BLF Lantern Project: Possible SRK-Based BLF-Lantern future GB *UPDATES/May,23,2016 - Field-Test Successfull!

355 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 10035
Location: Amsterdam

Im my opinion, despite all discussion, a lantern should have a downward facing light source, like DBSAR’s prototype. You can add a sideways pointing reflector on top of the Q8, but will then still need very heavy diffusing to prevent looking directly into the leds.

Lanterns should project light sideways and downward, and only little light should go upwards.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 3749
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
DavidEF wrote:
What? Put the cells in 4S to charge? That’s the worst possible way to charge Li-Ion cells! Where did you get the idea that the charger circuit “would need the cells to be in 4S to work effectively”?

I said that it would be faster to charge in 4S, not better. The light would also work better in 4S.

It is very simple why, a USB type C connection can provide up to 100W of power but it can only do that at 20V out output. Thus a 4S would be about perfect at 16.8V.

In 5V mode any USB is limited to around 10 watts.

At 10W (aka, 1,8A) the cells will take about 10-12 hours to charge. Compared to around 2 hours at 100W

Charging in parallel is better long term for sure but it is also MUCH slower.

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -- Frederic Bastiat , French economist(1801-1850)

Texas Avenger Driver Series

My LED Test series - XP-L2 V5  - Nichia 219C 90+ CRILatticebright "XM-L"XHP35 & PWM efficiency - XHP50 - XP-L V5 - XM-L2 U2 - XP-G3 S5  - XP-L HI V2 - Oslon Square & direct comparison to Djozz tests - Nichia 319A - Nichia 219B 9080 CRI - Nichia 219C D320 - Nichia 229AT

How I made a True integrating PVC sphere with no math involved

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 3749
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

djozz wrote:
Im my opinion, despite all discussion, a lantern should have a downward facing light source, like DBSAR’s prototype. You can add a sideways pointing reflector on top of the Q8, but will then still need very heavy diffusing to prevent looking directly into the leds.

Lanterns should project light sideways and downward, and only little light should go upwards.

This is pretty easy to solve really, the bezel screw in point and the size of the lantern reflector could easily block any direct view on the LED’s.

Or worst case you simply turn the Q8 upside down, although that will make it top heavy.

You need the Q8 body to remotely handle the heat unless you plan to limit it to really low outputs.

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -- Frederic Bastiat , French economist(1801-1850)

Texas Avenger Driver Series

My LED Test series - XP-L2 V5  - Nichia 219C 90+ CRILatticebright "XM-L"XHP35 & PWM efficiency - XHP50 - XP-L V5 - XM-L2 U2 - XP-G3 S5  - XP-L HI V2 - Oslon Square & direct comparison to Djozz tests - Nichia 319A - Nichia 219B 9080 CRI - Nichia 219C D320 - Nichia 229AT

How I made a True integrating PVC sphere with no math involved

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 4588
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
Texas_Ace wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
What? Put the cells in 4S to charge? That’s the worst possible way to charge Li-Ion cells! Where did you get the idea that the charger circuit “would need the cells to be in 4S to work effectively”?

I said that it would be faster to charge in 4S, not better. The light would also work better in 4S.

It is very simple why, a USB type C connection can provide up to 100W of power but it can only do that at 20V out output. Thus a 4S would be about perfect at 16.8V.

In 5V mode any USB is limited to around 10 watts.

At 10W (aka, 1,8A) the cells will take about 10-12 hours to charge. Compared to around 2 hours at 100W

Charging in parallel is better long term for sure but it is also MUCH slower.


In order to safely charge a 4S arrangement, you’d need cell balancing, which means a “battery pack” is going to be the only way that makes sense. Randomly throwing in 4 cells and charging them in series is dangerous, and even more so when considering “Fast Charge” capability. Manufacturers can’t afford to leave such an important safety consideration for their customers to figure out. Parallel charging is fast enough, much simpler, and much safer. It isn’t likely anyone will ever find themselves needing a full charge on all 4 cells, and that in a short period of time. If the light needed to be used soon, an incomplete charge would likely suffice, with a full charge left for a more convenient time.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

what_are_birds
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 06/08/2017 - 15:31
Posts: 3
Location: Richmond, VA

I’m very interested in this project!

