ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

2478 posts / 0 new
Last post
bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

I would also be tempted on the Des Horn damascus if only it would be a bit bigger with 85/90mm blade.
Given the thin profile of the tail, a tip up option for the clip would be NICE!

Manx
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/17/2014 - 10:24
Posts: 820
Location: Italy

I’m very tempted about that!
Spyderco C36 serrated

www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDhMPm0L1yvr3LpygDPgMw my flashlights/knives/gear video reviews
www.absoluteblack.net my dark comics

Patrickbateman
Patrickbateman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 03/14/2012 - 04:08
Posts: 243
Location: France

zieba/zebra LDT Knife ( not my video )

MACS0647
MACS0647's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 12/21/2015 - 02:54
Posts: 82
Location: Germany

If somebody of our knife lovers or blade enthusiasts here might be interested in a rock solid S35VN knife of ( i.m.o. ) very good build quality
for the definitely very gentle price of 59.00 $ ( + 9.99 $ for international shipment = ca. 63,00 € ), should have a look at the Kizer Ki403A1, to see in this threat on post Nr. 1941, and than be quick at the ibd. mentioned online-store. Party

Hope that it’s allowed here to post this kind of a 100 % non-commercial tip -, if for some reasons not, please shift or delete it. Innocent

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Nice knife, I’m still looking forward for the framelock version to be available at gearbest or fasttech.

And I like your video but for my taste the music could be a bit quieter, just my 2 ¢.

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Thanks for that, been waiting for a review of this one.
I like the dark steel frame lock version but really don’t like that the pocket clip is not the same color as the handle.
Also, was hoping that the LDT logo was just photoshoped but it’s not too distracting so it’s OK, just wish they would make the pocket clip the same color as the rest of the handle though….
Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

bdpf79 wrote:
Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Thanks for that, been waiting for a review of this one.
I like the dark steel frame lock version but really don’t like that the pocket clip is not the same color as the handle.
Also, was hoping that the LDT logo was just photoshoped but it’s not too distracting so it’s OK, just wish they would make the pocket clip the same color as the rest of the handle though….

I’d say the clip is black, too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JUFULE-YIDU-9CR18-Tactical-Folding-Knife...

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

Nice! I didn’t know about the Jufule version, only the LDT where the pocket clip is grey
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-Zebra-MS2-Tactical-Folding-Knife-Sur...
This is even better as there seem to be no marking on the blade neither, thanks.

xDrAcHeNx
xDrAcHeNx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2016 - 07:38
Posts: 21
Location: Germany

Does anyone know a good ZT 460 clone with at least a d2 blade? (should not be to expensiveand in the bay, can´t buy at ali because i have no credit card)

Patrickbateman
Patrickbateman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 03/14/2012 - 04:08
Posts: 243
Location: France

Adahn wrote:
Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Nice knife, I’m still looking forward for the framelock version to be available at gearbest or fasttech.

And I like your video but for my taste the music could be a bit quieter, just my 2 ¢.

Oh, it’s not my video, sorry for the confusion, i was eagerly waiting for a first view and found this.

This knife has a very nice low profile style, but it does not look like a great flipper. Big Smile

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

Patrickbateman wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Nice knife, I’m still looking forward for the framelock version to be available at gearbest or fasttech.

And I like your video but for my taste the music could be a bit quieter, just my 2 ¢.

Oh, it’s not my video, sorry for the confusion, i was eagerly waiting for a first view and found this.

This knife has a very nice low profile style, but it does not look like a great flipper. Big Smile


Well, if someone buys a front flipper and tries to use it like a Kit Carson flipper then well, facepalm Wink
Patrickbateman
Patrickbateman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 03/14/2012 - 04:08
Posts: 243
Location: France

Adahn wrote:
Patrickbateman wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Patrickbateman wrote:
zieba/zebra LDT Knife


Nice knife, I’m still looking forward for the framelock version to be available at gearbest or fasttech.

And I like your video but for my taste the music could be a bit quieter, just my 2 ¢.

Oh, it’s not my video, sorry for the confusion, i was eagerly waiting for a first view and found this.

