Starry Light SA-22

154 posts / 0 new
Last post
Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3725
Location: TX

Rusty Joe wrote:
*+UPDATE+* It was the retaining ring; it wasn't screwed in on mine either! I took a paperclip and screwed it down at work (not quite all the way, but enough to get the job done) and it threaded right on! It's now screwing on and sealing properly. If you're having trouble, be sure and check that.

 

That's Great....hoping this one becomes a group buy soon!

travis
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 943
Location: SoCal

I love a bargain as much as the next guy—but this light is already a great value IMHO.
Its just $24.99 from IS And others have reported using code “illumination”
for another (15%?) off , for $21.xx

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the

right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7070
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Well, my cells may not have had a full charge (but I think they did), but I just now needed to recharge my Eneloops. I could see the beam dimming. So yeah, I’m thinking that 2 hour and 20 minute run-time is complete bullocks since I haven’t really used it that much. Wouldn’t be the first time the Fl-1 standard was wrong.

Anyone else done any testing?

Eat Once a Day - Lose Weight - Feel Great!

www.omad.info

OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

Any of you lucky owners planning on doing a review of this light? It seems there is a mixed bag of comments concerning build quality and run time performance. The only forum that pops up on a google search is this thread here, so hands on experience with this light seems limited.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Someone is probably testing this light for proper review, given that folks from Blackshadow have sent one light to someone for review, Im not sure if its here at BLF or some other forum tho :D!

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2101
Location: South Aus

Does anyone know the best price on this with international shipping?

WallBuys (don’t like buying from them) has it for $27.85, is there anything cheaper?

I just want to play with it then I’ll probably give it away.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Id like to read proper review before buying it, more so, Black shadow said that someones got one item for review, so far no reviews!

Let-There-Be-Light
Let-There-Be-Light's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2014 - 19:40
Posts: 130
Location: Michigan, USA

One of my first posts on the board I mentioned I wanted an AA light that was small and bright. Someone said I needed an SA-22. Boy were they right! It’s bright as heck to me as a flood, but still can light up my back garage 80 yards out at night from inside my house through the window. I got mine from someplace called Illumination Supply or something like that. I wish it had a zoom to it, but it still lights up anything that is close enough for my old eyes to see. I’m sorry I don’t know enough, or have enough time to do one of your fancy reviews which I love, but it gets 5 of 5 stars from me for what it is. My only gripe is I wish it didn’t have dumb blinky and SOS modes.

- Joe

OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

Let-There-Be-Light wrote:
One of my first posts on the board I mentioned I wanted an AA light that was small and bright. Someone said I needed an SA-22. Boy were they right! It’s bright as heck to me as a flood, but still can light up my back garage 80 yards out at night from inside my house through the window. I got mine from someplace called Illumination Supply or something like that. I wish it had a zoom to it, but it still lights up anything that is close enough for my old eyes to see. I’m sorry I don’t know enough, or have enough time to do one of your fancy reviews which I love, but it gets 5 of 5 stars from me for what it is. My only gripe is I wish it didn’t have dumb blinky and SOS modes.

- Joe

Any beam shots would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile: I still can’t believe no one’s done a review on this light yet. Feels like it’s been talked about for a while now, even with some pictures of it standing next to the PA40, but no review… :_(

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7455
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

OrionLight wrote:
Let-There-Be-Light wrote:
One of my first posts on the board I mentioned I wanted an AA light that was small and bright. Someone said I needed an SA-22. Boy were they right! It’s bright as heck to me as a flood, but still can light up my back garage 80 yards out at night from inside my house through the window. I got mine from someplace called Illumination Supply or something like that. I wish it had a zoom to it, but it still lights up anything that is close enough for my old eyes to see. I’m sorry I don’t know enough, or have enough time to do one of your fancy reviews which I love, but it gets 5 of 5 stars from me for what it is. My only gripe is I wish it didn’t have dumb blinky and SOS modes.

