Fireflies E07 preview

2004 posts / 0 new
Last post
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20316
Location: Heart of Texas

Well, for what it’s worth, the E07 isn’t polished Aluminum at all but merely anodized with no dye bath direct from the CNC machines. I love it, looks like I made it myself! (Yeah, right!) Does make me wish I had a mill though so I’d have the technical ability to make such as this if not the actual skill set… lol

As far as looking like a WalMart light goes, the only light I ever bought at WalMart is a MagLite and they have legendary ano skills so…. not sure why a WalMart light would have to look cheap by default. Buy dirt cheap, you get what you pay for…

Overload
Overload's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 01/15/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 74
Location: Belguim

Does the temperature protection only works at turbo mode?The light went dimmer(from turbo to ???) at 55°C.After that, it stays at the same level, so the light went very hot—->70°C
Is that normal?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20316
Location: Heart of Texas

Have you calibrated the ambient temperature setting in the light and also set the thermal step down? Relying on factory settings is not typically the way to go, they don’t set each and every light to work to your specs out of the box…

contactcr
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2772
Location: US

Calibrate the temp and set it lower. It works at any level above 380mah i think.

Overload
Overload's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 01/15/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 74
Location: Belguim
DB Custom wrote:
Have you calibrated the ambient temperature setting in the light and also set the thermal step down? Relying on factory settings is not typically the way to go, they don’t set each and every light to work to your specs out of the box…

Yes, callibrated it with the temperature of the led board, step down at 55°C (25 clicks)

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12252
Location: LI NY

pennzy wrote:
I think the X9 bezel is titanium .

Yes, it's listed as titanium, so is the AX3 I have that has the same look to the bezel as the X9. But again it's the finish/look. The titanium tube on the D4Ti is more shiny, so probably personal preference what you like better.

I dropped the AX3 on my cold asphalt driver the other night and got a slight nick on the alum tail and also on the bezel. Least for the bezel, can probably sand it out, but the black anodized tail is not so easy unless I strip the ano off.

kanton
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 23:39
Posts: 132

So I received my E07 today (SST20 95 CRI, clear anno) directly from Fireflies. The head was not glued, as ordered. The optic’s leg was broken off like most of the others – probably the old batch. Screws are intact though.
My Samsung 30Ts I ordered from NKON seperately fit in there pretty good – I don’t have a giant solder blob on the front spring like most people seem to have – looks decent.

I can see through the holes of the PCBs that mine too has no thermal paste whatsoever beneath it. However, from what I can see, the MCPCB sits flush on the shelf of mine, heat transfer is also immediate. I will open it to attempt the emitter swap anyway – then I will see more.
One thing I immediately noticed though is, that the battery tube has a slightly different gloss than the head and the tailcap – it’s glossier while the head and tailcap are more milky – are they made from different materials?

One very interesting thing: Fireflies claimed earlier, that the SST20 would turn blue immediately with a Samsunug 30T no matter how good the connection between the MCPCB and the light would be. This is not true for my light. Mines didn’t turn blue even when I kept it on turbo and it started regulating itself after some time (battery fully charged of course).

Another thing I have seen people mentioning only briefly: My E07 has the shittiest pocket clip I have ever seen. It’s so stiff that it just pops off when you try to open it enough to clip it onto your jeans – the clip’s connection to the light is just much weaker than the force needed to open it enough to fit any material in between. It’s completely unusable on mine.

Other than that – it works as far as I can see. Aux lights works, main lights work. The switch feels cheap and mushy but for me not as catastrophic as many people seem to think it is. After using it a couple of times it feels pretty natural.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12252
Location: LI NY

By pocket clip, you mean the anti roll device? smile   I've been flexing mine and got it opened up enough to work pretty well.The clip no longer is in contact with the tube.

On a 40T pulling over 23 amps initially, I didn't notice any blue as well on the SST-20 4000K's.

koubak
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 days ago
Joined: 09/14/2018 - 06:17
Posts: 30

Firemedic wrote:
I was thinking about trying scotch brite on my tailcap to see if it dulls it. I believe it has a clear coat over it cause it will not polish with metal polish

Let me know how it goes!

