Can anyone step up for an AA/2AA only BLF budget flashlight?

318 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fritz t. Cat
Fritz t. Cat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:33
Posts: 2535
Location: Si Valley

Or this:

I have the CR123a powered Z1, and its main fault is driver inefficiency in high mode.
This doesn’t come with a head band, but the clip can be used to shine it forward from a pocket or belt.

Flashlight designers should look at lighthouses and pottery.
这些谁设计的手电筒应该看灯塔,以及在陶器。

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6284
Location: Ontario, Canada
calipsoii wrote:

vestureofblood wrote:

but an Attiny13A driver for a 1AA light would blow my mind.

Ah heck, I just can’t resist VoB Smile

1.5V Project v2 LED Driver

  • 14mm diameter
  • ATtiny85V microcontroller
  • 0.7 – 3.0V input voltage
  • 0.4 – 420 mA LED drive current (XP-G2; 1x Eneloop)
  • Full current-control through all drive currents
  • Off-time capacitor mode switching
  • End-user programmable via custom firmware:
    • 1-4 output levels
    • Brightness of each output level fully adjustable
    • Toggle between classic mode memory, hybrid or no mode memory
  • 2xAA/1xCR123 not yet tested but should work with higher LED currents possible/likely
  • Li-ion likely to run direct-drive (at least until the sense resistor burns out :P)

Definitely interested in these if you decide to produce them!

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

Im not impressed by its looks design wise – talking about Z1/Z2 here ;)!

Fritz t. Cat
Fritz t. Cat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:33
Posts: 2535
Location: Si Valley

I like smooth curves, but it is fairly cheap.

Flashlight designers should look at lighthouses and pottery.
这些谁设计的手电筒应该看灯塔,以及在陶器。

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2838
Location: N Europe

I dont like that crap looking reflector protrusion ;)!

Spark done away with much better design in their reflector-capable lights where you can buy reflector and scew it in :)!

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1760
Location: Alameda, CA

Consider that the trust fire is dirt cheap.

Also (crazy huh) if this design was mixed with Reys Ti light we could have the creation of the first Daleks’ Wink

I can see it now when we put a bettery in they say ILLUMINATE! , ILLUMINATE!! Smile

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

lostheplot
lostheplot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/09/2012 - 07:29
Posts: 543

I would like a AA version of the x5 in the limited edition version Blf group buy ally not copper

Oops already covers in post 152

So there at least two people want one!

sorry all images down
thanks photobucket

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9026
Location: Berkeley, California
Quote:
ILLUMINATE! , ILLUMINATE!!

Yeah, a tiny little memory chip and micro-speaker …

presterjohn
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/26/2015 - 11:11
Posts: 302
Location: UK

Is the AA powered X5 available to buy on its own?

emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1605
Location: Georgia, USA
presterjohn wrote:
Is the AA powered X5 available to buy on its own?

Not yet. As I understand it, it’s a new design created entirely for that X6v2/X5 group buy and it supposed to go away afterwards, at least as far as blf is concerned. But if the X5 proves popular I wouldn’t be surprised to see it live on after the buy, although probably with cheapened guts.

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden
emarkd wrote:
presterjohn wrote:
Is the AA powered X5 available to buy on its own?

Not yet. As I understand it, it’s a new design created entirely for that X6v2/X5 group buy and it supposed to go away afterwards, at least as far as blf is concerned. But if the X5 proves popular I wouldn’t be surprised to see it live on after the buy, although probably with cheapened guts.

And the X5 is not AA powered, it is 14500 powered.

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden
emarkd wrote:
presterjohn wrote:
Is the AA powered X5 available to buy on its own?

Not yet. As I understand it, it’s a new design created entirely for that X6v2/X5 group buy and it supposed to go away afterwards, at least as far as blf is concerned. But if the X5 proves popular I wouldn’t be surprised to see it live on after the buy, although probably with cheapened guts.

And the X5 is not AA powered, it runs on 14500’s.

dthoang
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 13:30
Posts: 319
Location: Austin, TX USA

Does anyone still have this BLF edition light?

