Eneloop went thorough the washing machine

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trippwire
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2017 - 07:58
Posts: 13
Eneloop went thorough the washing machine

A loose aa eneloop went through the wash, is it safe to use once dry? A quick google search says I should throw it out as water would have gone in the vent hole. Another search result says dry it and if it charges its fine…

Surely I’m not the first one on here to do this, any thoughts? I don’t want to damage any of my lights for the cost of a new battery.

bilakos10
bilakos10's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/22/2013 - 14:25
Posts: 1279
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

I wouldn't use the cell in a good flashlight, or any other device that I care about.
The chance of a NiMH leaking is very low, but it can definitely increase after going through a wash cycle Smile 

My daily deals thread: ☢ [Gearbest.com Special Deals]
If you need any coupon code, just leave a reply on the thread.

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 4573
Location: Canada

Well, was it completely dry?

If not, then I would not trust it.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 1793
Location: Canada

The vent hole should only open when the internal pressure inside the battery gets so high that the cell needs to vent gas. It shouldn’t allow water into the light.

I’d run it though a couple of full charge/discharge cycles, and measure its capacity to make sure that it hasn’t been damaged. Then leave it for a couple of weeks, and make sure it doesn’t self-discharge much, or show signs of any leaks. If it checks out okay, go ahead and use it.

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 2637
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
The vent hole should only open when the internal pressure inside the battery gets so high that the cell needs to vent gas. It shouldn’t allow water into the light.

I’d run it though a couple of full charge/discharge cycles, and measure its capacity to make sure that it hasn’t been damaged. Then leave it for a couple of weeks, and make sure it doesn’t self-discharge much, or show signs of any leaks. If it checks out okay, go ahead and use it.

And don’t lose your charger out of sight!

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

JamesB
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 08/24/2011 - 14:43
Posts: 830
Location: France

I would toss it, for peace of mind, eneloop are so cheap.

sochi111
sochi111's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 14:59
Posts: 179
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
I’d run it though a couple of full charge/discharge cycles, and measure its capacity to make sure that it hasn’t been damaged. Then leave it for a couple of weeks, and make sure it doesn’t self-discharge much, or show signs of any leaks. If it checks out okay, go ahead and use it.

I would bury the AA in rice for a day or 2 and then leave it alone for a few days and then charge discharge etc just as Walkintothelight described.

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3298
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

I done this to a AAA Eneloop its still okay. I was hesitant do use it but i left it for a weeks and it held charge fine.

Tumbleweed48
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2012 - 23:21
Posts: 728
Location: Canada

I’d never toss something that I could learn from – I’d be letting it dry thoroughly for a few days (the rice method is fine, but the humidity here right now is 20%) and then putting it on the charger. Sure, Eneloops are cheap but science comes first! Big Smile

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3298
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)
Tumbleweed48 wrote:
I’d never toss something that I could learn from – I’d be letting it dry thoroughly for a few days (the rice method is fine, but the humidity here right now is 20%) and then putting it on the charger. Sure, Eneloops are cheap but science comes first! Big Smile

Science test to see how fast the firefighters can get there? lol Silly

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 1793
Location: Canada
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
Tumbleweed48 wrote:
I’d never toss something that I could learn from – I’d be letting it dry thoroughly for a few days (the rice method is fine, but the humidity here right now is 20%) and then putting it on the charger. Sure, Eneloops are cheap but science comes first! Big Smile

Science test to see how fast the firefighters can get there? lol Silly

I don’t think NiMH can catch fire. If this were lithium-ion batteries, yeah I’d be more concerned.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8037
Location: Berkeley, California

Here’s a site that tested six common household materials for their ablity to dry out soaked electronics:
https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-t...

kuzuna
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/30/2018 - 15:03
Posts: 30

It should be noted that while getting water out of electronics is well and good, if corrosion has already happened, drying them out may not help. And corrosion can happen FAST, especially if the device is on when it gets wet. I’m talking within seconds of getting wet for certain components.

Nev
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 07:50
Posts: 604
Location: U.K.

is the AA eneloop clean ?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8322
Location: nyc
Nev wrote:
is the AA eneloop clean ?

It is now

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9138
Location: NE & SW Alabama

After the thorough cleaning did it retain any charge?? Just curious….

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3493
Location: California

kuzuna wrote:
It should be noted that while getting water out of electronics is well and good, if corrosion has already happened, drying them out may not help. And corrosion can happen FAST, especially if the device is on when it gets wet. I’m talking within seconds of getting wet for certain components.

Holy cow! I had no idea Coke could destroy a computer so fast! Sick
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8322
Location: nyc
kuzuna wrote:
It should be noted that while getting water out of electronics is well and good, if corrosion has already happened, drying them out may not help. And corrosion can happen FAST, especially if the device is on when it gets wet. I’m talking within seconds of getting wet for certain components.

Wellp, a few things…

Perhaps he should look up “electrolysis” when he talks about “corrosion”.

Coke has phosphoric acid. Perhaps he should look up “naval jelly”. It’s used to clean crapped-up objects down to the base metal, dissolving nasties along the way. It also has phosphoric acid.

