I’ve got a couple of Opus 3400’s at home and whenever I plug them into an extension lead the sockets tend to make a bit of a fizz. They clearly don’t like being pushed into a live socket but I’m lazy and the extension lead in use had no switches.
I’ve had a few fizzes and a couple of very minor flashes plugging them in but last night I plugged one in and got a proper bang from it. A decent flash and blew the fuse in the extension lead and tripped the circuit breaker for that floor of my house.
Funnily enough the charger works fine still, it just really doesn’t like being plugged into a live socket. Annoying really as the sockets in my office don’t have switches so it’s live or nothing.
Thinking about it, in the states i’m sure 99% of the sockets I’ve ever used had no on/off switch.
What i’m saying is – be careful! The transformers seem to be crap.