ENEDED

436 posts / 0 new
Last post
shrick
shrick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2014 - 07:15
Posts: 699

Herewith 2 recent builds I did with dedomed XP-G2 S4 2Bs from IOS

4.7 Amps – Jacob A60 Build
5.1 Amps – Convoy S2 Build

Both measured with my Fluke 376 True RMS AC/DC Clamp Meter

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20385
Location: Heart of Texas

is there a group buy on a new brain? Yes, I meant the Convoy L2. Geesh.

Nice Shrick! Right up there where that little bad boy is screamin! Smile Bet it’s a pencil beam in the Jacob huh? (Love my Solarforce M8, always found the Jacob A60 to be a cheaper copy of the M8, awesome though in the tight pencil beam department)

shrick
shrick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2014 - 07:15
Posts: 699

DB Custom wrote:
is there a group buy on a new brain? Yes, I meant the Convoy L2. Geesh.

Nice Shrick! Right up there where that little bad boy is screamin! Smile Bet it’s a pencil beam in the Jacob huh? (Love my Solarforce M8, always found the Jacob A60 to be a cheaper copy of the M8, awesome though in the tight pencil beam department)

Thanks Dale! Its a pity I can’t take beamshots yet, need to sort out a camera for that. What’s the best budget camera you’d recommend to get going with above standard (acceptable) beamshots?

Regarding the A60, the beam is actually not that bad. It has a flawless hotspot (pencil-ish) with good usable corona which makes it quite practical. Probably took me 2-3 hours to get that A60 focussed properly. Its just those damn rings – really not a fan of them rings! I still can’t believe what that little A60 is doing, 242k lux! Crazy…

FmC
FmC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 05:23
Posts: 2194
Location: Brisbane, AU

DB Custom wrote:
In my experience, (making note that I know not what I say) when the meter shows that "-" in front of the amperage number the current is being read in the wrong direction. Changing the position of the wires fixes that and almost always shows a different number, usually lower.

I'll re-measure when I get home from work tonight, with leads reversed to see if the DMM gives a different reading. I don't think it does, at least on this meter, so I don't worry about the lead orientation.

On that note, when testing amps at the emitter, has anyone noted different readings taken from each side? Is there a preferred side to take the reading from?

I'd assume not, being the one circuit, but someone might know otherwise.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12404
Location: LI NY

Dang schrick, 4.7A and 5.1A are great #'s for the S4 2B. Unfortunately I don't have any right now - should order 5 from Hank... Were these cherry picked or did you get these amps from other XP-G2's? We are just trying to figure out what's goin on. If you get high amps or low amps, there still seems to be a significant range of measured amps each guy is getting on these.

I totally missed those 2 threads btw, really nice results though!

FmC
FmC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 05:23
Posts: 2194
Location: Brisbane, AU

Tom E wrote:

FmC - k, that makes a lot more sense now. LCK-LED has those listed here as FL-215? Think it's the old IOS driver I used in Shockers.

 

Yes, that's the one. It has been sold in a few different flavors; Large coil, small coil, with/without contact plate, 3/5 Amp. They all appear to have the same components.

If anyone is interested, Richard lists them as well.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20385
Location: Heart of Texas

FMC, there may be a difference as one side is supply and the other side is after the diode is using it, perhaps some inefficiency in the diode could cause the negative side to be lower than the positive side? Since current flows positive to negative, reading the negative side is actually what the emitter is using.
Reading the positive side is a good way to fry your light, slightest mishap and there’s smoke and melted things. Touch something on the negative side and you just go direct drive, no biggie. (unless you’re in a smaller light that can’t handle direct drive, then, biggie)

shrick
shrick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2014 - 07:15
Posts: 699
Tom E wrote:

Dang schrick, 4.7A and 5.1A are great #‘s for the S4 2B. Unfortunately I don’t have any right now – should order 5 from Hank… Were these cherry picked or did you get these amps from other XP-G2’s? We are just trying to figure out what’s goin on. If you get high amps or low amps, there still seems to be a significant range of measured amps each guy is getting on these.

I totally missed those 2 threads btw, really nice results though!

Hi Tom. No, not cherry picked. I think I have around 5-8 of them left. I bought them reflowed on 16mm noctigons – did not reflow myself. Will it help if I run the remaining XP-G2 S4s through my bench power supply and take amp readings? I’ve recently built myself a small amp reading setup – would be nice to use that now. I’ll take photos of each LEDs readings. Would be interesting to see how all of them compare…

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

I really wish I had not read this thread. I really never intended to mod anything again.