Also, he’s running 18V through that board, vs just dropping it in a deenergised board. Back to “electrolysis”.

Last, I’ve heard of people dropping phones, etc., into puddles, toilets, etc., but not into buckets of coke. Back to phosphoric acid (vs plain water).

It’s like he’s complaining how badly oven-mitts can get burned on a stovetop, but then turning on all the burners and dumping gasoline all over the stove. “Wow! Lookit all that damage to the mitts in just a few seconds!”

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9138
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Wow!! . Shocked . Very interesting video kuzuna, thanks for sharing it. Thumbs Up
.
I’ll say it again Lightbringer, you have a great way with words!! . Thumbs Up Your cracking me up with your analysis. An accurate analysis too I might add. Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3493
Location: California
Lightbringer wrote:
kuzuna wrote:
It should be noted that while getting water out of electronics is well and good, if corrosion has already happened, drying them out may not help. And corrosion can happen FAST, especially if the device is on when it gets wet. I’m talking within seconds of getting wet for certain components.

Wellp, a few things…

Perhaps he should look up “electrolysis” when he talks about “corrosion”.

Coke has phosphoric acid. Perhaps he should look up “naval jelly”. It’s used to clean crapped-up objects down to the base metal, dissolving nasties along the way. It also has phosphoric acid.

Also, he’s running 18V through that board, vs just dropping it in a deenergised board. Back to “electrolysis”.

Last, I’ve heard of people dropping phones, etc., into puddles, toilets, etc., but not into buckets of coke. Back to phosphoric acid (vs plain water).

It’s like he’s complaining how badly oven-mitts can get burned on a stovetop, but then turning on all the burners and dumping gasoline all over the stove. “Wow! Lookit all that damage to the mitts in just a few seconds!”

All true.

However, the video did have a point:

When people accidentally drip Coke into their computer, it probably IS powered on. And it sounds like the damage can occur in just seconds with an energized board.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9138
Location: NE & SW Alabama

/\Thumbs Up … That too. Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8322
Location: nyc
teacher wrote:
Wow!! . Shocked . Very interesting video kuzuna, thanks for sharing it. Thumbs Up . I’ll say it again Lightbringer, you have a great way with words!! . Thumbs Up Your cracking me up with your analysis. An accurate analysis too I might add. Wink

I just get really tired of all the disgustingly dishonest clickbait on yootoob.

It’s almost as bad as the “10 things in your kitchen that can kill you! News at 11…”. (Carving knife, meat-cleaver, skewers… uhh, yeah, and…???)

Or the “road-rage” flicks showing some very-well-endowed chick in a spraypainted-on sweater… who’s nowhere to be found in the entire vid! Wtf??

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8322
Location: nyc
Firelight2 wrote:
When people accidentally drip Coke into their computer, it probably IS powered on. And it sounds like the damage can occur in just seconds with an energized board.

Wellp, I might accidentally drip something onto/into my keyboard, but I’d have to be actually physically climbing on the desk to drip something into my computer.

And anyone who slovenly drips cokola into a phone either has to live in a sty and drips everything everywhere, or just plain deserves the results.

I’m having a really hard time finding sympathy for either.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3493
Location: California
Lightbringer wrote:
Firelight2 wrote:
When people accidentally drip Coke into their computer, it probably IS powered on. And it sounds like the damage can occur in just seconds with an energized board.

Wellp, I might accidentally drip something onto/into my keyboard, but I’d have to be actually physically climbing on the desk to drip something into my computer.

And anyone who slovenly drips cokola into a phone either has to live in a sty and drips everything everywhere, or just plain deserves the results.

I’m having a really hard time finding sympathy for either.

Hahaha yeah.

I know someone who accidentally tipped their Coke into their desktop computer years ago. He had his desktop box positioned in such a way that a spilled drink would go right in. Some poor planning there. Facepalm

It died instantly. Never worked again.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8322
Location: nyc
Firelight2 wrote:
I know someone who accidentally tipped their Coke into their desktop computer years ago. He had his desktop box positioned in such a way that a spilled drink would go right in. Some poor planning there. Facepalm

Is he one of those who used the cd-drive’s tray as a cupholder?

I’m telling ya, I see people do things where I’d swear I can hear the Loony Toonz theme playing in the background…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7008
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Clean energy ?

 

Rice seems like a great idea .

 Now what happens when you run it thru the rice cooker ?

 

Eneloop .... will it blend ?

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9138
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Lightbringer wrote:

Is he one of those who used the cd-drive’s tray as a cupholder?

I’m telling ya, I see people do things where I’d swear I can hear the Loony Toonz theme playing in the background…

A CD-Drive tray as a cupholder…… Facepalm . Facepalm
My, my… Loony Toonz for sure!! Kinda scary thinking they have already, or may breed one day. Big Smile . Big Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Trippwire
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2017 - 07:58
Posts: 13

An update, it was at 1.3v when it got dried out. Charged up as normal, operates as normal. I guess it’s ok.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9138
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Thanks for the update Trippwire, that sounds good. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal