Sofirn SP70 BLF Edition Development Thread

153 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1466
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी
Sofirn SP70 BLF Edition Development Thread

Hello everyone,

 

Sofirn successfully launched their first big XHP70.2 flashlight with the SP70. If you want to post and discuss anything about the standard SP70, please have a look here:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/61428

 

Sofirn's SP70 is available to buy from AliExpress and Amazon:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Sofirn-SP70-Ultra-bright-26650-LED-Flashlight-High-Power-5500LM-Tactical-18650-Light-Cree-XHP70-2/2933049_32994552254.html

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Batteries-Searching/dp/B07Q2T6JHQ

https://www.amazon.de/Sofirn-Taschenlampe-XHP70-2-Helligkeitsstufe-Aktiv...

 

This thread is about a potential "BLF Edition" that could evolve from the SP70 design.

 

Most wanted ideas / suggestions for the "BLF Edition":

  • SMO reflector with same diameter as the original OP reflector (75mm inner diameter)
  • BeCu (beryllium copper) C17530 springs for extra low contact resistance (further details could be provided by BlueSwordM)
  • Better 21700 cell support (less compression or different spring design?)
  • High yield MOSFET/FET (Infineon) for better output
  • Ramping from OFF (0% - 100%)
  • Ultralow Moonlight
  • Retaining ring or screw holes to retain driver in cavity (no glue!)
  • Different tint options (less cold, e.g. 3D 4.885K?)
  • Top bin XHP70.2 (P2 or better)
  • Anti-reflex coated glass lens
  • Stainless steel bezel
  • Optional dedomed / sliced 'n diced XHP70.2
  • Improved UI (e.g. Andúril firmware adapted to e-switch + tailswitch usage, i.e. momentary + mode memory)

[to be continued]

 

Development progress:

General development between BLF and Sofirn will be kindly supported by JasonWW (and the entire BLF community). Smile

04/28/2019

  • JasonWW was able to compare the prototype SMO reflector with the original OP reflector. First results revealed that output does not differ much between both reflector designs. There might be room for improvement by enlarging the SMO reflector to 75mm and by changing its geometrics (see here).

04/29/2019

  • New thread created to separate SP70 BLF edition from SP70 standard edition.
  • Lexel might be able to supply a (more effective) alternative driver (see here)

[to be continued]

 

Cheers,

Thomas

Edited by: Lux-Perpetua on 05/02/2019 - 14:10
Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1466
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

[reserved for review purposes]

Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 161
Location: Canada

What about a triple xhp70.2 set up.
This concept was discussed in the original development thread.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/61428?page=6 post 196.

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 564
Location: Ohio, United States

Nooner wrote:
What about a triple xhp70.2 set up. This concept was discussed in the original development thread. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/61428?page=6 post 196.

I would personally not be interested in that. My impression of the goal for the SP70 was to get an XHP70.2 in a big reflector, plunger light. And to do it BLF-style. I also feel like the triple-XHP70.2 game is pretty well done already by some Haikelite products, even considering the different form factor. 

EDC Rotation: ZL SC62 | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V | RRT-01 
EagTac D25C Ti | DQG Slim AA Ti | UF-T1 by CRX | Olight S1 | Klarus Mini One Ti
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Jaxman Z1 CULNM1.TG | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special
In-progress: Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2 
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 32 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5194
Location: Germany

I have likely a driver design that already fits or make one, they can contact me on Skype or here
live:s.vendel_3

Keep it single XHP70.2 sliced dome option with SMO

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1466
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

That's good news, Lexel. Thank you. What kind of driver design will you be able to provide? FET or Buck (for a more regulated but slightly less maximum performance)? Post #3 has been updated accordingly.

I also agree that a single XHP70.2 version is best as a triple LED design would lead us too far away from the main concept of Sofirn's SP70 including heat sink and driver design. A triple XHP70.2 light might be something for a separate Sofirn light. HaikeLite already fills this gap quite successfully with their MT09R and MT03. And then there's Lumintop's GT4 project ongoing, another great BLF project run by Texas_Ace.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2355
Location: US

If they upgrade the springs they will probably want to commit to 2× 26650 or 2× 21700, but not both. They can shorten the light if they choose 26650 or make it slimmer if they choose 21700 and springs will have more optimal contact.

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 578
Nooner wrote:
What about a triple xhp70.2 set up. This concept was discussed in the original development thread. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/61428?page=6 post 196.

Perhaps not for this particular light, but just to keep the idea alive:

I would love to see a TRIPLE TRIPLE… 3× 50.2, 3× 26650, buck driver.

