Charger recommendation for my partner

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
memske
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 11/11/2015 - 00:05
Posts: 7
Location: New Zealand
Charger recommendation for my partner

Looking to get my partner a flashlight + charger/batteries for her birthday as she is always envious of mine.

I have a BLF A6 + VC2 Plus.

Was looking at getting her just something like the Convoy S2 or something similar. Is there any current charger that is the go to for NZ/AU – USB or NZ/AU Plug/V.

Thanks in advance!

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 760
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Sounds like a good setup that you already have in mind. I like the XTAR USB chargers. I have an MC1 in every car and backpack. The S2 is a can’t-go-wrong move, especially if your partner likes colorful things! I’m especially fond of the violet and cyan S2+.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1833
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

JaredM wrote:
Sounds like a good setup that you already have in mind. I like the XTAR USB chargers. I have an MC1 in every car and backpack. The S2 is a can’t-go-wrong move, especially if your partner likes colorful things! I’m especially fond of the violet and cyan S2+.



The S2 doesn’t come in colours, does it? Only the S2+ does, AFAIK.

power911
power911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 825
Location: Malaysia

Go with S2+. It’s an overall better package than S2.
The S2 only comes in grey or black. And not too far from S2+ beam.

As for charger I only use Liitokala Lii-202 with my ncr18650b. Using a quality usb charger helps.

“Have you forgotten about all those who called you a Bringer of Woe and hunted you like an animal?”
“Normal humans don’t go around killing people and burning towns!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll go with you! So you just follow me and no arguing, okay?”
“Humans m

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1833
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

power911 wrote:
The S2 only comes in grey or black. And not too far from S2+ beam.

As for charger I only use Liitokala Lii-202 with my ncr18650b. Using a quality usb charger helps.


The S2 has a much tighter spill than the S2+ thanks to the deeper reflector. To match it, you’d need a low-angle optic on the S2+.

Agreed on the charger suggestion, though I have the Lii-402 for charging at home and the Lii-100 on the bag. If it is HKJ approved, I buy.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3034
Location: USA

Jack Kellar wrote:
power911 wrote:
The S2 only comes in grey or black. And not too far from S2+ beam.

As for charger I only use Liitokala Lii-202 with my ncr18650b. Using a quality usb charger helps.


The S2 has a much tighter spill

What do you mean by tighter spill?
power911
power911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 825
Location: Malaysia

Pete7874 wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
power911 wrote:
The S2 only comes in grey or black. And not too far from S2+ beam.

As for charger I only use Liitokala Lii-202 with my ncr18650b. Using a quality usb charger helps.


The S2 has a much tighter spill

What do you mean by tighter spill?

flashlight beam has 2 parts. The center spot and the spill around it. Check out this nitecore link I found
Personally me owning both S2 and S2+ smooth reflectors, I find the center spot similar be it xml sized or xpl. The spill is the only change. Totally not noticeable until you A/B both lights. Only choose it if you really desire tight beam.
But as for user interface, the S2+ is using improved threads and also means more threads vs S2. For a dude like me who swap batteries often, I find my favorite S2 with minimal threads makes things harder to screw tail/head back in without crossthreading a few times. The S2+ threads are easier to align and are more convincing to screw.
S2+ opens up to more options vs S2. I can’t even mod mine to use lighted tailcap properly because the cavity is too deep to hold the clear plastic washer spacer. And S2+ has a thicker brass pill for heatsinking whereas S2 is just some coin looking pill.

“Have you forgotten about all those who called you a Bringer of Woe and hunted you like an animal?”
“Normal humans don’t go around killing people and burning towns!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll go with you! So you just follow me and no arguing, okay?”
“Humans m

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 483
Location: New Zealand

What about the Sofirn SP33 V3 that has direct USB C charging. This will make you envious of hers

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 483
Location: New Zealand

I do sell the proper Xtar 2.1A NZ adapter if you need one.

My website is https:www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

texas shooter
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 08/26/2012 - 02:14
Posts: 1365
Location: Texas

As JaredM said. Xtar chargers are probably the best. http://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-ANT-MC1-Plus-Charger-7.html Are the ones around my office and home. Or if you’re into that “her and you” as a couple thing http://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-MC2-Plus-Charger-12.html So you can charge together.

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 3166
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)
Funtastic wrote:
What about the Sofirn SP33 V3 that has direct USB C charging. This will make you envious of hers

Well, is that going to happen? Seems you trust her only with equipment less powerful than yours.

If you really like (careful choice of words) her you give her the same kit as you have.
Confusing? Not really. There is also a bare (non-anodised) A6 available.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 483
Location: New Zealand
Henk4U2 wrote:
Funtastic wrote:
What about the Sofirn SP33 V3 that has direct USB C charging. This will make you envious of hers

Well, is that going to happen? Seems you trust her only with equipment less powerful than yours.

If you really like (careful choice of words) her you give her the same kit as you have.
Confusing? Not really. There is also a bare (non-anodised) A6 available.

I absolutely hate my non anodized A6, after a short while I get dirty hands. Far better getting anodized imo.

Unless she finds all the modes confusing such as the 4/7 modes and the meduim press. He might be going for something more simple

Trying to explain how the A6 works to my wife is a nightmare lol

If you want her to be blown away get something better than yours but simple to operate. Sofirn are an excellent choice

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3034
Location: USA
power911 wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
The S2 has a much tighter spill
What do you mean by tighter spill?

flashlight beam has 2 parts. The center spot and the spill around it.


No I get that. I was asking about the semantics. What does “tighter” mean when describing spill? Does it mean it has narrower/more concentrated spill?
whatsthepoint
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2019 - 10:48
Posts: 167
Location: Texas

Is your partner going to carry the light in her purse.

The S2+ in one of about 11 color choices would be my choice and possibly the 18350 tube to make it even smaller for carry

I'd also suggest the S2+ with only 4*7135 because the driver is not soldered to the pill,it ships with the locking ring for easier driver upgrading/changing.

The sand and clear colors have smooth reflectors while almost all others are OP with the exception of the gray with the SST40 and maybe others I don't know about..

A large variety of 18650 batteries work well in the S2+.Most flat top,button top and protected cells work.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups