[WIP] *15mm* DD+single-7135 driver - single sided Dual-PWM compatible using 3.3x3.3mm FET

53 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA
[WIP] *15mm* DD+single-7135 driver - single sided Dual-PWM compatible using 3.3x3.3mm FET

This is a single sided driver which makes use of an LFPAK33 or other similar MOSFET in tandem with a single 7135. It is intended for use with the Dual-PWM feature in JonnyC’s line of STAR firmwares. See the bottom of the OP for the driver’s life story. Wink

Features:

  • Unattractive appearance.
  • ~1.0mm ‘tall’ component keepout around edge. (7135 tab extends to no closer than 0.5mm of the edge.)
  • 0.95mm electrical keepout around the edge. I just couldn’t quite swing 1.0 this time. It’s a terrible letdown I know.
  • FET + 1*7135: alt PWM is hooked up to the single 7135
  • Full solder dam for the 7135’s tab – makes assembling this small driver easier.
  • 3.3×3.3 sized MOSFET, recommend LFPAK33 because it has exposed leads.
  • Offtime ready.
  • Large 1.5mm GND ring on top & bottom (where possible). Exposed copper is 0.7mm on top and bottom.
  • Like some other recent drivers, this driver does have a reverse-polarity protection diode but bypasses the diode for the voltage divider. Due to this we are able to use any diode desired. Ideally we use a protection diode with as low a Vf as is reasonable.
  • The exposed spring pad is 10mm. Total pour diameter is 12mm.
  • LED +/- pads are 2.0mm in diameter. They are precisely positioned across from each other.

Notes:

  1. This driver may require very minor shaving of the SOIC clip near the FET, depending on what type of FET is installed. I do not expect shaving to be required for LFPAK33.
  2. This driver should sand down to 14mm w/out issue. 13mm is too much.
  3. Please do not ask questions about potential shorts seen on the OSH Park preview without checking the Gerbers in gerbv.

v010

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/oR9HyMcu

Hand assembly recommendations:

  1. Solder FET
  2. Solder 7135
  3. Solder MCU
  4. Solder R2, C1, OTC
  5. Solder D1
  6. Solder R1
  7. Solder LED wires

Backstory:
RMM, NeilP, ToyKeeper, and others posted about 15mm FET drivers over in RMM’s sales thread. This isn’t a case where I’d even considered making something along these lines. As with another recent project, I didn’t think the stuff would fit! Until RMM said that he was working on one that is. I still wasn’t really interested though, I figured he was using a baby FET… Then RMM stopped by the 17mm DD+single-7135 driver thread and asked if I was playing with LFPAK33 at all. Looking back I’d say that it was right around that point where the one-upmanship kicked in… a few hours later (after laying out a functional 15mm FET+7315 driver) I dropped RMM a line to make sure he was OK with what I’d done (he was). Since RMM has been influencing my drivers recently and this one was 100% motivated by RMM I figured it would be a good time to mention that on the driver itself.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Edited by: wight on 01/08/2015 - 00:39
wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

Reserved.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

Here’s what I showed RMM (v006) next to v010:

I wasn’t really thrilled with the LED+ pad in v006, but nothing really seemed to fit better until I decided to move C1. Once C1 was moved the LED+ pad fell into place nicely and easily aligned with LED-. SOIC clip tolerances around the MCU are very tight, so while it may appear that there is some room to fudge on this driver that’s mostly not true.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

This is great..

wight wrote:
Features:
  • Unattractive appearance.


Things just keep getting smaller…

Now how about a 12mm with the same capabilities? (double sided of course) Wink

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

pilotdog68 wrote:
Now how about a 12mm with the same capabilities? (double sided of course) Wink
Like this? http://budgetlightforum.com/node/36769

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA
I’m just going to assume that you had already started on this before I said something… otherwise you are ridiculous

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

Are all of your designs going to switch to the 33 fet now? Should I bother buying any of the bigger ones?

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

Very nice, it is going to be interesting to see what future builds this will enable.