Tom E wrote:

I guess you guys would like the looks of the Amutorch X9 w/titanium tube, or the Amutorch AX3 head then – it’s a dull/matte finish which to me looks cheap. I prefer the shiny titanium of the D4Ti tube, and shiny polished copper for flashlights. Even the SS bezels on the Amutorchs are a dull matte finish. I think the E07 clear ano version looks great as-is and doesn’t look cheap at all, but when I think about it, for bathroom/kitchen fixtures I prefer the matte nickel or SS finishes vs. polished chrome.


I would definitely like a nickel or titanium finish.

Yournamehere90 wrote:
koubak wrote:
I’d be happy to trade it for a grey one if anyone is interested.

What emitters and aux colors does it have?


Emitters: XPL HI 4000K (barely used so far, since the battery I received it with is already in low voltage).
Auxiliary: purple and red for low voltage.

DB Custom wrote:
Well, for what it’s worth, the E07 isn’t polished Aluminum at all but merely anodized with no dye bath direct from the CNC machines. I love it, looks like I made it myself! (Yeah, right!) Does make me wish I had a mill though so I’d have the technical ability to make such as this if not the actual skill set… lol

As far as looking like a WalMart light goes, the only light I ever bought at WalMart is a MagLite and they have legendary ano skills so…. not sure why a WalMart light would have to look cheap by default. Buy dirt cheap, you get what you pay for…


Actually I live in Europe, so Walmart is just a concept for me. I was just trying to express that this shiny silver metal does not work with me because it is too fancy and does not necessarily go with quality in my mind, and I prefer the (perhaps more sober) matte materials.
Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3635
Location: California

Personally, I love the look and feel of the shiny E07.

However, if you really find it too shiny and want to dull it down, there are better options than taking a scotch bright to it. It’s shiny because there is a layer of clear anodizing on it protecting the aluminum and preventing it from oxidizing.

If you want a duller appearance, just remove the anodizing. The simplest way is to soak the light in something that removes anodizing. I use Greased Lightning from my local hardware store. But you could use drain cleaner. Even bleach might work, but could take forever.

The safest way to do this is to disassemble the light and soak the bare aluminum parts. However, for this light disassembly is quite an operation and would require careful soldering. For those not comfortable attempting that, the next option is to soak the light whole.

Before soaking, I recommend checking and lubricating all o-rings. The light is going to be immersed in liquid for quite some time and you don’t want corrosive stuff leaking inside. You may also want to tape off the the bezel or other parts that you don’t want to become damaged. I’m not sure if Greased Lightning will affect steel, but I don’t think I’d want to risk it. I use vinyl electroplating tape for masking.

For safety, I recommend against soaking the light with the battery inside. If you need more weight to make the empty light sink into your soaking solution, fill the battery compartment with a stack of coins.

After the anodizing is removed the light will be a dull raw aluminum color. This will naturally oxidize to a slightly whiter color over time.

timbo114
timbo114's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2014 - 14:24
Posts: 360
Location: On a lake in SW PA

Anyone receive a colored anno unit with beveled fins yet?

I really love that gun gray, but also like the chamfered fins of the clear version.

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 3881
Location: Ohio

Woo-hoo, DHL tracking FINALLY updated (this was the first actual scan and first actual log entry other than “awaiting item”) and my light is in Cali, should be here Tuesday!

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Tom E wrote:
By pocket clip, you mean the anti roll device? smile

Yeah… This style of pocket clip was going around a while ago, 2017 and 2018, from multiple brands. I’m not sure why that happened, but I don’t like it. Maybe it was a fad, maybe someone produced a huge amount and sold them cheap, I don’t know. I’d rather have almost any other style of clip though.

However, the rest of the E07 is quite nice. It’s definitely a light I make a point of using regularly, because I like it a lot.

Firemedic
Firemedic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2019 - 20:39
Posts: 101
Location: Alabama

I like this 2 way olight h2r clip better. Carry heads up or down option.

