testing a red XP-E, and comparing it to a red XR-C, 22/4/'14: XP-E2 results added in post #32

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8679
Location: Berkeley, California

Any special tips or best advice on doing the soldering of these little tiny emitters onto a Sinkpad?
Those contacts are only separated by a hair. I’ve seen OldLumens’ video of doing it by heating the Sinkpad from below with a soldering iron, and I’ve seen someone’s of slowly heating it in a frying pan on a stove.

I’ve got an infrared thermometer, so I can manage temperature control — in theory.
But I wish I had a hot air gun I could set to the right temperature and heat from the top instead of underneath. I think.

Fritz t. Cat
Fritz t. Cat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:33
Posts: 2535
Location: Si Valley

A propane torch turned very low worked for me.

Flashlight designers should look at lighthouses and pottery.
这些谁设计的手电筒应该看灯塔,以及在陶器。

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8679
Location: Berkeley, California

Hm. Well, as I said above I’d dropped in that XR-E amber from Fasttech, just straight swap for the one that came in the light.
Stock driver.

(Didn’t glue it in in, just pressed it down snug with the plastic washer, same as the original emitter, silly of me, I should at least have tried Fujik goop)

Last night — for the first time — I ran it for about 15 minutes straight on high level, ceiling bounce.
It got pretty warm, but no noticeable problem with it.

Today it started to flicker (with a NiZN 1.8v cell); switched to a 1.2v Eneloop and the flicker went away, but then the brightness dropped drastically, went back to bright, went dim again, cycled a few more times and it’s dead.

So, I guess I overdrove/overheated it. Should’ve

This is a hollow pill light, the emitter just sits on a rim inside; I’m puzzling how to improve on that.

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

hank wrote:
Hm. Well, as I said above I’d dropped in that XR-E amber from Fasttech, just straight swap for the one that came in the light.
Stock driver.

(Didn’t glue it in in, just pressed it down snug with the plastic washer, same as the original emitter, silly of me, I should at least have tried Fujik goop)

Last night — for the first time — I ran it for about 15 minutes straight on high level, ceiling bounce.
It got pretty warm, but no noticeable problem with it.

Today it started to flicker (with a NiZN 1.8v cell); switched to a 1.2v Eneloop and the flicker went away, but then the brightness dropped drastically, went back to bright, went dim again, cycled a few more times and it’s dead.

So, I guess I overdrove/overheated it. Should’ve

This is a hollow pill light, the emitter just sits on a rim inside; I’m puzzling how to improve on that.

Maybe it’s “just” a dead driver. I put that in quotes because the 15mm drivers these things come with seem to cost as much as a whole SK68 on eBay (~$4). Grab your DMM and put it on diode test mode (triangular diode symbol w/ line, use Google if unsure). Check the emitter with that.

Seems more likely to me that it’s either a physical problem or a bad driver than the emitter dying from heat in this config.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

penumbra
penumbra's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 11/10/2013 - 16:32
Posts: 475
Location: benelux

@wight not amber but red xpe2 they sell on noctigon

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

penumbra wrote:
@wight not amber but red xpe2 they sell on noctigon
I’m not sure what you are saying.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8679
Location: Berkeley, California

Belated answer, one I had trouble with had melted its plastic battery carrier so the wires disconnected. Overdriven, uh, yeah.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8679
Location: Berkeley, California

Belatedly,

Oooh:

Quote:
We produce in stripes which means that you can order a stripe of 10pcs where 10 Rebel are placed on 10 PCBs next to each other (see pictury gallery). By setting a simple soldering bridge you can give series connection to them and have easily developed your own 10cm long and 10mm wide Rebel PCB useable with most common mouting profiles.

https://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Luxeon/Luxeon-REBEL/Luxeon-REBEL-on-PCB-LT-1012_49_85.html
KevinZA1988
KevinZA1988's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 02/26/2018 - 02:26
Posts: 758
Location: South Africa

I know I’m a few years late, but what’s the maximum safe continuous current for the XP-E red? I have 6x AMC Biscotti driver but I think I might have to remove an AMC chip or two…

Armytek Prime C1 Pro, Armytek Prime C2 Pro, Armytek Tiara C1 Pro, Astrolux MF01 Mini, BLF Q8, BLF A6, BLF FW1A, BLF FW3A, BLF FW3C, BLF LT1, Convoy L6, Convoy C8+ , Convoy S3, Convoy M21A, Convoy S11, Emisar D4, Fireflies E07, Jaxman E2L, Lumintop EDC18, Manta Ray C8.2 long version, Olight S1R Baton II special edition series, S2R Baton II, Nitecore HC65, Olight H1R Nova.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JaJaDv4V838AEJf39

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 96
Location: EU

KevinZA1988 wrote:
I know I’m a few years late, but what’s the maximum safe continuous current for the XP-E red? I have 6x AMC Biscotti driver but I think I might have to remove an AMC chip or two…

I also got these Red X-PE from FT,plain to put one with stock driver sk68 and s2+.
But they have low Forward Voltage not sure if AMC driver is adapt for these Leds
maybe member with more experience can help

Pages