What blade did you EDC today?

3769 posts / 0 new
Last post
Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 133
Location: CT, USA

ChrisGarrett wrote:
Maybe one of these, if I go out?

Chris

those… are awesome! I have the becker bk14 little guy and love it. really want an esee too

Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 183
Artiet59 wrote:
My EDC most days (FH-41 in D2). I can abuse it, dont worry if i were to lose it. I dont much like clones as it kind of rubs me the wrong way. although this isn’t a clone (i don’t think) i know Ganzo makes them regularly, i just don’t buy those models. I only buy what looks like, to me, to be an original design. speaking of which, this knife’s design is great. Fits in my (XL glove size) hands very well. Fall shut action which is impressive for a $20 knife found on Amazon…

Ganzo makes a lot copies, clones, and mashups of existing designs without permission. I agree in not approving of that. Those knives are usually made of soft 440C and aren’t of the highest quality.

However, their FH line are all original designs and are made to a higher standard of quality. They use Chinese D2 which is treated to a decent hardness. In my experience, these are pretty good knives for the money. They make great beaters and I agree on the value of carrying a knife without worry.

Of course, the FH line isn’t perfect. QC could use improvement. There can be a little variation from one example to the next. For instance, the detent on my FH41 was pretty weak and needed to be tweaked. Like a lot of knives with nested liners at this price, it also benefited from a little scale filing. There are two things that make the FH line great. The first is value for the price and it’s easy to forgive the issues here because of that. The second is that these are original designs. As Ganzo continues to see success with these and this line continues to grow, I hope they’ll eventually abandon their clone business.

Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 412
Location: California

Twosun TS182 M390.

The thumb studs had a very sharp rim edge on them. I had to grind them down and round off the edge. Now it’s a great knife. I love the solid carbon fiber scales. The M390 blade is wicked sharp. Great pivot action.

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 580
Location: USA

I like all my Civivi’s, really nice knives. The Dogma is excellent, smooth as butter action. My Elementum had an issue with the pocket clip moving, when I tried to loctite it I found the screw threads stripped, I contacted Civivi and they shipped me some screws which I’m still waiting on and had to pay $5 shipping fee…not the end of the world but I have gotten clips and screws for free from Kershaw so thats the only downside I have found with them. Hard to complain when you get a nice storage case and microfiber cloth with each knife. Also recently ordered a Fracture(also in the mail), but not sure how much use it will get being a non locking blade, but couldnt resist the price

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 133
Location: CT, USA
Chronovore wrote:
Artiet59 wrote:
My EDC most days (FH-41 in D2). I can abuse it, dont worry if i were to lose it. I dont much like clones as it kind of rubs me the wrong way. although this isn’t a clone (i don’t think) i know Ganzo makes them regularly, i just don’t buy those models. I only buy what looks like, to me, to be an original design. speaking of which, this knife’s design is great. Fits in my (XL glove size) hands very well. Fall shut action which is impressive for a $20 knife found on Amazon…

Ganzo makes a lot copies, clones, and mashups of existing designs without permission. I agree in not approving of that. Those knives are usually made of soft 440C and aren’t of the highest quality.

However, their FH line are all original designs and are made to a higher standard of quality. They use Chinese D2 which is treated to a decent hardness. In my experience, these are pretty good knives for the money. They make great beaters and I agree on the value of carrying a knife without worry.

Of course, the FH line isn’t perfect. QC could use improvement. There can be a little variation from one example to the next. For instance, the detent on my FH41 was pretty weak and needed to be tweaked. Like a lot of knives with nested liners at this price, it also benefited from a little scale filing. There are two things that make the FH line great. The first is value for the price and it’s easy to forgive the issues here because of that. The second is that these are original designs. As Ganzo continues to see success with these and this line continues to grow, I hope they’ll eventually abandon their clone business.

I agree with everything you have said here. Especially about forgiving any issues with their original releases. Although i think i got lucky becuase mine is pretty solid, although detent is a little weak i like the feel. I use it daily and sharpen and touch up/strop the blade and the d2 is nice. like the grind, like the g10 used. Just solid edc. Im gonna try the filing of the liners like you mentioned. thanks!

