Noctigon K1 info / review

528 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12857
Location: LI NY

Oh, that GT Micro looks cool! Forgot bout that one, djozz. thanks! I got a black flat in my GT Micro - it does really well, I know it's over 100 kcd, forgot by how much.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16906
Location: Amsterdam

Tom E wrote:

Oh, that GT Micro looks cool! Forgot bout that one, djozz. thanks! I got a black flat in my GT Micro – it does really well, I know it’s over 100 kcd, forgot by how much.


I have a pair of them, the other has a KW CULNM1-TG (BoostHL) and I measured it at 125kcd, so somewhat over 100kcd for the Black Flat sounds in line with that.
trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 269

Does the hotspot in this beamshot from about 6-8ft look normal? The hotspot corona looks lopsided and fuzzier(?) than I expect, but it’s my first super thrower. Maybe it’s normal?

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 434
Location: California

Does anyone have the dark brown body color? I haven’t seen many pictures of this color besides the main website.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12857
Location: LI NY

I got the K1 dark brown, but no pics yet.

That beamshot looks good to me, even better than mine actually - better centered. Mine has a similar non-circular corona (not sure if corona is the right name...).

Kevin Z
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/08/2019 - 19:46
Posts: 296

trakcon wrote:
Does the hotspot in this beamshot from about 6-8ft look normal? The hotspot corona looks lopsided and fuzzier(?) than I expect, but it’s my first super thrower. Maybe it’s normal?

I would be disappointed with that , but I’m fussy.

lawallac
lawallac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 15:31
Posts: 439
Location: WI

I’ve adjusted the reflector position on other lights if it had shifted during shipments. But you have to be careful not to be exchanging a tiny bit of adjustment for some dust or a smudged reflector or lens.

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 24 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4096
Location: The Motor City

Does the hotspot in this beamshot from about 6-8ft look normal? The hotspot corona looks lopsided and fuzzier(?) than I expect, but it’s my first super thrower. Maybe it’s normal?

.

Maybe a tiny bit off centered (possibly a tiny bit of slop in the centering ring or cantered) usually when tightening the bezel, the reflector will move or canter the reflector a bit, due to the friction/torque of the bezel. You could try smacking it in your hand to get the reflector to move over a bit to equal out the corona, or loosen the bezel, let the reflector self center, press and hold down onto the glass lens and snug the bezel gently and see if that helps?

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10292
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Usually I’ve found that fine-tuning a thrower ends up being largely a matter of loosening the bezel slightly, maybe slapping the light around a bit, and tightening the bezel. The focus typically changes slightly while turning the bezel, so the last bit of tuning involves knowing when to stop turning.

If the focus is close enough that this sort of thing matters, though… that means it’s already focused pretty well.

IIRC, my K1 had a slightly imbalanced corona, but I simply twisted the bezel a little and it changed to a nearly perfect circle.

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 269

Thanks everybody. I’ll mess with it a little, and maybe not stress over perfection. I really wanted to make sure it didn’t look severely off.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 637
Location: New Zealand
djozz wrote:
I must consider my lights outlawed by now then, been shining them at my neighbours houses for 7 years now Facepalm I’m a bit surprised that no-one ever complained about it sofar, I must have relaxed neighbours Beer Cool

Or they’ve gone blind and no longer can tell Big Smile

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1134
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

trakcon wrote:
Does the hotspot in this beamshot from about 6-8ft look normal? The hotspot corona looks lopsided and fuzzier(?) than I expect, but it’s my first super thrower. Maybe it’s normal?

My W1 looks exactly like yours.

Hank Wang
Online
Last seen: 7 sec ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 464
Location: China

lawallac wrote:
Has anybody seen the green or red beamshots with the K1? I’d like to maybe get a green one, hopefully not another W1, but I’d like to see what the beam looks like in green.

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

lawallac
lawallac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 15:31
Posts: 439
Location: WI

Hank you rock. Thanks, I should be able to replicate that picture when the green one arrives.

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 434
Location: California
Tom E wrote:

I got the K1 dark brown, but no pics yet.


That beamshot looks good to me, even better than mine actually – better centered. Mine has a similar non-circular corona (not sure if corona is the right name…).

How do you like the dark brown? Hank’s photos have me leaning towards that color.

gregor
gregor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 01/09/2015 - 16:35
Posts: 589
Location: Slovenia

Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

Hank Wang
Online
Last seen: 7 sec ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 464
Location: China

gregor wrote:
Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

What improvements do you like to see in the D1S upgrade?

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12857
Location: LI NY

JordanZHP wrote:
Tom E wrote:

I got the K1 dark brown, but no pics yet.