EDIT for clarity: 3S 26650 cells powering 3P 6V LEDs using a buck driver. Battery tube would be extended by 65mm, new triple reflector in head.

Sorry for derailing… I realize that this is a substantially different light, but t was discussed in the original development thread.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 578

For this SP70 BLF Edition, can we have a 80 CRI led option?

These are available at Arrow:

XHP70B-00-0000- 0D0HM440H
XHP70B-00-0000- 0D0HM440G

Unloco
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 01/27/2018 - 16:17
Posts: 221
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Most wanted ideas / suggestions for the BLF Edition



  • SMO reflector with same diameter as the original OP reflector (75mm inner diameter)

  • BeCu (beryllium copper) C17530 springs for extra low contact resistance (further details could be provided by BlueSwordM)

  • Better 21700 cell support (less compression or different spring design?)

  • High yield MOSFET/FET (Infineon) for better output

  • Ramping from OFF (0% – 100%)

  • Ultralow Moonlight

  • Retaining ring or screw holes to retain driver in cavity (no glue!)

  • Different tint options (less cold, e.g. 3D 4.885K?)

  • Top bin XHP70.2 (P2 or better)

  • Anti-reflex coated glass lens

  • Optional dedomed / sliced ‘n diced XHP70.2

  • Improved UI (e.g. Andúril firmware adapted to e-switch + tailswitch usage, i.e. momentary + mode memory)


[to be continued]

That is fine for me.
The only thing I would add would be a SS bezel.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2355
Location: US

Buck driver doesn’t make sense with 2S battery config and 3x LEDs. It’s too expensive (when done right) and too low current. Even ~9A buck would be only 3A per LED. If you had >12V (4S) input you could work with lower currents and still get high output.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1466
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Agreed. I don't think that 4x 26350 (=4S) will be a great idea for a 12V version. These cells will not deliver enough current and capacity, I'm afraid. And another 2x26650 tube extension would make the SP70 too long.

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 578
contactcr wrote:
Buck driver doesn’t make sense with 2S battery config and 3x LEDs. It’s too expensive (when done right) and too low current. Even ~9A buck would be only 3A per LED. If you had >12V (4S) input you could work with lower currents and still get high output.

I was thinking 3S driving 3× 6V LEDs in parallel… so extend the battery tube by 65mm.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

contactcr wrote:
If they upgrade the springs they will probably want to commit to 2× 26650 or 2× 21700, but not both. They can shorten the light if they choose 26650 or make it slimmer if they choose 21700 and springs will have more optimal contact.

Sofirn already committed to 26650/18650.

Also, we don’t know if a better FET is needed, we are just guessing it does.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2355
Location: US

I guess my point was if they stick with 26650 they should shorten the battery tube slightly so they don’t have to use super long springs. The BeCu do not have as good mechanical properties and work better when they are shorter anyways.

Satan@103TFS
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 51 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 531

What about throw version with XHP35 HI and new re design SMO reflector for 500Kcd+ ?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

Satan@103TFS wrote:
What about throw version with XHP35 HI and new re design SMO reflector for 500Kcd+ ?

Sofirn may build a new light for that.
Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1042
Location: NE ATL

Lexel wrote:
I have likely a driver design that already fits or make one, they can contact me on Skype or here
live:s.vendel_3

Keep it single XHP70.2 sliced dome option with SMO

A driver from Lexel would be really awesome!

  • Redesign reflector
  • Narsil/Anduril UI
  • Single XHP50.2
  • 26650 or 21700 (whichever maximizes output)
  • Keep the lighted side switch
Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 564
Location: Ohio, United States

Unloco wrote:
That is fine for me. The only thing I would add would be a SS bezel.

...yeah. SS bezel would be cool. 

Yourrid wrote:
A driver from Lexel would be really awesome! * Redesign reflector * Narsil/Anduril UI * Single XHP50.2 * 26650 or 21700 (whichever maximizes output) * Keep the lighted side switch

Agreed. If they mess up the UI, that's where my driver will likely come from anyway.

Edit: Single XHP70.2, I'm assuming that was a typo/mistake

EDC Rotation: ZL SC62 | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V | RRT-01 
EagTac D25C Ti | DQG Slim AA Ti | UF-T1 by CRX | Olight S1 | Klarus Mini One Ti
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Jaxman Z1 CULNM1.TG | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special
In-progress: Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2 
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

Yourrid wrote:
Lexel wrote:
I have likely a driver design that already fits or make one, they can contact me on Skype or here
live:s.vendel_3

Keep it single XHP70.2 sliced dome option with SMO

A driver from Lexel would be really awesome!

