what the comparison of beam,output etc between the XPL-HI version and the LHD version should be?

OR…can you link me to where that info might be?

I’m interested in one…maybe two lights….but curious about this.

TIA!

John 1:5 "The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 4816
Location: Canada

Output:
The XP-L HI will have the highest output, but the LH351D 4000k 90CRI isn’t actually that far behind considering it’s a 90CRI emitter.

Beam:
The XP-L HI will be quite a bit throwier than the LH351D. The LH351D will be much floodier.

Tint:
Unless Lumintop/we find a golden way below BBL sample, the XP-L HI will have a better tint than the LH351D, especially if the XP-L HI comes in a 5D tint bin.
The LH351D is not bad, just not as good as the XP-L HI in terms of tint.

Color rendition:
The LH351D hands down. It crushes the XP-L HI if not counting for the tint, especially outdoors.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3369
Location: Calif

One LH351D 4000k 90CRI for me please

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 609
Location: ILLinois

I’m already down for one, XPL HI

Put me down for another one, the other LED

anyone in NE ILLinois into get togethers?

dealgrabber2002
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2014 - 23:51
Posts: 567
Location: California
ToyKeeper wrote:
joechina wrote:
dealgrabber2002 wrote:
If I enter Muggle mode and I click and hold, will the turbo be max at the Muggle mode or regular mode?
According to the manual muggle mode is ca. 10 lm to ca. 300 lm. No special blink modes and it survives a battery change. It should jump to 300 lm

Muggle mode is simplified to only a few actions:

  • Click for on/off.
  • Hold to change brightness.
  • 6 clicks to exit.

… and that’s all. There is no turbo, no shortcut to max, no click-release-hold, nothing.

Memory?

scalyman.
scalyman.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2018 - 08:07
Posts: 9
Location: Australia

I am already down for one. I think I would like to change that to 2 please. One of each emitter type. Thanks Big Smile

OldSchoolAirCool
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 23:31
Posts: 4
Location: Eugene, OR

I’m already down for 2 LH351D lights (didn’t see my name on the list though), but would like to bump that to 3 if possible.

Thank you!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10924
Location: Houston Texas

OldSchoolAirCool wrote:
I’m already down for 2 LH351D lights (didn’t see my name on the list though),

As I said a couple days ago…

JasonWW wrote:

There have been no updates to the main list since Jan 6th. So everyone that has made a request since then will not see their name until the list is updated again.

If your not sure when the list was last updated, just click the last name on the list. You will go to the request and see the date and time.

Thanks


Your initial request was Jan 9th, that’s why you don’t see your name on the list yet.
Eraursls1984
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2014 - 01:44
Posts: 211
Location: North Florida

BlueSwordM wrote:

Tint:
Unless Lumintop/we find a golden way below BBL sample, the XP-L HI will have a better tint than the LH351D, especially if the XP-L HI comes in a 5D tint bin.
The LH351D is not bad, just not as good as the XP-L HI in terms of tint.

5D is 4000K, correct? We’re supposed to see the XP-L HI in 5000K, so maybe 3A (most common availability I see).
OldSchoolAirCool
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 23:31
Posts: 4
Location: Eugene, OR

Whoops, I missed that. Thank you.

Nite Shadow
Nite Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 11/17/2011 - 00:12
Posts: 207
Location: PA, USA

I thought it XPL HI 3D? Would be great but I am probably wrong.

Shadowfax
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 02:47
Posts: 30
Location: California

Please increase my order from one light to two — one of each emitter type.

Thanks to all the fine folks making this design happen — greatly appreciate all of your hard work.

“Put down that cell phone and get a real flashlight”!

Kame Sennin
Kame Sennin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 09/24/2018 - 14:38
Posts: 228
Location: France

Please add me for one with LH351D

Many thanks to the people who spend their time so we can all get a nice torch !