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

pilotdog68 wrote:
I’m just going to assume that you had already started on this before I said something… otherwise you are ridiculous
I started a few minutes after you asked about it. I didn’t have anything else I wanted to work on at the time. I almost stopped about 40min ago when I zoomed out and realized that I’d left out R2 entirely. That was a pretty rude shock! Sad

pilotdog68 wrote:
Are all of your designs going to switch to the 33 fet now? Should I bother buying any of the bigger ones?
No, I do not plan on switching larger designs to LFPAK33. There’s significantly less variety and quantity available for the smaller LFPAK33 size. If LFPAK56 fits I will continue to use it.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

oh wow…nice

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16926
Location: Amsterdam

Very nice driver, I really like it, thanks for doing this, wight! So with the right firmware this is a 15mm driver with modes ranging from sub-moonlight to true direct drive. That is the almost perfect EDCflashlight-driver (the perfect one does all this and also boosts from an single eneloop or alkaline Wink ).

There are several 15mm lights out there that could benefit from this driver (+leds on copper), not just the sk68. My favorite 15mm driver light at the moment is this one.

But this also gets to a point where I get pretty hesitated by all the DIY-stuff that is required to make these new drivers work. I hope, if the driver tests as spec'ed, that Richard is going to sell these assembled, and for a reasonable price Smile .

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

djozz, how is the COFLY KX-H10? solid pill? is it easy to dissemble?

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

WarHawk-AVG wrote:
oh wow…nice
Thanks! I’m pretty happy with the functionality, just not the aesthetics. I hoped to at least have enough space to line up the 7135/MCU/MOSFET down the center, but no such luck. Beggers can’t be choosers though, I’m thrilled it all fit w/ my normal goals and on one side.
djozz wrote:

Very nice driver, I really like it, thanks for doing this, wight! So with the right firmware this is a 15mm driver with modes ranging from sub-moonlight to true direct drive. That is the almost perfect EDCflashlight-driver (the perfect one does all this and also boosts from an single eneloop or alkaline Wink ).

There are several 15mm lights out there that could benefit from this driver (+leds on copper), not just the sk68. My favorite 15mm driver light at the moment is this one.

But this also gets to a point where I get pretty hesitated by all the DIY-stuff that is required to make these new drivers work. I hope, if the driver tests as spec’ed, that Richard is going to sell these assembled, and for a reasonable price Smile .

Thanks djozz. I’d like to do a boost driver, but low-voltage boost is off my list until I get a buck driver working. :~

I don’t have any 14500s or 10440s, all my stuff is 18650 and larger or runs on a conventional AA.

Is there something holding you back about this driver in particular? It should be a very simple reflow. (The only thing to watch out for of course is putting a little too much solder paste on the gate/source pins. No big deal though..)

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16926
Location: Amsterdam

cajampa wrote:
djozz, how is the COFLY KX-H10? solid pill? is it easy to dissemble?

It is very easy to disassemble, and it has a hollow pill. There's a great dislike for hollow pills on BLF, but I use my leds on copper boards, and for small lights (and most 18650 lights for that matter) the (thick and copper, if Noctigon or Sinkpad) ledboard itself is way sufficient for the heat transfer to the pill. And I just use the plastic press-fit disc to fix the ledboard, alternatively you can use an adhesive like Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16926
Location: Amsterdam

wight wrote:
Is there something holding you back about this driver in particular? It should be a very simple reflow. (The only thing to watch out for of course is putting a little too much solder paste on the gate/source pins. No big deal though..)

No, the reflowing itself is not what holds me back, I think i can get it done quite nicely, it is the yet again new (mostly magic to me) components that I need to find in small quantities with affordable shipping to the EU, and my unability to flash my own firmware (I am not much into electronics and in computers, even do not have a proper Windows one).

I think there's many folks out there that would love to use all those great drivers, but despite of not being afraid of some DIY soldering, lack one or two skills to make a functional driver starting with a bare Oshpark board.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10299
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Oh hell yes. This is going directly into my titanium D25A. And hopefully also into the brass AA lights from CNQG, if it’ll fit. I think I have hosts for about half a dozen of them.

The D25A will probably get special firmware, since it has a sensor for fully-tightened vs slightly loose. Not sure what to do with that yet though.

