ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

4268 posts / 0 new
Last post
contigo
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 06/15/2016 - 17:17
Posts: 206

Today i received a Ganzo firebird 7511 and it was quite of bit bigger than i thought it was going to be. Kind of a bummer.
Going to get a smaller Sanrenmu but dont know what kind yet.

Box
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 08/26/2014 - 06:53
Posts: 636
Location: Australia

scrumpypaul wrote:
They’re both really nice mate. Nice enough to actually get both….. Big Smile

Ahhh – I see you are actually getting both.

Good choice….


Couldn’t decide between the green or black so I got both Facepalm
Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 637
Location: SAK-land

phantom23 wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s normal, it’s a stonewash done wrong. Nothing like that is happening in more expensive knifes and being cheap is not an excuse (I also looked for high quality pics and vids of the 9103 and there were no scratches either, the finish itself also looked better).

Where did you buy it? Gearbest maybe? Send them your pics, complain, get a refund.
Or polish/etch/re-sandwash it or stop crying about extra scratches on a stonewashed surface on a $10-$16 knife which would be $40 with Real Steel brand or $60 with Böker+.
Use it for a while and you’re own scratches will hide these horrible manufacturing marks.

I was a bit surprised about the size of my 910+, too, but I got used to it and don’t want it smaller.
Even though I’d like a 710+, 7103/4, same materials, same f+f, a bit smaller.

About opening with CRK thumb lugs, don’t try to push out the blade, press the thumb studs to the front and it will fly open easily.

Zulumoose
Zulumoose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 18 hours ago
Joined: 04/13/2017 - 09:25
Posts: 859
Location: South Africa
Quote:
About opening with CRK thumb lugs, don’t try to push out the blade, press the thumb studs to the front and it will fly open easily.

Yes, I found out after some experimenting that if you grip you are working against yourself, curl your fingers around the edge of the knife and push the thumb stud sideways only instead of down and sideways, and it glides open easily. Any pressure applied in a squeezing manner seems to be forcing the detent to grip harder, making it more difficult to open.

Beam me up!

contigo
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 06/15/2016 - 17:17
Posts: 206

Got my Mora Thumbs Up

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NZVZ3E?ref=emc_b_5_t

Very sharp out of the box, will be perfect for my camping trips!

Too bad it had couple deep scratches on the blade, one can tell it was from the factory. The scratches are deep eough for my fingernail to get “stuck” in them Sad

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

i want an EDC knife, doenst need sharpening often, medium size for edc, has quick flip ( dont know what it’s called)
i am new to knife, so, can someone help me, thanks
my budget is about 50$

Forgot my pen

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

you want an automatic knife or just an assisted opening flipper? also check your local laws

Flashlights, blades & beer

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

AgentSteel wrote:
you want an automatic knife or just an assisted opening flipper? also check your local laws

i want an assited opening flipper( the automatic one look quite dangerous to me, i think i can accidentally put the hand in front of the knife and push the button)
the law is not a problem here as long as i dont show the knife to public

Forgot my pen

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

Kershaw makes some nice assisted-opening folders, look here
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?sort=priceAsc&type=1&openingSystem=...

Flashlights, blades & beer

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 637
Location: SAK-land

mrheosuper wrote:
i want an EDC knife, doenst need sharpening often, medium size for edc, has quick flip ( dont know what it’s called)
i am new to knife, so, can someone help me, thanks
my budget is about 50$

Check out the Sanrenmu Land 910 series.

910+ with black or green G10, 9103 and 9104 (blackwash) all steel construction.

For $10-$20 (up to seller/flash sale) you one of the best budget knives available at the moment with a steel better than on many Kershaw/CRKT/Spyderco/etc. in their budget lines till $40 – $60.

It’s not assisted but it has ball bearings and flips out just as fast as an Auto or an A/O (assisted opener) but it doesn’t have an extra spring that can break eventually.

http://steelreviews.blogspot.ch/2017/05/review-sanrenmu-land-910-9103-an...