Would anybody else like to see this lantern with grey anodizing or some color such as blue or green? Maybe it’s just me, but I always find black to be an off-putting color for a lantern. Probably one of the least important aspects of this project, though!

Jesjes
Jesjes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2016 - 17:37
Posts: 121
Location: AUSTRIA

How do you like this colour?

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1139072#comment-1139072

NEW convoy sand/tan!

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4230
Location: Ontario, Canada

Jesjes wrote:
How do you like this colour?

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1139072#comment-1139072

NEW convoy sand/tan!

looks good. Smile sort of like a pewter/titanium anodizing color.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

dekozn
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 426
Location: Be

If the lantern gets onboard charging it should be possible to use while charging and to use it without any batteries in it. So it might be possible (depending on the cell config) to run it from a powerbank or something.

For the Q8 lantern thing, I would just go for a diffuser type of thing. Whenever I use a FL as a lantern I try to hang it up side down above my head, that way all light is projected downward and none is lost.

angerdan
angerdan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 10:07
Posts: 107

Jesjes wrote:
How do you like this colour?
NEW convoy sand/tan!

I like it, it looks very elegant! And fits better into nature than black or silver.

dekozn wrote:
If the lantern gets onboard charging it should be possible to use while charging and to use it without any batteries in it.
So it might be possible (depending on the cell config) to run it from a powerbank or something.

Both points are a very good idea, that would make a lantern useful in very different kind of situations.
asnidi2
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2017 - 23:10
Posts: 10
Location: Germany

I am interested

dekozn
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 426
Location: Be

angerdan wrote:

dekozn wrote:
If the lantern gets onboard charging it should be possible to use while charging and to use it without any batteries in it.
So it might be possible (depending on the cell config) to run it from a powerbank or something.

Both points are a very good idea, that would make a lantern useful in very different kind of situations.

Yeah for sure. Thinking about it though, charging at around 3 to 4A (if 4cells are used in parallel) and running the lantern full throttle could cause for some serious heat building up. But since it’s it not a tube light I believe this can be avoided by way of design. Something that would not be possible with the Q8 for example.

Edit: Instead of using micro usb charging, charging like an olight or the way convoy does would definitely be a step up from al the other light using micro usb.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4230
Location: Ontario, Canada

dekozn wrote:
angerdan wrote:

dekozn wrote:
If the lantern gets onboard charging it should be possible to use while charging and to use it without any batteries in it.
So it might be possible (depending on the cell config) to run it from a powerbank or something.

Both points are a very good idea, that would make a lantern useful in very different kind of situations.

Yeah for sure. Thinking about it though, charging at around 3 to 4A (if 4cells are used in parallel) and running the lantern full throttle could cause for some serious heat building up. But since it’s it not a tube light I believe this can be avoided by way of design. Something that would not be possible with the Q8 for example.

Edit: Instead of using micro usb charging, charging like an olight or the way convoy does would definitely be a step up from al the other light using micro usb.

I have ran the Lantern prototype on maximun mode for 7 + hours continuous with no problems. as the LED emitter is located at the top, The lantern head is the heat-sink, meaning all the heat is kept away & rises up & away from the battery tube and driver areas.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 1562
Location: Michigan
DavidEF wrote:
In order to safely charge a 4S arrangement, you’d need cell balancing, which means a “battery pack” is going to be the only way that makes sense. Randomly throwing in 4 cells and charging them in series is dangerous, and even more so when considering “Fast Charge” capability. Manufacturers can’t afford to leave such an important safety consideration for their customers to figure out. Parallel charging is fast enough, much simpler, and much safer. It isn’t likely anyone will ever find themselves needing a full charge on all 4 cells, and that in a short period of time. If the light needed to be used soon, an incomplete charge would likely suffice, with a full charge left for a more convenient time.

You mean like those hoverboards with no balance circuitry that were catching on fire?

angerdan
angerdan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 10:07
Posts: 107

dekozn wrote:
Instead of using micro usb charging, charging like an olight or the way convoy does would definitely be a step up from al the other light using micro usb.