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 580
Location: USA

Some reviewers pointed out FH41 is almost the same as a knife called the Shamwari by Gareth Bull, Fh11 a Liong Mah(SP?) copy, if you search google images it seems eerily similar…I’m not a Ganzo hater, I have that FH41 and its a good knife but they may still be up to their old tricks

scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 4 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 128

Yup on the FH41 and Shamwari.

I couldn’t find anything about the FH11 versus a Liong Mah knife though. I’ve owned the FH11 but ended up selling it because the way the blade does not taper until the belly kept causing me to see an optical illusion. It seemed as if the belly and tip of the blade was wider than the rest, looking “bulbous.”

For sale:

Multiple budget knives


Current Collection:

Before BLF helped me see the high CRI light: Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XP-G2

After BLF helped me see the high CRI light: Wowtac A2S NW | FW3A SST-20 4000K + 18350 tube | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Reylight Pineapple Mini Copper Nichia 219B | Fireflies SS AAA Nichia 219B SW45k D220 | Reylight LAN Ti Nichia 219C + tritium | Astrolux S41 Stainless Nichia 219C | Convoy S2+ Orange 7135x8 T6-3B | Reylight Titanium Pineapple Mini x2

Inbound: SkyLumen LEPvn | Convoy S2+ Grey SST-20 4000k

FW3T SST-20 4000K (lost/stolen?)

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 580
Location: USA

Think its called “The Warrior” its not identical but similar, being a cheapskate I like my Ganzos so its not a problem with me….everything in life is basically a take on the original be it music, computers etc…hard to make a product that is totally unique with so many knives out there

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 127
Location: Mars

Ka-bar TDI hooked on belt above right pocket (reverse grip draw) with a Matthew Martin tactical pen clipped in right pocket. Emerson Karambit in left pocket

Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 183
Blackbeard wrote:
Some reviewers pointed out FH41 is almost the same as a knife called the Shamwari by Gareth Bull, Fh11 a Liong Mah(SP?) copy, if you search google images it seems eerily similar…I’m not a Ganzo hater, I have that FH41 and its a good knife but they may still be up to their old tricks

Looking at the picture, I can see similarities between the FH41 and Shamwari. It isn’t a direct copy. There is a point at which I’d call foul but this doesn’t quite make it. There is an argument that all knives borrow from other knives and there is nothing new under the sun. Still, I’ve got to put that in the “inspired by” category.

As far as the Liong Mah Warrior; I’ve got to rate that a miss (pictured below).

tu_army
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 04:51
Posts: 112
Location: Turkey

ChrisGarrett wrote:
Maybe one of these, if I go out?

Chris


Your esee collection is awesome. Hard to lose them in the nature.
Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 580
Location: USA

I was just regurgitating what a reviewer had said when I was checking out different FH reviews, it was Metal Complex on youtube, I dont think I could ever afford one of those custom knives lol, and yeah I dont see too much similarity.

I know a lot of people hate on Ganzo and don’t give their stuff a chance, but they are missing out while holding their nose in the air.

sparkyDK
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 15 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2017 - 11:30
Posts: 484
Location: Denmark

I like my Ganzo automatic, it have never missed a beat and the edge hold fine too.

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 127
Location: Mars

sparkyDK wrote:
I like my Ganzo automatic, it have never missed a beat and the edge hold fine too.

I love autos too. Microtech’s, Protech…

I recently found an article about knife steel. Learned a lot! Based on that, I bought a full sized Ka-bar that’s high carbon steel. It doesn’t hold the edge as well as M390 but man… when it’s sharp there is nothing like it

https://www.bladehq.com/cat—Best-Knife-Steel-Guide—3368

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 133
Location: CT, USA

Photon Master wrote:
sparkyDK wrote:
I like my Ganzo automatic, it have never missed a beat and the edge hold fine too.

