Ulrafire 501A

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia
Ulrafire 501A

Didn't like the Solarforce as a P60 CR123a host so I found me an Ultrafire 501A Here is a pic with the Solarforce and an Akoray for comparision.

Used this driver from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7612 A Q5 emitter from DX and the reflector from KD works a treat. I'am working Afternoon shift so it will be my EDC 

501a

Edited by: FlexakaMal on 07/19/2010 - 09:04
rzezniq
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 day ago
Joined: 07/02/2010 - 06:59
Posts: 81
Location: Poland

What's wrong with Solarforce? I just wonder...

brted
brted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 19:44
Posts: 2371
Location: Atlanta

I like it. Where did you find a 501A?

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Kind of inclined to say the same, but we're all different. It is certainly smaller and lighter than the Solarforce though it wouldn't be my personal choice of body. I do have one that came with a very bright MC-E dropin but that got put in a nicer body and a generic single mode R2 got stuck in the 501 body.

 

Decided with my Solarforce that I couldn't stand the forward clicky (Which wasn't cheap so I felt obliged to at least try to use it) except with a single mode dropin so it now has a single mode R5 in it. 

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

rzezniq wrote:

What's wrong with Solarforce? I just wonder...

Bezel too sharp for in pocket use. Very exposed switch. The 501A is abit lighter and shorter as well. I have an extention for the Solarforce and a R5 8.4v 5 mode  dropin I made up to match. So it may become my need alot of runtime light Laughing

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

brted wrote:

I like it. Where did you find a 501A?

On e-bay, checked a few times and they finally showed up  Laughing

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/hkequipment_Ultrafire_W0QQ_fsubZ10841508QQ_sidZ208244845QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

Don wrote:

Kind of inclined to say the same, but we're all different. It is certainly smaller and lighter than the Solarforce though it wouldn't be my personal choice of body. I do have one that came with a very bright MC-E dropin but that got put in a nicer body and a generic single mode R2 got stuck in the 501 body.

 

Decided with my Solarforce that I couldn't stand the forward clicky (Which wasn't cheap so I felt obliged to at least try to use it) except with a single mode dropin so it now has a single mode R5 in it. 

 

Can't say Solarforce lights do anything for me either they are a quality light no doubt, but the styling I'am not a fan of now I have one. 

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

FlexakaMal wrote:

Can't say Solarforce lights do anything for me either they are a quality light no doubt, but the styling I'am not a fan of now I have one. 

 

They have made some odd decisions. I dislike protruding clickies - though you must have larger pockets than me if you are prepared to keep an 18650 light in them. Pay more attention Don - it is a CR123 body. Didn't look at the right hand side of the pic enough to realise this. Excuse me while I slap my head.

 

I didn't realise Ultrafire made such a thing till just now.

 

And the bezel is just plain silly. Having to pay more to get a flat one or nick the head and switch off a very much cheaper Ultrafire/Uniquefire/Whateverfire doesn't seem too rational.

 

I like the lego options but I'm not keen on the default switch or bezel. Only Surefire can get away with making people pay more to then have to spend more money to render it useful.

 

I suppose what really sold the Solarforce to me was the option of 1-4 CR123 or 1-2 18650 - though the thought of an 18V dropin with 4 18650s appeals until I realise the resulting device is going to be over 30cm long. The runtime would be impressive though...

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

Don wrote:

FlexakaMal wrote:

Can't say Solarforce lights do anything for me either they are a quality light no doubt, but the styling I'am not a fan of now I have one. 

 

They have made some odd decisions. I dislike protruding clickies - though you must have larger pockets than me if you are prepared to keep an 18650 light in them. Pay more attention Don - it is a CR123 body. Didn't look at the right hand side of the pic enough to realise this. Excuse me while I slap my head.

 

I didn't realise Ultrafire made such a thing till just now.

 

And the bezel is just plain silly. Having to pay more to get a flat one or nick the head and switch off a very much cheaper Ultrafire/Uniquefire/Whateverfire doesn't seem too rational.

 

I like the lego options but I'm not keen on the default switch or bezel. Only Surefire can get away with making people pay more to then have to spend more money to render it useful.

 

I suppose what really sold the Solarforce to me was the option of 1-4 CR123 or 1-2 18650 - though the thought of an 18V dropin with 4 18650s appeals until I realise the resulting device is going to be over 30cm long. The runtime would be impressive though...

Excused Laughing  I found out about them by chance though for months it seems I could only find them at high prices with $20 shipping!! Just over $10 with free shipping for the body seemed ok to me..

The bezel and switch is just plain crazy!!! makes the copies look a better buy to me with there flat bezel and reccesed switch. Wish I had waited ...

 

I tend not to like any torch with more than 2 batts. 4 x 18650's could make a very big BANG Laughing

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

FlexakaMal wrote:

I tend not to like any torch with more than 2 batts. 4 x 18650's could make a very big BANG Laughing

 

But think of the runtime before it goes bang Wink

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

Don wrote:

FlexakaMal wrote:

I tend not to like any torch with more than 2 batts. 4 x 18650's could make a very big BANG Laughing

 

But think of the runtime before it goes bang Wink

 

LOL yes I guess so hours of enlightenment Laughing

rzezniq
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 day ago
Joined: 07/02/2010 - 06:59
Posts: 81
Location: Poland

FlexakaMal wrote:

rzezniq wrote:

What's wrong with Solarforce? I just wonder...

