New Convoy Deep Carry clip

182 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan
New Convoy Deep Carry clip

Greetings all.
This new clip has been mentioned in the green S2+ thread but since this clip fits more than just the S2+ I figured it should have its own thread. The clip comes only in black. This is a stainless clip with a black oxide coating that should hold up well. If you care about the story read on past the pictures.

Edit: Simon was referring to something else when he mentioned the oxide coating. The clip is painted black but should still hold up well.

You can buy it on Simon’s store here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/universal-clip-suitable-for-S2-S...

There is a minimum quantity of 5 if you’re just ordering the clip but If you’re ordering anything else from Simon you can always message him and ask him to add a single clip or two to your order.

Here’s what it looks like:

Shown here on a Convoy S2+ shorty making it a sweet EDC IMO.

Shown here on the Convoy M1. I was pleasantly surprised what a great fit it is there.

Shown here on the Convoy C8. Not entirely practical there but it might come in useful depending on the situation.

For those not in the know, this is a project Simon and I worked on over the last few months.
When the BLF A6 was introduced with a deep carry clip I loved the concept but I did not care for the fit and finish on that clip and being a Convoy guy I thought the S2+ line should have a deep carry clip.
I’m a knife guy too and along that journey I became a big fan of deep carry clips. I’m sure this will fit some other light as well. Once I get mine I plan to try it on several. I’m hoping it will fit the BLF A6 and a few others in my collection.

Cheers! Beer

Edited by: J-Dub74 on 01/13/2016 - 13:09
freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 5716
Location: freedailydeals.org

Ordered several days ago. Looking forward for the new clips.

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1160
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Looks really great!
I have one tip, make the battery tube of the lights symmetrical (or make 2 places for the clip), that way the clip can either point up or down. Should be great for the M1/2 and C8 with their bigger heads.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

thijsco19 wrote:
Looks really great!
I have one tip, make the battery tube of the lights symmetrical (or make 2 places for the clip), that way the clip can either point up or down. Should be great for the M1/2 and C8 with their bigger heads.
:bigsmile: I’m already working with Simon to see if we can add a groove at the head of the S2+ for reverse mounting to turn the S series (particularly the short S2+) into a makeshift headlamp. Beer
thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1160
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

I knew you were! Big Smile
Great, it’s just that little bit extra. 0:)

Gunga
Gunga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/28/2014 - 16:56
Posts: 1604
Location: Vancouver, Canada

How’s the feel? How stiff is it? Does it rotate and flex a lot? Is it secure?

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

Gunga wrote:
How’s the feel? How stiff is it? Does it rotate and flex a lot? Is it secure?

I can’t give a first hand review at this time as I have not yet received mine. I will report back when I do. At the start of this, the Roche F6 clip was used as an example for mounting so I’d expect it to be about the same in that regard. Several people here reported that the F6 clip is a nice tight fit on the S2 and S2+ and is reportedly very sturdy it just isn’t a deep carry clip and I really wanted a deep carry clip so we designed this one. I can’t really see Simon giving the green light to a clip that rotates and flexes too much.
Roadie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/02/2015 - 12:54
Posts: 56
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I have the original (bolt and nut) clip and I found the edges pretty sharp, which would cut into the jeans. I plan to file it down and make it rounder. The U-shape band for this new clip seems pretty good but is the edges sharp or is it somewhat rounded?

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

Roadie wrote:
I have the original (bolt and nut) clip and I found the edges pretty sharp, which would cut into the jeans. I plan to file it down and make it rounder. The U-shape band for this new clip seems pretty good but is the edges sharp or is it somewhat rounded?

I do not like that bolt on clip at all. This one should be much more refined. I can’t really accurately comment on the edges until I have one in my hands though.
Roadie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/02/2015 - 12:54
Posts: 56
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I’d love to try out this new clip, but I have to buy 5 at a time. Is there any way I can buy just one?

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

Roadie wrote:
I’d love to try out this new clip, but I have to buy 5 at a time. Is there any way I can buy just one?

Though I mentioned that already but that was in the green S2+ thread. Too many posts… 8)
There is a minimum quantity of 5 if you’re just ordering the clip but If you’re ordering anything else from Simon you can always message him and ask him to add a single clip or two to your order. I added that note to the OP here now too.
THAO916
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 08/08/2015 - 15:22
Posts: 199
Location: Sac,CA

I’m definitely gonna try them on my other tube lights n see how they fit. My green s2+ n clips shipped yesterday, so another week of anticipation. Great work jdub!

