The Coleman Gas Lantern that runs on LiIon..

50 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
The Coleman Gas Lantern that runs on LiIon..

I built an “LED module” that can convert any Coleman-style Gas Lantern to LED and LiIon cells without modifying or altering the lantern itself. (meaning it takes roughly 60 seconds to convert the lantern back to Gas operational.)

Its sort of “best of both worlds” in lantern technology i guess.

This LED module, simulates the original Gas Mantle light and tint very closely, anf has 2 modes, (High & Low) can run on either a single, 2, 3 or four rechargeable 18650 Cells, and with four 18650’s with roughly 1800mah each, it gets 12 + hours on High before the driver steps it down to low to protect the cells from over discharging. its output on high after 30 minutes is roughly 450 – 500 lumens, and close to the output of a Coleman Model # 222 Gas lantern or most single-mantle Propane lanterns.
The module uses a Cree XM-L2 3000K Warm White emitter, and a two-7135 chip 105C driver, with remote switch.

Below is the module working in a 1977 Coleman Model #335:

Below is what the module looks like out of a lantern:

Below is a collage of pics of the parts of the module how i built it.
First i used some bare parts, copper plate & a heavy brass fitting for Heatsink, a Nanjq 105C Flashlight Driver, a CREE XM-L2 Warm White 3000K Emitter, two double-18650 LithiumIon Cell holders, some wire, a switch, some shrink tube, some velcro-webbing, and a plastic shade/diffuser with netting over it to simulate a mantle. With some soldering, drilling, and gluing, the simple module can work in almost any single mantle lantern to simulate it as working on gas, only without the heat and hiss noise.

The module’s battery packs just “hang” over the gas frame hidden under the vent, while the “fake” mantle with LED holds on to the burner with a set screw, and the switch simply hangs out of one of the holes in the globe base.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Edited by: DBSAR on 05/11/2018 - 02:35
theironhorse
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 02/05/2015 - 06:02
Posts: 16
Location: Hyderabad , India

that mod is amazing.. lovely setup with that LED.

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4124
Location: Connecticut

I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile

Something old, something new. All in the same package!

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada

dchomak wrote:
I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile

Something old, something new. All in the same package!

With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 sec ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3671
Location: TX

Wow!   What a fantastic creation.  I always loved the Coleman lanterns I grew up with in the 60's.    Nostalgic for sure.  Great workCool and you've given me an idea for a project come some rainy day.Wink 

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12921
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Very creative. I did wonder where you put the batteries. I'll take two please.Smile

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4850
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

 I can tell you I thought I would never

See a lantern mod so very clever

An idea abstract

Turned into a fact

What a truly amazing endeavor

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
MRsDNF wrote:

Very creative. I did wonder where you put the batteries. I’ll take two please.Smile

The four 18650’s all run in parallel, So its safe with a great run time on high and runs for a week or more continuous on low. Also it can run on only one, two, or three 18650s if needed.
it uses a Nanjq Q-Lite Rev. driver meaning it can have 3-modes with moonlight if the star-bridging is changed.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Photons Away
Photons Away's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2014 - 18:25
Posts: 216
Location: Terra Firma

You have simply got to secure a patent for this! No one else should be able to make money from your invention.

Good GREAT job!

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1759
Location: Alameda, CA

Pat pend might be better, cheaper and does not release the dsign.

BUT the important thing is DO NOT have it made in china!!! Big Smile

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7477
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

I like, you can also use with 4NiMH
If you decide to sell kits i’m in for at least one
The nice thing is the lantern acts as the heatsink

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bort wrote:
I like, you can also use with 4NiMH If you decide to sell kits i’m in for at least one The nice thing is the lantern acts as the heatsink

indeed four NiMH cells in series work just fine. I may make a few more of these as i have enough extra parts and components here in my bins.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7477
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
I like, you can also use with 4NiMH If you decide to sell kits i’m in for at least one The nice thing is the lantern acts as the heatsink

indeed four NiMH cells in series work just fine. I may make a few more of these as i have enough extra parts and components here in my bins.


I noticed Fasttech sells AA battery holders, i think i saw a 16 battery in series holder once (this only needs four in series of course), but i figured this would be good for my folks since they are now thinking of buying a few candles or $50 LED lantern that runs on many D batteries (took me a while to talk them out of it) hence I am actually looking for a good 4AA lantern.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

nisse
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/06/2014 - 12:11
Posts: 268
Location: Sweden

Wow! would really like to see this indoor friendly solution on a Primus/Optimus style lantern.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bort wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
I like, you can also use with 4NiMH If you decide to sell kits i’m in for at least one The nice thing is the lantern acts as the heatsink

indeed four NiMH cells in series work just fine. I may make a few more of these as i have enough extra parts and components here in my bins.