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

i already have ganzo g735, but now i want something with better material, so ỉ raised my budget to 50$
i saw some ruike knife, look good, dont know what is you guy opinion?
RUIKE – P135-SF
i quite like this knife, but not sure how good is it compared with 440C steel, if this is good i can buy this knife at my local store, no waiting

Forgot my pen

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

Ruike have very good reviews. But if you really want a better steel in this 50$ price range, I would say go for D2 steel. Steel Will has some nice flippers (cutjack, tenet…) in D2.

So many choices… Innocent

Flashlights, blades & beer

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

AgentSteel wrote:
Ruike have very good reviews. But if you really want a better steel in this 50$ price range, I would say go for D2 steel. Steel Will has some nice flippers (cutjack, tenet…) in D2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK78uwQRp_k


brone busher, ops, im not a fan of brone busher

Forgot my pen

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

you mean bronze washers

So yes, Ruike flipper with ball-bearings, well try one and let us know how you like it Smile

Flashlights, blades & beer

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

AgentSteel wrote:
you mean bronze washers

So yes, Ruike flipper with ball-bearings, well try one and let us know how you like it Smile


okay, i hope it’s more solid than my ganzo g735

Forgot my pen

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

It’s broken? Lock failed?

Flashlights, blades & beer

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1494
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

AgentSteel wrote:
It’s broken? Lock failed?

Nope, the blade becomes more swinging

Forgot my pen

Box
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 08/26/2014 - 06:53
Posts: 636
Location: Australia

I’ve got a Ruike P121. Really smooth flipping action and really sharp out of the box.
Just got a Ganzo F7603. The lock is so tight. It’s so hard to flick out. The lock is way harder than my other Ganzos. I think I got a lemon cause online review said it’s really smooth.

lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 163
Location: Paradise

Look around; I found a really nice Spyderco Delica for $45.

"The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do." ~ Galileo Galilei

bdpf79
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/17/2015 - 09:54
Posts: 319
Location: Canada

Ruike definitely makes some nice knives.
Just based on their style, materials and quality, I have high suspicions that they are manufacturered by Sanrenmu, just like the one that Adhan posted and just like Real Steel. Sanrenmu makes some very nice quality knives and the 910/3013/3014 are a steal at that price.

Personally, in that price range, I would go with a Chinese company like Real Steel, Ruike, Kizer, etc… over Spyderco, Kershaw, etc… you’ll get more for your money.
Or if you are not against clones, you can find some very nice ones with Titanium and D2 around this price (or maybe a bit higher)
The Steel Will Cutjack mentioned is also a very good option and every review has been positive. I have mine coming in the mail and should have it next week.

Have a look at several websites for Kizers. They have been heavily discounted for the past few weeks.
BladeHQ has currently a bunch of the Vanguard series (G10 scales / VG10 steel) for about $40.
They also have a bunch of Kizer premium knives (Ti/S35VN) in the $80/$100 range.

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 473
Location: France

bdpf79 wrote:
Ruike definitely makes some nice knives.
Just based on their style, materials and quality, I have high suspicions that they are manufacturered by Sanrenmu, just like the one that Adhan posted and just like Real Steel. Sanrenmu makes some very nice quality knives and the 910/3013/3014 are a steal at that price.

I might venture to say, better QA for Real Steel, Ruike though.

Flashlights, blades & beer

Holg
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2017 - 12:07
Posts: 36
Location: Florida

I need a budget knife recommendation! I was carrying a multitool for awhile but stopped because I mostly only used the knife. Recently, I purchased Harbor Freight’s new “Tactical” knife which was supposed to be decent with a coupon for $5.99. It’s a decent knife but the G10 on the outside is just too rough. For EDC I’m just worried about it ruining my jeans since it’s so abrasive. I’ve seen isti242’s wonderful review of the Sanrenmu 9104 and I really like how it looks and seems to be build well. Only thing I’m worried about is the size. Will it work well for EDC or is there another Sanrenmu or Ganzo knife I should look?

