Home Depot Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

2587 posts / 0 new
Last post
poiihy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2015 - 22:24
Posts: 510

dchomak wrote:

I missed this deal, 10 cents on the dollar.


hey I think I saw that.
staticx57
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2016 - 00:43
Posts: 683
Location: New Jersey, United States

dchomak wrote:
staticx57 wrote:
Thanks for the tip There were some others that look just like this but we’re plug in not hardware that were not a penny.
!{width:100%}http://i.imgur.com/TWFjv3f.jpg!

Good find. See, it can be done.

I see you got that in New Jersey. I need to start looking out for those.
C’Mon, a debit card? Silly
Next time use a penny, will ya? Big Smile

I admit it, I was wholly unprepared to actually find it. I have been stalking this thread for a while now, finally got around to actually getting out in the field. Innocent

radioshaq
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2015 - 02:26
Posts: 312

are all the dewalt sets marked down? i think i have seen the 30, 45, and 32 bit sets around but didn’t think they were down to a penny..

dchomak wrote:

Here is why I can’t stop buying the bit sets. The holder with bits can be bought for less than the empty holder!



tekwyzrd
tekwyzrd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2015 - 01:15
Posts: 1160
Location: Northeastern Ohio
poiihy wrote:
textileRef:4134820765df605e63f6dd:linkStartMarker:“Look what I found at Dollar Tree! !{width:33%}https://i.imgur.com/irBgEen.jpg!”:http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47222

The best deal on cfl I found were ge 13w (60w equivalent) $9.99 for a 10 pack at Marc’s. In a light I kept on 24/7/365 it lasted over two years. Still using bulbs purchased ten years ago throughout the house. Even with a computer with a 1000w power supply (built with capacity for 8 drives and 3 video cards) constantly running the electric bill is never over $40 – last month was less than $30.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. – Douglas Adams

poiihy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2015 - 22:24
Posts: 510

That’s nothing; it is common to find CFLs for 50¢, 20¢, 10¢, or 0¢.

lichan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 396
Location: Oklahoma City

Time to bring this thread back to life from the depths of page 9. I picked up two of the 800 Lumen Husky LED Work Lights over lunch today for a penny a piece! Can’t post a pic until later.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut
lichan wrote:
Time to bring this thread back to life from the depths of page 9. I picked up two of the 800 Lumen Husky LED Work Lights over lunch today for a penny a piece! Can’t post a pic until later.

That’ll do it!

On June 8th I shot this pic. Someone had placed these out of the way behind some other stuff. I know which store this is, my cell camera recorded the location. There is a chance these went unnoticed…….

lichan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 396
Location: Oklahoma City

I saw those Hampton Bay 3-Light Vanity fixtures for $15.03. It looks like there are at least 5 work lights in that picture!

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

lichan wrote:
I saw those Hampton Bay 3-Light Vanity fixtures for $15.03. It looks like there are at least 5 work lights in that picture!
See how poorly maintained the store is ? Those same lights are still tagged at $56 Great opportunity for any deals !

I plan to visit that store today. I will post the results.
BTW, I have scored other penny deals in the mean time. I will post those too, plus a bit of frustration I had at the self checkout. Shocked

lichan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 396
Location: Oklahoma City

Besides the opportunity to get some great deals at Home Depot, this thread has redeemed the lowly penny in my viewpoint. I used to ignore pennies I would see while taking my dogs for their walk. Not now! It’s a point of pride to not even pay the penny out of my earned money. I have found 13 cents on recent walks and used 5 for penny purchases so I am still 8 cents ahead! I’m just a modern-day hunter-gatherer.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

My top 5 reasons for picking up a penny.

1. It could be a “lucky” penny.

2. It could be the penny in your pocket that keeps you from getting 4 more back in change.

3. It’s good to stay limber, the stretch will do you good.

4. Don’t be so cavalier about a penny, it could progress later to dollars and more.

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know

Of course as lichan points out, it could be useful at Home Depot for when you find a penny deal.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7455
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

dchomak wrote:

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know


What is the tax rate on 1 penny?