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden
djozz wrote:

cajampa wrote:
djozz, how is the COFLY KX-H10? solid pill? is it easy to dissemble?

It is very easy to disassemble, and it has a hollow pill. There’s a great dislike for hollow pills on BLF, but I use my leds on copper boards, and for small lights (and most 18650 lights for that matter) the (thick and copper, if Noctigon or Sinkpad) ledboard itself is way sufficient for the heat transfer to the pill. And I just use the plastic press-fit disc to fix the ledboard, alternatively you can use an adhesive like Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

Thanks djozz, i have seen your measurements all over this place Smile so i have to be honest, when you say it is possible enough with the hollow pill it gets me curious, because you are right about the great dislike about this here, and me as new at this have almost adopted this as a truth, without any real personal experience backing it up.

So i wonder have you used any thing in that size with a fet driver and didn’t feel it lost a lot of output fast by bad heatsinking? i thought a solid pill/shelf where almost a requirement to not have it sink like a stone in lumens output.

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA
cajampa wrote:
djozz wrote:

cajampa wrote:
djozz, how is the COFLY KX-H10? solid pill? is it easy to dissemble?

It is very easy to disassemble, and it has a hollow pill. There’s a great dislike for hollow pills on BLF, but I use my leds on copper boards, and for small lights (and most 18650 lights for that matter) the (thick and copper, if Noctigon or Sinkpad) ledboard itself is way sufficient for the heat transfer to the pill. And I just use the plastic press-fit disc to fix the ledboard, alternatively you can use an adhesive like Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

Thanks djozz, i have seen your measurements all over this place Smile so i have to be honest, when you say it is possible enough with the hollow pill it gets me curious, because you are right about the great dislike about this here, and me as new at this have almost adopted this as a truth, without any real personal experience backing it up.

So i wonder have you used any thing in that size with a fet driver and didn’t feel it lost a lot of output fast by bad heatsinking? i thought a solid pill/shelf where almost a requirement to not have it sink like a stone in lumens output.

A DTP MCPCB is a requirement for that, and so is a decent path from there to wherever all this heat is going. Beyond that, more contact the better of course… ideally the whole chain has very few thermal interfaces and the interfaces are all good.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

Interesting this means i have disqualified some possible nice host wrongly then, i will keep this in mind for future builds, thanks wight and djozz for setting me straight.

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Way to step up, wight. When I get a chance I need to update the Oshpark projects thread with all this new stuff. Won’t be anytime soon though.

I think it might be a good idea to mention that one reason for bypassing the diode to the voltage ladder is to allow Zener mods that still have lvp with just a change of R1.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

ToyKeeper wrote:
Oh hell yes. This is going directly into my titanium D25A. And hopefully also into the brass AA lights from CNQG, if it’ll fit. I think I have hosts for about half a dozen of them. The D25A will probably get special firmware, since it has a sensor for fully-tightened vs slightly loose. Not sure what to do with that yet though.
I figured you’d like this one; I know your mind’s been on 15mm drivers for a bit now.

Rufusbduck wrote:
Way to step up, wight. When I get a chance I need to update the Oshpark projects thread with all this new stuff. Won’t be anytime soon though.

I think it might be a good idea to mention that one reason for bypassing the diode to the voltage ladder is to allow Zener mods that still have lvp with just a change of R1.

Thanks RBD. It’ll be nice to have this stuff in the OSH Park projects thread, but I suspect that it’s also time for me to put a thread together just to organize my drivers, outside of my signature. RE: the bypassed diode thing – good point. That description started off a little lacking and I’ve copied it between my driver threads without improving it.

BTW, I think I’ve asked you before, but where do you like to order Khatod optics? Cutter? Or maybe a source in the US?

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

Apparently I still haven’t figured out how to find specific parts on mouser. can you link for the correct FET?

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

pilotdog68 wrote:
Apparently I still haven’t figured out how to find specific parts on mouser. can you link for the correct FET?
I haven’t picked one out (and I will not be doing so immediately).