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1464
Location: EU
Holg wrote:
I need a budget knife recommendation! I was carrying a multitool for awhile but stopped because I mostly only used the knife. Recently, I purchased Harbor Freight’s new “Tactical” knife which was supposed to be decent with a coupon for $5.99. It’s a decent knife but the G10 on the outside is just too rough. For EDC I’m just worried about it ruining my jeans since it’s so abrasive. I’ve seen isti242’s wonderful review of the Sanrenmu 9104 and I really like how it looks and seems to be build well. Only thing I’m worried about is the size. Will it work well for EDC or is there another Sanrenmu or Ganzo knife I should look?

Thanks to its slim profile (thinner handle) the SRM 9104 is more pocket friendly than the 910+ with the G10 handle scales. The weight of the 9104 is also acceptable considering its size. Another pro is the overall length (7.87” / 200 mm) which I consider the best for a full sized EDC folder. Sorry I`m not an SRM 710 / 7010 fan. Smile

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 65
Location: SW Indiana

Wal-mart Ozark Trail knives are great beater knives. Easy to sharpen. I wouldn’t be embarrassed to pull one out and use it. There are couple good ones right now. I own both.

Failing that, get a Ganzo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Black-Knife/237592034

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Green-Knife/952293594

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 769

It may not be the right thread but it’s somewhat about knives. A we all know (or most of us), Ganzo knifes come with a handy string bag in the box. Does anyone know where can I buy one separately?

Holg
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2017 - 12:07
Posts: 36
Location: Florida
isti242 wrote:
Thanks to its slim profile (thinner handle) the SRM 9104 is more pocket friendly than the 910+ with the G10 handle scales. The weight of the 9104 is also acceptable considering its size. Another pro is the overall length (7.87” / 200 mm) which I consider the best for a full sized EDC folder. Sorry I`m not an SRM 710 / 7010 fan. Smile

The only other two knives I’ve been looking at are the Ganzo G740 and G727M. Would you take the SRM 9104 over those for EDC?

xatu
xatu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/15/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1194
Location: Spain. Europe
Holg wrote:
I need a budget knife recommendation! I was carrying a multitool for awhile but stopped because I mostly only used the knife. Recently, I purchased Harbor Freight’s new “Tactical” knife which was supposed to be decent with a coupon for $5.99. It’s a decent knife but the G10 on the outside is just too rough. For EDC I’m just worried about it ruining my jeans since it’s so abrasive. I’ve seen isti242’s wonderful review of the Sanrenmu 9104 and I really like how it looks and seems to be build well. Only thing I’m worried about is the size. Will it work well for EDC or is there another Sanrenmu or Ganzo knife I should look?

The 910+ black is less agressive than the green one. I like agressive g10s. The 9104 is smoother because it does not use g10 and it will be ok for your pocket. Remember you can buy a sheath too for the knife.

The size is about 20 cm, for me is medium for other people will be big…

There are a lot of ganzos too that you can see.

Regards!

My reviews about knives: : http://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1464
Location: EU
Holg wrote:
isti242 wrote:
Thanks to its slim profile (thinner handle) the SRM 9104 is more pocket friendly than the 910+ with the G10 handle scales. The weight of the 9104 is also acceptable considering its size. Another pro is the overall length (7.87” / 200 mm) which I consider the best for a full sized EDC folder. Sorry I`m not an SRM 710 / 7010 fan. Smile

The only other two knives I’ve been looking at are the Ganzo G740 and G727M. Would you take the SRM 9104 over those for EDC?

The G740 is a big folder, it`s the longest one in the whole Ganzo line. Since you prefer smooth handles I would go for the SRM 9104 or the G727M with wood handle. I guess the G727M would be more sheeple friendly in public.
G740, G727M and G727M-W1:

Holg
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2017 - 12:07
Posts: 36
Location: Florida

Thanks for the help isti242 & xatu. I went ahead and ordered the SRM 9104. In the meantime, I think I’ll try sanding down the G10 on the Harbor Freight knife to see if I can make it a little less abrasive.

Adahn
Adahn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2016 - 06:29
Posts: 637
Location: SAK-land

Holg wrote:
Thanks for the help isti242 & xatu. I went ahead and ordered the SRM 9104. In the meantime, I think I’ll try sanding down the G10 on the Harbor Freight knife to see if I can make it a little less abrasive.

I’d use a scotchpad instead of sandpaper.

Pages