super budget lights on ebay

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118
super budget lights on ebay

Don't think I've seen these interesting cheapies posted on BLF before.  Anyone have these?

 

This aluminum AA light is $1.88 with free shipping. Photo shows an inset clicky... looks like it could tailstand. It has a keychain lanyard like the DeLight or Powerlight.  Appears to have a 'tactical bezel'. Photo shows O rings. Front and back ends removable.   

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-AA-Flashlight-Camping-Handy-Keychain-Torch-3W-Lamp-/260721184299

 

This small aluminum one is AAA but appears to have a nice wire clip on it. Twist on, looks like it might tail stand. $1.93 with free shipping.  Nice knurling on the grip section.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/3W-LED-Police-Flashlight-Torch-w-Clip-lamp-clamp-/14049284142

Anagoge
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2010 - 16:19
Posts: 60
Location: USA

dimeotane wrote:

This aluminum AA light is $1.88 with free shipping. Photo shows an inset clicky... looks like it could tailstand. It has a keychain lanyard like the DeLight or Powerlight.  Appears to have a 'tactical bezel'. Photo shows O rings. Front and back ends removable.   

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-AA-Flashlight-Camping-Handy-Keychain-Torch-3W-Lamp-/260721184299

I have this one and I definitely don't recommend it.  Though it works, has a o-ring, and unscrews on both ends, the threads are garbage and the light is so dim on mine and it is probably the second worst light I own.  The beam is ugly.  Even with a fresh AA Eneloop battery, it much much dimmer and clearly lower quality than the similarly-priced MXDL AAA models I have.  The only use I've found for it is to hand it to my toddler to play with, because it is dim enough that it won't hurt his eyes if he states at it.  I didn't test runtime, so it may well last forever, but it won't make you very happy in doing so.

I own both of these very inexpensive MXDL AAA lights, and I'd recommend them both over that generic light above.  Both are much brighter (nice flood/spill) and have much better build quality, IMO:

In case the links go bad, the ebay seller is autoshop8810, and he always seems to have these for sale.  They are not high end, but just basic 1-mode lights.  I keep one by my bedside and use it regularly at night when roaming around the house.

Hayley
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 9 months ago
Joined: 01/24/2011 - 21:34
Posts: 89
Location: USA

Anagoge wrote:

dimeotane wrote:

This aluminum AA light is $1.88 with free shipping. Photo shows an inset clicky... looks like it could tailstand. It has a keychain lanyard like the DeLight or Powerlight.  Appears to have a 'tactical bezel'. Photo shows O rings. Front and back ends removable.   

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-AA-Flashlight-Camping-Handy-Keychain-Torch-3W-Lamp-/260721184299

I have this one and I definitely don't recommend it.  Though it works, has a o-ring, and unscrews on both ends, the threads are garbage and the light is so dim on mine and it is probably the second worst light I own.  The beam is ugly.  Even with a fresh AA Eneloop battery, it much much dimmer and clearly lower quality than the similarly-priced MXDL AAA models I have.  The only use I've found for it is to hand it to my toddler to play with, because it is dim enough that it won't hurt his eyes if he states at it.  I didn't test runtime, so it may well last forever, but it won't make you very happy in doing so.

I own both of these very inexpensive MXDL AAA lights, and I'd recommend them both over that generic light above.  Both are much brighter (nice flood/spill) and have much better build quality, IMO:

In case the links go bad, the ebay seller is autoshop8810, and he always seems to have these for sale.  They are not high end, but just basic 1-mode lights.  I keep one by my bedside and use it regularly at night when roaming around the house.

 

Thanks for sharing, I think the Mini Flashlight Lamp Torch will be interesting

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6561
Location: The Light

I was looking at the super budget lights on http://www.priceangels.com/ and they have a pretty good selection. They cost arounf $2.50 to $4.00 for some of the ones that appeal to me.

 

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

glassboy
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/09/2011 - 05:22
Posts: 15
Location: Belarus

In my opinion these lights has a good light/price ratio, but quality isn't good. Anytime you can find youself in darkness with it. Better add couple of bucks and get something like this http://www.focalprice.com/LF554X/SK58_Adjustable_Zoom_Focus_LED_Flashlight_Lamp_Torch.html

Budgeteer
Budgeteer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2010 - 02:19
Posts: 3087
Location: Slovenia (EU)

What kind of led does that sipik 58 have?

kragmutt wrote:

They're gonna send you a green redcat with a black LED.

glassboy
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/09/2011 - 05:22
Posts: 15
Location: Belarus

I think it's smth like OSRAM goldendragon, don't know for sure

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6561
Location: The Light

Budgeteer wrote:

What kind of led does that sipik 58 have?