That beamshot looks good to me, even better than mine actually - better centered. Mine has a similar non-circular corona (not sure if corona is the right name...).

How do you like the dark brown? Hank’s photos have me leaning towards that color.

I like it - it's a bit dark but looks good.

EasyB
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 27 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1946
Location: Ohio

Hank Wang wrote:
gregor wrote:
Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

What improvements do you like to see in the D1S upgrade?

The D1S was in a class of its own when it came out in terms of being as compact as possible while keeping the 50mm head size. Then the lumintop GT mini came out with very similar dimensions.

I might like to see the updated D1S keep the 50mm head but be made for 21700 cell. This would make it unique again and give it a power/runtime boost.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12857
Location: LI NY

Hi Hank - I'd expect the D1S V2 to be the new generation driver with lit switch, like the K1, programmable with the standard programming clip, etc.

fyi - finally getting some tracking movement on the last order, and thanx for shipping out that order from last night so quick!

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 309
Location: Germany

Hank Wang wrote:
gregor wrote:
Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

What improvements do you like to see in the D1S upgrade?

Something the size of the D1 with 100+ kcd would be great. Osram in D1 host maybe? And lighted button, of course. Wink
Hank Wang
Online
Last seen: 7 sec ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 464
Location: China

EasyB wrote:
Hank Wang wrote:
gregor wrote:
Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

What improvements do you like to see in the D1S upgrade?

The D1S was in a class of its own when it came out in terms of being as compact as possible while keeping the 50mm head size. Then the lumintop GT mini came out with very similar dimensions.

I might like to see the updated D1S keep the 50mm head but be made for 21700 cell. This would make it unique again and give it a power/runtime boost.

Yes, 21700 battery, similiar driver like in the K1, so that the Osram LED can be used to reach 300Kcd+.

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

Gerrit
Online
Last seen: 3 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 06/20/2013 - 04:44
Posts: 338
Location: NL

Hank Wang wrote:
EasyB wrote:
Hank Wang wrote:
gregor wrote:
Off topic.

Hank, when do you plan to start selling Emisar D1S replacement?

Thank you

Kind regards

What improvements do you like to see in the D1S upgrade?

The D1S was in a class of its own when it came out in terms of being as compact as possible while keeping the 50mm head size. Then the lumintop GT mini came out with very similar dimensions.

I might like to see the updated D1S keep the 50mm head but be made for 21700 cell. This would make it unique again and give it a power/runtime boost.

Yes, 21700 battery, similiar driver like in the K1, so that the Osram LED can be used to reach 30Kcd+.

21700 battery indeed Thumbs Up + Osram W2 led

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16906
Location: Amsterdam

Perhaps you can get hold of Boost HX leds, KW CULPM1-TG, the 4040 version of the W2, it can be driven a bit harder for some more output with the same die dimension.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20623
Location: Heart of Texas

I find it totally unnecessary to stress over the beam profile at close range when it’s a long range light. Perfect or slightly off at 8’ will be completely irrelevant at 5280’.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3821
Location: US
djozz wrote:
Perhaps you can get hold of Boost HX leds, KW CULPM1-TG, the 4040 version of the W2, it can be driven a bit harder for some more output with the same die dimension.

BOOST HX!! YES PLEASE!!! Thumbs Up

Rayoui
Rayoui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 00:38
Posts: 251
Location: Portland, OR
DB Custom wrote:
I find it totally unnecessary to stress over the beam profile at close range when it’s a long range light. Perfect or slightly off at 8’ will be completely irrelevant at 5280’.

It’s an indication that the reflector isn’t focused properly. Could be leaving performance on the table.

jojosupir
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/17/2019 - 19:39
Posts: 98
Location: 1MDB

trakcon wrote:
Does the hotspot in this beamshot from about 6-8ft look normal? The hotspot corona looks lopsided and fuzzier(?) than I expect, but it’s my first super thrower. Maybe it’s normal?

Mine were worst than that actually.

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 269

It looks worse the farther back you go when inside. Of course, outside at night I can’t tell there’s a problem. I just don’t want that nagging feeling that it’s lacking performance.

Gerrit
Online
Last seen: 3 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 06/20/2013 - 04:44
Posts: 338
Location: NL
SKV89 wrote:
djozz wrote:
Perhaps you can get hold of Boost HX leds, KW CULPM1-TG, the 4040 version of the W2, it can be driven a bit harder for some more output with the same die dimension.

BOOST HX!! YES PLEASE!!! Thumbs Up

That’s a good option Jos

Pages