Review : XTAR WK41 SIRIUS AA

53 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain
Review : XTAR WK41 SIRIUS AA

XTAR WK41 Sirius AA

from xtarlight.com

SPECIFICATIONS
Brand: Xtar
Model: WK41 sirius AA
LED: XM-L U2
Reflector: OP
Voltage Range: 0.9-4.2V
Battery: AA (Alkaline,NiMH, Primary lithium) / 14500
Modes : 4 (Low-Mid-High-Turbo) + 3 Hidden(Strobe-Signal-SOS)
Switch: Side switch
Lens: Glass. Antireflective coating.
Provided by Xtar for review

Packaging

The WK41 came in hard cardboard box high quality with Xtar logo. Inside the package you will find the flashlight, spare O-ring and Lanyard. Warranty card and instructions in English (the instructions are very well detailed and easy).
The cap is magnetic to facilitate the closure

BUILD QUALITY

The flashlight is lightweight and perfect EDC. Not too small, is better than other competitors to use with gloves.

I have found no flaws in the anodizing, is perfect, and the knurling provides excellent grip. I’ve watched very closely and there is no little defect, here is premium quality note.

I like the detail of the engraved logo on the silicon side switch, here is the low battery warning. Rails on the head of the flashlight to facilitate heat dissipation (very common in flashlights that supports 14500, there is little mass and be cooled). The flashlight design prevents roll, with or without clip WK41 will not roll.

The tail allows tailstands, is very stable. The clip is strong and well designed. The flashlight in the pocket protrudes slightly.

In the Tail only a spring, the body thickness is intermediate, perfect for an EDC of this size, not too delicate or too heavy. The threads are fully anodized, this allows unscrew a Little we cut the circuit and avoid accidental start.
Also provides physical protection against reverse battery installation, clamped by a pair of readily accessible Phillips screws.

LED and BEAM

XM-L U2 : The LED is perfectly centered
The reflector is OP (orange pell texture) and little depth. We have many flood and Little throw.
Beam is one of the most perfect and cleanest I’ve ever seen. It’s really nice.
Tint is cold. Not observed blue tint.

Here I compare with a similar flashlight, the zebralight SC52.

User Interface:

Easy and intuitive
To turn the light on:
press the side switch, the light turns on in the last mode used. With short clicky mode is changed: Low (3 lumens) – Mid (30 lumens) – High (60 lumens -150 L with 14500)) – Turbo (150 lumens-300 L with 14500) – low – mid …..
If pressed twice in rapid succession turns Strobo mode (with the flashlight off or the flashlight on), if again we press 2 times quickly turn signal mode and pressing 2 times more light SOS mode (by pressing in a special mode only one clicky goes Low mode).
To turn off the flashlight; press the switch 1.5 sec.

RUNTIME & OUTPUT

I tested the flashlight using different batteries.

The beam produced is clearly flooder. Advertised 150 lumens for Turbo mode( with NiMH). I compared the performance WK41 with H2 mode (172 Lumens) of Zebralight SC52. In my view the Xtar gives very similar beam, lux output is almost the same, and my feeling is that the WK41 visual illuminates a little more.
With Lithium Battery performance is very good, stays five minutes in the theoretical 300 lumens (I think more because wins by a landslide for the SC52 280 lumens with NiMH) and then descends to High mode that is 150 lumens with Lithium 14500. I compare here output light in the center spot with different batteries:

RUNTIMES

My opinion with this data is;
- NiMH have a very good regulation
- Primary Lithium have a excellent runtime (NICE Lithium, Energizer L91,..)
- With 14500 Extra Power 5 minutes (300 Lumens), then down to high mode(150 lumens) and the 2 lowest modes continue with the same power.
-The flashlight recognizes battery Type used
-There is a low battery warning on the switch,
-The flashlight has protection against over-discharge when using 14500, which turns off the flashlight in case the voltage drops to 2.75V.

Edit: to add data, Mode Mid (30 Lumens) with eneloop and 14500;
- Runtime Mid (30 L) with eneloop 2400 :
Runtime 50 % 5 H. 46 minutes.
Runtime 10 % 6 H 2 minutes.
Runtime official 8 hours.