Please use these instructions to help find one. See what you come up with by focusing on these things, mostly in this order:

  • I’d stick to 20-30v rated stuff
  • high current rating
  • a fairly low gate threshold voltage since it will be powered by no more than whatever the MCU gets as input. Take a look at the graphs in the datasheet for PSMN3R0-30YLD which show Rds(on) vs either Vgs and Rds(on) vs Id. Remember that our Vgs will be lower than battery voltage… it’s battery voltage minus the voltage drop in the diode and in the MCU. I usually eyeball the performance around Vgs = 3.3v.
  • gate charge – don’t let it be too high. Look at the other selections we’ve been discussing, but I think you should be fine with

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state
Quote:
BTW, I think I’ve asked you before, but where do you like to order Khatod optics? Cutter? Or maybe a source in the US?

Cutter Electronics has them but both price and shipping are high.
Both are taller than Carclo quad optics and don’t fit the same peg radius as Carclo 25mm quad even though the led locations are the same. On some mcpcb’s all that’s needed is to open the peg holes to the edge of the board.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA
Rufusbduck wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I think I’ve asked you before, but where do you like to order Khatod optics? Cutter? Or maybe a source in the US?

Cutter Electronics has them but both price and shipping are high.
Both are taller than Carclo quad optics and don’t fit the same peg radius as Carclo 25mm quad even though the led locations are the same. On some mcpcb’s all that’s needed is to open the peg holes to the edge of the board.

Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of (the cost in dollars, not the peg layout).
wight wrote:
pilotdog68 wrote:
Apparently I still haven’t figured out how to find specific parts on mouser. can you link for the correct FET?
I haven’t picked one out (and I will not be doing so immediately).
How about:

PSMN4R2-30MLD
or
SiS414DN

I’d call SiS414DN the clear winner for this application except for the fact that it’s in a flat-no-leads package. I expect that it will be very difficult to solder for most people. (Actually reflow only for most people I think…). It’s also “Package Limited” to 20A, but I don’t think that’s very relevant here. PSMN4R2-30MLD has more exposed leads and should be a bit easier to hand solder.

EDIT: Clearly I made a mistake. PSMN4R2-30MLD is not that great.
EDIT 2: Clearly I can’t read a datasheet. SiS414DN isn’t that great. I made an error with units (ohms vs milliohms).

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

wight wrote:
How about:

PSMN4R2-30MLD
or
SiS414DN

I’d call SiS414DN the clear winner for this application except for the fact that it’s in a flat-no-leads package. I expect that it will be very difficult to solder for most people. (Actually reflow only for most people I think…). It’s also “Package Limited” to 20A, but I don’t think that’s very relevant here. PSMN4R2-30MLD has more exposed leads and should be a bit easier to hand solder.

I have not evaluated the following FETs beyond Rds(on). Listed in order of Rds(on) performance at our voltage levels:
PSMN2R4-30MLD
PSMN2R8-25MLC
PSMN3R0-30MLC
PSMN3R9-25MLC

Possibly functional, but not characterized well by the datasheet (for our purposes):
PSMN1R5-30YL
PSMN1R5-25YL

Not considered due to high Vgs threshold:
PSMN4R0-40YS
PSMN3R3-40YS
PSMN2R6-40YS

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

Ok I just added some PSMN2R4-30MLD to my order. hopefully they end up working for our purposes. Just to confirm, other than the FET and the 22k resistor, everything else is stock from a 105c, correct?

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

pilotdog68 wrote:
Ok I just added some PSMN2R4-30MLD to my order. hopefully they end up working for our purposes. Just to confirm, other than the FET and the 22k resistor, everything else is stock from a 105c, correct?
You also probably want a 1uF offtime cap such as C2012×7R1E105K125AB

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA
wight wrote:
pilotdog68 wrote:
Ok I just added some PSMN2R4-30MLD to my order. hopefully they end up working for our purposes. Just to confirm, other than the FET and the 22k resistor, everything else is stock from a 105c, correct?
You also probably want a 1uF offtime cap such as C2012×7R1E105K125AB

I have some 80-C0805C105K4R in my cart, that will work right?

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

wight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

That’s fine, no problem.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7323
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Oh man..... Is life getting good or what ? 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Pages