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 8 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3304

Looks great on a C8… I guess the main problem with these snap-on clips is that they come off if pulled hard enough, and repeatedly putting them on again will scratch the anodizing, will wait for a review, they look great and I would put one in each S2+

Martini
Martini's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 21 hours ago
Joined: 05/07/2014 - 04:29
Posts: 645
Location: I da ho

I’ve never cared for the bolt on clip either, unless I tightened the screws to the point that the nuts were gouging into the back side of the lanyard holes, the clip would move from side to side. I also had the same problem as Roadie, I bought two of the clips and on both the edges had sharp burs that I had to waste time knocking off with a stone.
These look like they might be a better answer, I’ll have to give them a try, now if I can just find something else I need to buy from Simon’s store.

scdaf wrote:
It’s important to have your restraints within walking distance, lest someone needs restraining. Wink
J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

will34 wrote:
Looks great on a C8… I guess the main problem with these snap-on clips is that they come off if pulled hard enough, and repeatedly putting them on again will scratch the anodizing, will wait for a review, they look great and I would put one in each S2+

If properly made they don’t pull off that easily in my experience but these are valid concerns. My EDC for the last several years has been the Olight I3S which has a snap-on reversable clip. I have snapped it on an off and reversed the clip position countless times without any scratches and you have to apply significant force to get it off. I’d take a picture right now but I lost it again… That’s the curse of ultra-small lights. The I3S is a much lighter flashlight but if properly made the same ruggedness should hold true with the new Convoy clip. As soon as mine arrive I will do some testing. I eagerly await their arrival.
cfy7
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 03/19/2015 - 16:01
Posts: 222
Location: NY, United States

Nice! I just ordered some. Been using the bolt on clips for some of my s2’s for a while now and have been wanting this for some time.

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2538
Location: Between the Mexico's
Roadie wrote:
I’d love to try out this new clip, but I have to buy 5 at a time. Is there any way I can buy just one?

You could use the others on sharpies or other big fat markers….

Tactical hotdog or salami holder….

Tactical curling iron…

You get the point, usually you can find a use for extras…

But Simon is cool, he will usually sell just one or two if you are ordering other stuff…

ALL of my links are non-affiliated for your pleasure...

My Reviews

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

 

You bought yourself some good lights, now  go buy yourself some great pants... Bluffworks

I have no affiliation with Bluffworks, except as a very satisfied customer...

 

 

mapache
mapache's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2015 - 09:34
Posts: 1194
Location: Vic, Aus

I am looking forward to this clip.

For those that don’t want tactical hotdogs, buy a green S2+ and add a couple of clips, problem solved Wink I just spoke to Neal, BG will be stocking these in the new year so that may be an alternate way to buy smaller quantities.

PS Tactical hotdogs made me LOL, just don’t do a google image search, there is one particular unpleasant image.

power911
power911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 762
Location: Malaysia

ah… this came out the moment I ordered my bolt and nut clip.

should’ve waited a while Tired

“Have you forgotten about all those who called you a Bringer of Woe and hunted you like an animal?”
“Normal humans don’t go around killing people and burning towns!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll go with you! So you just follow me and no arguing, okay?”
“Humans m

Keron
Keron's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 hour ago
Joined: 06/14/2014 - 16:54
Posts: 237
Location: Sam's house

holymolly

im a clip guy and this is awesome

taking them right away

i need to stop with the hype on XP-L leds

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

I just found out Simon was referring to something else when he mentioned oxide coating.
I am waiting for confirmation on how this is coated.
It may be that I was correct and that it is indeed black oxide but I wanted to throw this note out until I know for sure.

