[♛ FreemeGB] ASTROLUX FT03S SBT90.2 4500lm 1428m 26650/ 21700/ 18650 Flashlight

1213 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chinaheart
Chinaheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2019 - 22:56
Posts: 213
Location: Philippines

interested

 

FlashIight
FlashIight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/24/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 174
Location: Ontario, Canada

Interested!

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 384

hasddie293 wrote:
Aaah…before I forget, this sbt 90.2 beast only consume high drain battery rate 20amp rather than mid drain battery. You tell me, where are the high drain battery you’ll get from?? Its in “21700” category only, e.g 40T, p42a, vtc6,.

So, my point is that…why would we build a “26650” host FT03 where I think 26650 is still in the mid drain category? Even 21700, single of it gonna drain like crazy? I thought is that, we need a specialize high drain battery host just about enough amp for the sbt 90.2 to function properly.

So,
● single 21700 high drain cell, enough power(or not) but short of capacity(it will short live boring)

● single 26650, short of amp but longer capacity(less lumen than advertised)

Option(probably) ● triple(or quad?) cell host design not sure specific 21700 or 18650, ofcourse in parallel connection. With this, gonna give the sbt90.2 suitable amp draw.

So what do guy think? Take a look deep at the Lux perpetua project and I must been thinking, he has probably more true about sbt 90.2. Here link

Wouldn’t a 26650 high output Golisi do just fine?

mikeyx
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 05/30/2014 - 21:18
Posts: 339
Location: Uppuqui-ipis-ing

Interested.

Thanks,
Mike

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 877
Location: United Kingdom

You can use a 21700 in this light. I would use a 2mm copper ring just to be safe though.

Edit: just tried one ring..it works but 2mm is a bit much for this light. Maybe 1mm will be better.

Annfirst
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/30/2019 - 11:04
Posts: 23
Location: thailand

Inteeested

piotrek966
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/04/2015 - 09:56
Posts: 39
Location: Poland

Interseted

takumi86
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/23/2018 - 02:41
Posts: 33
Location: North America

interested as well!

Kennyboy
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/01/2019 - 05:57
Posts: 39
Location: Australia

Interested depending on price

kether
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 07/01/2019 - 02:13
Posts: 17

interested

kether

TheBigLEDowski
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/02/2018 - 12:40
Posts: 29

Interested.

Cloud
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 16:24
Posts: 313
Location: NY , USA

May I ask a stupid question: it probably is very stupid cuz if it wasn’t someone would have asked it already. I am sure this new ft03 will be an amazing throwy light and I will buy it gladly but it will still have a huge ft03 head / large size which will be its main drawback. Why not put the SBT90.2 emitter into a thrunite catapult v6 instead. As is it out throws ft03, so I presume with a new emitter, same reflector, it will outgrow the new fr03 too . Yes I get it it will heat up faster due to smaller head/mass but I am sure many will agree to deal with shorter turbo times in exchange for an attractive small size and a super long throw. Or a v6 clone from mhvast instead? (forgot the model name) .

Is the answer the cost of v6? Or some legal difficulties, thrunite not agreeing to sell their modified lights?

Or is it that after we all buy the new modified ft03, next week, the modified catapult 6 group buy will be announced so they we will be spending more of our money on the same ( fubclionally) thing? I honestly and sincerely asking as I don’t know the answer. Can someone shed light? ( pun intended)
Thanks

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6119
Location: Ślōnsk

No, Catapult V6 is not throwier than FT03.
Catapult throws 151-195 kcd depending on who measured it while FT03 does 190-263 kcd.

And Catapult comes stock with much throwier LED. SST-40 is awesome for throwers when it’s dedomed – but in FT03 it’s not. So FT03 with mediocre LED outperforms Catapult with XHP35 – which is very good.

Overall FT03 is going to throw significantly farther than Catapult V6 with any LED – precisely because it’s larger.

Cloud
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 16:24
Posts: 313
Location: NY , USA

Agro wrote:
No, Catapult V6 is not throwier than FT03.
Catapult throws 151-195 kcd depending on who measured it while FT03 does 190-263 kcd.

And Catapult comes stock with much throwier LED. SST-40 is awesome for throwers when it’s dedomed – but in FT03 it’s not. So FT03 with mediocre LED outperforms Catapult with XHP35 – which is very good.

Overall FT03 is going to throw significantly farther than Catapult V6 with any LED – precisely because it’s larger.