-Good news. The Low Battery Red Led works with rechargeable and non-rechargeable (NiMH, alkaline, lithium primary and 14500).
Mode Mid (30 L) with Xtar 14500; The red Led fixed at 4 hours 31 minutes (messured voltaje 3.56V).
Stop the test after 5 hours. Red LED not blinking, the voltage is 3.49V, but I do not like to force unprotected.
I think it will near six hours runtime that Xtar says to “14500”.

Is one of the most powerful AA NiMH.
Is the same level as others that report more lumens, but the WK41 is on the TOP level.

SOME BEAM SHOTS

LOW POWER INDICATOR

The low battery indicator is located on the side switch. As indicated by the manufacturer, fixed red led when power falls to 25%, and starts flashing when it falls to 5%.
These are my data:
- With NICE Lithium battery in Turbo, low alert turns red in the 87 minutes, and starts flashing in the 94 minutes. I remember runtime to 50% is 93 minutes and runtime to 10% is 118 minutes. With this battery model the alert is very useful and indicative.
- With Eneloop 2400mA in Mode Turbo, low alert turns red in the 80 minutes and flashing begins at 84 min.
- With Eneloop 2400mA in High mode (60 L), low alert turns red in 3 hours 10 minutes and flashing begins at 3 hours 16 minutes.

EXTRA PICS:

Group picture, my best AA, the WK41 is one of the best EDC AA (in the top 3)

For this flashlight we can use 2 cheap and quality accessories:
The holster Tank007 and silicone diffuser 20-25mm (fits perfect)

WHAT I LIKE:

- Accepts batteries with different chemistries. We can choose for power, runtime or regulation.
- The beam is perfect.
- Good output with AA.
- Great Quality anodized. Good finishes and good grip (love the knurling).
- LED low battery warning.
- Overdischarge protection in lithium batteries (cut 2.75V)
- Tailstand highly stable.
- Special modes hidden, but with direct access to strobe.
- Side switch is protected.
- We can block unscrewing (anodized threads).
- The Instructions (in English) are simple and complete

WHAT I DO NOT LIKE:

- Compatibility with different brands of 14500. Zebra 14500 and Nitecore NL147 not work with it. With Xtar 14500 works fine. I must find protected 14500 that works well.

Final rating

This is surely one aa 5 stars StarStarStarStarStar
The flashlight was provided by Xtar for review. I do not know the price. It’s one of my best aa flashlights, is at the same level as other well known EagleTac D25A clicky or Zebra SC52.
I buy it without hesitation. Xtar has done a great job with this flashlight.
Regards guys.

Edited by: sb56637 on 08/26/2014 - 17:06
Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

Hi. Wink buuump

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 11193
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Thanks for the great review, Trevi_lux!   Big Smile

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

Thanks for the comment Raccoon city BeerBeer

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 5820
Location: Holland/Japan

I like your review, especially your graphs. Nice design.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12386
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Thanks Trevi_lux for the review. Looks like a terrific little light.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

f42
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/14/2012 - 21:15
Posts: 234

Great review! It looks like better than sc52.


Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

Woody
Woody's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 02/20/2012 - 17:08
Posts: 1617
Location: London
dinoboy wrote:

http://www.dinodirect.com/xtar-x-star-wk41-mini-light-flashlight-longsho...

 

Smile

LOL. DD have lost the plot.

Edit – Oh, and nice review, thanks.

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

f42 wrote:
Great review! It looks like better than sc52.

!http://i.imgur.com/Ax0AXS5.jpg!

In the picture zebralight is in mode H2(172 Lumens), but the H1 would 280lumens (of course 280 zebralumens are not really 280 lumens) Wink

f42
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/14/2012 - 21:15
Posts: 234

At least not green thanks for the review! Smile


Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

Hi f42 Smile
The SC52 in the picture looks very greenish, the camera is not good, but really does not look so green.
I also prefer the Xtar tint.

f42
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/14/2012 - 21:15
Posts: 234

If you didn’t take two different shots of lights one by one and merge the pictures, it is not because of the camera I guess.

