*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated June,02,2020)

11166 posts / 0 new
Last post
DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6293
Location: Ontario, Canada

cu42 wrote:
I am excited about this lantern! Thanks for all the hard work everyone put in.
I am almost ready to put my name in for another one just because I know the first person I show it to is going to want mine!

I have heard this come up a couple of times and it’s not a huge deal, but it is easy to fix.
The logo lettering needs to be all the same font/boldness. The “B” and the “1” are inconsistent with the other letters.
It says a lot for this project if the only thing being pointed out is some lettering in the logo!

The logo font can be altered if the manufacturer can do the change easily. ( the original was a font i don’t remember, but below are two alterations using fonts in Adobe Illustrator – Photoshop. We can use one of these that seems to work using a single font type. (all uppercase)

( HemiHead426 Font)

(Ethnocentric Font)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6293
Location: Ontario, Canada
sbslider wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
Once i receive the test unit i will be looking at the bail to paracord options.
If I recall correctly, a test unit shipped to you, I’m guessing from China. Any idea when you will receive it? As is expressed often, I’m really looking forward to this lantern.

Barry mentioned one was shipped to me a few days ago, but i’m awaiting for the tracking number. (i have no delivery date estimation at this time, but as soon as i know or receive it i will post here.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1570
Location: United States

DBSAR wrote:

Barry mentioned one was shipped to me a few days ago, but i’m awaiting for the tracking number. (i have no delivery date estimation at this time, but as soon as i know or receive it i will post here.
Thumbs Up

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

Relampago
Relampago's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 11:44
Posts: 549

Ethnocentric font.

“Electricity is really just organized lightning”
― George Carlin

JermsMalibu
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/22/2019 - 01:17
Posts: 38
Location: Salem Oregon

I personally like Hemihead426 for the font; it looks cleaner to me. Either way, the lantern is going to be awesome and I don’t really care what the font is. Smile

Quick question though, the production sample looks to have a very heavily frosted/just white plastic globe; won’t that cut down a lot of the light output, while also making a very bright spot to glare in everyone’s eyes? I liked the medium frosted look of the 2nd prototype better for that. Granted, I’m not a lantern expert like DBSAR, nor am I involved in the design and production of it, so I bow out to greater people than I. Thanks for all your work DBSAR, have an awesome day.

CMU_84
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 14:49
Posts: 39
Location: Michigan

Please add me to the interest list.

Thank you

teejay
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/26/2019 - 12:03
Posts: 29
Location: Boise, ID

I’m torn between fixing the kerning between the L and the T, and further throwing off the balance of the left and right side. But that is just the musing of someone with too much time and too few lanterns.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6293
Location: Ontario, Canada

JermsMalibu wrote:
I personally like Hemihead426 for the font; it looks cleaner to me. Either way, the lantern is going to be awesome and I don’t really care what the font is. Smile

Quick question though, the production sample looks to have a very heavily frosted/just white plastic globe; won’t that cut down a lot of the light output, while also making a very bright spot to glare in everyone’s eyes? I liked the medium frosted look of the 2nd prototype better for that. Granted, I’m not a lantern expert like DBSAR, nor am I involved in the design and production of it, so I bow out to greater people than I. Thanks for all your work DBSAR, have an awesome day.

That is one of the concerns i seen, and i will look at once i see the sample to test. in the photos sent to me it does look very heavily frosted, (much more than my V1 & V2 builds) which i will determine once i get the test unit. if its a heavy frost I will request the globe to be much closer to the prototype builds.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

SIGShooter
SIGShooter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 02:10
Posts: 1967
Location: northern california

Below are the additions since last Sunday 4/21. If you haven’t already done so please check that your BLF user name is correct on either of the 2 linked lists shown on post #1. The names on the spreadsheets are taken directly from my database and it is from that source that the PMs will be generated. An incorrect user name means that you won’t be getting a PM when the buy goes live.

