Careful plugging your charger in - Opus 3400

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 659
Location: Reading, UK
Careful plugging your charger in - Opus 3400

I’ve got a couple of Opus 3400’s at home and whenever I plug them into an extension lead the sockets tend to make a bit of a fizz. They clearly don’t like being pushed into a live socket but I’m lazy and the extension lead in use had no switches.

I’ve had a few fizzes and a couple of very minor flashes plugging them in but last night I plugged one in and got a proper bang from it. A decent flash and blew the fuse in the extension lead and tripped the circuit breaker for that floor of my house.

Funnily enough the charger works fine still, it just really doesn’t like being plugged into a live socket. Annoying really as the sockets in my office don’t have switches so it’s live or nothing.
Thinking about it, in the states i’m sure 99% of the sockets I’ve ever used had no on/off switch.

What i’m saying is – be careful! The transformers seem to be crap.

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1387
Location: Alameda, CA

Ahhh british dry humor, it has been a while.

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 659
Location: Reading, UK

I didn’t intend for any humor to be in that post I was genuinley annoyed at it and felt a little mention on here.
In my 6 weeks I spent in the states a while back none of the wall outlets had on/off switches on them either. There is no joke about it just none of them had it.

zoom zoom
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 12/24/2014 - 02:16
Posts: 439
Location: Ohio, USA

Switches on wall outlets?  I've installed a couple hundred myself and never done that! Might be a good idea for my garage. 

chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 659
Location: Reading, UK

these are standard throughout the uk…

It’s hard to find a non switched wall outlet.

BIGBLOCKMOPAR
BIGBLOCKMOPAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2014 - 05:19
Posts: 262
Location: Australia
All power outlets in Australia have on/off switches, never seen one without.
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 4757
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

chrisc wrote:
I’ve got a couple of Opus 3400’s at home and whenever I plug them into an extension lead the sockets tend to make a bit of a fizz. They clearly don’t like being pushed into a live socket but I’m lazy and the extension lead in use had no switches.

I’ve had a few fizzes and a couple of very minor flashes plugging them in but last night I plugged one in and got a proper bang from it. A decent flash and blew the fuse in the extension lead and tripped the circuit breaker for that floor of my house.

Funnily enough the charger works fine still, it just really doesn’t like being plugged into a live socket. Annoying really as the sockets in my office don’t have switches so it’s live or nothing.
Thinking about it, in the states i’m sure 99% of the sockets I’ve ever used had no on/off switch.

What i’m saying is – be careful! The transformers seem to be crap.


Actually, what it sounds like is that your “extension lead” is junk. It shouldn’t be arcing like that when you plug something into it, even a transformer. Also, make sure when you plug something in to a “live” outlet, you are not dawdling about, but pushing it in firmly and decisively. As some others have said, we don’t generally have switched electrical outlets, although there are some specific cases in which an outlet might be switched. We certainly don’t have any like those in the pictures above. Some people may be surprised to learn that we don’t have switched water heaters on our shower heads either.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 659
Location: Reading, UK

The extension lead most certainly isn’t junk and both of the transformers will fizz or spark a bit if plugged into a live wall outlet too.

Buwuve
Buwuve's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/11/2011 - 14:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Germany

A switched wall outlet?
I have seen this in a few houses in the US, but here in Germany and on my holiday trips of the last years in Italy, France, Denmark, Croatia never.

A power cord extension with a switch of course, but not a switch for a wall outlet.

Light up the darkness.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 4757
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

chrisc wrote:
The extension lead most certainly isn’t junk and both of the transformers will fizz or spark a bit if plugged into a live wall outlet too.

Okay, then I was wrong. I guess those transformers really are a special kind of junk, because I’ve never seen that problem before and I’m a state licensed electrician. Wink I have seen more than my fair share of junk power extensions, however.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

chrisc
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 659
Location: Reading, UK

I’m sure you probably have but these are decent enough. The extension is going to be replaced as a precautionary measure but they do fizz and pop when going into normal mains sockets throughout the house. Only enough to be heard usually so I don’t worry too much. They never get hot and the voltage output is quite stable. Seems they just dont like the initial surge of current when you plug them in.

dw911
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 529
Location: UK

chrisc wrote:
I’ve got a couple of Opus 3400’s at home and whenever I plug them into an extension lead the sockets tend to make a bit of a fizz. They clearly don’t like being pushed into a live socket but I’m lazy and the extension lead in use had no switches.

I’ve had a few fizzes and a couple of very minor flashes plugging them in but last night I plugged one in and got a proper bang from it. A decent flash and blew the fuse in the extension lead and tripped the circuit breaker for that floor of my house.

Funnily enough the charger works fine still, it just really doesn’t like being plugged into a live socket. Annoying really as the sockets in my office don’t have switches so it’s live or nothing.
Thinking about it, in the states i’m sure 99% of the sockets I’ve ever used had no on/off switch.

