*BLF LT1 Lantern Project*~updates (first factory photos & Videos #3858!

3954 posts / 0 new
Last post
chathamh
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 45 sec ago
Joined: 01/11/2019 - 10:10
Posts: 3
Location: Kansas

My wife asked me for an LED lantern last night. This morning I thought to myself, “Wonder if Budget Light Forum has any ideas about what to buy?” Interested, interested, super interested. Please add me to the list.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6953
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Welcome to BLF chathamh! How did you learn about the forum? Have you been lurking and just created an account for this lantern?

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

chathamh
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 45 sec ago
Joined: 01/11/2019 - 10:10
Posts: 3
Location: Kansas

I had a college roommate who was big into lasers, and to a lesser extent flashlights. He’s the one who informed me about BLF, and I’ve been lurking off and on ever since, yes.

Phaserburn
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/12/2012 - 21:33
Posts: 12
Location: CT

Definitely interested!! Glad I didn’t miss this one! Please add me to the list.

The_crx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2017 - 13:56
Posts: 9
Location: Kansas City

Remember seeing this project when it started. I’m very impressed with the progress.

Interested

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 423
Location: Gulf Coast

The_crx wrote:
Remember seeing this project when it started. I’m very impressed with the progress.

Interested

Considering that was 3 years ago……. I am ‘impressed’ that you are impressed Shocked ….. Sorry, I couldnt help myself ……

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6953
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Coscar wrote:
The_crx wrote:
Remember seeing this project when it started. I’m very impressed with the progress.

Interested

Considering that was 3 years ago……. I am ‘impressed’ that you are impressed Shocked ….. Sorry, I couldnt help myself ……


Well, he didn’t say he was impressed with the ‘rate’ of progress. Remember, we’ve had prototype 1 to look at for quite a while, and the original design has definitely been ‘improved upon’ since then! Wink

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 106
Location: NY

Please put me on the list I’m interested. Thanks

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 423
Location: Gulf Coast

DavidEF wrote:
Coscar wrote:
The_crx wrote:
Remember seeing this project when it started. I’m very impressed with the progress.

Interested

Considering that was 3 years ago……. I am ‘impressed’ that you are impressed Shocked ….. Sorry, I couldnt help myself ……


Well, he didn’t say he was impressed with the ‘rate’ of progress. Remember, we’ve had prototype 1 to look at for quite a while, and the original design has definitely been ‘improved upon’ since then! Wink

+1

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 423
Location: Gulf Coast

free Beer tomorrow

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163

Last I heard was that Lexel had been paid to design an all-singing and dancing driver that looks credible.

With provision for tint-shifting, charging circuit, even hooks for powerbank and a load of other stuff, but not yet implemented.

A photo of an actual PCB was given, presumably Barry is having some built up for prototypes at Sofirn/Thorfire.

I think Toykeeper has roughed-out some initial firmware ideas to get it going.

I think that the potential is there, but realistically there is a way to go yet.

DBSAR has stated that real-life issues mean that he can’t give it his full attention at the moment, which I quite understand. But hopefully there is enough momentum for this to keep going now.

I wish this project well, I think it has merit and great potential, and I would like to see it happen one day, and respect the people involved. Genuinely.

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 423
Location: Gulf Coast

Thanks for the updates and other info ….. and, btw….. well said.

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 996
Location: United States

BLF LT1 prototype driver board awaiting test by Sofirn, delayed by chinese new year. Firmware is available. Driver has the charger circuitry, tint ramping. There is hope, but yes it there is still work to be done. Have not seen a MCPCB picture as of yet.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163

Great news. Nice to see one assembled. Thanks. Looking good.

It won’t be needing all those 7135s, but Lexel has provisioned for disconnecting them individually with solder-splash jumpers on the other side, to work out what works in this application. Plenty of development work still to do.

Might even make a good efficient Q8 linear driver alternative for those who don’t require a FET as well. And want to add USB charging.

CNY doesn’t start until February 5 by the way, that’s a month away.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6953
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Tom Tom wrote:

Might even make a good efficient Q8 linear driver alternative for those who don’t require a FET as well. And want to add USB charging.

Hmm… 4.9A to 4x emitters? Not really great for a general purpose flashlight, although more than plenty for this lantern. Perhaps some of the long-term members that still know how to stack 3 or 4 chips high for more current. Wink

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 3846
Location: Canada

Well, the lantern is supposed to be using an absolute max power of 3×7135 per channel, so a max power output of 2.1A is doable without any throttling at all.

