Thorfire VG-15 Review (August 2015)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598
Thorfire VG-15 Review (August 2015)

Thorfire VG-15 (4.5 stars out of 5)

Thorfire sent me their new VG-15 tube style light to review. As always with Thorfire, the light came in a nicely padded box which came with a holster, instructions, and a bag of spare parts (extra lens, switch, centering ring, rubber boot, o-rings, and lanyard). I love that Thorfire does this!

My first impressions right out of the box were extremely positive. I have come to expect high quality lights from Thorfire, and this light is no different. The build quality of this light is very high and the anodization on this unit was pretty much flawless.

Threads at both ends are anodized (and hence can be locked out) and are square cut. They are well lubed and extremely smooth.

I was very surprised and glad to see that Thorfire went with a removable retaining ring for the driver…I am sure modders will be very happy to see this. The Thorfire VG-10s I have previously reviewed had drivers that were extremely difficult to remove.

The light comes with a beautiful AR coated lens underneath a crenellated bezel. I was a bit worried the bezel might cause a ringy beam, but the beam is smooth and ring free.

The hotspot is slightly smaller and more defined than a Convoy S2+ which I really like. However the spill is also slightly less floddy than the Convoy. The OP reflector in the VG-15 is slightly deeper than the S2+ and should have a bit more throw. The XM-L2 seems to be a 1D (one of my favorite tints) and does not a have the slightest hint of blue.

The aluminum MCPCB sits on an integrated shelf which I think is a good thing for shedding heat. The light has 4 well spaced modes 1.6, 40, 300, and 800 lumens. True to Thorfire fashion, moonlight mode is gorgeous and it is a true firefly mode. Hidden strobe can be accessed with a double click from moonlight or low mode. However I found it takes quite a bit of practice to nail the timing to get to strobe.

The pocket clip is a welcome addition but it is a little stiff and too much of the tailcap pokes out when I clip it inside of pants pocket. I would love to see a deep carry clip in the next version. 2 other things that would really be awesome would be a more powerful driver and a DTP copper MCPCB. However for us modders, those are simple upgrades which are made even more simple now that the driver can be easily removed. All in all I would highly recommend the light if you are looking for a high quality tube style light.

The VG-15 can be found on Amazon here.

Edited by: tristanxoxo on 08/30/2015 - 23:37
pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 6 days ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

Love your pics. Well done.

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598

So I ended up taking the guts out a BLF Manker A6 (DD driver with TK’s firmware and XP-L 5A) and installing it in this VG-15. Whoa…I love this thing! It is crazy bright and it throws much further than the BLF Manker A6. It is now my EDC and I have a feeling it will be my EDC for quite a while.

IMO it’s just a better host BLF A6 and the build quality is gorgeous! I just wish the VG-15 was available as a host.

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

Needs a deep-carry clip, then give it the Foyzeltm treatment. I think it's a good looking light, but how do the heat-sinking fins work out for pocket carry? That would be my biggest concern.


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 6 days ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

Honestly if you are looking at this style of light, I would really consider going with the Convoy S8. It is meatier so it handles more heat and (I think) feels better in the hand. It’s also cheaper.

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598
keltex78 wrote:

Needs a deep-carry clip, then give it the Foyzeltm treatment. I think it’s a good looking light, but how do the heat-sinking fins work out for pocket carry? That would be my biggest concern.

Definitely agree with you…a deep carry clip would be awesome. The fins seem like they wouldn’t be too pocket friendly, but in actual use they are not bad at all. They don’t snag in my pockets.

pilotdog68 wrote:
Honestly if you are looking at this style of light, I would really consider going with the Convoy S8. It is meatier so it handles more heat and (I think) feels better in the hand. It’s also cheaper.

Thank you for the suggestion pilotdog, I’ll check out the S8. The VG-15 with wight’s driver does indeed get toasty pretty quickly with a 25R.

bugsy
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/20/2015 - 11:40
Posts: 661
Location: USA

I don’t get how any manufacturer that is trying to make a name for themselves would choose to use a ____fire name.

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598
bugsy wrote:
I don’t get how any manufacturer that is trying to make a name for themselves would choose to use a ____fire name.

lol…so true. When I first saw the Thorfire name, I lumped them along with Ultrafire. However it turns out that they make pretty decent stuff.

itsonlyme
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 02/21/2015 - 10:05
Posts: 574
Location: Uk

Tristan, after getting the A6 and seeing what it could do, that was my plan to modify the VG-15. Great little light.

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598
itsonlyme wrote:
Tristan, after getting the A6 and seeing what it could do, that was my plan to modify the VG-15. Great little light.

Awesome, let me know what you think when you are done. I should clarify that I also really like the BLF A6 also. But I prefer the build, feel, and throw a bit better on the VG-15.

cncyana
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/24/2013 - 02:21
Posts: 516
Location: los angeles

tristanxoxo wrote:
So I ended up taking the guts out a BLF Manker A6 (DD driver with TK’s firmware and XP-L 5A) and installing it in this VG-15. Whoa…I love this thing! It is crazy bright and it throws much further than the BLF Manker A6. It is now my EDC and I have a feeling it will be my EDC for quite a while.

IMO it’s just a better host BLF A6 and the build quality is gorgeous! I just wish the VG-15 was available as a host.

Good to hear! Just a few questions:

1) The driver retaining ring came off easy?
2) The MCPCB – what did you have to do to remove it – was it glued down?
3) Did you do a wire bypass for the tailcap?

Life’s Questions/Answers here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598

cncyana wrote:
tristanxoxo wrote:
So I ended up taking the guts out a BLF Manker A6 (DD driver with TK’s firmware and XP-L 5A) and installing it in this VG-15. Whoa…I love this thing! It is crazy bright and it throws much further than the BLF Manker A6. It is now my EDC and I have a feeling it will be my EDC for quite a while.

IMO it’s just a better host BLF A6 and the build quality is gorgeous! I just wish the VG-15 was available as a host.

Good to hear! Just a few questions:

1) The driver retaining ring came off easy?
2) The MCPCB – what did you have to do to remove it – was it glued down?
3) Did you do a wire bypass for the tailcap?

1) Came off super easily. The threads are really smooth like the X6.
2) Nothing, no adhesive, just thermal compund (the non drying stuff).
3) Yes bypassed the tailcap (and PCB like Dale does) and the driver spring.

cncyana
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/24/2013 - 02:21
Posts: 516
Location: los angeles

Thank you for the info!

About the bypasses:

1) Did you go from the top of the springs down thru the middle to the boards or go to the outside to the bottom coil?

2) What type of wire? Gauge?

3) What is it about what Dale does which is more than just bypassing the spring?

Thanks again.

Life’s Questions/Answers here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

tristanxoxo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 00:50
Posts: 598

cncyana wrote:
Thank you for the info!

About the bypasses:

1) Did you go from the top of the springs down thru the middle to the boards or go to the outside to the bottom coil?

2) What type of wire? Gauge?

3) What is it about what Dale does which is more than just bypassing the spring?

Thanks again.

1) Through the middle
2) 22 ga
3) Dale bypasses the board by connecting a wire from the top of the spring, thru a hole drilled into the board, right to the switch itself. I will look for Dale’s post.