Need help identifying battery spacer...

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA
Need help identifying battery spacer...

I can’t remember where I got this. Might have been from Light Hound many years ago. Anyone know exactly what these are called and where they’re sold, if at all?

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1811
Location: Foley, MO

Do you have more than one? Might they stack to be used to make 18500 cells fit 18650 lights?

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Unfortunately, I have only one. And I don’t recall exactly where I got it… I think it was Lighthound (retailer closed), but I could be wrong. The center metal piece is slightly raised so stacking would be possible.

I have an old incandescent PILA GL-4 that was designed for PILA batteries, but can fit two 18650’s. Flat tops work but there’s enough slack to make the contact a little finicky. This spacer solves the problem perfectly.

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1393
Location: Germany

If you know someone with a lathe he can turn them for you. A brass rod an POM with a hole cut to coins.

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

joechina wrote:
If you know someone with a lathe he can turn them for you. A brass rod an POM with a hole cut to coins.

There is a guy over on CPF that makes pills and slugs, plus spacers. But from what I’d seen, none that looked like this. I am not so desperate that I’d want to spend like $10+ for just one of these. I have to imagine these exist somewhere, already made, given that this one exists. It’s just a matter of finding it!
HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 789
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas

Overready has spacers of a couple different diameters 16mm and 18mm with a couple different lengths. Kinda pricey but worth it if you need them. Only difference is they are black plastic and the center button or rod is aluminum I believe.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7116
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

If you don’t mind doing a bit of work yourself, you can make spacers from #4AWG copper wire and some plastic tubing. What I used is clear flexible PVC tubing from the plumbing section of Lowe’s. Get several sizes, and stack them to get the inside diameter just big enough to hold the wire tightly, and the outside diameter the right size for the battery tube you want to use the spacer in. You could also use plastic bushings, if you can find a size that works. A third possibility is to get a hole-saw that will drill out the right size “washer” from a sheet of plastic, and shove the #4AWG wire through the hole in the middle left by the arbor bit. Lowe’s sells sheet plastic too, and the hole-saws. Don’t have a Lowe’s nearby? Go to The Home Depot or Ace Hardware or True-Value Hardware, etc.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

HONDARIDER wrote:
Overready has spacers of a couple different diameters 16mm and 18mm with a couple different lengths. Kinda pricey but worth it if you need them. Only difference is they are black plastic and the center button or rod is aluminum I believe.

Thanks! I did find their page for Delrin Battery Spacers. They have them in 18mm diameter and various lengths: 5mm, 15mm, and 34mm. Unfortunately, the 5mm is out of stock.

DavidEF wrote:
If you don’t mind doing a bit of work yourself, you can make spacers from #4AWG copper wire and some plastic tubing. What I used is clear flexible PVC tubing from the plumbing section of Lowe’s. Get several sizes, and stack them to get the inside diameter just big enough to hold the wire tightly, and the outside diameter the right size for the battery tube you want to use the spacer in. You could also use plastic bushings, if you can find a size that works. A third possibility is to get a hole-saw that will drill out the right size “washer” from a sheet of plastic, and shove the #4AWG wire through the hole in the middle left by the arbor bit. Lowe’s sells sheet plastic too, and the hole-saws. Don’t have a Lowe’s nearby? Go to The Home Depot or Ace Hardware or True-Value Hardware, etc.

If I needed to make a bunch of these, I’d probably go ahead and do as you suggest. Either find some plastic bushings (I imagine some bushings used for plumbing could work) or cut plastic discs from sheet plastic. I’d probably be better off waiting until Oveready is back in stock with their 5mm spacers.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

Dunno if you’re still looking to “identify” them, but the dimensions are about perfect to be able to use unprotected flattops (~65mm long) in place of protected button-tops (~70mm long).

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

jf_smm
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2016 - 12:29
Posts: 480
Location: NorCal

Tried stacking a few little magnets yet?

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Lightbringer wrote:
Dunno if you’re still looking to “identify” them, but the dimensions are about perfect to be able to use unprotected flattops (~65mm long) in place of protected button-tops (~70mm long).
Seems that “battery spacer” is about the usual term. Is there a commercial solution for dynamically converting flat tops to button tops?
jf_smm wrote:
Tried stacking a few little magnets yet?

The trouble with little magnets by themselves is that they can become dislodged and short circuit. So, having them in a fixed position is essential, such as nestled inside a Delrin slug.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

xevious wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Dunno if you’re still looking to “identify” them, but the dimensions are about perfect to be able to use unprotected flattops (~65mm long) in place of protected button-tops (~70mm long).
Seems that “battery spacer” is about the usual term. Is there a commercial solution for dynamically converting flat tops to button tops?