- Joe

Any beam shots would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile: I still can’t believe no one’s done a review on this light yet. Feels like it’s been talked about for a while now, even with some pictures of it standing next to the PA40, but no review… :_(


there is a simple solution, have one sent to Bort and he will do a review :bigsmile:

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

Bort wrote:
OrionLight wrote:
Let-There-Be-Light wrote:
One of my first posts on the board I mentioned I wanted an AA light that was small and bright. Someone said I needed an SA-22. Boy were they right! It’s bright as heck to me as a flood, but still can light up my back garage 80 yards out at night from inside my house through the window. I got mine from someplace called Illumination Supply or something like that. I wish it had a zoom to it, but it still lights up anything that is close enough for my old eyes to see. I’m sorry I don’t know enough, or have enough time to do one of your fancy reviews which I love, but it gets 5 of 5 stars from me for what it is. My only gripe is I wish it didn’t have dumb blinky and SOS modes.

- Joe

Any beam shots would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile: I still can’t believe no one’s done a review on this light yet. Feels like it’s been talked about for a while now, even with some pictures of it standing next to the PA40, but no review… :_(


there is a simple solution, have one sent to Bort and he will do a review :bigsmile:

Maybe Calvin from IS will read this… :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I would honestly love to see a full review of this light especially since there are already reviews of the PA40 and LD40. This would most definitely be the preferred choice for us budget folk if it gives comparable performance.

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2101
Location: South Aus

Still looking for the cheapest price on this with free international shipping.

Not keen to buy from Wallbuys as 3 out of 3 orders from them the lights were DOA.

Has anyone seen it for around $27.85 or cheaper?

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3010
Location: San Antonio, TX

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

After some serious consideration, I’d advise against buying the Starry Light without taking into account its major design flaw and one other thing; the light can work well, but odds are that you will have trouble with the head screwing on. Tonight, the 3rd – yes, third – straight unit I got and resold was bad. Only, this one was so bad that not even the retaining ring could be fixed. The threads were not made well enough for even one round of use. The guy went to re-fasten the head after charging the batteries and couldn’t get it. I thought it would be a simple fix, but I have it ready now to send back to I.S. for replacement. Calvin responded fast to the situation, but be advised that this item is not without its problems.

So if you get one like this and the retaining ring issue isn’t the cause, then you’ll still have a working light, but the head will just press on and not screw down—which means it may or may not stay in place during normal use and will just pull right off.

I really love this light, but this is a besetting and serious design flaw to be made aware of.

  • Another smaller consideration:* Runtime test in high mode was completed yesterday by me. You are looking at 27:56 seconds of stable high brightness on good nimh cells. After that, the light provides an additional 10 minutes of fastly diminishing output (diminishing thereafter to nothing). This was with my best (and only worthwhile Energizer cells). The Eneloops test has not been done (yet), but of the 3 people I sold these units to, all ended up recharging them with merely sporadic use—same as my Energizers when they were using Eneloops. So you can expect no more than, say, 40 minutes on high (far from the claimed 2+ hours).

  • Mild flickering issue also found: This was, however, a one-time thing and I can’t get it to do it again. Just FYI.

Eat Once a Day - Lose Weight - Feel Great!

www.omad.info

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Ugh, thanks, Rusty Joe!

So much for all that excitement :D!

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3725
Location: TX

Wow..how disappointinig...  ::(

Thanks RJ for the heads up.

OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

Wow… that really is disappointing. When you say the threads were not made well enough for even one round of use, do you mean that the plastic body threads were worn down by the aluminum head threads? Or were they just not aligned to begin with? The 30 min runtime on high is also a big disappointment. I wonder how their prediction or test would have yielded over 2 hours… This would’ve been my new light to try out on the next camping trip. Guess I’ll be sticking with my Convoy on the next trip…

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3010
Location: San Antonio, TX
OrionLight wrote:
Wow… that really is disappointing. When you say the threads were not made well enough for even one round of use, do you mean that the plastic body threads were worn down by the aluminum head threads? Or were they just not aligned to begin with? The 30 min runtime on high is also a big disappointment. I wonder how their prediction or test would have yielded over 2 hours… This would’ve been my new light to try out on the next camping trip. Guess I’ll be sticking with my Convoy on the next trip…

I think the second. The threads are not very thick and just don’t catch well. I mentioned this when first plugging this light, but once the retaining issue was handled, I figured that would be the end of it. Well, I was wrong. As far as the runtime test results, I think they combined the capacity of the four Eneloops and figured on a steady 2.8 amp draw. No matter. They were certainly off by a large number.

