Two cheap flashlights that are a great buy

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
Two cheap flashlights that are a great buy

Hello
Newbie here
I am not a flashlight collector, most of what I have are cheap Chinese 18650 lights.
I just bought a couple of lights I want to mention, because they are awesome for the money

1. Chaselight XHP-50 takes one 26650.
Comes with the battery, USB internal charging as well.
VERY bright light, with a strong spot. More of a thrower. It steps down within about three minutes.
But when I bought it Monday it was $16.99 (went up a dollar).
This has to be the bargain of the year. $17 for a very high power flashlight with a battery, price is shipped from Amazon. I ordered two more, great to just throw in the car and keep around the house for power outage use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZVV7KX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

2. POCKETMAN (!) generic light, no logo or anything on it. XHP-70 and takes 2× 26650 (not included).
This is the brightest LED light I have ever seen. It has a funky zoom (screws in and out) and a standard clicky on the tail. BUT, the high mode is HIGH. It is brighter than the high mode on the ROFIS MR-70. And just about the same brightness as the Turbo mode on the ROFIS.
HOWEVER, it does not appear to have a step down. I ran it about 30 minutes on high. It got hot but never dimmed. So this is a cheap high power light that stays on high as far as I can tell.
There are NO specs listed, no idea what the true output is and the run time is unknown. I doubt it has any sort of protection circuit, I assume that protected or IMR batteries are a must.
But for the money, this is an amazingly bright light!

3. Don’t have this one yet, but the same as #1 but 2 × 26650 (included). Comes with two batteries and charger. According to one review it also does RAMPING!
Not bad at all for $25.99
Again, I will not receive this until Friday, but if the quality is the same as #1 it is a home run. And if not at least I get two new batteries!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVBV7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Relampago
Relampago's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 11:44
Posts: 517

Nice, thanks for the recommends

“Electricity is really just organized lightning”
― George Carlin

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

When throwing, is number 1 or 2 better?

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
When throwing, is number 1 or 2 better?

For a thrower you want this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVBV7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

I think this is the one I posted a beam shot. Nice focused pure white beam. Very good for the money

amishbill
amishbill's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 05/01/2019 - 10:03
Posts: 200
Location: GA

I’m a little curious about #3. Please update us when it shows up.

neo71665
neo71665's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2016 - 10:53
Posts: 164
Location: Arkansas

Be careful with included batteries, most of the time they are junk. The included chargers are always junk.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
amishbill wrote:
I’m a little curious about #3. Please update us when it shows up.

I have had three of them for over a month!
They do ramp. Not as slick or fast as an FW3, but they do work.
I tested the included batteries, they are nearly 4000 Mah and run the light for a long time. I ran it 45 minutes on the highest setting before it ramped down, and they do NOT get hot.
So it is a good general use light. It has a focused pure white beam, has a pretty decent throw.
No memory, when you turn it off it always turns on at the brightest level.
Would be good for something like a security patrol, you can light up nicely and it runs a long time. And heavy and long enough to use defensively if needed (probably break the light though).
I like it, for general use it is way better than the L6 with the smo reflector, because it is much lighter and does not get hot.
Again, it is cheap and you can get it in one or two days from Amazon.
Beyond that, it is not on a par with many of the lights mentioned on this forum. But it is cheap and works well. And it does throw a nice amount of light, way superior to all those T6 zoomies you see around.

Alen
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 04/03/2012 - 08:26
Posts: 299
Location: Italy

This “P70 XHP50’‘ light cost 13 usd

I would see diassembled

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York

Since I wrote that I have bought many brighter lights. It still does well for a zoomie.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area
scosgt wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
When throwing, is number 1 or 2 better?

For a thrower you want this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVBV7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

I think this is the one I posted a beam shot. Nice focused pure white beam. Very good for the money


Just got mine and played a little with it. This thing is not what I expected at all, and that’s not in a bad way. The beam has good spill, and good throw, with an outside spill ring that’s sort of bright. The housing itself is massive and actually quite decent looking and of good quality. It’s no exotic nor high tech, but it “checks all other boxes”. I do notice the button turns red on high but green on low. Batteries are full according to its own charger. I didn’t try my xtar charger yet. It also has a port for charging but didn’t come with any charger, which is interesting. I guess this is what a product would be if someone knew how how make a light but didn’t have a full team or time to refine it. It definitely scores a B to B+. And obviously if it scored higher it would’ve cost more. Yep a “hidden” gem in a massive flooded market.

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
scosgt wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
When throwing, is number 1 or 2 better?

For a thrower you want this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVBV7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

I think this is the one I posted a beam shot. Nice focused pure white beam. Very good for the money


Just got mine and played a little with it. This thing is not what I expected at all, and that’s not in a bad way. The beam has good spill, and good throw, with an outside spill ring that’s sort of bright. The housing itself is massive and actually quite decent looking and of good quality. It’s no exotic nor high tech, but it “checks all other boxes”. I do notice the button turns red on high but green on low. Batteries are full according to its own charger. I didn’t try my xtar charger yet. It also has a port for charging but didn’t come with any charger, which is interesting. I guess this is what a product would be if someone knew how how make a light but didn’t have a full team or time to refine it. It definitely scores a B to B+. And obviously if it scored higher it would’ve cost more. Yep a “hidden” gem in a massive flooded market.