ZW99GT
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/08/2011 - 10:52
Posts: 202
Location: DFW

Yournamehere90 wrote:
ZW99GT wrote:

That’s incredibly shady of Fireflies. The real thing pumps out a lot more heat, much quicker. I don’t have any way to measure output unfortunately.

It might be a shady move from Fireflies. It might also be that they accepted one of the lowest bids and didn’t realize they were buying fakes. In any case, Neal refunded me $6 because he said the fake should be worth about $5. So in the end, I paid $5 for a $5 battery. I’m not upset.

Tom E wrote:

My 40T measured at 23.1 amps on the E07 w/SST-20 4000K’s, also from Liionwholesale.

Did you receive a fake that you can test and compare?

That’s a fair point, absolutely possible that fireflies didn’t know. But, for someone operating in this space acquiring tens of thousands of emitters and thousand of drivers and components, i consider it unlikely to not know who to trust to purchase a cell or how to tell the difference.

Regardless, we’re all rolling the dice each time we buy a budget light, and I wouldn’t have cared a single bit if this light was twice the price, I think it’s awesome. The battery deal, and then no official response or offer of making it right is shady.

kanton
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 23:39
Posts: 132
ToyKeeper wrote:
Tom E wrote:
By pocket clip, you mean the anti roll device? smile

Yeah… This style of pocket clip was going around a while ago, 2017 and 2018, from multiple brands. I’m not sure why that happened, but I don’t like it. Maybe it was a fad, maybe someone produced a huge amount and sold them cheap, I don’t know. I’d rather have almost any other style of clip though.

Not sure what point of the clip design you are referring to – do you mean the click-onto-the-tube-style? Because the D4 has one of these too but it just works perfectly on mine. It’s much longer, weaker tension and just holds perfectly onto the body. I had it clipped onto my belt for months and I head zero issues with the clip failing. My Klarus XT2CR lost the clip about twice a day or so. Really annoying. The E07 now loses the clip whenever I try to put it onto ANY fabric. I could try to bend it, but i won’t wear as a pocket light anyway – the head is too big for my taste to do that.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
kanton wrote:
Not sure what point of the clip design you are referring to …

The entire thing. I don’t like the one Hank originally used on the D4 either. And Lumintop tried to get us to use one on the FW3A at one point, but the team unanimously rejected the idea:

Here’s the one originally used on the D4:

… and on the V11R Mirage:

… and the E07:

I haven’t liked this clip design on any light I’ve ever encountered.

I’d like to see an Olight-style clip instead, ideally with a full ring (like the FW3A, and the SolarForce L2 clip) instead of arms.

MokrySedeS
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: 10/14/2018 - 06:17
Posts: 17
Location: Poland

kanton wrote:
I can see through the holes of the PCBs that mine too has no thermal paste whatsoever beneath it. However, from what I can see, the MCPCB sits flush on the shelf of mine, heat transfer is also immediate. I will open it to attempt the emitter swap anyway – then I will see more.

I also have clear ano with SST20’s and noticed the same thing. MCPCB seems to make full contact with the shelf and the head warms up really fast on turbo. Please report back your findings when you take yours apart because I’d really like to avoid messing with mine.
Firemedic
Firemedic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2019 - 20:39
Posts: 101
Location: Alabama

YES! The ring attachment will always beat the clip arms that scratch the light over time and can come off. I’m looking, but 21700 battery tube size is not near as common as 18650:(

MokrySedeS
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: 10/14/2018 - 06:17
Posts: 17
Location: Poland

ToyKeeper wrote:
And Lumintop tried to get us to use one on the FW3A at one point, but the team unanimously rejected the idea
Thank God. The ring-style clip is one of the main perks that I like about FW3A. It would be much less appealing to me otherwise.

kanton wrote:
My E07 has the shittiest pocket clip I have ever seen. It’s so stiff that it just pops off when you try to open it enough to clip it onto your jeans – the clip’s connection to the light is just much weaker than the force needed to open it enough to fit any material in between. It’s completely unusable on mine.
I’ve had exactly the same experience, but I think I’ve fixed it just now.
Here’s what I’ve done:
1. Install the clip backwards so that it extends beyond the tailcap. Hold it in place with a thumb so that it doesn’t pop off and pull with an index finger to bend it slightly.
2. Tied it down with a braided fishing line using a trilene knot.