Unno, I thought he meant “identify them” as in what their function, vs what they’re called. (18500 to 18650, FT to BT, etc.)

I’ve only seen those things that let you stack FTs, like Simon sells. Samesame like what’s pictured in the OP, but lots thinner.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1811
Location: Foley, MO
xevious wrote:
The trouble with little magnets by themselves is that they can become dislodged and short circuit. So, having them in a fixed position is essential, such as nestled inside a Delrin slug.

Yeah, I don’t like using magnets either. I got some 14250 cells that I don’t mind using magnets on in the charger but in a light? Nope. They move too much. I’d rather solder blob and rotary tool them off if I ever had to.

HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 789
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
xevious wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Dunno if you’re still looking to “identify” them, but the dimensions are about perfect to be able to use unprotected flattops (~65mm long) in place of protected button-tops (~70mm long).
Seems that “battery spacer” is about the usual term. Is there a commercial solution for dynamically converting flat tops to button tops?
jf_smm wrote:
Tried stacking a few little magnets yet?
The trouble with little magnets by themselves is that they can become dislodged and short circuit. So, having them in a fixed position is essential, such as nestled inside a Delrin slug.

If you have access to the proper tooling you could cut down the long spacers. You could make several out of a 65mm spacer. Just a thought.

jf_smm
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2016 - 12:29
Posts: 480
Location: NorCal

Understand your concern how about pairing good magnets with nylon washers? You wouldn’t have to get a perfect fit. The washer would prevent the magnets from wandering around if the light gets bounced around.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA

xevious wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
Overready has spacers of a couple different diameters 16mm and 18mm with a couple different lengths. Kinda pricey but worth it if you need them. Only difference is they are black plastic and the center button or rod is aluminum I believe.

Thanks! I did find their page for Delrin Battery Spacers. They have them in 18mm diameter and various lengths: 5mm, 15mm, and 34mm. Unfortunately, the 5mm is out of stock.

Nice find. I could use two of the 34mm ones to replace 3xC cells with one 18650, but at $18, ouch!
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

Take one of those foam tubes you stick under doors to stop drafts, and run heavy-gauge wire coaxially through the center. Great and cheap dummy cells…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 6989
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

How about like a nylon bushing ? or a roller for a curtain rod ?

 if this is to just gain height on an 18650 just do a solder blob and be done with it .

 After finally doing my first solder blob I realized how stupid I'd been for waiting so long ..it solved like a million stupid problems all in a matter of 11 seconds... 

 how about wood or .maybe a black rubber plug or thick washer .

 Go to the hardware store and ask .. They live for this stuff .

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA

Boaz wrote:

 if this is to just gain height on an 18650 just do a solder blob and be done with it .



Not sure about the OP, but for me it would be to convert a 3xC light into a single 18650 light, so I’d need something around 80-85mm long.

I’ve seen people make such fillers out of wood and metal rods, but I currently don’t have access to any tools to make one of these myself.

Lightbringer’s idea might be easily doable though.

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Pete7874 wrote:
xevious wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
Overready has spacers of a couple different diameters 16mm and 18mm with a couple different lengths. Kinda pricey but worth it if you need them. Only difference is they are black plastic and the center button or rod is aluminum I believe.

Thanks! I did find their page for Delrin Battery Spacers. They have them in 18mm diameter and various lengths: 5mm, 15mm, and 34mm. Unfortunately, the 5mm is out of stock.

Nice find. I could use two of the 34mm ones to replace 3xC cells with one 18650, but at $18, ouch!

Over on CPF, one of their reps is active and they did follow-up about the 5mm being back in stock sometime in mid to late April. Their prices are OK for the small spacers, but yeah… for that multi “C” cell adapter, it’s quite pricey. However, if you drain full batteries fairly frequently, it will pay off in the long run (recharging 18650 vs. tossing “C” cells).
xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 671
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Boaz wrote:

 if this is to just gain height on an 18650 just do a solder blob and be done with it . After finally doing my first solder blob I realized how stupid I'd been for waiting so long ..it solved like a million stupid problems all in a matter of 11 seconds... 

Thanks for the tip -- I may just do that for a flat top 18350 in a Jetbeam RRT-01 that requires protected cells. The contact point is quite small, so a standard spacer would generally not work.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

Pete7874 wrote:
Lightbringer’s idea might be easily doable though.