For another $5 or so they sell the same thing with a charger. BUT I have been warned against charging batteries in series so probably better off.
I tested the batteries they show close to 4000 Mah, so not bad.
The switch is defective. It should show green, I have a one cell that does that.
But in the end, so what. Light works just fine, the green switch is just a bonus.
Of course, you can return it to Amazon and have it replaced.
I actually like this light. I find the beam very attractive, pure white, not a hint of blue.
and the narrow beam gives a good focus, the spill is not distracting when you are trying to look at something.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York

If you want to try, the charger is 8.4 volts and it is a common adapta plug. Center positive.
The company will send you a charger if you contact them on Amazon.
I tried a 9V universal adapter, and it showed charging. But I did not want to push my luck with extra voltage, so I just did it as a test and stopped.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
scosgt wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
When throwing, is number 1 or 2 better?

For a thrower you want this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVBV7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

I think this is the one I posted a beam shot. Nice focused pure white beam. Very good for the money


Just got mine and played a little with it. This thing is not what I expected at all, and that’s not in a bad way. The beam has good spill, and good throw, with an outside spill ring that’s sort of bright. The housing itself is massive and actually quite decent looking and of good quality. It’s no exotic nor high tech, but it “checks all other boxes”. I do notice the button turns red on high but green on low. Batteries are full according to its own charger. I didn’t try my xtar charger yet. It also has a port for charging but didn’t come with any charger, which is interesting. I guess this is what a product would be if someone knew how how make a light but didn’t have a full team or time to refine it. It definitely scores a B to B+. And obviously if it scored higher it would’ve cost more. Yep a “hidden” gem in a massive flooded market.

Wait, there is no high or low, it ramps!

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

The spill is large, it is arguably useful for everything closer. And the switch is doing green sometimes, I feel it’s either the battery or the voltage sensor that’s bad and confusing the switch to think it’s low on battery. No need to try return, I have no confidence this is something that is reliable or bothered by the manufacturer. The packaging tells me that they want to sell this quick and in volume, and that’s just fine by me at this price point with what I’ve got.

Perhaps China manufactures really have some magic and we don’t even know our buying power

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

No, mine does high, low, or ramping by holding the button. It goes only one direction until the end with some quick flashes indicating the end. Then if you let go and hold again it will ramp opposite direction. Any time before end is reached if you let go, and start again you continue the same direction.

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
No, mine does high, low, or ramping by holding the button. It goes only one direction until the end with some quick flashes indicating the end. Then if you let go and hold again it will ramp opposite direction. Any time before end is reached if you let go, and start again you continue the same direction.

Correct, but there is not steps for high and low, it just ramps.
Again, I have one of theirs with the same switch behavior, it does not affect the operation of the light at all.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

Maybe the firmware got updated, it does hi and lo for me for sure. Does yours also have a charge port in the body? I know they sell another with charger I wonder if they consolidated 2 models into one and only give charger for the pricy one and same light but no charger for the cheaper version

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
Maybe the firmware got updated, it does hi and lo for me for sure. Does yours also have a charge port in the body? I know they sell another with charger I wonder if they consolidated 2 models into one and only give charger for the pricy one and same light but no charger for the cheaper version

No. That is a defect. I have three, one of them has that issue. However, it you leave it on any level including start up for around 10 seconds, one click shuts it off.
Personally I can live with it.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York

BTW the one with the charger comes with a battery pack, rather than individual batteries, but same exact light.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

I don’t think you can call that a defect. Smile hi/lo/off. Maybe the ones that can’t do that is the defect Big Smile

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 75
Location: CA Bay Area

Scosgt, Ok the battery was low, tested as ~3.8. After I charged it full no longer turns button red. Also, the stepping I’ve noticed that you can only step if you immediately press the button after on (hi), if you leave it on hi for a bit then press again, it will turn the light off. I guess that’s the ui. So maybe that’s why you thought it doesn’t step?

FW3A
Sofirn C8T
Emissar D4 -XP-L Hi V2 5D Grey
Convoy S2+ - XP-L Hi V2-1A Orange
Sipik
Solarforce L2 - Blacklight or XP G2 drop in
-------------------------------------
Several laser pointers
————————————
Several pocket knifes

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 348
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
Scosgt, Ok the battery was low, tested as ~3.8. After I charged it full no longer turns button red. Also, the stepping I’ve noticed that you can only step if you immediately press the button after on (hi), if you leave it on hi for a bit then press again, it will turn the light off. I guess that’s the ui. So maybe that’s why you thought it doesn’t step?

One of mine does, the other two do not.
Not sure this was the intent, but matter, it just works.
Does not get any press here, but it’s a pretty handy light