Review: Black Shadow Terminator 4*U3/4*18650

260 posts / 0 new
Last post
Santa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 03:11
Posts: 9
Location: moon
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

Thanks, Slacker! Smile

It wouldn't be hard at all. The individual reflector "barrels" unscrew to expose the emitters. They only have thermal grease, not paste, so they come out easily. Each LED has its own plug to the driver. Just unplug and remove the led and wire, unsolder the write from the old led, solder wiring to new led, feed the wiring back in and plug into the drive.  Dab some gear onto boron of the new star, position it, then thread reflector barrel back on. 

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Is it really that simple? No need to switch drivers and all? I’ve never done any Flashlight modding so I’m a bit reluctant to try this till I’m sure on the steps.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

arjay wrote:
Is it really that simple? No need to switch drivers and all? I've never done any Flashlight modding so I'm a bit reluctant to try this till I'm sure on the steps.
yes it is that easy.only soldering needed is 2 wire contact points on each LED star. No tricky soldering on the driver.
arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

What materials do I need to make this all happen? My terminators are due to arrive next week and I want to mod them to sport the latest U3 bin leds. My soldering skills are pretty decent, do I need a soldering station?

tatasal
Online
Last seen: 4 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5274
Location: Far East
arjay wrote:
What materials do I need to make this all happen? My terminators are due to arrive next week and I want to mod them to sport the latest U3 bin leds. My soldering skills are pretty decent, do I need a soldering station?

go go go my friend, then I can be your student

Slacker
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/21/2012 - 17:36
Posts: 91
Location: Sweden

Thank you for your reply, JohnnyMac! That sounds great! Still thinking if I should replace the whole MCPCB or reflow new emitters to the existing MCPCB. I prefer to change the whole thing, because then I will have 2 sets Big Smile Could you kindly check what size the MCPCB is, if it isn’t too much trouble and if you have time? Smile Thanks a lot!

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Slacker

Could you please do a tutorial on how you do yours for us noobs. I don’t have the slightest clue on how to start. Smile

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

You sold me.

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 min ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:
You sold me.

+1 – im just waiting to see if doing out door has a better price on the u3 that makes it worth buying from over seas vs going gear

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 805
Location: Reading, UK

Send doingoutdoor and email. his prices are rather good Smile

Rozen
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 05/04/2012 - 00:55
Posts: 107
Location: United States

Great review. Now I want to get one but this is gonna be about three times more expensive than any of the other lights I own. I’ve been debating whether or not it’s worth paying so much for a flashlight. Also,does this warrant paying double the cost of the Darth, since I’ve been eyeing that for quite some time now as well. I really need some help deciding. :~

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

I own both Terminator and Darth. They share same quality standard to me.
If you are not thirsty about lumens, Darth is enough for day to day use.
If you are looking for more lumens, Terminator is the one to go.
I am resisting getting another two Terminators to contruct my 16-LED lights. This time will need to machine an adapter to hold 4 of them. I am hungry for lumens, hot fever now.

cool i'll see you when you get there

indenial
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 12:36
Posts: 477
Location: San Jose
Rozen wrote:
Great review. Now I want to get one but this is gonna be about three times more expensive than any of the other lights I own. I’ve been debating whether or not it’s worth paying so much for a flashlight. Also,does this warrant paying double the cost of the Darth, since I’ve been eyeing that for quite some time now as well. I really need some help deciding. :~

Other than the SRK, I think the Terminator is one of the best deals out there. I have the U2 version, and it’s an elegantly designed, nicely constructed light. The permanently attached handle and clunky UI may bother some, but I still like it a lot. The kinda bright switch led is another possible design issue, but that’s really an individual preference.

And I paid a lot more than what doingoutdoor.com is selling it for!

My name is indy, and I've been a flashaholic since 2004.

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

^
I know how you feel, I too want two more terminators and mount them together to make a handheld 12000 lumens sun. Any ideas on how to mount 4 together?

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

arjay wrote:
^
I know how you feel, I too want two more terminators and mount them together to make a handheld 12000 lumens sun. Any ideas on how to mount 4 together?