Ordered one of these from GB tonightInnocent

  • Have to make a new Copper shelf for the led.
  • Modify the Reflector - take out the center flat area in the bottom and make a custom thin centering ring. Stipple the reflector. Not going for max throw obviously.
  • XHP70 led and custom mcpcb.
  • Time to go look at what I got for drivers for the XHP70, or email RMM.
  • Rework the spring plate 2S/2P. Actually, the batts will probably load from the tail end now, like the modified SRKs I've done.
  • Make a different handle maybe.

 

I hate you guys.Tongue Out   (Not really, but the wife will hate me Cry).

 

EDIT: NO STOCK AT GEARBEST. As usual, they are selling stuff that there is no stock on and as usual, I canceled the order. Thank's Gearbest, you are my best line of defense when ordering, because you never have anything in stock.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13065
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Laughing

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

FmC
FmC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 05:23
Posts: 2194
Location: Brisbane, AU

FmC wrote:

DB Custom wrote:
In my experience, (making note that I know not what I say) when the meter shows that "-" in front of the amperage number the current is being read in the wrong direction. Changing the position of the wires fixes that and almost always shows a different number, usually lower.

I'll re-measure when I get home from work tonight, with leads reversed to see if the DMM gives a different reading. I don't think it does, at least on this meter, so I don't worry about the lead orientation.

On that note, when testing amps at the emitter, has anyone noted different readings taken from each side? Is there a preferred side to take the reading from?

I'd assume not, being the one circuit, but someone might know otherwise.

Ok - Just took measurements of the same setup back to back to back, & using my meter, there is no appreciable difference with the leads reversed.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7698
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Old-Lumens wrote:

I really wish I had not read this thread. I really never intended to mod anything again.

Ordered one of these from GB tonightInnocent

  • Have to make a new Copper shelf for the led.
  • Modify the Reflector – take out the center flat area in the bottom and make a custom thin centering ring. Stipple the reflector. Not going for max throw obviously.
  • XHP70 led and custom mcpcb.
  • Time to go look at what I got for drivers for the XHP70, or email RMM.
  • Rework the spring plate 2S/2P. Actually, the batts will probably load from the tail end now, like the modified SRKs I’ve done.
  • Make a different handle maybe.

 

I hate you guys.Tongue Out   (Not really, but the wife will hate me Cry).


Well, I can’t speak for anyone else. But for me, it’s good to see you back in the game. I’ve missed reading your awesome build threads! :bigsmile:

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12404
Location: LI NY

MRsDNF wrote:

Laughing

+1 - it really is an inexpensive platform for something of this size. Looking forward to O-L's results - sounds like a plan Smile.

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

NO STOCK AT GEARBEST. As usual, they are selling stuff that there is no stock on and as usual, I canceled the order. Thank's Gearbest, you are my best line of defense when impulse buying, because you never have anything in stock.Tongue Out

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3671
Sad
unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4342
Location: USA

Gearbest dropping the ball again, sigh. Flat Stare

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12404
Location: LI NY

I interpret GB's 3-5 biz days as this:

   "we ain't got it, but we thinks we can get it quick"

So technically true - anything 3-5 biz days is not in stock with GB. The "we thinks" part can drive you nuts at times though Smile.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 8069

BOSS1 gb is up for discussion today. Apologize to all for the delay, vendor overlooked one of my 4th Jan reply. I proposed for custom upgrade parts but it was turned down due to low demand (<100). Anyway, we will try our best to group buy back on track and list the stock light up for sale soon.

©freemex1thedeals.com

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

Tom E wrote:

I interpret GB's 3-5 biz days as this:

   "we ain't got it, but we thinks we can get it quick"

So technically true - anything 3-5 biz days is not in stock with GB. The "we thinks" part can drive you nuts at times though Smile.

MAY's answer was "we may get it next week, if it comes". Not good enough for me, "3-5 days" here means it shipped and will take 3-5 days to arrive.

Sorry to disorganize the GB. It looked like it was on hold and not moving forward, so I posted about GB. 

Back to the original thread.....

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

bugsy36
bugsy36's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 07/11/2014 - 18:15
Posts: 2475
Location: Florida USA

Hey Justin - No worries. Soon the wife will join BLF to find out what you need to mod and then order a bunch of stuff for ya....just to get you out of the house. LOL

It's the simple things that we take for granted that cost us the most

Ευκαιρία λέει πιάσε με από το μέτωπο γιατί μόλις έχω περάσει δεν θα με πιάσειs

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12404
Location: LI NY

Yikes, with May saying 'if it comes', I'd be in doubt for sure. Glad to see the GB is getting a bump. Thanks freeme, again!!