Bezel too sharp for in pocket use. Very exposed switch. The 501A is abit lighter and shorter as well. I have an extention for the Solarforce and a R5 8.4v 5 mode  dropin I made up to match. So it may become my need alot of runtime light Laughing

 

Oh, I get it now. For me it looks great, but we all have different needs and taste. My pocket light is Akoray k-109.

Nil Einne
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 05/30/2010 - 15:08
Posts: 226
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

OT but so are most of the other comments I guess. I didn't realise there was a WF-505 until saw it at that seller, never really searched ;-P Seems to stop at 505 though. Wonder when/if there'll be a 506? May be the Seraph clones will be called 506 when they get different LEDs (like the XM-L), R5 doesn't exactly seem a good name for them.

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Nil Einne wrote:

OT but so are most of the other comments I guess. I didn't realise there was a WF-505 until saw it at that seller, never really searched ;-P Seems to stop at 505 though. Wonder when/if there'll be a 506? May be the Seraph clones will be called 506 when they get different LEDs (like the XM-L), R5 doesn't exactly seem a good name for them.

 

The 505 looks very much like a WF-502B with a different clip. Finally figured out the A B C D suffixes. Maybe this was obvious to everyone else, but I've just figured out the suffix depends on the number of CR123s you can stuff into the body.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

Nil Einne
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 05/30/2010 - 15:08
Posts: 226
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Don wrote:

The 505 looks very much like a WF-502B with a different clip. Finally figured out the A B C D suffixes. Maybe this was obvious to everyone else, but I've just figured out the suffix depends on the number of CR123s you can stuff into the body.

 

I read it in the CPF wiki while researching the diff between the 501, 502, 503 and 504.

brted
brted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 19:44
Posts: 2371
Location: Atlanta

Yay! Someone reads the Wiki!

Nil Einne
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 05/30/2010 - 15:08
Posts: 226
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Yes http://www.cpfwiki.com/Wiki/index.php/UltraFire was actually quite useful in understanding/confirming the difference between the various Ultrafires. Are you the 2 IPs too i.e. the only contributor to that article?

 

BTW for some reason the thread title always gave be an odd feeling. I just now realised it's Ulrafire not Ultrafire Silly

brted
brted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 19:44
Posts: 2371
Location: Atlanta

Yeah, I wrote it up. I don't remember where I saw about the letter series, but I thought it was pretty worthwhile to know. But then there are too many other Ultrafire models to keep up with them all.

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

brted wrote:

Yeah, I wrote it up. I don't remember where I saw about the letter series, but I thought it was pretty worthwhile to know. But then there are too many other Ultrafire models to keep up with them all.

 

That's for sure!

And variations on a theme - usually for cost-engineering reasons it seems. Like you put there, the Ultrafire C3 SS is a classic example.

 

Just to make it explicit for unintelligent people like me - The Ultrafire P60 lights take the following batteries:

 

WF-xxxA  1xCR123

WF-xxxB  1x18650 2xCR123

WF-xxxC  2x17500/18500 3xCR123

WF-xxxD  2x18650 4xCR123

 

The xxxA/xxxC  and xxxD variants seem to be quite hard to find. DX didn't come up with any.

WF-501D  http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/superfire-wf501d-4xcr123a-xenon-flashlightfx501d-p-407.html

WF-501C  http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/superfire-wf501c-tactical-xenon-flashlight-torchfx501c-p-385.html

WF-501B  Just about everywhere in China will sell you one of these.

WF-501A  http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultrafire-wf501a-tactical-xenon-flashlight-torchfx501a-p-506.html - but not even remotely inexpensive

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Learned something new again today.  I love BLF and of course the members too!  I had to throw that last part in there just so nobody gets jealous. Wink

 And by members I mean the NON-SPAMMING members. Laughing

 

 

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

FlexakaMal
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/15/2010 - 20:39
Posts: 154
Location: Victoria Austrailia

501a

Finally got the tape measure out the Bakery van body is 40 meters away..

old4570
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2010 - 02:44
Posts: 3377
Location: Land of Oz

I contacted Ultrafire [ Wha Fat industries ] and they claim not to make the 501A  [ Ultrafire Clone ? ] In fact there are quite a few Ultrafires they claim not to make ...

Yep , there are the A-B-C-D models of both the 501 and the 502 and under several different brands ... [ Counterfeits as well ] 

I have 2 of the 501A's , and I did have a 502C [ 3xCR123A or 2xAA ] , in fact the 502C makes for a very nice 2xAA host , mine went to a friend who took a liking to it as it was 2xAA rather than the usual 18650 .  

 Always remember , the easiest thing in the world to do , is to expel hot air from your lungs and through some vocal chords ..
The resulting sound may , or may not be worth listening too ….

 

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

Wha Fat uses their HWA/something logo above ultrafire. Sometimes the "copies" use a different small logo, but the "Ultrafire" brand. DX is accused of shipping lights from different factories than the one from their pictures.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/