[26-AUG-2014] BLF Rules slightly updated [UPDATED 27-AUG-2014]

40 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light
[26-AUG-2014] BLF Rules slightly updated [UPDATED 27-AUG-2014]

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a heads-up that I added two new items to the BLF Rules. All the others are still the same:

Quote:
  1. Please don't be rude.  Rude people will have their accounts deleted. 
  2. Please don't use dirty language, please don't swear, and please avoid lewd conversations.
  3. Please avoid controversial or divisive subjects such as religion and politics.
  4. Please avoid fighting. If you or somebody else is losing their calm, please drop the subject.
  5. Please don't even think about spamming this forum.  Spammers will be prosecuted.
  6. Please don't even think about using this forum for illegal activities.  Criminals will be prosecuted.
  7. You may receive notification by email of replies to certain topics.
  8. All opinions expressed by users of this website may or may not be accurate, and as such BudgetLightForum.com does not officially endorse them. BudgetLightForum.com does not encourage risky behavior, and will not be responsible for physical, emotional, financial or other damages resulting from the use or misuse of any information or misinformation expressed herein. All users are encouraged to use good judgement before making any physical, financial or other decisions based on the information or misinformation expressed on BudgetLightForum.com.
  9. Have fun.

That pretty much says it all. Constructive conversations, corrections, and polite disagreements are encouraged. But fighting is to be avoided at all costs. Whether it's you are somebody else who is getting hot under the collar, please drop the subject. It's just not worth winning an argument at the cost of disturbing the peace and offending others. And frankly, it's impossible to "win" a heated argument, because the other person won't change his/her opinion anyway. If the point of contention can't be discussed in a friendly manner, it shouldn't be discussed at all here on BLF.

Thanks to the majority of our BLF users that make a concerted effort to be peaceable. And thanks in advance to the small percentage of our users that tend to get into arguments for modifying their behavior.

[Edit: 27-AUG-2014]
I also added some boilerplate text. It's unfortunately necessary these days.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Edited by: sb56637 on 05/18/2017 - 15:30
Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 855
Location: Springport, IN

Thank you, sb! I agree, internet fighting is pointless and just upsets people. People seem even less likely to change their minds online than in a face to face encounter. Better to just all get along. Wink

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

“Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Cool

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

Legolas Jr. wrote:
People seem even less likely to change their minds online than in a face to face encounter.

Very true! Must have something to do with the fact that we can’t read the other person’s body language and facial expressions. Sometimes in a real face-to-face argument, you can tell that the other person realized they were wrong (even if they don’t say so) and you can drop the subject with a feeling that you got your point across. On the Internet, on the other hand, it’s common to beat a dead horse.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 10853
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

This new guideline is...

checkbox raccoon approved.   Smile

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3000
Location: NY,USA

sb56637 wrote:
Legolas Jr. wrote:
People seem even less likely to change their minds online than in a face to face encounter.
Very true! Must have something to do with the fact that we can't read the other person's body language and facial expressions. Sometimes in a real face-to-face argument, you can tell that the other person realized they were wrong (even if they don't say so) and you can drop the subject with a feeling that you got your point across. On the Internet, on the other hand, it's common to beat a dead horse.

Install the ImightbewrongbutI'mdigginginmyheals font!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light
Gj wrote:

sb56637 wrote:
Legolas Jr. wrote:
People seem even less likely to change their minds online than in a face to face encounter.
Very true! Must have something to do with the fact that we can’t read the other person’s body language and facial expressions. Sometimes in a real face-to-face argument, you can tell that the other person realized they were wrong (even if they don’t say so) and you can drop the subject with a feeling that you got your point across. On the Internet, on the other hand, it’s common to beat a dead horse.

Install the ImightbewrongbutI’mdigginginmyheals font!

Wink

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

Oh, and by the way, just to prevent problems in this thread, if anybody was planning on posting that meme “Fighting on the internet is like…”, please don’t. Although often good-intentioned, it’s pretty offensive and never comes off well. Smile

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3561
Location: Finland

sb56637 wrote:
Oh, and by the way, just to prevent problems in this thread, if anybody was planning on posting that meme "Fighting on the internet is like...", please don't. Although often good-intentioned, it's pretty offensive and never comes off well. :)

"Duty calls" is still ok, right?

=the=

Disclaimer: Above post might contain referral links, but only to items that I myself have bought, tested & approved. Or items that, based on my experience, can be considered as good deals & worth sharing.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light
the wrote:

sb56637 wrote:
Oh, and by the way, just to prevent problems in this thread, if anybody was planning on posting that meme “Fighting on the internet is like…”, please don’t. Although often good-intentioned, it’s pretty offensive and never comes off well. Smile

“Duty calls” is still ok, right?

Ha! I love it.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

 

Can't believe that I've stayed up this long

But my argument points are so strong

Though it's really too late

To put up with such hate

I just have to prove that guy is wrong

Laughing

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light
jacktheclipper wrote:

 

Can’t believe that I’ve stayed up this long

But my argument points are so strong

Though it’s really too late

To put up with such hate

I just have to prove that guy is wrong

Laughing

Superb! I really should post this at the foot of every single page on this site, right below the comment box. :bigsmile:

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

InfinitusEquitas
InfinitusEquitas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/06/2012 - 02:31
Posts: 1983
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC

It would help if we could just stick to this...