I noticed Fasttech sells AA battery holders, i think i saw a 16 battery in series holder once (this only needs four in series of course), but i figured this would be good for my folks since they are now thinking of buying a few candles or $50 LED lantern that runs on many D batteries (took me a while to talk them out of it) hence I am actually looking for a good 4AA lantern.

This module should get reasonable run times using four Ladda or Eneloops and double that if using eight AA NiMH cells. ( in a 4S2P config.) I used only two 7135 chips on the Q-Lite in this module to keep the LED in that “efficient zone” (on high at about 0.74 amps i measured and it barely warmed up on the hefty copper block module.) and still puts out lots of light with a full weekend worth of run time on a single charged set of old 18650 laptop-pulls.
As for other 4-AA lanterns, i lost count of the ones i built, modded, and have scattered all over the house and RV.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
nisse wrote:
Wow! would really like to see this indoor friendly solution on a Primus/Optimus style lantern.

This module would work on the larger Primus or Optimus lanterns as long there was enough room under the top vent to hide the battery packs. ( though i dont have any of those makes or models, the closest one i have is a Petromax style.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7477
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
I like, you can also use with 4NiMH If you decide to sell kits i’m in for at least one The nice thing is the lantern acts as the heatsink

indeed four NiMH cells in series work just fine. I may make a few more of these as i have enough extra parts and components here in my bins.


I noticed Fasttech sells AA battery holders, i think i saw a 16 battery in series holder once (this only needs four in series of course), but i figured this would be good for my folks since they are now thinking of buying a few candles or $50 LED lantern that runs on many D batteries (took me a while to talk them out of it) hence I am actually looking for a good 4AA lantern.

This module should get reasonable run times using four Ladda or Eneloops and double that if using eight AA NiMH cells. ( in a 4S2P config.) I used only two 7135 chips on the Q-Lite in this module to keep the LED in that “efficient zone” (on high at about 0.74 amps i measured and it barely warmed up on the hefty copper block module.) and still puts out lots of light with a full weekend worth of run time on a single charged set of old 18650 laptop-pulls.
As for other 4-AA lanterns, i lost count of the ones i built, modded, and have scattered all over the house and RV.


So far i don’t have a host yet, but i’ve been enjoying the starry light and it has good modes, so i am reasonably confident i can program a 105C (won a programmer in a giveaway, have not tried it yet), i figured 4AA in series, on a swappable plug like those cheap bike lights, at 200mA it would last 10 hours (about 100 lumens), then swap for the next battery pack (4AA).
Your host seems excellent because most cheap hosts are plastic and provide no heatsinking at all, if i make a light like this i can hopefully come across an old lantern for a few bucks somewhere

Where is the diffuser your using from?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada

Bort wrote:

So far i don’t have a host yet, but i’ve been enjoying the starry light and it has good modes, so i am reasonably confident i can program a 105C (won a programmer in a giveaway, have not tried it yet), i figured 4AA in series, on a swappable plug like those cheap bike lights, at 200mA it would last 10 hours (about 100 lumens), then swap for the next battery pack (4AA).
Your host seems excellent because most cheap hosts are plastic and provide no heatsinking at all, if i make a light like this i can hopefully come across an old lantern for a few bucks somewhere

Where is the diffuser your using from?

These lanterns are meant to withstand a lot of heat and with all the frame made from steel, (many older models like the 236 – 237 used solid cast brass burners and gas frames, which make great heatsinks.
The diffuser is one i salvaged from an old garden LED light, with a piece of white hair-net over it to simulate a lantern mantle.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7477
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:

So far i don’t have a host yet, but i’ve been enjoying the starry light and it has good modes, so i am reasonably confident i can program a 105C (won a programmer in a giveaway, have not tried it yet), i figured 4AA in series, on a swappable plug like those cheap bike lights, at 200mA it would last 10 hours (about 100 lumens), then swap for the next battery pack (4AA).
Your host seems excellent because most cheap hosts are plastic and provide no heatsinking at all, if i make a light like this i can hopefully come across an old lantern for a few bucks somewhere

Where is the diffuser your using from?