4,9A on the other hand would require thermal regulation.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163
DavidEF wrote:
Tom Tom wrote:
Might even make a good efficient Q8 linear driver alternative for those who don’t require a FET as well. And want to add USB charging.
Hmm… 4.9A to 4x emitters? Not really great for a general purpose flashlight, although more than plenty for this lantern. Perhaps some of the long-term members that still know how to stack 3 or 4 chips high for more current. Wink

Back in the day people like MTN were cramming in loads of 7135s onto bespoke drivers for SRKs etc. This has got, I think, 16 total. 5.36 A. Which is plenty for a usable big Q8 sized 4 emitter torch, well heatsinked, that you just want to use indefinitely, rather than in short blasts with a DD FET.

For this lantern, which was never intended to be a mega-blaster, the quantity is excessive. But it is there in the driver design, if wanted.

Remember, it will only have two LEDs of each colour temperature. Total 4. To be modulated for tint-shifting. Averaging only two perhaps. With a questionable thermal path. And is supposed to be efficient and long-running and dependable at what it does. For many hours, or days even, providing useful illumination, even being recharged from a small solar panel between times (design aim, lets see how well the charging circuit manages that).

Quite different from typical BLF pocket-rockets.

It is supposed to last for many many hours. Draining over 5 A is not compatible with that, even with four good 18650 cells in the tube.

That said, I would have a use for this driver in my Q8, in the real world, with suitable firmware. Two banks of 7135s connected in parallel through through the LED wires could work nicely. And if the charging input would also efficiently accept input from a small 12V solar panel (e.g. car battery maintainer), that would be icing on the cake.

That was all part of the original concept. Has that all been forgotten ? Or what a lantern is for ?

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6953
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
Tom Tom wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
Tom Tom wrote:
Might even make a good efficient Q8 linear driver alternative for those who don’t require a FET as well. And want to add USB charging.
Hmm… 4.9A to 4x emitters? Not really great for a general purpose flashlight, although more than plenty for this lantern. Perhaps some of the long-term members that still know how to stack 3 or 4 chips high for more current. Wink

Back in the day people like MTN were cramming in loads of 7135s onto bespoke drivers for SRKs etc. This has got, I think, 16 total. 5.36 A. Which is plenty for a usable big Q8 sized 4 emitter torch, well heatsinked, that you just want to use indefinitely, rather than in short blasts with a DD FET.

For this lantern, which was never intended to be a mega-blaster, the quantity is excessive. But it is there in the driver design, if wanted.

Remember, it will only have two LEDs of each colour temperature. Total 4. To be modulated for tint-shifting. Averaging only two perhaps. With a questionable thermal path. And is supposed to be efficient and long-running and dependable at what it does. For many hours, or days even, providing useful illumination, even being recharged from a small solar panel between times (design aim, lets see how well the charging circuit manages that).

Quite different from typical BLF pocket-rockets.

It is supposed to last for many many hours. Draining over 5 A is not compatible with that, even with four good 18650 cells in the tube.

That said, I would have a use for this driver in my Q8, in the real world, with suitable firmware. Two banks of 7135s connected in parallel through through the LED wires could work nicely. And if the charging input would also efficiently accept input from a small 12V solar panel (e.g. car battery maintainer), that would be icing on the cake.

That was all part of the original concept. Has that all been forgotten ? Or what a lantern is for ?


Maybe I’m the one who missed it, but IIRC, the driver design is limited to 7 chips per channel, total of 14, for 4.9A (unless the 380mA chips are used, then 5.32A would be possible). Several of the long-time members have done stacking in the past to get more, and they could presumably do that with this driver. But most of us current members wouldn’t.

For this lantern, 7 chips per channel is much more than is needed. And the charger is limited to a low rate, despite many members wishing otherwise, because many solar chargers can’t handle too high a current load and will shut off, failing to charge anything at all. So yeah, that concept (using a solar charger for this light) is very much still there.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 996
Location: United States

The present PWB has two 7135s hard wired to drive the two banks of lights. Up to 7 can be connected by applying a solder bridge to the pads on the battery contact side of the driver. Yes, if you do this then you will need to address thermal concerns also. The battery side also has programming pads, and some other bells and whistles I don’t recall presently.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

dotBLF
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 52 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2016 - 19:00
Posts: 51
Location: MA, USA

If I want a second one, do I need to submit two entries? IF that is the case, please put me down for another (I am already #152)

Thanks, I am wicked excited to see it so close!!!!!!