I’ve never understood this preoccupation with taxes, services cost money AND tax rates are not at all crippling.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7918
Location: SC

dchomak wrote:
My top 5 reasons for picking up a penny.

1. It could be a “lucky” penny.

2. It could be the penny in your pocket that keeps you from getting 4 more back in change.

3. It’s good to stay limber, the stretch will do you good.

4. Don’t be so cavalier about a penny, it could progress later to dollars and more.

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know

Of course as lichan points out, it could be useful at Home Depot for when you find a penny deal.

Very good dcho lettermak, but you lose flasholic points for #1. It should have been:

1. It could be a pre-1982 penny and contain enough copper to fill an open pill

Please turn on 10 flashlights simultaneously (no dirty comments folks) and recite the BLF rules one time.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

Bort wrote:
dchomak wrote:

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know


What is the tax rate on 1 penny?

I’ve never understood this preoccupation with taxes, services cost money AND tax rates are not at all crippling.

Oh yes they ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When taxes are too high it creates a disincentive to earn money. And those that can do, do not need an abundance of services anyway. To those that can’t do, the government with all their services creates another disincentive to earn money.
When taxes are too high, it’s bad for EVERYBODY.
If the government was IN business and had to compete in a business climate, they would have been OUT of business long ago.
BTW, my Social Security check I get each month barely covers the monthly property tax bill on our house. Think about that one for awhile. And that is not even an income tax, nor is it a Federal Tax. Then there are the State Income taxes, sales tax, service taxes etc, etc, etc,
And you don’t understand the preoccupation with taxes?

As a coincidence, just today I received a letter from the IRS. They think I earned $4000 more than I reported. (I didn’t and I’ll easily prove that) but the extra tax on that would have been $1504.00. And IF I really did owe that, there would be another bill right behind that with penalties and late fees.
Can’t make a go of it and the government is your friend.
Try as hard as you can to make a go of it and the government will try and beat you down.
Just my opinion and experience.

BTW, there is a saying. “A penny saved is a penny earned” BUT THAT’S NOT TRUE!

I say “A penny saved is a penny earned, TAX FREE
And that can be worth much more than a penny. Wink

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

ImA4Wheelr wrote:
dchomak wrote:
My top 5 reasons for picking up a penny.

1. It could be a “lucky” penny.

2. It could be the penny in your pocket that keeps you from getting 4 more back in change.

3. It’s good to stay limber, the stretch will do you good.

4. Don’t be so cavalier about a penny, it could progress later to dollars and more.

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know

Of course as lichan points out, it could be useful at Home Depot for when you find a penny deal.

Very good dcho lettermak, but you lose flasholic points for #1. It should have been:

1. It could be a pre-1982 penny and contain enough copper to fill an open pill

Please turn on 10 flashlights simultaneously (no dirty comments folks) and recite the BLF rules one time.

Boy, if I could have come up with 5 more, I could be on David Letterman.
Too late, he is retired.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7455
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

dchomak wrote:
Bort wrote:
dchomak wrote:

5. (my favorite and most important) It’s tax free income, the IRS doesn’t know


What is the tax rate on 1 penny?

I’ve never understood this preoccupation with taxes, services cost money AND tax rates are not at all crippling.

Oh yes they ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When taxes are too high it creates a disincentive to earn money. And those that can do, do not need an abundance of services anyway. To those that can’t do, the government with all their services creates another disincentive to earn money.
When taxes are too high, it’s bad for EVERYBODY.


What tax rate do you consider too high?
At what income level do you start paying income tax? I’m sure its different in the US vs Canada.
How do you feel about companies like Google who have paid tax rates of 2.4%, meaning you have to make up the difference?

dchomak wrote:

As a coincidence, just today I received a letter from the IRS. They think I earned $4000 more than I reported. (I didn’t and I’ll easily prove that) but the extra tax on that would have been $1504.00. And IF I really did owe that, there would be another bill right behind that with penalties and late fees.