I love autos too. Microtech’s, Protech…

I recently found an article about knife steel. Learned a lot! Based on that, I bought a full sized Ka-bar that’s high carbon steel. It doesn’t hold the edge as well as M390 but man… when it’s sharp there is nothing like it

https://www.bladehq.com/cat—Best-Knife-Steel-Guide—3368


I agree, I have the BK14 – my first “real knife” when i started the knife journey 18 months ago. Its only 1095steel, but it is probably my shaprest blade! (ive put some time into sharpening it though). shocking considering its a coated black blade. shocked me at least. it cuts as well as my .10” thick blades and it is .25” a the spine!
toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 2328
Location: Foley, MO

2020-09-17-11-51-35-138ss

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

chooma
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2016 - 01:07
Posts: 738
Location: US
toddcshoe wrote:
2020-09-17-11-51-35-138ss

I like todd, what are the dimensions?

YogibearAl
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2019 - 03:38
Posts: 215
Location: WA

CRKT Ikoma Carajas – 12C27 Sandvik

weklund
weklund's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 08/16/2014 - 10:32
Posts: 858
Location: Orange, Ca.

... Happy Landings ...

Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 412
Location: California

QSP Parrot.

Great little knife. Fantastic pivot action. 440C blade. Dyed the scales from a light pink, to a fuchsia color. My favorite small knife.

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

chooma
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2016 - 01:07
Posts: 738
Location: US

Mini Lawman, Microstream 10440 in a Leatherman pouch…I gotta say it was a good day…
http://imgur.com/gallery/GIeENUS

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1847
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

toddcshoe wrote:
2020-09-17-11-51-35-138ss

That is VERY cool looking! Which model is it?
BrightKen
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 04/24/2013 - 18:42
Posts: 573
Location: West Coast Canada

Today’s EDC is my modified CRKT Marzitelli Prowler.
I modified the blade and relocated the clip.

I am dedicating this to Peter who passed away on May 11, 2019…RIP Peter.

freefly
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 42 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2016 - 14:50
Posts: 275
Location: AZ

Been hunting for one of these for a while, and finally snagged one:

(Benchmade Doug Ritter Mini-Griptilian in M390 w/ Wilkins Ti scales)

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1578
Location: EU

Chronovore wrote:

Ganzo makes a lot copies, clones, and mashups of existing designs without permission. I agree in not approving of that. Those knives are usually made of soft 440C and aren’t of the highest quality.

However, their FH line are all original designs and are made to a higher standard of quality. They use Chinese D2 which is treated to a decent hardness. In my experience, these are pretty good knives for the money. They make great beaters and I agree on the value of carrying a knife without worry.

The FH81 is an exception (the prototype of the FH81 was even more similar with the steel thumb disk):

Krudo Knives DAO:

Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 183
isti242 wrote:
The FH81 is an exception (the prototype of the FH81 was even more similar with the steel thumb disk):

I didn’t see the prototype but under close comparison, I’m going to put this one in the “inspired by” category as well.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1578
Location: EU
Chronovore wrote:
isti242 wrote:
The FH81 is an exception (the prototype of the FH81 was even more similar with the steel thumb disk):

I didn’t see the prototype but under close comparison, I’m going to put this one in the “inspired by” category as well.

FH81 prototype:

Another example FH21 vs. Fat Dragon Dead Silence (Allegedly the FH21 was designed by Fat Dragon for Ganzo.):

amtaham
amtaham's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 04/09/2020 - 04:17
Posts: 19
Location: Indonesia

I prefer multitool than a folder. Since pandemic started, I did not go out that often, so I started to carry Victorinox Compact, because I think it’s most simple one. The scissors and large blade are the most used tools for many things around the house. Usually, I carried Victorinox Fieldmaster plus Gerber Suspension to support my daily activities.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1333
Location: Netherlands

Swabs wrote:
QSP Parrot.

Great little knife. Fantastic pivot action. 440C blade. Dyed the scales from a light pink, to a fuchsia color. My favorite small knife.

![img]https://i.imgur.com/UbU7Btl.jpg[/img]!

Nice! I heard great things of QSP knives so I have a green QSP penguin on order.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1333
Location: Netherlands

freefly wrote:
Been hunting for one of these for a while, and finally snagged one:

(Benchmade Doug Ritter Mini-Griptilian in M390 w/ Wilkins Ti scales)

Very nice knife

Pages