Tint of xtar definetely looks good! Wink


Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

I add a short video; XTAR WK41 with eneloop and 14500

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2101
Location: South Aus

Nice review.

Which would you recommend out of this and the Sunwayman C15A?

Both look very interesting to me.

hhaappii
hhaappii's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/29/2013 - 22:46
Posts: 143
Location: Down Under

In OP it was mentioned “Zebra 14500 and Nitecore NL147 not work with it”. May I ask why? Size problem or other issue? Thank you very much! Smile

Hhaa<span style=“color:#666666

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

Hi Big Smile
It is a difficult question ; C15A or WK41.
The newest is the WK41, but consider several things.

- Low battery warning light: in Xtar alerts with NiMH, Alkaline. In C15A alerts with 14500. EDIT: Xtar alerts with NiMH and 14500 (and alkaline and L92)
- Cut to 2.75V battery in Xtar. In sunwayman i do not know.
- Compatibility 14500: In C15A the Nitecore NL147 works well, the 14500 Xtar works well (zebra 14500 not work) … is very compatible. In Wk41 the Nl147 not working, not working Zebra14500, of mine just goes with the XTAR 14500.
- The reflector of the C15A is smooth(more throw), the OP of Xtar more floods.
- Size: the Xtar is lighter and better EDC.
- Interface and sharing modes, better Xtar. Tint is colder in Xtar, in C15A is almost neutral.
- To turn the flashlight off Xtar wait 2 seconds making clicky, I do not like.

For a little, I think I prefer the XTAR WK41. When I have protected 14500 battery that fits well in the Xtar, then be my favorite.

EDIT : VIDEO Sunwayman C15A battery 14500 / Xtar WK41 battery 14500

Sw C15A 14500 Video

Xtar WK41 battery 14500 Video

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain
hhaappii wrote:
In OP it was mentioned “Zebra 14500 and Nitecore NL147 not work with it”. May I ask why? Size problem or other issue? Thank you very much! Smile

The problem of “14500 zebra” is that it is “flat button”, and physical protection Xtar is avoiding contact.
About NL147, I’m not sure. I think the size is not the guilty. This is Top Button, but protrudes very little (i think this is the reason). The positive in the Xtar 14500 is the same as in the eneloop or alkalines.

Tecmo
Tecmo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 09/30/2011 - 09:00
Posts: 1469
Location: Indiana

Hey nice review. Good use of text in your pictures.

Spasmod
Spasmod's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 12/29/2012 - 20:17
Posts: 508
Location: UK West Country

Thanks for a great review Trevi_lux, very much appreciated

mhanlen
mhanlen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/01/2013 - 11:42
Posts: 2613
Location: Eastern USA

Nice Review! I like that diffuser- I wish every decent light came with one, that was similarly styled. It helps turn them into nice camp lanterns.

agent80
Offline
Last seen: 50 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/06/2013 - 02:28
Posts: 303

Thanks for the video! On a NiMH the 150 lumens seems too low. They should have got it up to atleast 200 lumens

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain
agent80 wrote:
Thanks for the video! On a NiMH the 150 lumens seems too low. They should have got it up to atleast 200 lumens

Hi.
True, but they have tried a good balance Lumens-Runtime.
Not a big flashlight to use outdoors, but as EDC is enough.
These 150 Lumens, light as well as 170 Zebra or Sunwayman lumens.

NDMstr
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 07/12/2013 - 17:08
Posts: 2
Location: East Coast

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent review. I bought one earlier this week specifically because of reading this review and it just arrived today. This is by far the best EDC flashlight I’ve ever owned.

I’ve been using it with the Eneloop XX 2400mah AA, and I wont really get a true opportunity to test it till tonight. But this review hits everything spot on, its small, lightweight. The quality is top notch, one thing I noticed in particular that the threads when removing the battery compartment have INCREDIBLY smooth action. And in event of a zombie apocalypse you’ll have a flashlight that will take any AA battery you find laying around. I may venture to try a 14500 battery at some point but the Eneloop on turbo (4th setting) really does put down a lot of light, so I’m not in any sort of rush.