If your total income was 4k a year what would your income tax rate be?
How do you feel about congress blocking any action to cut subsidies on oil companies that are among the most profitable companies on earth?
I’m not saying i like taxes, nobody likes taxes, but they serve a purpose, they are not evil incarnate.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

lichan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 396
Location: Oklahoma City

All I know is that in my area I can buy up to 5 penny items at a time at Home Depot without incurring any sales tax, which is nice.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

A couple of days ago I came across this. In the center with no pricing are 18 of the bright white LED spot lights for the Wink over the internet control system.

These bulbs have circuitry that connect them to a Wink hub thru local WiFi so that they can be turned on and off and even dimmed with the companion Wink app from a smart phone, anywhere over the internet. I have several wink hubs at different houses and they are really handy.
Just about a month ago these bulbs hit the “3” price, marked down from $24.97.

Now, here they are a month later, not priced and in a clearance section. So I brought one up and checked the price, a penny.
So I bought that and put it in the car and went back in and got 3 more and a couple of other odds and ends.


I paid for those and left the area, headed to another HD across town figuring I would return in about an hour and finish clearing out the store of it’s 14 other bulbs.
This time when I returned I grabbed a tray of 4 bulbs, another of the 4 packs of wire wheels and this plug in rechargeable flashlight. Even though it is marked at $7.56, they were scanning at $2.53

I first scanned and bought the wire wheels and the flashlight but when I scanned the first of 4 LED bulbs, the “Please see Attendant” notice came up on the display. I quickly placed the bulb in it’s tray and put the tray on the floor and pushed it away with my foot. The attendant came over and helped me check out with what I had already rung up and I left. After going to the car I immediately came back in and grabbed the tray of bulbs on the floor and brought them back to it’s display.
At that time I had thought that somehow it was noticed that those bulbs were ringing up at a penny and they were removed from the system, but I had to make sure. So I brought one back up along with a couple of other possible penny items to check. As I was checking the girl noticed that yes it did scan for a penny and came over. She allowed me to buy that one light and printed a duplicate slip so that their hound dogs could locate and remove the rest of the lights.
So I ended up with 5 of the possible 18 at that store.

Here is a couple of other penny items I found.

The Malibu pathway light I could see from a mile away. Malibu went bankrupt and HD cleared all stock out a couple of months ago. I knew this would go for a penny.

Here are some other “3” prices I saw that may be of interest.




This is a 3 pack! of 14” Masonry Diamond Blades. These blades go for $100 each and here is a 3 pack for $50

These 2 air compressors went on clearance. The one on the left was regularly $180 and they cleared them out at $45. The one on the right was $129 and cleared out at $33

poiihy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2015 - 22:24
Posts: 510

I could use some of that ˙ʇɥƃᴉɹ ǝpɐW ˙ʇɥƃᴉ˥ ɹǝʇʇǝq

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut
poiihy wrote:
I could use some of that ˙ʇɥƃᴉɹ ǝpɐW ˙ʇɥƃᴉ˥ ɹǝʇʇǝq

We have seen that “ʇɥƃᴉɹ ǝpɐW ˙ʇɥƃᴉ˥ ɹǝʇʇǝq” before. Silly


These are LED direct replacements for 4’ florescent tubes. They were priced at $5.03 but this last store they were still marked at $15.00.
I wonder if by now they would be a penny????
I never considered that Shocked

¡ʇɥƃᴉɹq ǝq ɹǝʇʇǝq ʇI
Oh wait, it’s not!
it’s 5000K DIMM Big Smile

EDIT:
I almost forgot, I missed another “Happy Light” deal.
First there was this.

and now I missed this.

I also now see yellow LED bug lights on sale.

And here is an example of how sometimes HD over prices stuff, and how they can sometimes sell stuff on clearance at the “3” price and still be happy about it.
The other day I was doing some copper pipe plumbing and wore out my fitting brush. When I was in HD I came across this and groaned out loud when I saw the price.