This knife has a very nice low profile style, but it does not look like a great flipper. Big Smile


Well, if someone buys a front flipper and tries to use it like a Kit Carson flipper then well, facepalm Wink

So what is the smart way to open that kind of knife ?

Manx
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/17/2014 - 10:24
Posts: 820
Location: Italy

Do you thing maybe one day we will see some JUFULE knives on Gearbest?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDhMPm0L1yvr3LpygDPgMw my flashlights/knives/gear video reviews
www.absoluteblack.net my dark comics

bgyen
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 03/02/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 629
Location: Canada

I got the LDT liner-lock Zebra knife last week. You can inertia flick it open quite easily.

Front flipper opening is a bit tricky; or I haven’t found a comfortable way to open it. I feel I’m precariously gripping the knife while I operate the flipper (with either thumb or index finger). The limited handle area doesn’t help either.

It’s a cool looking knife, though — very happy I ordered it. I also have the frame-lock version ordered and I’m just waiting for it to arrive.

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

I only opened my tiny SRM 702 like a front flipper. It’s a bit like lighting a Zippo, you use your thumb instead of the index finger.

A bigger 702 would be really fun I’d say but they’d have to add jimping…

zipelgas
zipelgas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/25/2014 - 09:22
Posts: 227
Location: Estonia

bdpf79 wrote:
Nice! I didn’t know about the Jufule version, only the LDT where the pocket clip is grey
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-Zebra-MS2-Tactical-Folding-Knife-Sur...
This is even better as there seem to be no marking on the blade neither, thanks.

My LDT version just arrived with a black clip and I’m very happy about that Cool
Very cool knife I must say. Here are some quick mobile pictures

Overkill is just about enough!

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 993
Location: EU
zipelgas wrote:
bdpf79 wrote:
Nice! I didn’t know about the Jufule version, only the LDT where the pocket clip is grey https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-Zebra-MS2-Tactical-Folding-Knife-Sur... This is even better as there seem to be no marking on the blade neither, thanks.
My LDT version just arrived with a black clip and I’m very happy about that Cool Very cool knife I must say. Here are some quick mobile “pictures”:https://goo.gl/photos/P9QpYbp9rvEgiaoF8

Nice one! Thumbs Up According to your pics it looks like it cost atleast 3x more. Smile
How is your front flipping technique?

zipelgas
zipelgas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/25/2014 - 09:22
Posts: 227
Location: Estonia
isti242 wrote:
Nice one! Thumbs Up According to your pics it looks like it cost atleast 3x more. Smile How is your front flipping technique?

Thumb over the top flip, with a complementary wrist flick LOL
Strictly right handed opening with this technique. Because you have to grip the clip with the smaller fingers.

Overkill is just about enough!

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

So where did you order your G2?

zipelgas
zipelgas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/25/2014 - 09:22
Posts: 227
Location: Estonia

Mine is from here -> LDT Zebra MS2
Is has a gray clip on Ali pictures.

Overkill is just about enough!

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

zipelgas wrote:
bdpf79 wrote:
Nice! I didn’t know about the Jufule version, only the LDT where the pocket clip is grey
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-Zebra-MS2-Tactical-Folding-Knife-Sur...
This is even better as there seem to be no marking on the blade neither, thanks.

My LDT version just arrived with a black clip and I’m very happy about that Cool
Very cool knife I must say. Here are some quick mobile “pictures”:https://goo.gl/photos/P9QpYbp9rvEgiaoF8

So either they screw it up on the pics or changed after.
Nice, thanks!
Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

Hey guys. A friend of mine wants to get his first knife with a titanium handle.
He likes his brother’s Spyderco Tenacious so his eyes fell on the Para Military 2.

Has anyone of you tried this clone?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-C81-Para-Military-2-Tactical-Folding...

In the same shop I could get the Zieba G2, so maybe I can ask for a discount if I order 2 knives….