THAO916
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 08/08/2015 - 15:22
Posts: 199
Location: Sac,CA

I got a pm about posting this up here too. Enjoy

THAO916 wrote:
First impressions on convoy deep carry clip:

-Executed the right way ! Great quality and feels real nice. It’s sturdy, fits nice and tight up against S2/A6. It’s definitely 100x better than the A6 clip. The clip gives a good “snap” when removing from jeans and should have enough space to slide over thicker jeans. I really like these clips, J-Dub and Simon did their thang on these! Olight had better step their deep carry clip game up or price down to compete lol

-Only thing I would have liked to see would be a “slide lip” (don’t know what to call it) like the A6 to help the jean slide to the top. It could prevent some catching of the jean not allowing it to go to the top. Still a top notch clip and this probably wouldn’t matter to most but I thought I’d bring it up with some super nit picking concerns. points finger to guys using another flashlight to find imperfections in anadozing lol Wink

Clip on blue S2+ for good measure 8)

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

THAO916 wrote:
I got a pm about posting this up here too. Enjoy

THAO916 wrote:
First impressions on convoy deep carry clip:

-Executed the right way ! Great quality and feels real nice. It’s sturdy, fits nice and tight up against S2/A6. It’s definitely 100x better than the A6 clip. The clip gives a good “snap” when removing from jeans and should have enough space to slide over thicker jeans. I really like these clips, J-Dub and Simon did their thang on these! Olight had better step their deep carry clip game up or price down to compete lol

-Only thing I would have liked to see would be a “slide lip” (don’t know what to call it) like the A6 to help the jean slide to the top. It could prevent some catching of the jean not allowing it to go to the top. Still a top notch clip and this probably wouldn’t matter to most but I thought I’d bring it up with some super nit picking concerns. points finger to guys using another flashlight to find imperfections in anadozing lol Wink

Clip on blue S2+ for good measure 8)


Thanks. I meant to comment earlier. That look great. Then again if you move it one groove higher you get the true deep carry position but that’s just my opinion. I like that the design gives you a couple mounting options. Beer
THAO916
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 08/08/2015 - 15:22
Posts: 199
Location: Sac,CA

I have them on the top groove after I took that pic lol I’ll take a pic and post later too. The design does give good options and the top grooved is still sturdy as well. I even reversed the clip and had it mounted on my hat the other day when I went night fishing so it does it job nicely.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

THAO916 wrote:
I have them on the top groove after I took that pic lol I’ll take a pic and post later too. The design does give good options and the top grooved is still sturdy as well. I even reversed the clip and had it mounted on my hat the other day when I went night fishing so it does it job nicely.

It even works well in the reverse position? That is AWESOME! I didn’t think that was going to work well until the release of the next S2+ which BTW will have a groove near the head as well specifically for the hat mount. That should prove stellar in the 18350 version. Wink
Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

I have to say, that blue S2+ with the black clip looks awesome.

How accurate is the blue color that picture? Seems deeper than Simon’s pictures. I’m liking the deeper color a lot!

THAO916 wrote:
Clip on blue S2+ for good measure 8)
-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 1922
Location: France, Angers

I have a blue S2+ and the color is more like the one you posted so quite deep yes

"Hey -X3-, do you have a flashlight ?"   "-X3-, can I borrow one of your flashlights ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire : 30+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

SawMaster
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/03/2015 - 17:18
Posts: 1802
Location: SC USA

So how well do these work with heavy blue jean pockets? The bend looks like it might be wide enough and that is the problem I’ve had with every deep-carry clip I’ve had so far. I wear denim most of the time and always at work.The BLF A6 clip is awful in that regard but if this one is good I’ll order some.

Phil

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

SawMaster wrote:
So how well do these work with heavy blue jean pockets? The bend looks like it might be wide enough and that is the problem I’ve had with every deep-carry clip I’ve had so far. I wear denim most of the time and always at work.The BLF A6 clip is awful in that regard but if this one is good I’ll order some.

Phil


It’s designed with a 1/8” (3.1mm) gap. It should fit all but the thickest of jeans. It will definitely be better than the BLF clip but I don’t have mine hand yet so I can’t give you a first hand report. The A6 clips on all of mine were too narrow to fit over jeans without re-bending.
blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 2711
Location: California

Nice clip but looks a bit like it maybe a loose fit if used on thin material clothing…

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2221
Location: Michigan

blueb8llz wrote:
Nice clip but looks a bit like it maybe a loose fit if used on thin material clothing…

LOL… See? You’ll never make everyone happy. Silly

Edit:
In case you are serious I don’t think that will be an issue. The tension that holds it in your pocket is at the point where the bend in the clip (see circled below) meets the body of the flashlight. This should work fine on thin materials as well as accommodating for the thickness of most standard jeans since the spacing in the upper portion of the clip allows for a bit thinker material to slide in up to the radius where it rests. Wink

Pages