OSRAM. Glassboy is right, the Sipik SK-58 is a smoking deal. Very high quality, an OSRAM emitter (although they're probably rejects or something) and a zoom function. I personally still prefer the ultra-budget "Powerlight" family, though, because I need my lights to run for a long time. The SK-58 is so bright that it drains the battery really fast.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

Love this forum!  The feedback is great. Thanks for the recommendations for better lights.  I've been wondering what's another better option from the BLF DeLights / powerlights.

I'm wanting lights that have a good combo of long runtime and power.  Anything out there yet thats really energy efficient for a long run time under $8 on an AA? The sipik 58 sounds nice but I need a few hours of run time.  Anything with a newer emitter something like a Cree Q  bin or Osram golden dragon emitter but cheap?

 

 I just came across http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1w-20-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-14966

Which is said to rate at 20 lumen for 15-20 hours, and priced at $3.50.  It appears to be the same body as the ebay one in my OP for under $2 (different emmiter?).

 

Maybe to get the longer run times in budget lights I need to get into 2AAs, like this light: SmallSun ZY-203 which is described as a C3 clone.  No idea about lumens or runtime though.

http://www.focalprice.com/LF291B/1W_Super_Slim_LED_EnergySaving_Torch_Black.html

jekostas
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/30/2010 - 03:09
Posts: 576
Location: Surrey

sb56637 wrote:

Budgeteer wrote:

What kind of led does that sipik 58 have?

OSRAM. Glassboy is right, the Sipik SK-58 is a smoking deal. Very high quality, an OSRAM emitter (although they're probably rejects or something) and a zoom function. I personally still prefer the ultra-budget "Powerlight" family, though, because I need my lights to run for a long time. The SK-58 is so bright that it drains the battery really fast.

 

Some of the Sk-58s have XR-Es as well.  The OSRAM version I have has a current draw of 1.45A.  High for the output (60-70ish lumens), but not super high.  Still get a decent 1.5 hours out of it.

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

dimeotane wrote:

Love this forum!  The feedback is great. Thanks for the recommendations for better lights.  I've been wondering what's another better option from the BLF DeLights / powerlights.

I'm wanting lights that have a good combo of long runtime and power.  Anything out there yet thats really energy efficient for a long run time under $8 on an AA? The sipik 58 sounds nice but I need a few hours of run time.  Anything with a newer emitter something like a Cree Q  bin or Osram golden dragon emitter but cheap?

 

 I just came across http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1w-20-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-14966

Which is said to rate at 20 lumen for 15-20 hours, and priced at $3.50.  It appears to be the same body as the ebay one in my OP for under $2 (different emmiter?).

 

Maybe to get the longer run times in budget lights I need to get into 2AAs, like this light: SmallSun ZY-203 which is described as a C3 clone.  No idea about lumens or runtime though.

http://www.focalprice.com/LF291B/1W_Super_Slim_LED_EnergySaving_Torch_Black.html

 Consult with Mr. Admin. He is the runtime specialist round here. He regularly (?daily) suffers from power outages. Me, I've had two of those since 1990. And both totalled less than half an hour.

There are AA lights that will run approximately forever - just don't expect serious brightness as well. Mr. Admin probably knows more about them than anyone else here.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6561
Location: The Light

Here's the best thread for the SK-58: http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/342 Here I reported that the runtime was awful on an Eneloop, less than 1 hour. However, I have since tested in with an Alkaline, and got much better results. The reason is that the Eneloop produced full power for almost the entire runtime, then within a question of minutes dims down to nothing. On the other hand the output of an alkaline slowly slopes off. I think it will probably make usable light for a few hours with an alkaline.

I have found the cheap 1xAA lights to be the best bet, though. They're probably around 20 lumens if not more. Perfectly usable both indoors and outdoors. The one you linked to looks pretty bad though. And definitely don't buy it from DealExtreme, there are many others that ship a better light much faster for a better price. You might look at:

  1. The so-called "BLF DeLight". They vary a lot, but some are very bright, albeit sometimes a tad bluish. Less runtime because they are the brightest, but still well over 6 hours on an Eneloop.
  2. The silver "Powerlight". This one has by far the nicest beam of any ultra-budget light, and in fact it rivals most of my much more expensive lights. The beam is beautifully smooth and has a pretty vanilla color. It's reasonably bright, decent quality for the price, and has great runtime, around 20 to 24 hours with a decent Alkaline.
  3. This version of the Powerlight also looks pretty good. I'm thinking about trying it.