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

Yep, I have this one, definitely a great knife for the money.
Pros:
- Ti Para 2
- Overall great fit and finish
- Unlike the real Para, it has ball bearings and the action is very smooth, the blade just swings freely when you release the compression lock
- Comes with a decent pouch

Cons:
- Unknown steel, I would assume it’s something like 8CR13MOV or 440C as it wasn’t that hard to sharpen
- Spyderco markings all over

Lobster
Lobster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2016 - 12:34
Posts: 140

Adahn wrote:
Hey guys. A friend of mine wants to get his first knife with a titanium handle.
He likes his brother’s Spyderco Tenacious so his eyes fell on the Para Military 2.

Has anyone of you tried this clone?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LDT-C81-Para-Military-2-Tactical-Folding...

In the same shop I could get the Zieba G2, so maybe I can ask for a discount if I order 2 knives….

Whenever I ordered multiple items, I send a message asking if they accept my offer. Worked every time.

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 263
Location: SAK-land

bdpf79 wrote:
Yep, I have this one, definitely a great knife for the money.
Pros:
- Ti Para 2

Thank you for the super quick reply.

Is there another Ti folder up to $50 that you could recommend, maybe with a better blade steel, Spyderco prefered?

By the way, my SRM 910+ holds an amazing edge, I never would’ve thought, that Sandvik 12C27 could be superior to 8/Cr13MoV/9Cr14MoV…

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

Unfortunately, most of the spyderco clones tend to have all the markings and every time I have inquired about the real steel used, the answer from the seller is always S35VN which is what’s on the blade (I did contact LDT and asked so don’t bother LOL!). The only exception was when I got my Domino from Dicoria and the ad stated it was 440C.

On this one I assume something like a xCRyMOV or 440C just based on the way it sharpened, maybe it’s something better but at that price, I doubt it.
If you’re friend want to stick with Spyderco clones, you might have a hard time getting to the bottom of what steel is being used.

If he likes the style of the tenacious, a couple of TI Spydie you might want to look at around that price point are the Domino (TI + CF laminated) and the fluted Native (gorgeous, still planning on getting it someday).
A nice little TI folder that can be had for around $45 is the Gnome, blade shape is kind of similar and the steel is D2. It is one of my favorite small folders.
The Neon clone has D2 and comes around $55 but it is not in the style of Spyderco.
CH knives has a bunch of new smaller TI folders with AUS8 below $50.
You might also go on Ebay and search for “TwoSun knife”. Most of their folders are Ti with D2. They are always in auctions so you might get lucky and score something nice below $50.
If he can extend his budget to let’s say $70, then there are a whole bunch of nice folders with D2 that can be had for that price like the Green Thorn F95s, CH Matsuda and many many others.

bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

Lobster wrote:
Whenever I ordered multiple items, I send a message asking if they accept my offer. Worked every time.

I have had similar experiences. As long as you keep it reasonable like 10% to 15% of the regular price, they usually accept the offer.
Lobster
Lobster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2016 - 12:34
Posts: 140

bdpf79 wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Whenever I ordered multiple items, I send a message asking if they accept my offer. Worked every time.

I have had similar experiences. As long as you keep it reasonable like 10% to 15% of the regular price, they usually accept the offer.
:THUMBS-UP:!
bdpf79
Online
Last seen: 11 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 241
Location: Canada

BTW, for those that use Aliexpress a lot (like me Smile ), it might be worth it for you to look into this:
https://www.topcashback.com/ref/bdpf

Basically, you login to your account and then login to Aliexpress though their link (so they can track it) to make your purchase and you get 8% back in cashback (I usually login in private mode to make sure the cookies are cleared so they can track the transaction properly).

I’ve been using it for about 9 months now and you do get your cashback, although in the case of AE, it takes about 3 months. I’ve been using mostly on AE (8%), DHG (2%), Gearbest (2%) and Fasttech (1%).

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 993
Location: EU

If you want a better steel I would go for the Spyderco C186 Slysz Bowie copy (review here) or the C158 Techno copy.
- titanium frame-lock construction
- D2 blade
- no fake markings / logos
- the Techno comes with a titanium backspacer not like the original with that ugly blue G10 one
- wire pocket clip

If you want something huge you should consider the C185 Farid K2 copy too. Smile

Pages