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/755

The interesting point is that the driver uses a PAM2803 boost converter and is controlled by ATtiny13A. It can be driven by AA or 14500.

A picture of the driver can be found in post 88 in this thread.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/799

one year rookie

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2273
Location: Lost Islands ™

Bumping this a bit…. Each time I see a group buy I cannot help but wonder when will a great Aa/AAs BLF flashlight + driver come to life ….

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

Here’s a 1-2 AA Boost Driver at IOS.

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2273
Location: Lost Islands ™
Ouchyfoot wrote:
Here’s a 1-2 AA Boost Driver at IOS.

Single mode Sad

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

Tumbleweed48
Online
Last seen: 3 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 11/12/2012 - 23:21
Posts: 778
Location: Canada

Intl-Outdoors used to have some EOSlamp 3-mode drivers that are pretty good. They seem to tolerate all of 2.4 v., but less than 3.0 v.; they go single mode with 2 alkies, but give 3-modes with 2 Eneloops. Maybe Hank could get his hands on some more of those drivers. They were advertised as 3-mode plus strobe, and always start on low. Mine always start on low, but none of them had a strobe as a 4th mode.

I’ve converted three of my old Fenix L1Ps to the EOS drivers and XP-G2 emitters, and I really like them with a single Lithium primary. Using the old L2P bodies, I have the option of running 2 Eneloops for some really lengthy run times.

EOSlamp offers a rather pricey “Van 32” 1xAA that appears to be the equivalent to my modified Fenix’s in both output and physical dimensions. A group buy on the Van 32’s might be an option.

mattlward
mattlward's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 09:20
Posts: 2828
Location: Illinois, USA

Thorfire TG06 with a 219C or XP-G2 2C, better driver for those who are bothered by PWM and who like me want mode memory.  ML/L/M/H mode order as the default.  I would be one happy clam. Smile

EDC rotation:
FW1A, LH351D 4000k (second favorite)
FW3A, LH351D 3500k
FW3A, SST20 FD2 4000k
FW3A, Nichia 4000k sw40 r9080 (favorite light!)
FW3A, Cree XP-L Hi 5A3
Emisar D4V2, SST20 4000k
S2+, XM-L2 T6 4C

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

dthoang wrote:
Does anyone still have this BLF edition light?

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/755

The interesting point is that the driver uses a PAM2803 boost converter and is controlled by ATtiny13A. It can be driven by AA or 14500.

A picture of the driver can be found in post 88 in this thread.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/799


Hmm that sounds lovely

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9026
Location: Berkeley, California

I never saw the EOSlamp driver from Intl-Outdoor but not really interested in a single mode driver. They may have been the LD-20 or LD-30, which have a lot of variations.

I did get a couple of single mode NiMH drivers from RMM recently to try that out again, with the 4/3AF NiMH cells I’ve been swapping into my last year’s 18650-size lights.
RMM said in his thread he’s had a multiple mode driver in the works, nothing ready yet.

The LD-30 drivers I’ve tried are tolerable with two NiMH cells, but with a white emitter (think it’s a DX Nichia B, I forget) the voltage drops really fast and the light gets really hot.
After maybe 20 minutes of runtime at high, the white emitter light drops to moonlight and won’t recover for more than a few seconds of mid or high level. I’d think most of the energy went into heat, not light. Not long enough to walk the dog or pick up groceries from the market nearby.

This is one variation: http://lygte-info.dk/review/DriverTest%20LD-30%20Boost%201-2%20AA%20cell...

Strangely enough perhaps, I set another one up with an amber XP-E2 (from RMM) (also using two 4/3AF) and it has a low mode that’s not quite moon-low but will last at least a week or more continuously on. Wonderful nightlight. Haven’t yet run it long enough to have the light go out, I get impatient to check the voltage and recharge the cells. Patience.

These are both using a Solarforce 2x body and dropins wrapped up in copper foil).

Haterade
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/05/2012 - 20:36
Posts: 1561
Location: District of Corruption

Sounds like someone needs to step up and make this happen.

(Make it in copper!)