A plumber who was standing nearby heard me and asked me what the problem was. I showed him the price and told him NO WAY that tool is worth that. He suggested I go down the street to Harbor Freight, they had the SAME EXACT TOOL for $2. So that’s what I did. I used a 20% off coupon to get it for $1.60 and another coupon to get a free 25’ tape measure.
Same exact tool, only it’s blue, not grey. What’s in my hand cost $1.60

“You get what you pay for”

Yeah, right Sick

BTW, when I went to my tool bag to replace my plumbing brush, IT WAS BLUE!!!!!!
That last one I bought, I got at Harbor Freight. No dummy here. Wink

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 682
Location: Carolinas, USA

radioshaq wrote:
are all the dewalt sets marked down? i think i have seen the 30, 45, and 32 bit sets around but didn’t think they were down to a penny..
dchomak wrote:



Hey man! Are you holding out on us or am I just late noticing this? That receipt shows a MARCH date on it! I printed the picture and am going hunting at lunch! I probably just missed it when you posted it the first time. I’m taking change just in case.

Lazy-R-us

radioshaq
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2015 - 02:26
Posts: 312
lichan wrote:
All I know is that in my area I can buy up to 5 penny items at a time at Home Depot without incurring any sales tax, which is nice.

haha – wow so you have figured out the exact number Smile i was wondering where homedepot drew their tax line. when i found those 7 maglites, i had to pay tax. but on times when i had just 1 or 2 penny items, no tax. so 5 is the magic number.

lichan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/16/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 396
Location: Oklahoma City
radioshaq wrote:
haha – wow so you have figured out the exact number Smile i was wondering where homedepot drew their tax line. when i found those 7 maglites, i had to pay tax. but on times when i had just 1 or 2 penny items, no tax. so 5 is the magic number.

It depends on your local tax rate and how many items it takes to go to half a penny or more because it rounds up. Take .5 and divide by your local tax rate in decimals and round down for the maximum number of penny deals without tax. My local sales tax is 8.375% (it changes depending on metropolitan district around here), so .5/.08375 = 5.970149… So 5 is the most items I can buy before the calculated sales tax goes above half a penny and will round up to a penny.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

Only a true BLF’er would go thru the self checkout twice to save the extra penny! Big Smile

Earlier in this thread I repeated an experience I had way back when I was too nieve to know how the penny deals worked. In one of the end caps I actually found 2 nice table lamps marked at a penny. I got a cart and grabbed them both, on the way up to the registers, not self checkout, I found a CFL bulb also marked at a penny. Ahhhh, the good old days!
Anyway, when I got to the register I coyly told the checkout lady that “I won’t be paying any sales tax on these purchases” She looked up at me and politely exclaimed that if I was tax exempt, I would have to show her the paperwork. To that I said “I won’t need any paper work”
Well she scanned each item again and again until she realized that they were each priced at a penny each. Then she looked up at me a sweetly said “that will be 3 cents, SIR. I reached into my front pocket and pulled out a nickel and 2 pennies. We stood there looking at the coins in my hand when I blurted out “Blast it all, I’m going to have to break a nickel on this purchase” The customer behind me must have been taking this all in ‘cause he offered me the extra penny!
All three of us laughed like crazy and I left with my very first penny deal. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago. Back then I had no idea how this stuff works.
My wife uses one of the 2 lamps in the bedroom, the second one I stuck in a corner of the basement. I just checked the date on the tag and there is none????? But even back then they were doing the “3” price (75% off) just before they went to a penny.

