ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

2616 posts / 0 new
Last post
PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 345
Location: Rochester, NY

A number of years ago my wife bought me a VG-10 laminated blade kitchen knife. I’ve long since forgotten the brand of the knife, but VG-10 blades do very nicely in the kitchen. Very stainless. Takes a great edge. Easy to sharpen.

Search Aliexspress for VG-10 kitchen knife. I’m not certain about the differences between the different brands, but the ones they offer should be a great bargain in the under 30 euro price range.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 3144
Location: nyc
patmurris wrote:
I’d like to get myself a couple decent kitchen knives but have no idea which brands can be trusted… Imagine knowing nothing about Li-Ion cells and looking at 8000mAh 18650s on ebay or else.

I’m no professional chef, but I know a chiffon cake from a chiffonade, and the only knives I’ve trusted over time are Henckels and Wüsthof.

Amazingly, though, check out “chinese cleaver” on Amazon. For 10bux you can get a rather nice and beefy mini-cleaver (“chinese” not based on origin but on style) that does everything from smashing garlic (on its side, nice heft) to whacking through a big-ass melon or squash.

Anyway, to start with knives, generally you do NOT need a whole set. A chef’s knife, paring knife, and serrated-/bread-knife are all you need for like 95% of your cutlery needs.

Instead of a regular Norman-Bates-type chef’s knife, I got one of those sodoko style ones or whatever it’s called. (Can never remember that name…). I got that one as a gift, liked the style and technique, and never went back. Ymmv.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 3144
Location: nyc
PBWilson wrote:
A number of years ago my wife bought me a VG-10 laminated blade kitchen knife. I’ve long since forgotten the brand of the knife, but VG-10 blades do very nicely in the kitchen. Very stainless. Takes a great edge. Easy to sharpen.

Followed by the VG-10S knife, then the SF36…

 

C’mon, I had to say it…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 303
Location: SAK-land

Box wrote:
The 9103 is so pretty. Looks way more expensive. How does the 910+ compare to the 9103?

The 910+ feels a bit bulky at first as it’s somewhat thicker than the 9103/4.
On the other hand the G10 gives more traction than the ground steel surface of the 9103/4.

A good compromise could be the 910 Exclusive (which should be called 9103 Exclusive), steel handle with milled in lines.

https://messerundco.de/Sanrenmu-Land-910-Plus-Exclusive-Taschenmesser-Si...

The 9103/4 seems to be more of a gent’s knife that you forget in your pocket as it’s so thin whereas the 910+ is the worker that you might get in your way while sitting.
(I didn’t like it before my mod, it was too bulky and hurt me while driving, I don’t think that would be an issue with the steel handle.)

Grab them at flash sales for $10 each and see what you like more, 2 great knives for $20, nothing you can do wrong.

Box
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/26/2014 - 06:53
Posts: 501
Location: Australia

Thanks for the reply Adahn!
The exclusive pattern reminds me of the pattern on the Spyderco Nirvana.
I already purchased the 9103 from gearbest 6 weeks ago and still waiting for it to come.
I’ll grab the 910+ now from Fasttech
Thanks

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 303
Location: SAK-land

Box wrote:
Thanks for the reply Adahn!
The exclusive pattern reminds me of the pattern on the Spyderco Nirvana.
I already purchased the 9103 from gearbest 6 weeks ago and still waiting for it to come.
I’ll grab the 910+ now from Fasttech
Thanks

Wow, 6 weeks is a long shipping time.

I’ve got this fasttech.com/p/9535600 for a job student from fasstech at Mon 4 Dec, order from Nov 18.
Yesterday I’ve ordered this fasttech.com/p/9617915 for the other trainee, I hope it will be here before xmas.

This way I like to order knives, the plus of this and a battery replacement job for a GPS will help to get me a GPU for my aged PC soon Wink

Zulumoose
Zulumoose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/13/2017 - 09:25
Posts: 318
Location: South Africa

6 weeks is nothing if you are in deepest darkest Africa (or on the coast LOL )

I have only ever had one item arrive inside 6 weeks (38 days for a Convoy tiny)
My 9103, strangely enough, arrived less than a week ago, 103 days after I ordered it on 22 August.
Lovely, lovely knife, if it were not for slight machining marks inside the alternate clip mount recess, it would be entirely faultless.