 

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

glassboy
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/09/2011 - 05:22
Posts: 15
Location: Belarus

Yesterday got this light from ebay for 6.9 each. It has TIR optics with OSRAM led. Finishing is very good, O-rings everywhere, but it feels "fat" - very thick walls for AA light. Has decent light output, but pulls only 0.4 A from alkaline AA

SS-7021

scruffy dog
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/09/2010 - 11:20
Posts: 337
Location: Scotland

a nice looking light dose it feel well made

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

The SK58 does look good. It's $5.84 on priceangels.com

http://priceangels.com/SK58_Adjustable_Zoom_Focus_LED_Flashlight_Lamp_Torch_p17869.html

Some ratings say the SK58 is 80 lumens with 200 minute run time on Alkalines. 

I like that it tailstands in 'candle mode'.  Also the flood to throw could be useful, I don't have one yet.

Is this currently the best 'bang for the buck' out there, next to the HXG011 Powerlights?

 

Here's another Powerlight model RX-8011 with a different body for $3 at 35 lumen: 

 

http://priceangels.com/Powerlight_Compact_3W_LED_Flashlight_with_Lanyard__Black__p18010.html

arenat
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 days ago
Joined: 11/22/2010 - 01:00
Posts: 367
Location: Argentina

This one look nice and is very small, 8.2 cm , probably a generic emitter which help to keep the price low, that's a pro for me...well see in two or three weeks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170517696458&ssPageNa...

 

Also the feedback left is perfect...

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/item-fb?User=chinayyg+&Search=3W+LED+mini+ou...

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6561
Location: The Light

arenat wrote:

This one look nice and is very small, 8.2 cm , probably a generic emitter which help to keep the price low, that's a pro for me...well see in two or three weeks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170517696458&ssPageNa...

Please keep us updated on this one. I have been looking at the same one.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

arenat
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 days ago
Joined: 11/22/2010 - 01:00
Posts: 367
Location: Argentina

I hope the update came soon, still waiting a thing which left China 17 days ago...curiously the transit time of some vendors is very short, 4-5 days...

seantheaussie
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 04:14
Posts: 17
Location: Newcastle, Australia

I've just bought 2 digitalzone88 AA BLF delights & 1 autoshop8810 AAA MXDL 3w twisty. One of the DeLights has an intermittent connection. The MXDL has a far brighter spot & spill than the BLF delights & is certainly worth far more than the extra 70c I paid. The price has even gone down on them & some have bought them for $2.02 - $2.08 compared to my $2.27. I will just have to stew in my own envy.

Sean

df2dot
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/15/2011 - 14:15
Posts: 520

glassboy wrote:

Yesterday got this light from ebay for 6.9 each. It has TIR optics with OSRAM led. Finishing is very good, O-rings everywhere, but it feels "fat" - very thick walls for AA light. Has decent light output, but pulls only 0.4 A from alkaline AA

 

 

$ 7 are you serious , send a link - see if they have more , also if you can send inside pics of the light

 

ty

 

SecaRob
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 191
Location: Ohio

dot,  I ordered one of those the other day will post pictures when I get it.  I am planning on making it my first mod?  Does anyone know how well a XPG work with the Tir optics??

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

Glasboy, can we hear more about the specs (or estimates) on the light.  Whats the run time for you?  How much lumen would you say it is? Or in comparison to other lights you own.  What does TIR optics mean for the flashlight? Total Internal Reflection means that it has very good throw? Less flood?   It looks like it might tailstand... does it?

glassboy
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/09/2011 - 05:22
Posts: 15
Location: Belarus

Dimeotane, can't say about runtime - didn't used this light for long, but with consumption  0.4 A from AA it gonna be several hours. I think there's around 50 lm, but TIR optics (which is preferable in small lights) collects all light flux from LED into the narrow beam, and flashlight performs rather good. And yes, TIR means less spill, much more throw. It does tailstand.

smiling shark

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

The same seller as glassboy got his light from has some other interesting looking lights.  I just wish I could find out the runtime and lumen before buying.  Anyone know anything / have these?

This "8w" one for $6.80 looks like it might tailstand.  Also from this seller for $5.72  And here

I think it is this one on DX (sold out). Reviews there say its 1.3A draw giving around 100 lumen.

One reviewer there says his had bad threads and machining. 

 

 

This $3.80 light marked FT-1502 is waterproof and looks like it tailstands: 

 

A $5 SK-58 clone: and here and here

 

SecaRob
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 191
Location: Ohio

glassboy wrote:

Dimeotane, can't say about runtime - didn't used this light for long, but with consumption  0.4 A from AA it gonna be several hours. I think there's around 50 lm, but TIR optics (which is preferable in small lights) collects all light flux from LED into the narrow beam, and flashlight performs rather good. And yes, TIR means less spill, much more throw. It does tailstand.

smiling shark

 

Glassboy,  I dropped a 14500 in mine tonight.  Nice improvement!  It's now useable at around 50 yards