Hey Garry, are you surprised I have a corner in the basement? Big Smile Big Smile

poiihy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2015 - 22:24
Posts: 510
dchomak wrote:
And here is an example of how sometimes HD over prices stuff, and how they can sometimes sell stuff on clearance at the “3” price and still be happy about it. The other day I was doing some copper pipe plumbing and wore out my fitting brush. When I was in HD I came across this and groaned out loud when I saw the price. A plumber who was standing nearby heard me and asked me what the problem was. I showed him the price and told him NO WAY that tool is worth that. He suggested I go down the street to Harbor Freight, they had the SAME EXACT TOOL for $2. So that’s what I did. I used a 20% off coupon to get it for $1.60 and another coupon to get a free 25’ tape measure. Same exact tool, only it’s blue, not grey. What’s in my hand cost $1.60 “You get what you pay for” Yeah, right Sick BTW, when I went to my tool bag to replace my plumbing brush, IT WAS BLUE!!!!!! That last one I bought, I got at Harbor Freight. No dummy here. Wink

Plumbing stuff tends to be over-priced for some reason… sometimes ridiculously overpriced. (what happened to the face with squiggly mouth emoticon?)
Overall, electrical stuff is a lot cheaper than plumbing stuff. Look at PVC electric conduit and compare it to PVC plumbing pipe. (They are the same size but the conduit is cheaper, also it is sunlight resistant.) Electrical receptacles 50¢ each, switches 60¢ each, wall plates 20¢ each, wall boxes 25¢ each, Big Smile
I used to do electrical stuff but then when I went into the plumbing stuff, I was shocked with the higher prices…

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6050
Location: Johnstown, PA
dchomak wrote:
Hey Garry, are you surprised I have a corner in the basement? Big Smile Big Smile

Yes, very surprised!

I was at Home Depot Wednesday and Thursday – nothing that great found, though I did pickup a pancake air compressor clearanced at $39.

Oh, and I bought the HF Battery brush years ago to use for plumbing work too!

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

I just got back from traveling the 24 miles to the nearest HD over the State line to Massachusetts. I made the trip to see if they still had the Wink light bulbs and were they a penny or still at the “3” price.
They were still out, but they still scan at the 3 price. Here is a pic of what they had and also they had the “Better Light, Made Right bulbs. Up there they are $21.00.

I really lucked out, I found the very last twin tank compressor in the whole area. It was up in the over head.
I didn’t think to shoot the picture while it was still up there. The guys there were very surprised they had one left (like I believe that!) It was up there because some employee wanted it. Wink

Also up there, the Black and Decker Power to Go that went on clearance here for 20.03 is a NEW item. Price is $69.97

Cree bulbs are 97 cents

Across the street at Dollar Tree, they have LED blubs too, an even $1

And even stranger than that, right next door to Dollar Tree there is a GoodWill store. LED bulbs are $2! there Big Smile

My excuse for taking the afternoon off and going up that way was because my accountant is up there and I had the papers proving my innocence with the IRS. He wasn’t in his office, but that was OK. The real reason I made the trip was to check out that HD Wink

radioshaq
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2015 - 02:26
Posts: 312

dchomak wrote:
Back then I had no idea how this stuff works.

Wow dchomak used to have no idea… Can’t believe such a time existed.
ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7918
Location: SC
radioshaq wrote:
dchomak wrote:
Back then I had no idea how this stuff works.
Wow dchomak used to have no idea… Can’t believe such a time existed.

Just think back to a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth . . .

Wink

SawMaster
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 05/03/2015 - 17:18
Posts: 1802
Location: SC USA

Bort wrote:
dchomak wrote:
Compared to the CR2032’s from Fasttech, the Sunbeams are pure gold.
I ordered from FT and when I got them I thought they had shorted out during transit. So they sent another batch. Every one dead, both times.

More and more I am relying on local retail


I think we are getting too comfortable with no name products from chinese websites, the flashlights do well because they are simple and almost every model gets reviewed by a BLFer so we know what works and what to avoid, but the other stuff is plain garbage. Its basically dollar store rejects.

With budget primary cells you have to stick with brand names when ordering as well as finding out the expiration date. Even then I see a 10% reject rate. I bought some no-name SR41’s for my Nano and they seemed like alki LR41’s. Bought Energizer SR41’s- lots better- which conformed my doubts. Sure glad I’m not feeding that little bugger anymore, button cells get expensive!

Phil

Pages