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12183
Location: LI NY

The OP states XPL HI 3D, though I prefer the XPL HI 5D from IOS/MtnE - the best tint I've seen - milky white, consistent thru the hot spot, corona and flood. Been using the 5D's is a few mods and loving them -- just my opinion of course smile

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19891
Location: Heart of Texas

Ah, and therein lies the rub… anyone answering tint questions answers in a subjective manner in relation to their own perception and perspective. Take Blue Swords answer above as an example, I totally disagree and would immediately pull any 4000K emitters I got in a light and do so every time. 5D is way too warm for me as well. 3D is as low as I’d go, ever. So it’s completely in the eye of the beholder. The LH351D in W6 5000K is a nice white emitter, it doesn’t throw like the domeless HI but it’s hot spot is well defined and it doesn’t have the artifacts of a Cree emitter, HD or HI either one.

Y’all know I build a lot of lights. I get Cree emitters as needed and keep my fingers crossed. I order Samsung LH351D’s by the 20’s, 30’s, even 50’s. Just got 30 in a week or so ago. That’s my testament to the Samsung emitters… and of course just my opinion. Wink The other glaring praise for the Samsungs for me is that I have them in my Titanium/Copper scratch made EDC Quad. The beam profile is a pleasure every time I use it, love em! As an 18500 sized quad, I don’t expect it to have a great amount of throw and that’s not how it’s used. I would think the FW3A would fit in the same category, an EDC close range light that is used nearly daily for the every day little drops and losses, nuts and bolts, keys, pocket change, the normal little things that make it worth having a light on hand all the time. But again, that’s my take and everyone else’s may diverge quite broadly….

coherent-rambling
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/23/2018 - 14:52
Posts: 22
DB Custom wrote:
Ah, and therein lies the rub… anyone answering tint questions answers in a subjective manner in relation to their own perception and perspective.

We often use the terms loosely, but I’d argue that “tint” specifically refers to up/down movement away from the blackbody line. Pinkish and greenish are tints. You’re talking about CCT, which doesn’t have such a handy one-word descriptor, but is largely left-right movement along the blackbody line. Technically both are subjective, but there’s a lot more agreement about ideal tint than there is about ideal CCT. Indeed, 3D and 5D being both below the blackbody line, you seem to agree with Tom about tint.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19891
Location: Heart of Texas

I prefer an “A” or “D” as far as the black body Locus is concerned. Below or ideally, at, the line. But we seldom get our choice in these matters.

So I agree with Tom in the choice of a D, not in the choice of a 5. 2A or 3A would be my preference most of the time. I prefer white, no tint. No green or blue or purple or pink or orange or rose or brown, just white.

My Avatar is in color, by the way. 17 emitters, in moon mode. White. Or very close to it.

bansuri
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2017 - 23:43
Posts: 393
Location: Land of Lincoln
DB Custom wrote:
I prefer white, no tint. No green or blue or purple or pink or orange or rose or brown, just white. .

Perfection.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 44 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9357
Location: NE & SW Alabama
DB Custom wrote:
Ah, and therein lies the rub… anyone answering tint questions answers in a subjective manner in relation to their own perception and perspective. Take Blue Swords answer above as an example, I totally disagree and would immediately pull any 4000K emitters I got in a light and do so every time. 5D is way too warm for me as well. 3D is as low as I’d go, ever. So it’s completely in the eye of the beholder. The LH351D in W6 5000K is a nice white emitter, it doesn’t throw like the domeless HI but it’s hot spot is well defined and it doesn’t have the artifacts of a Cree emitter, HD or HI either one.

DB Custom wrote:

I prefer an “A” or “D” as far as the black body Locus is concerned. Below or ideally, at, the line. But we seldom get our choice in these matters.

So I agree with Tom in the choice of a D, not in the choice of a 5. 2A or 3A would be my preference most of the time. I prefer white, no tint. No green or blue or purple or pink or orange or rose or brown, just white.

My Avatar is in color, by the way. 17 emitters, in moon mode. White. Or very close to it.

I am in complete agreement with DB Custom on this. I don’t think it could be said any clearer or more concisely…. so nothing else need be said, or ‘attempted’ to be said; by me.

DB Custom’s Avatar. (A color picture by the way.)
“17 emitters, in moon mode. White. Or very close to it.”

True Neutral WhiteX°-tm / White, no tint. No green or blue or purple or pink or orange or rose or brown, just WHITE... as much as possible.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Pages