Mitko
Mitko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/19/2014 - 05:20
Posts: 1537
Location: Bulgaria
Quote:
EDIT: NO STOCK AT GEARBEST. As usual, they are selling stuff that there is no stock on and as usual, I canceled the order. Thank’s Gearbest, you are my best line of defense when ordering, because you never have anything in stock.

I confirm that, just recieved a mail, they ask me could i wait just a little….10-15 working days, maybe a little bit more….

What can i say, i was so exited about that flashlight….

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4342
Location: USA

freeme wrote:

BOSS1 gb is up for discussion today. Apologize to all for the delay, vendor overlooked one of my 4th Jan reply. I proposed for custom upgrade parts but it was turned down due to low demand (<100). Anyway, we will try our best to group buy back on track and list the stock light up for sale soon.

Oh well, stock is acceptable. Time to start setting aside cash for batteries for this ridiculous beast. Silly

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20385
Location: Heart of Texas

Have batteries, will wait.

Nice to see you contemplating again Justin, warming up a bit huh? Wink Beautiful day today, just gorgeous out… 65 and a light breeze, blue skies, but I’m sure we’ll get some nasty yet, always seem to in late Jan or early Feb.

Mitko
Mitko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/19/2014 - 05:20
Posts: 1537
Location: Bulgaria
Quote:
65 and a light breeze

I think its time for you to accept the SI system, that 65 is kinda scary to me
Celsius, meters, good things like that Smile

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA
Mitko wrote:
Quote:
65 and a light breeze

I think its time for you to accept the SI system, that 65 is kinda scary to me
Celsius, meters, good things like that Smile


He was speaking in Celsius.

it gets hot in Texas Wink

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

Mitko
Mitko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/19/2014 - 05:20
Posts: 1537
Location: Bulgaria

OMFG! Realy? I cant believe that! Once i had 54 in Egypt back in 1999 and i never ever want to “feel” it again

65…..and Tamafly costs 130$….Texas isnt a place for me realy :bigsmile: realy 65? Come on, its unholy temperature

shrick
shrick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2014 - 07:15
Posts: 699

Tom… here we go…

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, each LED was tested for 20 seconds.

It was difficult taking photos with my mobile phone of all the readings I took. I eventually only took 2 photos of my setup.

Here I’m measuring a fully charged 25R. I’ve used the 25R to get an indication of the voltage drop when applied to an XP-G2 S4 LED. With initial contact, it dropped to 3.99-4.00 volts.

I then had to dialed in my power supply (seen in the background) to 4.70 volts to get 3.99-4.00 volts when applied to the LED. The wires running from my power supply is thin and quite long.

The wires running from the amp meter to the LED is 18 gauge and around 10cm long. The amp readings I get on this meter is 99% in line with that of my Fluke Clamp Meter.

Here’s what I got. From low to high readings:

IOS XP-G2 S4 2B, domes on

4.6 Amps | 3.97 Volts (18.262 Watts)
4.6 Amps | 3.98 Volts (18.308 Watts)
4.7 Amps | 3.95 Volts (18.565 Watts)
4.7 Amps | 3.96 Volts (18.565 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.94 Volts (18.912 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.94 Volts (18.912 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.95 Volts (18.960 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.95 Volts (18.960 Watts)
4.9 Amps | 3.93 Volts (19.257 Watts)

I then reflowed my only 5 x FastTech XP-G2 S2 2Bs onto 16mm noctigons, domes on

4.6 Amps | 3.97 Volts (18.262 Watts)
5.3 Amps | 3.85 Volts (20.405 Watts)
5.3 Amps | 3.86 Volts (20.458 Watts)
5.4 Amps | 3.85 Volts (20.790 Watts)
5.7 Amps | 3.78 Volts (21.546 Watts)

For the fun of it, I them measured 5 x XM-L2 U4 1C I had available, dedomed

4.7 Amps | 3.95 Volts (18.565 Watts)
4.7 Amps | 3.95 Volts (18.565 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.93 Volts (18.864 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.94 Volts (18.912 Watts)
4.8 Amps | 3.94 Volts (18.912 Watts)

Wink
shrick
shrick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2014 - 07:15
Posts: 699

Sorry, forgot to mention, each LED was tested for 20 seconds.

FmC
FmC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 05:23
Posts: 2194
Location: Brisbane, AU

can wrote:
Mitko wrote:
OMFG! Realy? I cant believe that! Once i had 54 in Egypt back in 1999 and i never ever want to "feel" it again 65.....and Tamafly costs 130$....Texas isnt a place for me realy :bigsmile: realy 65? Come on, its unholy temperature
I think they got you pretty good, I think they were kidding about celcius and Farenheit.

That's right, it only gets that hot down here Wink

Pages