It would be a nice looking feature, but microUSB has the practical aspect in the field use. Chance to find a common microUSB cable if one get lost is higer than getting an proprietary charge adapter.
For long-term use it could even be helpful to add an USB c-type plug (additionally to microUSB maybe).
dekozn
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 426
Location: Be

DBSAR wrote:

I have ran the Lantern prototype on maximun mode for 7 + hours continuous with no problems. as the LED emitter is located at the top, The lantern head is the heat-sink, meaning all the heat is kept away & rises up & away from the battery tube and driver areas.

I should read the whole threat Facepalm . but that’s great, so charging and running the light should pose no problem.

About usb plug charging. I still think there are better options, specially because it’s a lantern the designer(s) is/are less restricted with space. Maybe the charging cable could be stored secured in/on the lantern. And for long term usage I think it’s better to avoid ubs plugs in the lantern. Check the forum and see how many negative comments there are on usb charging. The convoy or olight way also allows for better water proofing then some silicone thingy over the usb input.
But before all this can be discussed it is needed to know the cell configuration. If it’s 4S or 2S2P usb charging is out of the question I believe.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4230
Location: Ontario, Canada

dekozn wrote:
DBSAR wrote:

I have ran the Lantern prototype on maximun mode for 7 + hours continuous with no problems. as the LED emitter is located at the top, The lantern head is the heat-sink, meaning all the heat is kept away & rises up & away from the battery tube and driver areas.

I should read the whole thread Facepalm . but that’s great, so charging and running the light should pose no problem.

About usb plug charging. I still think there are better options, specially because it’s a lantern the designer(s) is/are less restricted with space. Maybe the charging cable could be stored secured in/on the lantern. And for long term usage I think it’s better to avoid ubs plugs in the lantern. Check the forum and see how many negative comments there are on usb charging. The convoy or olight way also allows for better water proofing then some silicone thingy over the usb input.
But before all this can be discussed it is needed to know the cell configuration. If it’s 4S or 2S2P usb charging is out of the question I believe.

This prototype is 4P configuration, so charging the four cells is safe. I prefer 4P config as the lantern can be run on 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells, is safer, etc. I have tested a TP4056 1A USB charger on 4P 18650 cells and they charge no problem during the day. ( also charging the cells at 250ma each when in 4P series the cells don’t heat up, and last longer over time. A TP charger board can charge the light while its still running, (with light on medium or lower modes so the charger can output more power than is being drawn to both charge cells and power the driver, also that would basically run the light from the USB charger effectively, as once the cells reached full charge the charger would sort of “ float” charge the cells & run the lantern. meaning it can be run from a 12 volt USB adapter, wall USB adapter, etc.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

dekozn
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 426
Location: Be

I don’t really understand. So if you run the light while charging, it still charges the cells at 1A AND runs the light. So it’s putting out like 2 or 3 Amps? Or is it drawing the current from the cells that are being charged?

I find 250mA really low takes like more than 12h to charge. Wouldn’t get away with 500mA ,don’t think it woud heat up the batteries that much but he charging board might get hotter?

Don’t know much about electronics but I think I’d rather see the cells disconnected (electronically) from the driver while charging and that the light is run straight from the input. That way the light is able to run without batteries in it. I don’t even know if that is possible at all but that’s what’s inside my head.

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 6 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 479
Location: Carolinas, USA
DBSAR wrote:
This prototype is 4P configuration, so charging the four cells is safe. I prefer 4P config as the lantern can be run on 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells, is safer, etc. I have tested a TP4056 1A USB charger on 4P 18650 cells and they charge no problem during the day. ( also charging the cells at 250ma each when in 4P series the cells don’t heat up, and last longer over time. A TP charger board can charge the light while its still running, (with light on medium or lower modes so the charger can output more power than is being drawn to both charge cells and power the driver, also that would basically run the light from the USB charger effectively, as once the cells reached full charge the charger would sort of “ float” charge the cells & run the lantern. meaning it can be run from a 12 volt USB adapter, wall USB adapter, etc.

dekozn wrote:
I don’t really understand. So if you run the light while charging, it still charges the cells at 1A AND runs the light. So it’s putting out like 2 or 3 Amps? Or is it drawing the current from the cells that are being charged?

I find 250mA really low takes like more than 12h to charge. Wouldn’t get away with 500mA ,don’t think it woud heat up the batteries that much but he charging board might get hotter?