Beam me up!

Box
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/26/2014 - 06:53
Posts: 501
Location: Australia

Adahn wrote:

Wow, 6 weeks is a long shipping time.

I’ve got this fasttech.com/p/9535600 for a job student from fasstech at Mon 4 Dec, order from Nov 18.
Yesterday I’ve ordered this fasttech.com/p/9617915 for the other trainee, I hope it will be here before xmas.

This way I like to order knives, the plus of this and a battery replacement job for a GPS will help to get me a GPU for my aged PC soon Wink

Yeah hope it comes soon. Have 4 knives from GB I’m waiting for Sad

Are those Fura’s on bearings or washer?
How well do they flip?

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 303
Location: SAK-land

Box wrote:
Adahn wrote:

Wow, 6 weeks is a long shipping time.

I’ve got this fasttech.com/p/9535600 for a job student from fasstech at Mon 4 Dec, order from Nov 18.
Yesterday I’ve ordered this fasttech.com/p/9617915 for the other trainee, I hope it will be here before xmas.

This way I like to order knives, the plus of this and a battery replacement job for a GPS will help to get me a GPU for my aged PC soon Wink

Yeah hope it comes soon. Have 4 knives from GB I’m waiting for Sad

Are those Fura’s on bearings or washer?
How well do they flip?


They run on bearings which I would call a good way to produce cheap knives with perfect centering and smooth action.
I still don’t think they are always better than washers as they collect more gunk but they are definitely great for these toys.

Right now the other job student is sometimes going to open the drawer where the FURA to just flip it open “cos it’s so easy to open it”.
Seems the knife bug has bitten some more folks Silly

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4026
Location: San Diego, CA

I finally got my first chinese budget knife, a Ganzo Firebird. It looks nice, but I’ll gift this one. Maybe later I’ll get myself one.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

xatu
xatu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/15/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1103
Location: Spain. Europe

Knives reviews: http://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/

My videos about knives : My videos about knives

scrumpypaul
scrumpypaul's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2015 - 18:29
Posts: 659
Location: East Durham, UK
Box wrote:
The 9103 is so pretty. Looks way more expensive. How does the 910+ compare to the 9103?

They’re both really nice mate. Nice enough to actually get both….. Big Smile

Ahhh – I see you are actually getting both.

Good choice….

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 255
Location: FRA

Not fan of the looks (yes, scrap the goofy “tactical knife” logo), but at least it’s full tang with a decent blade steel (if really as advertised)!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

xatu
xatu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/15/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1103
Location: Spain. Europe
AgentSteel wrote:
Not fan of the looks (yes, scrap the goofy “tactical knife” logo), but at least it’s full tang with a decent blade steel (if really as advertised)!

Really i do not care about the “tactical” logo, but I would not have put the gun on him. But I like almost everything else, its impressing design, size, handle, steel 440C, full tang etc.

Knives reviews: http://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/

My videos about knives : My videos about knives

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 1767
Location: Maryland USA

Found the SRM 710 CF on Amazon for $13.50. Ordered! Does anyone else have these? I like the Orange one but cant find it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3R7276/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie...

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 303
Location: SAK-land

bikenber73 wrote:
Found the SRM 710 CF on Amazon for $13.50. Ordered! Does anyone else have these? I like the Orange one but cant find it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3R7276/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie...


https://www.rakuten.de/produkt/sanrenmu-710-jusaya-edition-1665520130.html
isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1036
Location: EU

Adahn wrote:
Box wrote:
Adahn wrote:

Wow, 6 weeks is a long shipping time.

I’ve got this fasttech.com/p/9535600 for a job student from fasstech at Mon 4 Dec, order from Nov 18.
Yesterday I’ve ordered this fasttech.com/p/9617915 for the other trainee, I hope it will be here before xmas.

This way I like to order knives, the plus of this and a battery replacement job for a GPS will help to get me a GPU for my aged PC soon Wink

Yeah hope it comes soon. Have 4 knives from GB I’m waiting for Sad

Are those Fura’s on bearings or washer?
How well do they flip?


They run on bearings which I would call a good way to produce cheap knives with perfect centering and smooth action.