But I learned something from this (and it should be a lesson to all reviewers here): Never utter anything beyond simple yeh or neh “first impressions” when getting a new light. It is a bad idea to recommend or condemn a light within just hours or days of getting it. The novelty of a thing can get to all of us and cloud our judgment, but time also has a way of factoring into our estimation of a thing’s value — and so it should!

Eat Once a Day - Lose Weight - Feel Great!

www.omad.info

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Youre right about that, Rusty Joe!

Ive come to the same conclusion myself in similar fashion – NiteCore i4 V2 turned out to be real crap, missing termination with AAA cells, fragile power cord that broke near the chargers plug and it wasnt even abused, totaly not worth the money.

I wonder if your report has something to do with fact that there is still no real review done by a person, who, according to BlackShadow, was supposed to receive review sample. That person either reported similar faults as you and they pulled the review or, which is also as plausbile as first scenario – this light wasnt evern sent out to anybody to avoid harsh criticism in reviews :D!

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3627
Location: Finland

4xAA, 880lm => doing the math, 40min runtime on high sounds pretty normal to me.

Now the real question is: Are the lower modes usable, or with bad PWM?

Ps. We are still working with Ric to get a BLF edition of this light with better modes, memory, high PWM, and NW emitter.. But is the build quality so bad that we should stop the GB before it's even started?

=the=

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7455
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

the wrote:

4xAA, 880lm => doing the math, 40min runtime on high sounds pretty normal to me.

Now the real question is: Are the lower modes usable, or with bad PWM?

Ps. We are still working with Ric to get a BLF edition of this light with better modes, memory, high PWM, and NW emitter.. But is the build quality so bad that we should stop the GB before it’s even started?


the thread issue is bothering me, but i didn’t know about this effort, is there a thread?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3627
Location: Finland

Bort wrote:
_the_ wrote:

Ps. We are still working with Ric to get a BLF edition of this light with better modes, memory, high PWM, and NW emitter.. But is the build quality so bad that we should stop the GB before it's even started?

i didn't know about this effort, is there a thread?

Now there is: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/28859

=the=

 

OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

I couldn’t resist the price for this 4*AA light with high lumens. I decided to take my chances with the head threading in hopes that I would be lucky. I should be getting it any day now. I don’t have the equipment to give it a proper review, but I’ll do my best to provide you guys with as many beam shots and pictures as possible.

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2101
Location: South Aus

OrionLight wrote:
I couldn’t resist the price for this 4*AA light with high lumens. I decided to take my chances with the head threading in hopes that I would be lucky. I should be getting it any day now. I don’t have the equipment to give it a proper review, but I’ll do my best to provide you guys with as many beam shots and pictures as possible.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

OrionLight wrote:
I couldn’t resist the price for this 4*AA light with high lumens. I decided to take my chances with the head threading in hopes that I would be lucky. I should be getting it any day now. I don’t have the equipment to give it a proper review, but I’ll do my best to provide you guys with as many beam shots and pictures as possible.

This would be awesome, looking forward!

Good review doesnt have to be with scientific battery runtimes and lux output measurement and tailcap measurement of amp draw :D!

Post what YOU like about this light and if beamshots are possible, then what else could we ask :D? Unless you have some other known lights to compare, then beamshots with those lights would be welcome too :D!

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7070
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

I'm gonna need  reviews/ reports from multiple sources before I'll even consider thinking about buying this light . 

Whoever said " because illumination supply sold it .. meant it was a good light" was talking crazy .

Even causing Calvin to pop in and  try to indemnify himself from that idea .

This light imo has gotten way too much good press without anyone even having sufficiently testing it . the Jetbeam pa40's were closed out all over the internet at 30$ and didn't get this much attention .

Rusty Joe above says he's gotten 3 bad ones ?? 3 out of 3 ?? and everyone seems to want to ignore his warnings?

sounds like a  trainwreck . 