Two other notes, the Strobe is pretty easy to learn so if you have to use it for self defense; its very accessible with 2 quick taps, and you will hit strobe every-time whether the light is on or off. Also the memory works fantastic too, so if you leave it in high its in high mode when you turn it back on (also great for self defense as well).

Overall this is the best $40.00 i’ve spent in a while. Its probably the most expensive flashlight I’ve bought prior to this I’ve only had crummy nebo & ebay-amazon-generic cree flashlights. And It has absolutely been worth every penny! Xtar has won me over!

The only mild disappointment was the difficulty of finding these, I had to order it on ebay (new), I guess I just get spoiled with ordering with Amazon Prime though!

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4841
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Cool

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

NDMstr wrote:
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent review. I bought one earlier this week specifically because of reading this review and it just arrived today. This is by far the best EDC flashlight I’ve ever owned.

I’ve been using it with the Eneloop XX 2400mah AA, and I wont really get a true opportunity to test it till tonight. But this review hits everything spot on, its small, lightweight. The quality is top notch, one thing I noticed in particular that the threads when removing the battery compartment have INCREDIBLY smooth action. And in event of a zombie apocalypse you’ll have a flashlight that will take any AA battery you find laying around. I may venture to try a 14500 battery at some point but the Eneloop on turbo (4th setting) really does put down a lot of light, so I’m not in any sort of rush.

Two other notes, the Strobe is pretty easy to learn so if you have to use it for self defense; its very accessible with 2 quick taps, and you will hit strobe every-time whether the light is on or off. Also the memory works fantastic too, so if you leave it in high its in high mode when you turn it back on (also great for self defense as well).

Overall this is the best $40.00 i’ve spent in a while. Its probably the most expensive flashlight I’ve bought prior to this I’ve only had crummy nebo & ebay-amazon-generic cree flashlights. And It has absolutely been worth every penny! Xtar has won me over!

The only mild disappointment was the difficulty of finding these, I had to order it on ebay (new), I guess I just get spoiled with ordering with Amazon Prime though!

You’ve been using it a few days. Are you happy with it?, I did not get out of my pocket 8)

BanglaBob
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 10/11/2010 - 23:09
Posts: 928
Location: The Little Red Dot

Thanks for a terrific review, Trevi_lux. In my country there is a local distributor for Xtar lights and I’ve already ordered the WK40.
However, after reading your review I may have to buy the WK41 as well :8).

Lights out! That's when things get interesting...

NDMstr
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 07/12/2013 - 17:08
Posts: 2
Location: East Coast

I am 99% happy with it, only one pretty minor complaint (see cons)

Pros

  • Excellent Durability, Dropped it once and it hardly left a mark, all you can see is a few very fine nics (truly an anodized finish, no cheapo flake off paint here)
  • Excellent beam pattern, its VERY wide spread maybe better described as spill in this case( at about 15-20 feet, its enough to illuminate a majority of a 50 foot wide lawn) However this is exactly what you want, In my experience from retrofitting HID Projectors into automative headlight housings you want beam spread, because if beams are too narrow its difficult for your vision to focus on anything other than whats directly under the focus of the beam. I think this beam pattern with focus in the middle and nice wide spill/spread to the sides is ideal because it gives you a great compromise between a bright single beam, and a wider coverage.
  • Beam Does not have the ability to focus, which is a pro in my opinion because its so annoying to deal with focusing a flashlight that is an EDC, shouldnt ever be needed, and the spread on this beam is perfect!
  • Excellent Battery life with the Eneloop XX, and the low battery warning is awesome, I’ve never had it completely die on me because of that one feature. I just swap to a fresh battery when that red light lets me know its that time again.
  • It still gets me every time how smooth the threading is when I replace the battery, LOVE IT!