Send me a PM only if your name is incorrect

1382 HONDARIDER
1383 HONDARIDER
1384 minusic
1385 muller
1386 muller
1387 mr_magoo
1388 SvenWalker
1389 wstrachan
1390 christoph
1391 Keepitsharp
1392 n8_ball
1393 n8_ball
1394 Hollybrook
1395 pooptoast
1396 Wratz
1397 jimmymke
1398 RD
1399 terranaut
1400 Skuzapo
1401 blammergeier
1402 PleinPhare
1403 royalomaha
1404 headburger
1405 trigger619
1406 jamjar
1407 ChrYoko
1408 joomri
1409 FrozenSTIFF
1410 FrozenSTIFF
1411 renhoek
1412 Deca
1413 Coyotehawk
1414 krisz
1415 supanate7
1416 MokrySedeS
1417 Sparks65
1418 Inkidu
1419 CMU_84

9mm/40cal/45cal bullets and large/small pistol primers available for sale in San Francisco Bay area

Toglud
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 08/18/2018 - 09:25
Posts: 34
Location: Denmark

Please add me to the list for one.
Thanks.

Keisari
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/30/2015 - 16:57
Posts: 220
Location: Finland

Please add me to the list for two (2) units. Thank you.

Lothar
Lothar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 10/26/2011 - 11:22
Posts: 535
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa

DBSAR wrote:

The logo font can be altered if the manufacturer can do the change easily. ( the original was a font i don’t remember, but below are two alterations using fonts in Adobe Illustrator – Photoshop. We can use one of these that seems to work using a single font type. (all uppercase)

( HemiHead426 Font)

(Ethnocentric Font)



I still prefer a this font:

Current Collection:

BLF: BLF-GT90, BLF-GT70 (CW Sliced), BLF GTmini, BLF-LT1; 

BTU: Shocker (3 x SST-40 @ 8A)

Solarforce: L2P (XM-L2 U3 @ 4A), MPP-1 (XP-L HI @ 6A), MPP-3 (3 x XM-L2 U2 @ 12A), M6 (Nichia 319A @ 6A), M8 (XHP-50.2 @ 9A), 9x (9 x XM-L2 U2 @ 2A)

Coming Soon: Lumintop: BLF-GT4; 

Madtoffel
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/07/2018 - 09:46
Posts: 92
Location: Germany (TLF member)

I would also prefer the old/original font. The HemiHead426 font doesn’t look bad either, but is maybe a bit to “industrial” with those splitted letters, while the Ethnocentric font just looks fat.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17013
Location: Amsterdam

DBSAR wrote:
JermsMalibu wrote:
I personally like Hemihead426 for the font; it looks cleaner to me. Either way, the lantern is going to be awesome and I don’t really care what the font is. Smile

Quick question though, the production sample looks to have a very heavily frosted/just white plastic globe; won’t that cut down a lot of the light output, while also making a very bright spot to glare in everyone’s eyes? I liked the medium frosted look of the 2nd prototype better for that. Granted, I’m not a lantern expert like DBSAR, nor am I involved in the design and production of it, so I bow out to greater people than I. Thanks for all your work DBSAR, have an awesome day.

That is one of the concerns i seen, and i will look at once i see the sample to test. in the photos sent to me it does look very heavily frosted, (much more than my V1 & V2 builds) which i will determine once i get the test unit. if its a heavy frost I will request the globe to be much closer to the prototype builds.

Heavy diffusors will probably transmit less light than mild ones, but apart from that:

I’m still planning a write-up about the effect of diffusors on the spectrum (I measured quite a few types now), but the general effect is a lowering (because of scattering more) of the blue peak resulting in a considerably lower CCT, can be almost 1000K for a heavy diffusor on cool white light. Warmer tints are less affected because they already have less blue. The CRI is not much affected btw. So if you want to stay close to the original colour tempeature of the leds, just a mild diffusion is desired.

Btw, this is also a concern for folks who add diffusors to light measuring things.

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2132
Location: Finland
djozz wrote:
Btw, this is also a concern for folks who add diffusors to light measuring things.

Yep, that’s why it is important to compensate for all sorts of surfaces and sheets the light has to travel through/reflect off when measuring light sources in a sphere for example. With a spectrometer that’s easy with an incandescent light source. Just measure the source in free air directly first, then in the sphere, normalize the SPD and create an absorption correction for every wavelength.

For people using the Argyll spotread this is now easier than ever, since I managed to get the developer to implement the compensation in real time with the -E flag using an absorption file. Before I did that manually in Excel.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17013
Location: Amsterdam

Because my sphere measurements are all manual, and with a luxmeter instead of a spectrometer, I can’t do the correction on the spectrum unfortunately. For cool white light my most used sphere causes a CCT lowering of about 600K, that probably makes my readings off by a few percent for cool and warm leds.

cu42
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 day ago
Joined: 02/20/2018 - 14:47
Posts: 182
Location: Allbright, IN

Lothar][quote=DBSAR wrote:

The logo font can be altered if the manufacturer can do the change easily. ( the original was a font i don’t remember, but below are two alterations using fonts in Adobe Illustrator – Photoshop. We can use one of these that seems to work using a single font type. (all uppercase)

I still prefer a this font:

I agree. I do like the style of the original font better. The “B” is just fat around the two curves. It doesnt match the weight of the other letters and makes the left side logo look heavier than it already is.