Eraursls1984
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2014 - 01:44
Posts: 190
Location: North Florida

Tom Tom wrote:
…Remember, it will only have two LEDs of each colour temperature. Total 4. To be modulated for tint-shifting. Averaging only two perhaps. With a questionable thermal path. And is supposed to be efficient and long-running and dependable at what it does. For many hours, or days even, providing useful illumination, even being recharged from a small solar panel between times (design aim, lets see how well the charging circuit manages that)…

When did it change from two channels of four? I haven’t seen anything where it changed from 4 × 5000K and 4 × 3000k (maybe 2700K).

Edit:

DBSAR wrote:
update: 2-channel MCPCB designed. Here is the basic design of the 2-channel MCPCB for the lantern for the 3000K ~ 5000K ( or 2700K ~ 5000K LED emitters) to work for the tint ramping. After some tests, i found that having the different color temp LED pads in-line with each other linear from the center post/tube, created the smoothest tint mixing beam pattern. (*Red ring is the white center tube that covers the wires and the center bolt) two other black holes are for screws to mount the MCPCB to the lantern head.
(open to conversation.)

!{height:800px; width:800px}https://i.imgur.com/iMXrGdq.jpg!

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 996
Location: United States

Two channels only. I think the 4 Tom Tom was referring two was 4 LEDs. (Two LEDs of each color temp, 2 color temps, 4 LEDs)

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

Eraursls1984
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2014 - 01:44
Posts: 190
Location: North Florida

sbslider wrote:
Two channels only. I think the 4 Tom Tom was referring two was 4 LEDs. (Two LEDs of each color temp, 2 color temps, 4 LEDs)

Yes, but it’s 2 channels of 4. Not 2 channels of 2. At least that’s what it was supposed to be. You can see the picture of the board in the OP, or click the img in my last post (not sure why it isn’t showing).

It shows 2 channels of 4 LEDs, 8 in total.

Bullmajor
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/02/2018 - 08:54
Posts: 4
Location: Norway

I’m interested in one or two.

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 996
Location: United States

Update to the interest list:

1171 Moe_Suki
1172 Revlio
1173 Sento
1174 paosms
1175 chathamh
1176 Phaserburn
1177 The_crx
1178 woodyt
1179 dotBLF
1180 Bullmajor

interest list sorted by entry number

interest list sorted by user names

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

Jorrail
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2019 - 15:10
Posts: 1
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I am interested in one, two if possible.

Jorrail

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 996
Location: United States

Jorrail wrote:
I am interested in one, two if possible.

Definitely possible, you are on the interest list for two.

Welcome to BLF!!

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5298
Location: Ontario, Canada

sbslider wrote:
Update to the interest list:

1171 Moe_Suki
1172 Revlio
1173 Sento
1174 paosms
1175 chathamh
1176 Phaserburn
1177 The_crx
1178 woodyt
1179 dotBLF
1180 Bullmajor

Updated the OP list Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 5298
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tom Tom wrote:
Last I heard was that Lexel had been paid to design an all-singing and dancing driver that looks credible.

With provision for tint-shifting, charging circuit, even hooks for powerbank and a load of other stuff, but not yet implemented.

A photo of an actual PCB was given, presumably Barry is having some built up for prototypes at Sofirn/Thorfire.

I think Toykeeper has roughed-out some initial firmware ideas to get it going.

I think that the potential is there, but realistically there is a way to go yet.

DBSAR has stated that real-life issues mean that he can’t give it his full attention at the moment, which I quite understand. But hopefully there is enough momentum for this to keep going now.

I wish this project well, I think it has merit and great potential, and I would like to see it happen one day, and respect the people involved. Genuinely.

Correct on that.. things have been very rough as of lately for me with life issues, financial issues, stresses, & preparations to sell my house and sell off a lot of things to move to a different province, but i still will make time to work on this lantern project here with the team here to do what i can to make it a reality as much as i possibly can. Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

staticx57
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2016 - 00:43
Posts: 611
Location: New Jersey, United States

I worry about the quality of the 7135s. The tint mixing firmware really requires high quality parts compatible with all PWM values

Pages