If it ain’t easy, I risk not ever getting it done. Sick

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA

Lightbringer wrote:
Take one of those foam tubes you stick under doors to stop drafts,

Is this what you’re referring to or something different?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-...

xxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/22/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 6

Pete7874 wrote:
Boaz wrote:

 if this is to just gain height on an 18650 just do a solder blob and be done with it .



Not sure about the OP, but for me it would be to convert a 3xC light into a single 18650 light, so I’d need something around 80-85mm long.

I’ve seen people make such fillers out of wood and metal rods, but I currently don’t have access to any tools to make one of these myself.

Lightbringer’s idea might be easily doable though.

I 3D print 18650 to 3C adapters:

If you want to make something from stuff at home depot, I would suggest using 3/4” PVC pipe for the tube and a 3” #10-24 round head brass screw for the contact. You will need to use something to cap off the PVC, PVC caps should work but you may need to sand them down to fit your light. Drill a hole in the center of the caps for the brass screw and cut the tube down so that the screw passes through the cap on one end by about 1/8”/3mm so that there is room for the nut and that it will by flush with the end of the screw when tightened – this will give you your spacer. Cut another piece of PVC a little shorter than your cell for a battery sleeve and it should work.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA

xxo wrote:
If you want to make something from stuff at home depot, I would suggest using 3/4” PVC pipe for the tube and a 3” #10-24 round head brass screw for the contact.

Thanks.

The only 3 inch screw I can find at HD is a 1/4in-20:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-x-3-in-Phillips-Slotted-R...

Also, will 3 inch be long enough? That’s only 76 mm.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc
Pete7874 wrote:
Is this what you’re referring to or something different?

Different. Literally, foam “tubes” to wedge under doors to stop drafts. “Solid” (as much as foam can be), no hole through the central axis or anything. Probably more likely to find something like that at a Target than a HD.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA
Lightbringer wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
Is this what you’re referring to or something different?

Different. Literally, foam “tubes” to wedge under doors to stop drafts. “Solid” (as much as foam can be), no hole through the central axis or anything. Probably more likely to find something like that at a Target than a HD.


This stuff?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-5-8-in-x-20-ft-Polyurethane-C...

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

A bit skinny, but might be able to work.

The stuff I remember came as loose “sticks” about a yard long, 3-4 of ‘em, just wrapped in a PE baggie. Kinda like pool-noodles, only scaled down.

Was over a year ago, don’t recall any brand name, don’t even recall where they were bought.

Goggled “foam stop draft under door”, almost instantly came up with

https://www.amazon.com/Evelots-Double-Window-Stopper-No-Inches-Adjustabl...

which are the critters. Snip off an end from one of the white foam inserts…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2557
Location: USA

Lightbringer wrote:
Goggled “foam stop draft under door”, almost instantly came up with

https://www.amazon.com/Evelots-Double-Window-Stopper-No-Inches-Adjustabl...

which are the critters. Snip off an end from one of the white foam inserts…


Thanks, except they are 2” in diameter.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8249
Location: nyc

Yeh, I just squished mine in. Fits D/32650s fine, but squished it to fit a C tube and act as a dummy cell.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

xxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/22/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 6

Pete7874 wrote:
xxo wrote:
If you want to make something from stuff at home depot, I would suggest using 3/4” PVC pipe for the tube and a 3” #10-24 round head brass screw for the contact.

Thanks.

The only 3 inch screw I can find at HD is a 1/4in-20:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-x-3-in-Phillips-Slotted-R...

Also, will 3 inch be long enough? That’s only 76 mm.

3” screws are long enough, you get a another 3+ mm with the head. I use the #10 screws because the heads are closer to the size of a button on a C or D cell, but a 1/4-20 screw should work provide that your light doesn’t have something for reverse polarity protection that gets in the way of a bigger button. For some reason HD no longer has them on their site but they do have the brass 3” #10-24’s in their stores, as least the one by me, as does Lowes.

BTW, I thought of another way to make 18650/3C adapter that doesn’t require any tools other than a pair of scissors.

Take the screw and put the nut on the end so that it’s flush using a drop of thread locker or superglue to keep it in place, then cut some news print from a penny saver of the like to the width between the screw head and the nut and wrap it tightly around the screw until it is about C cell diameter and secure it with some tape. It might take some trial and error to get the diameter right (don’t make it too tight that it might get stuck in your light). when you are done, this is your spacer.

To make the battery sleeve, you could cut some plastic from a 2 liter soda bottle or the like, cut to length a little shorter than a 18650 cell, loosely wrap it around your cell and again secure it with some tape. You don’t want a super tight fit either around the battery or inside the light, a relatively loose fit will work fine.

Kind of a crude way to make one, that probably won’t last forever, but it should work.

Pages