Either way. When I’m using it and showing it off to everyone, I doubt any of this will be a factor.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1288
Location: France

As it was said in the BLF GT thread :

Texas_Ace wrote:
I have been talking to SB and the BLF font has been selected by him it looks like, so that is settled. BLF now has an official font of “Ubuntu bold” (as soon as get final approval from SB that is).

Texas_Ace wrote:
SB selected the font for “BLF” moving forward as “Ubuntu bold” (still waiting on final approval), so at least that is settled.

Here is a quick test with the Ubuntu Bold Font. (I didn’t verify the copyright (for commercial use, etc)).

Same with the battery tube a tad slimmer :

Pretty sure that the font can be even more “bolderized” in an another application than Gimp.

Here is a subjective selection of fonts|Bowlby+One|Coiny|Concert+One|Exo|Exo+2|Fira+Sans|Jomhuria|Jua|KoHo|Kodchasan|Kosugi+Maru|Lalezar|M+PLUS+Rounded+1c|Mallanna|Mandali|Passion+One|Paytone+One|Poller+One|Titan+One|Viga (I didn’t check all the fonts listed)
Change the text and its size to have a better idea :

Quick test with one from the list (with slimmer battery tube) :

BobG
BobG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 04/21/2019 - 14:19
Posts: 32
Location: US

Please add me to the list. Thanks. And thanks for doing this. Good recognition of the need for one of these.

Martinc5618
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 days ago
Joined: 11/23/2018 - 18:31
Posts: 2
Location: Melbourne Australia

I’m very interested. Put me down for two please!

DAGG3R
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 04/26/2019 - 16:11
Posts: 62

Please add me to the interest list.

Thank you

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13332
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Two please. Orsm work.

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

jon7
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/08/2017 - 19:56
Posts: 13

Please add me to the list for 1 lantern. Thanks!

Ironhorse
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 02/01/2019 - 13:03
Posts: 40
Location: Pennsylvania

Please put me down for 1.

fneuf
fneuf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:57
Posts: 143
Location: Lyon, France

Spoiler: I don't really know how to phrase it correctly and I do not say that to cross someone. But, regarding the font question, I cannot prevent myself to feel the result as misfit. All the BLF collaboratively designed products are well thought, and I feel like the font selection is not up to the task : representing the engineering challenge overcame.

 

Is the Ubuntu Bold really settled, or is debate still opened?

Rise and Shine my precious...

Relampago
Relampago's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 11:44
Posts: 549

I didn’t know the original font was an option, it’s the cleanest look. Still, I’m down to see more font suggestions.

“Electricity is really just organized lightning”
― George Carlin

Lothar
Lothar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 10/26/2011 - 11:22
Posts: 535
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa

Can’t we use the same font as the BLF GT(+ GT70, GTmini, GTmicro) and BLF Q8 in order to create a consistency between all BLF creations?

Current Collection:

BLF: BLF-GT90, BLF-GT70 (CW Sliced), BLF GTmini, BLF-LT1; 

BTU: Shocker (3 x SST-40 @ 8A)

Solarforce: L2P (XM-L2 U3 @ 4A), MPP-1 (XP-L HI @ 6A), MPP-3 (3 x XM-L2 U2 @ 12A), M6 (Nichia 319A @ 6A), M8 (XHP-50.2 @ 9A), 9x (9 x XM-L2 U2 @ 2A)

Coming Soon: Lumintop: BLF-GT4; 

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 877
Location: United Kingdom

Interested

Yummy Yam
Yummy Yam's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/15/2018 - 10:40
Posts: 8

Interested, put me down for one. Thanks

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1288
Location: France

Lothar wrote:
Can’t we use the same font as the BLF GT(+ GT70, GTmini, GTmicro) and BLF Q8 in order to create a consistency between all BLF creations?

I prefer the rounded font of the BLF Q8 (there are 2 font for the BLF GT and are different) and went throught a lot of messages to find its name without result. I tried to find an equivalent but none were as well “balanced” (don’t know if it’s the appropriate word).

Pages