Don’t know much about electronics but I think I’d rather see the cells disconnected (electronically) from the driver while charging and that the light is run straight from the input. That way the light is able to run without batteries in it. I don’t even know if that is possible at all but that’s what’s inside my head.

I added bold to the important bit above. The charger is supplying 1 Amp to the batteries, split equally between the four batteries installed so they each get 250 ma. As long as the LED is drawing less than the charger is putting in (1 Amp in this case) the batteries are being charged. So assuming that nothing is lost to inefficiency, the formula is:

(I(charger) – I(LED)) / (# of batts) = I (battery)

Lazy-R-us

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4230
Location: Ontario, Canada
Lazy-R-us wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
This prototype is 4P configuration, so charging the four cells is safe. I prefer 4P config as the lantern can be run on 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells, is safer, etc. I have tested a TP4056 1A USB charger on 4P 18650 cells and they charge no problem during the day. ( also charging the cells at 250ma each when in 4P series the cells don’t heat up, and last longer over time. A TP charger board can charge the light while its still running, (with light on medium or lower modes so the charger can output more power than is being drawn to both charge cells and power the driver, also that would basically run the light from the USB charger effectively, as once the cells reached full charge the charger would sort of “ float” charge the cells & run the lantern. meaning it can be run from a 12 volt USB adapter, wall USB adapter, etc.

dekozn wrote:
I don’t really understand. So if you run the light while charging, it still charges the cells at 1A AND runs the light. So it’s putting out like 2 or 3 Amps? Or is it drawing the current from the cells that are being charged?

I find 250mA really low takes like more than 12h to charge. Wouldn’t get away with 500mA ,don’t think it woud heat up the batteries that much but he charging board might get hotter?

Don’t know much about electronics but I think I’d rather see the cells disconnected (electronically) from the driver while charging and that the light is run straight from the input. That way the light is able to run without batteries in it. I don’t even know if that is possible at all but that’s what’s inside my head.

I added bold to the important bit above. The charger is supplying 1 Amp to the batteries, split equally between the four batteries installed so they each get 250 ma. As long as the LED is drawing less than the charger is putting in (1 Amp in this case) the batteries are being charged. So assuming that nothing is lost to inefficiency, the formula is:

(I(charger) – I(LED)) / (# of batts) = I (battery)

You got it. Right now the prototype is running a 2-7135 Q-Lite driver, meaning on high it draws 700mA. the TP4056 i tested still “trickle charged” the cells when running, but charged faster if the lantern is run on medium mode. (roughly 390mA from my tests on this prototype.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4230
Location: Ontario, Canada

dekozn wrote:
I don’t really understand. So if you run the light while charging, it still charges the cells at 1A AND runs the light. So it’s putting out like 2 or 3 Amps? Or is it drawing the current from the cells that are being charged?

I find 250mA really low takes like more than 12h to charge. Wouldn’t get away with 500mA ,don’t think it woud heat up the batteries that much but he charging board might get hotter?

Don’t know much about electronics but I think I’d rather see the cells disconnected (electronically) from the driver while charging and that the light is run straight from the input. That way the light is able to run without batteries in it. I don’t even know if that is possible at all but that’s what’s inside my head.

as mentioned to lazy-r-us, right now the prototype is running a 2-7135 Q-Lite driver, meaning on high-mode it draws 700mA. the TP4056 i tested still “trickle charged” the cells when running the lantern, but charged faster if the lantern is run on medium or low mode. (roughly 390mA from my tests on this prototype on medium-mode) If you run the batteries down to the point the driver low-voltage warning cuts-in then yes it takes a long time to recharge, but average use of 4 to 5 hours in 1 night don’t drain them down much at all, so they onyl need to be topped-up so to speak.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Sordoslux
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/22/2016 - 22:14
Posts: 4

Interested as well.

JorisFRST
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 5
Location: Belgium

Also interested, going to follow this post.

osb40000
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/30/2016 - 14:35
Posts: 38
Location: United States

Very interested, loving the progress!

strayz
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2012 - 18:01
Posts: 370
Location: In the land of the Midnight Sun..

Interested, but also holding off committing until a price is mentioned.

(I did not see one but may have missed it in the pages of reading. )

Pages