What i’m saying is – be careful! The transformers seem to be crap.

Doesn’t the transformer have a European plug on it?, mine does so I have to use a uk to euro adapter, if so I’d say the adapter is the cause of your problem

eas
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/14/2014 - 18:53
Posts: 425

My genuine Apple 85W MagSafe power bricks, which are generally regarded as well designed with high quality components (putting aside the damn strain relief on the cords), give me sparks if I’m not speedy about plugging them in. I’m not exactly happy about it, but it isn’t just a problem with cheap chinese power bricks.

My blog with battery pack teardowns, reverse engineering and other battery-related info:

http://powercartel.com

Laptop smart battery PackProbe

202bigmike
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 07/23/2014 - 12:09
Posts: 809
Location: USA

Does this charger still have any problems with the

cooling fan ?

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 474
Location: Swampland,La

Just checked mine—Like I thought no problems here in Louisiana—My power supply is 120v input to 12v output—The ones you have are 220v—might be the problem—-Does just the cord do this without being plugged in the charger

musicmagic
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 09:53
Posts: 984
Location: CT

sound like these transformers have no inrush current limiters in them, therefore, the internal buffer cap draws a massive load till it is charged up.

If you can’t blind them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullcrap.

The real currency in the world is not money, it’s trust.

NightSpy
NightSpy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/30/2011 - 18:24
Posts: 794

I’d say the charger is crap. I don’t have issues with the 120V either.

TheBo
TheBo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 14:52
Posts: 523
Location: OBLIVION, ITALY

Confirm that power outlet with switch are not used here in Italy, if you find them (maybe one in a dozen million houses :P) it has been putted there on purpose by a very cautious person.
Also never seen that in Switzerland, Germany or France or Ireland either

Rufusbduck wrote:
Getting discouraged is normal but doesn't finish the job.
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 6848
Location: California

I can confirm often enough seeing a spark when plugging something into US 110v — and I go back to the era when receptacles and plugs weren’t polarized, but it’s not only old stuff. As EAS says, Apple (and most other) computer power supplies and USB power adapters do this sometimes.

Not usually any noise or oddness internal to the device though, just a little flash at the point the plug connects with the receptacle.
Same thing happens with any straight resistance load like an incandescent lamp, if it’s switched on before plugging it in.

I wonder why not everyone sees this. Personal magnetism?
Maybe it’s just me?

No, ‘oogle reassures me it’s normal enough: http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-electrical-socket-emit-sparks-when-I-p...

Ejected Filament
Ejected Filament's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2013 - 04:29
Posts: 2344
Location: Qld, Australia

No switches on power points? Heathens.

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5335
Location: US
DavidEF wrote:
chrisc wrote:
The extension lead most certainly isn’t junk and both of the transformers will fizz or spark a bit if plugged into a live wall outlet too.
Okay, then I was wrong. I guess those transformers really are a special kind of junk, because I’ve never seen that problem before and I’m a state licensed electrician. Wink I have seen more than my fair share of junk power extensions, however.

Actually, I was going to say the same thing, not so much about the extension though. I was always told that if an outlet sparks like that, there is something incorrect about the wiring/grounding. We’ve had to get a couple of the outlets in our house re-wired because of that type of thing.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 1572
Location: Michigan

I have an Opus (US plug), and carry it with me when we vacation in Europe. I use an euro adapter plug, and have never seen it throw a spark of any kind, in the US or Europe

itsonlyme
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/21/2015 - 10:05
Posts: 543
Location: Uk
TheBo wrote:
Confirm that power outlet with switch are not used here in Italy, if you find them (maybe one in a dozen million houses :P) it has been putted there on purpose by a very cautious person. Also never seen that in Switzerland, Germany or France or Ireland either

Ireland has switched sockets also. Never seen a house without switched sockets in Ireland unless it’s the shaver receptacle in a hotel bathroom

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1506
Location: dayton oh

correct.
some big pc power supplies do this too.at least cheap ones.
all this means is about $0.02 was shaved from the cost of the device.a small icl is really cheap now.even the big ones like used in ecm motors for hvac are cheap in the 100 qty i buy them in.

musicmagic wrote:
sound like these transformers have no inrush current limiters in them, therefore, the internal buffer cap draws a massive load till it is charged up.
RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 720
Location: Sweden
itsonlyme wrote:
TheBo wrote:
Confirm that power outlet with switch are not used here in Italy, if you find them (maybe one in a dozen million houses :P) it has been putted there on purpose by a very cautious person. Also never seen that in Switzerland, Germany or France or Ireland either

Ireland has switched sockets also. Never seen a house without switched sockets in Ireland unless it’s the shaver receptacle in a hotel bathroom

It’s a UK thing (also adopted by many former British overseas territories) where AC outlets almost always are equipped with individual switches.