I like copper

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9026
Location: Berkeley, California
Quote:
RMM said in his thread he’s had a multiple mode driver in the works, nothing ready yet.
bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2077
Location: Maryland USA

Seems like no love for the AA lights any more..

mattlward
mattlward's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 09:20
Posts: 2828
Location: Illinois, USA

I must say… I have acquired an Orcatorch T11 and like it! It has mode issues, disco modes not hidden but other than that it is pretty good. I would like to see a lower low, but Turbo is good on it. It also has about an 18mm smooth reflector, it will throw for a single AA light. It is glued tight, and I do not know if they would work with us on any of the nit picky issues… I can ask!

Matt

EDC rotation:
FW1A, LH351D 4000k (second favorite)
FW3A, LH351D 3500k
FW3A, SST20 FD2 4000k
FW3A, Nichia 4000k sw40 r9080 (favorite light!)
FW3A, Cree XP-L Hi 5A3
Emisar D4V2, SST20 4000k
S2+, XM-L2 T6 4C

finges
Online
Last seen: 9 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 11/19/2014 - 14:50
Posts: 501
Location: Germany

bikenber73 wrote:
Seems like no love for the AA lights any more..

I wouldn’t say so, look at the following threads

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/936725#comment-936725

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47218

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47486

And this light is also very interesting http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=134&...

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2077
Location: Maryland USA

mattlward wrote:
I must say… I have acquired an Orcatorch T11 and like it! It has mode issues, disco modes not hidden but other than that it is pretty good. I would like to see a lower low, but Turbo is good on it. It also has about an 18mm smooth reflector, it will throw for a single AA light. It is glued tight, and I do not know if they would work with us on any of the nit picky issues… I can ask!

Matt

I have one of these as well.Got it yesterday in exchange for a review. I wish it had the ability to run off a 14500 and mode memory, but all in all a decent light. Now if I had paid the $45 asking price. I would be fairly disappointed

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2077
Location: Maryland USA

I just haven’t seen any discussion on the issue of a BLF Budget AA light in months.

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

There would probably be too much argument over whether to design it for AA or 14500 cells. There are drivers that can do well with one or the other but a true boost/buck driver is a bit more complicated, probably limited to sane output, and proprietary as well. The next driver I’d like to see is an ax2002 based buck driver adapted to Attiny use for 1A Max mods. No heat issues in Minimags using 2 X liion and great run time in C/D Mag mods.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

mattlward
mattlward's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 09:20
Posts: 2828
Location: Illinois, USA

bikenber73 wrote:
mattlward wrote:
I must say… I have acquired an Orcatorch T11 and like it! It has mode issues, disco modes not hidden but other than that it is pretty good. I would like to see a lower low, but Turbo is good on it. It also has about an 18mm smooth reflector, it will throw for a single AA light. It is glued tight, and I do not know if they would work with us on any of the nit picky issues… I can ask!

Matt

I have one of these as well.Got it yesterday in exchange for a review. I wish it had the ability to run off a 14500 and mode memory, but all in all a decent light. Now if I had paid the $45 asking price. I would be fairly disappointed

I agree with your summation! I also have water tested mine for 30 minutes at 2.5 feet and it stayed dry and on! I really wish it did not have disco modes or they were hidden. It does have impressive throw for it’s size. Price is to high as it stands.

EDC rotation:
FW1A, LH351D 4000k (second favorite)
FW3A, LH351D 3500k
FW3A, SST20 FD2 4000k
FW3A, Nichia 4000k sw40 r9080 (favorite light!)
FW3A, Cree XP-L Hi 5A3
Emisar D4V2, SST20 4000k
S2+, XM-L2 T6 4C

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2077
Location: Maryland USA
Rufusbduck wrote:
There would probably be too much argument over whether to design it for AA or 14500 cells. There are drivers that can do well with one or the other but a true boost/buck driver is a bit more complicated, probably limited to sane output, and proprietary as well. The next driver I’d like to see is an ax2002 based buck driver adapted to Attiny use for 1A Max mods. No heat issues in Minimags using 2 X liion and great run time in C/D Mag mods.

Thanks.
How hard wouldsa 14500/2* AA be? I have a Balder that works well on both. I just like the option for “regular” battery use.

Pages