Of course it's easier said than done.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

@can: Good point. It is also counter-productive to defend or support either of the two sides of an argument. If a thread starts to get heated, the best way to handle it is to simply stop reading that thread and send me a PM so I can step in.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 42 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5035
Location: H-Town

You can however politely step up and say something to the effect of “cmon, we don’t need that here”

I just don’t understand the on the internet…

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 2864
Location: The Motor City

It is most disastrous to loose “ IF” one perceives a challenge, when in Fact, none exist…. :_( Sooo Can’t we all just get jiggy wid it? 0:)

KB1428 “Live Life WOT”

InfinitusEquitas
InfinitusEquitas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/06/2012 - 02:31
Posts: 1983
Location: 20 Minutes from NYC

We could, but this is more of a family oriented place Silly

Sorry, couldn't resist Shocked

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 17678
Location: Heart of Texas

Perhaps the gate has offended both dogs?

Maybe it’s electrified and they both tried marking it?

Invisible reasons that affect so many of us. I’ve gotten caught in it too. Don’t even know if I started it! Can’t remember. Tried walking away and talking about it elsewhere later. All seems well.

It does seem like the essence of the forum has been changing, can’t put my finger on just why. We do need to all remember we’re here in support of something we all like doing, and it really is that simple.

Edit: I should add that, like myself, a great many here are going through tough times with ill health and personal issues. It would seem that we have come together here in the first place because we’ve taken on this hobby as a self healing, time of peace helper…I know that’s how I use it and I know many other’s that do the same. So it’s even more important to be compassionate and forgiving as folks deal with major issues….something this life has been throwing around in heaping helpings lately.

Dale

18sixfifty
18sixfifty's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/25/2012 - 20:19
Posts: 4161

What I think happens all too often is that people come here after being on other forums and bring with them the same hostility they get from other sites. If they are continually attacked on other forums by trolls/haters etc, they get defensive and see attacks where none exist at all. So they get snippy and it just escalates. I know that more than once I have seen an insult where none existed and just about behaved the way I would on other forums. I have to remind myself that this forum is not about fighting at all.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself!!

I’m a junky, I mod lights so I can sell lights so I can buy more light to mod so I can sell lights to buy more lights to mod.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

DBCstm wrote:

Edit: I should add that, like myself, a great many here are going through tough times with ill health and personal issues. It would seem that we have come together here in the first place because we’ve taken on this hobby as a self healing, time of peace helper…I know that’s how I use it and I know many other’s that do the same. So it’s even more important to be compassionate and forgiving as folks deal with major issues….something this life has been throwing around in heaping helpings lately.

Excellent point. It’s always good to give the benefit of the doubt, especially in these difficult times. As a matter of fact, that’s why one of the BLF RULES is “Have fun.” BLF should be used for fun and recreation, I think we all have enough stress and rules and laws to follow in the outside world.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Bacon n Eggs
Bacon n Eggs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 14:03
Posts: 194
Location: Arizona

What?? no \[®¥]*%¡°\*||< cussing?? Well thats just %* great! And now I can’t tell someone Im going to %*¡¡\[° his %\]^|:!! too? Wink (——- smiley face means I’m kidding lol

I like it here, admin hats off Beer The people here are pretty awesome!
my9221
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 sec ago
Joined: 07/26/2011 - 02:18
Posts: 778
Location: United States

I like your new rules!

RaceR86
RaceR86's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 02/22/2012 - 08:32
Posts: 3777
Location: Norway

Thanks again SB. Smile


 

sb56637 wrote:

 

    8.Have fun.

 

Big Smile

 

BLF LED database – collaboration spreadsheet and latest news about where to buy LEDs
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19342

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

RaceR86 wrote:


I think you just found your new avatar! Silly

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 17678
Location: Heart of Texas

Maybe you could put a little Kittie jersey on him, give him the distinction of being number 4….looks like he might need a constant reminder…

Edit: forgot the “I’m kidding!” smiley face :bigsmile:

Dale

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6169
Location: The Light

[Edit: 27-AUG-2014]
I also added some boilerplate text. It’s unfortunately necessary these days.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10365
Location: Golden state

Maybe this thread should be stickied on the recent posts page but it seems unlikely that even this would prevent posticide.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12279
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Rufusbduck wrote:
Maybe this thread should be stickied on the recent posts page but it seems unlikely that even this would prevent posticide.

Bump.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Maybe we need a ' Rants ' sub-forum that doesn't appear on the main page ...

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

A ‘ Rants ‘ sub-forum that doesn’t appear on the main page might be a good experiment. It might also serve as a place threads can be moved for “cool down”, threads that might look to be heading for deletion (but haven’t quite reach that point yet).

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10365
Location: Golden state

Food fight forum?

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

Pages