* Orionlight I look forward to your feedback 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Ejected Filament
Ejected Filament's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2013 - 04:29
Posts: 2343
Location: Qld, Australia

nvm

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Boaz wrote:

I’m gonna need  reviews/ reports from multiple sources before I’ll even consider thinking about buying this light . 

Whoever said “ because illumination supply sold it .. meant it was a good light” was talking crazy .

Even causing Calvin to pop in and  try to indemnify himself from that idea .

This light imo has gotten way too much good press without anyone even having sufficiently testing it . the Jetbeam pa40’s were closed out all over the internet at 30$ and didn’t get this much attention .

Rusty Joe above says he’s gotten 3 bad ones ?? 3 out of 3 ?? and everyone seems to want to ignore his warnings?

sounds like a  trainwreck . 

* Orionlight I look forward to your feedback 


When and where did you see PA40 for 30$ :D?
OrionLight
OrionLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 404

I thought about making this a new thread, but I honestly don’t have enough info to call a full review, so I’ll just call it a mini and stick it in here. I’m only going to post pictures of stuff you already haven’t seen. The pictures of the holster and lanyard are everywhere so I’ll spare you all. I apologize in advance… I don’t have the nicest camera so I was limited on what I could do manually with the settings.

Here is a picture of the body and threading. It was pretty lubed up when I got it. Almost too much. I had to clean it up a bit and lube the O-ring a little, but other than that, it was fine.

Here is a close up of the threads. Again, super-lubed.

Here is the head where the battery contacts are made. As you can see there are two distinct contact points, the one with the black ring around it being the positive contact. There are also cuts on the outter edge in two different sizes to make sure you are inserting the head into the body the right way.

Here’s what I mean. Notice the diagram showing which way to insert the batteries and then the “guide rails” built into the body to fit nicely with the head. It took some time to see what all this stuff was for, but it works fine for what it is. It probably could have had a better design, but I like not having a separate flimsy battery holder like some of the other 4AA lights.

Unfortunately, there were some blemishes on the reflector. Looks like tiny dimples that were accidentally made. Thankfully, you don’t see this affecting the beam.

Here’s a head on shot.

The PWM on low is pretty noticeable when doing this kind of stuff or aiming it at a moving ceiling fan, but to people who aren’t easily susceptible to this, it’s not a big deal at all.

Here’s a shot at a wall from about 1.5 meters away. It looks much more ringy in the picture than it does in person.

And finally, here are my outdoor beam shots compiled into a collage. The top collage is the Starry Light and the bottom collage is the Convoy C8. I figured that just about everyone here has a version of this light so it’s the easiest to compare with as a common denominator. The C8 pics were done with a slightly different setting but you get the idea.
Starry Light

Convoy C8

Conclusion:
So far, here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
-Super bright light
-Great throw
-Surprisingly floodier than I expected (could be a con for some people)
-Uses AAs
-High quality holster and lanyard (really, not just saying it. The holster is beautiful. Holster has a D-ring too)

Cons:
-Gets hot and doesn’t seem to dissipate the heat as well as my Convoy C8
-Takes some getting used to with screwing on the head, though my experience hasn’t been like Rusty Joe’s. (thankfully, I guess I got lucky)
-Run times are lower than expected. I estimated about 40 mins on high before it goes out. 25 mins and you’ll notice it dimming.
-PWM is slow

After everything, I’m fairly happy with it. It’s a great alternative to my C8 and I don’t have to worry about ridiculous battery management like I do when handling 18650s. I pop in my Eneloops and I’m good to go. I also prefer the wider spill in the beam pattern and the closer to neutral tint. For $25, it’s a pretty good buy for a 4AA light. Can’t speak to reliability yet, but I’ll be sure to report anything if something comes up. Now… If they could SOMEHOW make this in an all aluminum casing…

B25364
B25364's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/16/2014 - 17:50
Posts: 97

LOL what a piece of junk. Because: Chinese Plastic. LOL how long before the plastic disintegrates. This will be a two dollar light within 6 months. Chinese plastic crumbles like dust. Plastic threads against metal threads = crumbly plastic particles. Can’t stop laughing

Pages