These lanterns are meant to withstand a lot of heat and with all the frame made from steel, (many older models like the 236 – 237 used solid cast brass burners and gas frames, which make great heatsinks.
The diffuser is one i salvaged from an old garden LED light, with a piece of white hair-net over it to simulate a lantern mantle.


I know, thats why i am sure they would handle LED heat without difficulty unlike dollar store lanterns.
If there is a cheap diffuser available that would be great for this mod.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bort wrote:
I know, thats why i am sure they would handle LED heat without difficulty unlike dollar store lanterns. If there is a cheap diffuser available that would be great for this mod.

So far of all the diffusers i tried (even factory ones) the one that came with my Sunwayman F40A is the best i tried with the least loss of LED output.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

I bet you could sell thousands (or millions) of these if you put it into production…Shark Tank!!!

From Wikipedia:
“more than 50 million of the (Coleman) lanterns have been sold throughout the world”

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7116
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

DBSAR wrote:
dchomak wrote:
I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile

Something old, something new. All in the same package!

With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.


How hot does the lamp get when running on fuel? Wouldn’t you be in the dark for a while waiting for it to cool down, if you ran fuel first and had to switch?

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

RonMuller
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/22/2013 - 22:11
Posts: 154
Location: Canada

DavidEF wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
dchomak wrote:
I especially like "reversible" mods as I just can't seem to commit. Smile Something old, something new. All in the same package!
With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.
How hot does the lamp get when running on fuel? Wouldn't you be in the dark for a while waiting for it to cool down, if you ran fuel first and had to switch?

Wow, what a creative and useful idea, I love it!  I remember my lantern getting hot enough to give very serious burns.  In the dark while it cools down?  You do know that this is a *flashlight* forum right? Laughing

peace

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7116
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

RonMuller wrote:

DavidEF wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
dchomak wrote:
I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile Something old, something new. All in the same package!
With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.
How hot does the lamp get when running on fuel? Wouldn’t you be in the dark for a while waiting for it to cool down, if you ran fuel first and had to switch?

Wow, what a creative and useful idea, I love it!  I remember my lantern getting hot enough to give very serious burns.  In the dark while it cools down?  You do know that this is a flashlight forum right? Laughing

peace

Well, I was thinking about the area lighting. Of course a flashlight counts as light, but isn’t really the same as a lantern. Then again, if he had Dale’s 14,000 lumen monster XHP70 Triple, he could hang it in a tree somewhere near camp and have daylight!

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Hestbech
Hestbech's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/21/2015 - 19:40
Posts: 332
Location: Denmark

Nice build! Love the low tech high tech combination Love

It would be dandy if birds pooped candy ::
Hestbech
Hestbech's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/21/2015 - 19:40
Posts: 332
Location: Denmark

That bulb/net thing looks amazing. Could be fun to se it beside the original low tech gas “bulb”

It would be dandy if birds pooped candy ::
Muto
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 1943
Location: Southeast, PA

What a work of art, love the mantle. I really thought the first picture of the lit mantle was the “before” shot.

Love it, think you can sell a bunch and I’m in for one!
Later,
Keith

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive Cockroaches and Keith Richards

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7892
Location: SC

Wow.  Congrats on this creation.  As usual, top notch.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada

DavidEF wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
dchomak wrote:
I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile

Something old, something new. All in the same package!

With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.


How hot does the lamp get when running on fuel? Wouldn’t you be in the dark for a while waiting for it to cool down, if you ran fuel first and had to switch?

from the globe up it gets really hot. There would be a 15 minute or more wait for it to cool down.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5491
Location: Ontario, Canada
RonMuller wrote:

DavidEF wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
dchomak wrote:
I especially like “reversible” mods as I just can’t seem to commit. Smile Something old, something new. All in the same package!
With this Module i can use a gas or propane lantern on gas while camping, then switch to LED if i run out of fuel, or vice-versa if the batteries get low i can switch to Gas operation by removing the module & adding a real mantle & fuel.
How hot does the lamp get when running on fuel? Wouldn’t you be in the dark for a while waiting for it to cool down, if you ran fuel first and had to switch?

Wow, what a creative and useful idea, I love it!  I remember my lantern getting hot enough to give very serious burns.  In the dark while it cools down?  You do know that this is a flashlight forum right? Laughing

peace

It uses “flashlight” parts to build it (and its in the “Lantern” section of the forum :bigsmile:

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Robert Barr
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2010 - 22:39
Posts: 131
Location: Chicago IL

That’s extremely cool, as it can be used indoors. Now you just need a way to generate that signature hiss of the pressurized gas lanterns.

Pages