Cons

  • C-Clip belt/pocket clip: This is my ONLY gripe and its pretty minor, just something I noticed when the clip has fallen off once on me, and I simply I herd it fall from the clank on the road and noticed right away though. You can see it pretty well in the image below(just a crop of one of the above pictures you took), the clip is a c-clip based design, so it can pop right off with enough pressure in the right direction. Dont get me wrong its not “easy” to pop off and takes a good amount of pressure, but its doable by accident. The only thing I’d lose is the clip itself (not the flashlight), since I keep the flashlight tucked into my pocket clipping onto the edge of it. So not like its a major crisis or anything, just something to be aware of.

If the C-Clip gives me any trouble aside from what happened already I may try to design one up in CAD to get 3D Printed, maybe something with a screw/set screw based fastner printed in stainless steel. But for now its only fallen off once(which I’m hoping was just an odd unlikely scenario), which I can deal with, its really only a problem if it starts regularly falling off(If that ever happens I’d definitely post an update as well).

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 642
Location: Shenzhen
BanglaBob wrote:
Thanks for a terrific review, Trevi_lux. In my country there is a local distributor for Xtar lights and I’ve already ordered the WK40. However, after reading your review I may have to buy the WK41 as well :8).

During the anniversary celebration, all products (Battery excluded) will have a discount, of course, that depends on your local dealer if he has the discount. some dealers may have not for his own will. Thanks.

xtarflashlight
xtarflashlight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 01/21/2013 - 21:25
Posts: 642
Location: Shenzhen

NDMstr wrote:
I am 99% happy with it, only one pretty minor complaint (see cons)

Pros

  • Excellent Durability, Dropped it once and it hardly left a mark, all you can see is a few very fine nics (truly an anodized finish, no cheapo flake off paint here)
  • Excellent beam pattern, its VERY wide spread maybe better described as spill in this case( at about 15-20 feet, its enough to illuminate a majority of a 50 foot wide lawn) However this is exactly what you want, In my experience from retrofitting HID Projectors into automative headlight housings you want beam spread, because if beams are too narrow its difficult for your vision to focus on anything other than whats directly under the focus of the beam. I think this beam pattern with focus in the middle and nice wide spill/spread to the sides is ideal because it gives you a great compromise between a bright single beam, and a wider coverage.
  • Beam Does not have the ability to focus, which is a pro in my opinion because its so annoying to deal with focusing a flashlight that is an EDC, shouldnt ever be needed, and the spread on this beam is perfect!
  • Excellent Battery life with the Eneloop XX, and the low battery warning is awesome, I’ve never had it completely die on me because of that one feature. I just swap to a fresh battery when that red light lets me know its that time again.
  • It still gets me every time how smooth the threading is when I replace the battery, LOVE IT!

Cons

  • C-Clip belt/pocket clip: This is my ONLY gripe and its pretty minor, just something I noticed when the clip has fallen off once on me, and I simply I herd it fall from the clank on the road and noticed right away though. You can see it pretty well in the image below(just a crop of one of the above pictures you took), the clip is a c-clip based design, so it can pop right off with enough pressure in the right direction. Dont get me wrong its not “easy” to pop off and takes a good amount of pressure, but its doable by accident. The only thing I’d lose is the clip itself (not the flashlight), since I keep the flashlight tucked into my pocket clipping onto the edge of it. So not like its a major crisis or anything, just something to be aware of.

If the C-Clip gives me any trouble aside from what happened already I may try to design one up in CAD to get 3D Printed, maybe something with a screw/set screw based fastner printed in stainless steel. But for now its only fallen off once(which I’m hoping was just an odd unlikely scenario), which I can deal with, its really only a problem if it starts regularly falling off(If that ever happens I’d definitely post an update as well).

I have read your problem, and we will take care for it. Thanks for your feedback.

kronological
kronological's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 09:23
Posts: 3042
Location: Texas

Nice review of what looks like very nice light.

No one, after lighting a lamp, puts it away in a cellar nor under a basket, but on the lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light.

My Reviews: Ma

spaceboy
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 05/12/2011 - 16:16
Posts: 438
Location: Edinburgh

Looks like a great light, I want one!

Pages