I expected ft03 to be throwier than catapult before I bought them both but the advertized throw numbers say otherwise, even though I didn’t measure the candela myself, I guess I can now that I have a lux meter. But.. when I compared in the field , catapult, granted having a much smaller hot spot seemed to illuminate objects better. Of course with a larger hot spot and corona , the eye/ brain gets easier time making out that the objects are and the end result is often times more favorable with the ft03, but the actual illuminated spot appeared brighter with catapult. It’s hard to believe the delta you are quoting betweeen the two, but by virtue of being a human being, I could, of course, be wrong
Cloud
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 16:24
Posts: 313
Location: NY , USA

Ok let’s say even if it turns catapult is slightly less bright ( i stilll can’t imagine it being much dimmer than ft03), it make sense to create a much smaller light with a slight shortcoming in the throwiness. At this point I still believe the catapult somehow throws father but inside the very small hotspot though . Did you compare same tints?

Flying Luminosity
Flying Luminosity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/12/2017 - 13:33
Posts: 628
Location: UK

Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 877
Location: United Kingdom

Flying Luminosity wrote:
Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?

According to what we’ve seen in the NI40 it should have a similar sized or maybe a tiny bit bigger hotspot that the SST40. The spill will of course be brighter as well.
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6119
Location: Ślōnsk

Flying Luminosity wrote:
Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?

In theory:
Spill angle is pretty much determined by the same regardless of emitter.
Spill brightness is proportional to light output, depends a bit on LED emission pattern but both LEDs have it similar.
Spot size is proportional to apparent die size. SST-40 has a dome which pretty much doubles its apparent die size. So both LEDs shoud produce similarly sized spots…but SST-90 will be much brighter. Smile

BTW…How does FT-03 spill angle compare to BLF GT Mini?
I care about reflector lights that are not too deep, so when I walk and have the spot directed forward the spill illuminates the road just before my feet.

Flying Luminosity
Flying Luminosity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/12/2017 - 13:33
Posts: 628
Location: UK
Agro wrote:
Flying Luminosity wrote:
Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?
In theory: Spill angle is pretty much determined by the same regardless of emitter. Spill brightness is proportional to light output, depends a bit on LED emission pattern but both LEDs have it similar. Spot size is proportional to apparent die size. SST-40 has a dome which pretty much doubles its apparent die size. So both LEDs shoud produce similarly sized spots…but SST-90 will be much brighter. Smile

Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping for a wider spill in addition to the increased brightness, but it seems that something like a fused quad reflector would probably provide the best combination of throw and spill for my preferences (but not necessarily for my wallet!).

Cloud
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 16:24
Posts: 313
Location: NY , USA

Agro wrote:
Flying Luminosity wrote:
Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?

In theory:
Spill angle is pretty much determined by the same regardless of emitter.
Spill brightness is proportional to light output, depends a bit on LED emission pattern but both LEDs have it similar.
Spot size is proportional to apparent die size. SST-40 has a dome which pretty much doubles its apparent die size. So both LEDs shoud produce similarly sized spots…but SST-90 will be much brighter. Smile

BTW…How does FT-03 spill angle compare to BLF GT Mini?
I care about reflector lights that are not too deep, so when I walk and have the spot directed forward the spill illuminates the road just before my feet.

Forgive my ignorance, I sincerely believed that the size of the hot spot is controlled not only by the die or dome size as much as by the shape of the reflector? What part does reflector play in th shape/size of the thrower’s hot spot then?. I though with the right reflector a light can have a much wider hot spot at a certain distance ,(with a smaller emitter )than another light with a much bigger emitter but a differently shaped reflector ( at same distance)? Am I wrong?

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 877
Location: United Kingdom

Everyone’s measurements are different but let’s say the Thrunite is doing 170kcd. If the SBT90.2 is pushed hard enough it could probably do 40% more but that’s still only 238kcd. The FT03 pushed to the same levels should do 450+ with performance similar to the TN40. How I came up with these numbers is I looked the K75 SBT90.2 which has a smaller head than the GT/MF04 (XHP35 HI) and still beats them in intensity by 30-40%. The Acebeam T27 which has the same emmiter (XHP35 HI) as the Thrunite V6 does 340kcd so it should do 476 kcd (40% more) with the SBT90.2. THE FT03s head is the same size as the T27 so the performance should be pretty close. The Thrunite could be better with a deeper reflector but it still wouldn’t be able to match the FT03. I do get what you’re saying though about making a more compact light. I think a shorter version of the NI40 with a side switch would make a lot of sense.

Cloud
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 16:24
Posts: 313
Location: NY , USA

Th558 wrote:
Everyone’s measurements are different but let’s say the Thrunite is doing 170kcd. If the SBT90.2 is pushed hard enough it could probably do 40% more but that’s still only 238kcd. The FT03 pushed to the same levels should do 450+ with performance similar to the TN40. How I came up with these numbers is I looked the K75 SBT90.2 which has a smaller head than the GT/MF04 (XHP35 HI) and still beats them in intensity by 30-40%. The Acebeam T27 which has the same emmiter (XHP35 HI) as the Thrunite V6 does 340kcd so it should do 476 kcd (40% more) with the SBT90.2. THE FT03s head is the same size as the T27 so the performance should be pretty close. The Thrunite could be better with a deeper reflector but it still wouldn’t be able to match the FT03. I do get what you’re saying though about making a more compact light. I think a shorter version of the NI40 with a side switch would make a lot of sense.