Yeah, it doesn’t look pretty (though it’s much less noticeable in person than the picture), but it seems to be very strong (for now).
Also, this is my first attempt and I have no experience with “fancy” knots, never had any interest in fishing, so I’m sure it could look better.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3635
Location: California

MokrySedeS wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
And Lumintop tried to get us to use one on the FW3A at one point, but the team unanimously rejected the idea
Thank God. The ring-style clip is one of the main perks that I like about FW3A. It would be much less appealing to me otherwise.

kanton wrote:
My E07 has the shittiest pocket clip I have ever seen. It’s so stiff that it just pops off when you try to open it enough to clip it onto your jeans – the clip’s connection to the light is just much weaker than the force needed to open it enough to fit any material in between. It’s completely unusable on mine.
I’ve had exactly the same experience, but I think I’ve fixed it just now.
Here’s what I’ve done:
1. Install the clip backwards so that it extends beyond the tailcap. Hold it in place with a thumb so that it doesn’t pop off and pull with an index finger to bend it slightly.
2. Tied it down with a braided fishing line using a trilene knot.

Yeah, it doesn’t look pretty (though it’s much less noticeable in person than the picture), but it seems to be very strong (for now).
Also, this is my first attempt and I have no experience with “fancy” knots, never had any interest in fishing, so I’m sure it could look better.

Good idea with the fishing line.

FYI: for those like me without knotting skills I’ve found that a simple double-X knot of Trilene can be made super-durable by applying a little super-glue gel to the knot.

kanton
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 23:39
Posts: 132

Agreed, full-ring would be the way to go. I am very happy that the clip-on was rejected for the FW3A. And I am glad that I did get another clip for my D4, not the first one. I checked my XT2CR again, and the clip is, besides from the color and the holes in it, almost identical to the one of the E07.

TSO
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 06/17/2017 - 21:13
Posts: 124

Howdy, about ready to purchase an E07. I’ve read most of the thread, have seen the issues and the potential solutions. But some questions to sum up –
- where best to purchase? Fireflies or nealsgadgets or…?
- is there a discount path still valid anywhere?
- planning to get the 6500k emitter, anything I should know?
- is the best battery option still a (genuine) Samsung 40T, or has something risen above it in testing?
Thanks for helping out!
(I also realize Fireflies is on vacation until 2/15.)

Firemedic
Firemedic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2019 - 20:39
Posts: 101
Location: Alabama

When you purchase, definitely pay for expedited dhl shipping. It’s so much faster. Buy your 40T from a reputable “battery dealer.” There is a thread on here with a discount code for all sellers, but you have to request banggoods code.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7580
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

got rid of the burrs and some scratches...

i need to add a stronger chamfer too i think (45° 1mm ? )

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

 

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

Adhara
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 01:57
Posts: 205
Location: Usa

M4D M4X wrote:

got rid of the burrs and some scratches…


Very nice!
mattheww1950
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/01/2013 - 19:06
Posts: 86
Location: SW PA

Does anyone know why the Nichia 219B variant of this light seems to have disappeared? It does not appear to be available from anyone any longer. Is this temporary, or has this version simply been permanently withdrawn?
Thanks

twisted raven
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 469
Location: texas

I think fireflies ran out of 219Bs.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12252
Location: LI NY

here's some 21700 battery test results I ran:

You do have to put this into perspective:

  • These tests are done for turn-on only, no indication how the cell droppage works
  • it's a one shot test, no averaging over several runs, etc.
  • amps is measured first, then lumens reading taken
  • amps is taken using a clamp meter with the tailcap removed - stock tail spring is high qual but not bypassed, so lumens may read lower compared to measured amps.

Interesting the 30T got such high amps but didn't deliver based on comparisons to other cells. The 40T is the actual winner, over the 30T. Also interesting the true branded 30T and 40T did notably better than the rest.

 

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5342
Location: Canada

@TomE, I think the Samsung 30T was pushing the emitters way too hard.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Pages