Here’s my Fura disassembled. It’s an elegant design, there are only two screws on the presentation side:

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 3349
Location: Texas

isti242 wrote:
Adahn wrote:
Box wrote:
Adahn wrote:

Wow, 6 weeks is a long shipping time.

I’ve got this fasttech.com/p/9535600 for a job student from fasstech at Mon 4 Dec, order from Nov 18.
Yesterday I’ve ordered this fasttech.com/p/9617915 for the other trainee, I hope it will be here before xmas.

This way I like to order knives, the plus of this and a battery replacement job for a GPS will help to get me a GPU for my aged PC soon Wink

Yeah hope it comes soon. Have 4 knives from GB I’m waiting for Sad

Are those Fura’s on bearings or washer?
How well do they flip?


They run on bearings which I would call a good way to produce cheap knives with perfect centering and smooth action.

Here’s my Fura disassembled. It’s an elegant design, there are only two screws on the presentation side:
“!{width:100%}https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-znGQZdHOmjE/WiwR8P-Z37I/AAAAAAAAaQg/gXBAle-77...

Nice pic! Do you know if someone makes a deep carry pocket clip for the Fura?

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 255
Location: FRA

This one is real D2 steel? it’s ~25€ on gearbest currently, so I may pull the plug

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Omega_17
Omega_17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 714
Location: France

Someone on youtube did a cutting test with Fura S35VN and it was similar to real S35VN steel so I guess its real. Also D2 is a common tool steel used in the industry, so its easy to find.

Talking of kwaiken design there is this classy version with wood handle and damascus on DHgate https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/boker-plus-burnley-kwaiken-damascus...

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 255
Location: FRA

Yes, a few pages ago there we discussed the matter a bit Wink

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

xatu
xatu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/15/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1103
Location: Spain. Europe

I like almost all kwaiken knives, that böker looks very well (i would know the model). But i miss a bigger guard for safety.

Knives reviews: http://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/

My videos about knives : My videos about knives

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 720

I just got my Sanrenmu 9103 from Gearbest and I’m pretty disappointed. First – unlike every other Sanrenmu it came in a generic white box. Second – it’s big. I’m a bit surprised how much bigger it is compared to the 7056 or Ganzo F753M1. I know it’s not knife’s fault but it’s a bit uncomfortable.

The most important flaw is that it came scratched and maybe even used (blade look wiped):




It’s pretty difficult to open, after that ball bearing does the job. I’m actually quite afraid of closing it because right after unlocking the blade falls down on my fingers. That’s my first knife with ball bearings so I’m not used to that.

xatu
xatu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/15/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1103
Location: Spain. Europe

Some things:

It is Land 9103, not Sanrenmu (even making it Sanrenmu). All Land knives come in a horrible white box, again Land knives, not Sanrenmu. But Land knives are very good, it does not matter the box.

About the size, you must see the measures before buying. And again, Sanrenmu makes little knives, but that is Land, that make bigger knives than Sanrenmu.

Knives reviews: http://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/

My videos about knives : My videos about knives

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 720

They’re sold as Sanrenmus so I was expecting a similar packaging.
I knew it was bigger but it’s also the smallest out of those bigger ones (with ~9cm blade). My dad’s Ganzo G7142 felt slightly more compact. It’s not an issue, more like personal preference. My biggest gripe is the quality itself, all those scratch marks.

Omega_17
Omega_17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 714
Location: France

lol Glasses

The scratches are from the stonewash finish and its completely normal. This knife is one of the best from china for the price. The steel is also much better than the usual chinese steels.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 720

I’ve seen a lot of pictures (and videos) of this knife and that’s the first with such scratches.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1036
Location: EU
AlexGT wrote:
Nice pic! Do you know if someone makes a deep carry pocket clip for the Fura?

I don’t know about it but I’ll keep my eyes open. Smile

Omega_17
Omega_17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 714
Location: France
phantom23 wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of pictures (and videos) of this knife and that’s the first with such scratches.

Mine is exactly like yours, its normal.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 720

I wouldn’t say it’s normal, it’s a stonewash done wrong. Nothing like that is happening in more expensive knifes and being cheap is not an excuse (I also looked for high quality pics and vids of the 9103 and there were no scratches either, the finish itself also looked better).

Pages