Glad to see that you share same idea with me, now I know I am not crazy alone. Big Smile
Many arrangement can be done, I imagine them in my brain, sometimes make me difficult to fall asleep.
I think of using magnet, or let machine shop to machine an adapter (wonder what will be the cost).
If getting more crazy will be modifying individual Terminator to arrange all their buttons at one same location. But then they will not be able to be used individually.

cool i'll see you when you get there

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

One terminator is 1.048kg, so 4 will be above 4kg. I think still hand holdable and can be used to train my wrist and shoulder.

cool i'll see you when you get there

panthervision23
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/19/2013 - 00:37
Posts: 545

The look of this Terminator light, reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s ‘Commando’ movie; wherein he fired a four-barreled rocket launcher (forgot its name :~ ). Anyway, great review JohnnyMac. It’s nice that you give details about its specs.

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines
DENGOH wrote:
Glad to see that you share same idea with me, now I know I am not crazy alone. Big Smile Many arrangement can be done, I imagine them in my brain, sometimes make me difficult to fall asleep. I think of using magnet, or let machine shop to machine an adapter (wonder what will be the cost). If getting more crazy will be modifying individual Terminator to arrange all their buttons at one same location. But then they will not be able to be used individually.

I was thinking about just strapping them to a block of wood and going on my merry way, simple, cheap and easy to take apart. Yeah! modding the buttons would mean that you would loose the versatility of using them individually.

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines
DENGOH wrote:
One terminator is 1.048kg, so 4 will be above 4kg. I think still hand holdable and can be used to train my wrist and shoulder.

Not sure where you got that but one terminator loaded with batteries would just weigh about 590-600 grams. So that’s just 2.4 kgs for all four. Not really that heavy if you ask me. Smile

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

Yes, you are right. I made a mistake about weight calculation.
One loaded Terminator is about 620g. Four will be about 2.44kg.

cool i'll see you when you get there

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157
arjay wrote:
DENGOH wrote:
Glad to see that you share same idea with me, now I know I am not crazy alone. Big Smile Many arrangement can be done, I imagine them in my brain, sometimes make me difficult to fall asleep. I think of using magnet, or let machine shop to machine an adapter (wonder what will be the cost). If getting more crazy will be modifying individual Terminator to arrange all their buttons at one same location. But then they will not be able to be used individually.

I was thinking about just strapping them to a block of wood and going on my merry way, simple, cheap and easy to take apart. Yeah! modding the buttons would mean that you would loose the versatility of using them individually.

I wish to design a piece of aluminium that hold them together, and that piece of aluminium is not visible easily so that I see 4 Terminator most of the time. Using wood is good solution, just that I am afraid it might not look so nice cosmetically.

cool i'll see you when you get there

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Oh.. I’m not really worried about cosmetics since I don’t plan on having all 4 mounted all the time. Also, I doubt anyone would be able to see that block of wood when in use, all they will be seeing are spots and will be cursing for a few minutes. Smile

tatasal
Online
Last seen: 4 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5274
Location: Far East
arjay wrote:
Oh.. I’m not really worried about cosmetics since I don’t plan on having all 4 mounted all the time. Also, I doubt anyone would be able to see that block of wood when in use, all they will be seeing are spots and will be cursing for a few minutes. Smile

Tie up the four Terminators, face up, drop it down like a chandelier. haha

texaspyro
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 04/29/2011 - 12:43
Posts: 4593

Four Terminators are too expensive… you can cobble up something like this for under $200, plus get over 15,000 lumens:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15483

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

texaspyro wrote:
Four Terminators are too expensive… you can cobble up something like this for under $200, plus get over 15,000 lumens:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15483

I’m not too great with DIY, might cost me more than 4 terminators if I tried to do that. Remember I would also need to purchase all those electronics doodas and that costs money. Smile
Denbuc
Denbuc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 02/12/2013 - 15:16
Posts: 65
Location: Renfrewshire, UK

My Terminator arrived today from Intl outdoor – amazingly in ten days.

If anyone is in any doubt, this BST is just lovely. By FAR the highest quality torch I’ve ever seen never mind held.

Now can’t wait for night time to out and do some testing lol Shocked Steve

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 min ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT

mine is coming in a few hrs!

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

southcovekayak
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 14:06
Posts: 387
Location: edge of the Atlantic

Have fun with that! Have one coming too, see how long it takes from Doingoutdoor.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

Denbuc wrote:
My Terminator arrived today from Intl outdoor - amazingly in ten days. If anyone is in any doubt, this BST is just lovely. By FAR the highest quality torch I've ever seen never mind held. Now can't wait for night time to out and do some testing lol Shocked :steve:
Fess up, brother!  How do you like it??

Pages