  • Redesign reflector
  • Narsil/Anduril UI
  • Single XHP50.2
  • 26650 or 21700 (whichever maximizes output)
  • Keep the lighted side switch

An XHP50.2 would burn up. You would need a current limiting driver to use that.
4492011
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 19:39
Posts: 135
Location: USA Michigan

Interested, in max throw with a fair amount of lumins so not a flat white, don’t really like the throw from L6 and 70.2 looking at most of the throwers they are built around XHP 35 however they decide to get there.

4492011
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 19:39
Posts: 135
Location: USA Michigan

I like the idea of being able to use 21700 or 26650

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

4492011 wrote:
I like the idea of being able to use 21700 or 26650

It is hard to design a battery tube and springs that can accommodate the 10mm difference in battery length. In order to get the longer ones to fit, the shorter ones become very susceptible to bump disconnecting. The existing battery tube would probably work better with 21700 (unprotected only) if you removed the inner springs and did not use bypasses. This has the side effect of increasing resistance, but would allow for both batteries. So there are always tradeoffs.
Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1042
Location: NE ATL

JasonWW wrote:
Yourrid wrote:
Lexel wrote:
I have likely a driver design that already fits or make one, they can contact me on Skype or here
live:s.vendel_3

Keep it single XHP70.2 sliced dome option with SMO

A driver from Lexel would be really awesome!

  • Redesign reflector
  • Narsil/Anduril UI
  • Single XHP50.2
  • 26650 or 21700 (whichever maximizes output)
  • Keep the lighted side switch

An XHP50.2 would burn up. You would need a current limiting driver to use that.

Oops, my bad. Definitely meant the XHP70.2

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1206
Location: France

JasonWW wrote:
4492011 wrote:
I like the idea of being able to use 21700 or 26650

It is hard to design a battery tube and springs that can accommodate the 10mm difference in battery length.

It’s not a problem if they add with the traditional accessories (replacement o-rings, cheap lanyard, etc) a 26100 spacer looking like this to put between the 2 batteries.


Some against this idea will say that you can loose it and I will respond that it is up to anyone to be careful with his stuff. Evil

Since it is more a general purpose flashlight (with big hotspot and good spill) and a 70.2 CRI 80 was suggested, why stop here and not go up to CRI 90, 4000°K or 3500°K or 3000°K for people to test the advantage of much lesser back scattered light ?
It doesn’t need complicated marketing to show and explain its benefit instead to praise the same old song of the maximum output.

HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 882
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas

Love the idea of a 4000K or lower along with SMO reflector and possible ramping. Ramping is not a must but would be a great upgrade. I would buy one or two. Would really like to have the driver once developed with ramping to put in my other SP70’s.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20060
Location: Heart of Texas

Lux-Perpetua, I notice that you like to use a decimal point in the tint descriptor… the problem with this is that the K is not for thousands but for Kelvin, so your 4.885K actually would mean less than 5 Kelvin and THAT would be atrocious! 4885K is an actual temperature of light that we would like to see, based on the Kelvin temperature scale. Wink

Thank you, that little detail was bugging me. Silly

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15457
Location: Amsterdam

@Lux-perpetua:

I like to follow this thread but you make it difficult by keeping editing the second and third post. Clicking the “new replies” always brings me to the edited 2nd and 3rd post, and after that I have to search manually for the first new posts in the thread.

Editing the original post does not affect “new replies”, moving the content of #2 and #3 to the OP makes it easier, clicking on the “new replies” then actually gets you to the new replies.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20060
Location: Heart of Texas

And why wouldn’t a 3V 50.2 work with a boost driver? Smaller die surface area, tighter hot spot, still in the 4000+ lumens range. That could be quite viable….

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

HONDARIDER wrote:
Love the idea of a 4000K or lower along with SMO reflector and possible ramping. Ramping is not a must but would be a great upgrade. I would buy one or two. Would really like to have the driver once developed with ramping to put in my other SP70’s.

Ramping is already designed in on the stock driver.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11136
Location: Houston Texas

DB Custom wrote:
And why wouldn’t a 3V 50.2 work with a boost driver?

I don’t see anyone saying that it wouldn’t work. ???

Of course, we don’t have any good boost drivers using an E-switch and running RampingIOS, NarsilM or Anduril yet. Maybe in the future we will.

Pages