Oh yes, I’d give everything for a side switch…..
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6119
Location: Ślōnsk

Cloud wrote:
Agro wrote:
Flying Luminosity wrote:
Does the large die area mean that the light will have a decent amount of spill, or are all those lumens concentrated in the hotspot?

In theory:
Spill angle is pretty much determined by the same regardless of emitter.
Spill brightness is proportional to light output, depends a bit on LED emission pattern but both LEDs have it similar.
Spot size is proportional to apparent die size. SST-40 has a dome which pretty much doubles its apparent die size. So both LEDs shoud produce similarly sized spots…but SST-90 will be much brighter. Smile

BTW…How does FT-03 spill angle compare to BLF GT Mini?
I care about reflector lights that are not too deep, so when I walk and have the spot directed forward the spill illuminates the road just before my feet.

Forgive my ignorance, I sincerely believed that the size of the hot spot is controlled not only by the die or dome size as much as by the shape of the reflector? What part does reflector play in th shape/size of the thrower’s hot spot then?. I though with the right reflector a light can have a much wider hot spot at a certain distance ,(with a smaller emitter )than another light with a much bigger emitter but a differently shaped reflector ( at same distance)? Am I wrong?


I focused on the effect of the LED rather than all variables. Yes, reflector proportions and dimensions are just as important as LED when it comes to spot size.
A very good writeup is here:
https://www.slideshare.net/canfang/led-optics-in-flashlight

Long story short:
Nearly all reflectors are sections of a parabola. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Or the same in other words – deeper or shallower.
Hotspot intensity is proportional to reflector area.
Reflector shape being equal, spot diameter is proportional to reflector diameter.
Deeper reflector of the same diameter has smaller hole in the middle – so it throws better, but only slightly.
It also puts more lumens to a beam (not very much typically), but makes it less defined – the spot is smaller but it comes with a larger corona.

gerasalex
gerasalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/23/2017 - 16:38
Posts: 98
Cloud][quote=Th558 wrote:
I think a shorter version of the NI40 with a side switch would make a lot of sense.

..and it would be nice to have a smoother switching of brightness modes, 6 modes + turbo

"... God is light, and in him is no darkness at all..." 1 John 1:5 (KJV)

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 877
Location: United Kingdom

Agro wrote:

Deeper reflector of the same diameter has smaller hole in the middle – so it throws better, but only slightly.
It also puts more lumens to a beam (not very much typically), but makes it less defined – the spot is smaller but it comes with a larger corona.

Didn’t know that. Now it makes sense to me that my L16 and FT03 have a noticeable corona whereas the GT mini doesn’t.
Nicko69
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 21:29
Posts: 65
Location: Australia

Interested.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 384

Cloud wrote:
May I ask a stupid question: it probably is very stupid cuz if it wasn’t someone would have asked it already. I am sure this new ft03 will be an amazing throwy light and I will buy it gladly but it will still have a huge ft03 head / large size which will be its main drawback. Why not put the SBT90.2 emitter into a thrunite catapult v6 instead. As is it out throws ft03, so I presume with a new emitter, same reflector, it will outgrow the new fr03 too . Yes I get it it will heat up faster due to smaller head/mass but I am sure many will agree to deal with shorter turbo times in exchange for an attractive small size and a super long throw. Or a v6 clone from mhvast instead? (forgot the model name) .

Is the answer the cost of v6? Or some legal difficulties, thrunite not agreeing to sell their modified lights?

Or is it that after we all buy the new modified ft03, next week, the modified catapult 6 group buy will be announced so they we will be spending more of our money on the same ( fubclionally) thing? I honestly and sincerely asking as I don’t know the answer. Can someone shed light? ( pun intended)
Thanks

The large head is needed for two reasons.
1. Larger deeper reflector=more throw.
2. Larger head will handle the heat better.

The SBT-90 performs best in a large light.

jaynick
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2012 - 18:18
Posts: 169
Location: United States

Im interested

LTC
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2019 - 04:34
Posts: 189
Location: Little Red Dot

Th558 wrote:
You can use a 21700 in this light. I would use a 2mm copper ring just to be safe though.

Edit: just tried one ring..it works but 2mm is a bit much for this light. Maybe 1mm will be better.

How much estimate allowance for the spring when using a 21700? Fully compressed? What will be the cons for a fully compressed spring? Adding much more resistance and create more heat and having a chance that the spring will collapse?

I have some P42A that I have no confident or not comfortable using them on the FT03.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2693
Location: Sweden

is nobody worried this host is a bit too weak for this kind of emitter and lumens on highest ??

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Pages