*BLF LT1 Lantern Project* (codes going out for more LT1s, second batch shipping!)

9977 posts / 0 new
Last post
atobe
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 09/14/2019 - 23:27
Posts: 164
Location: California

I would expect at least 500 if you treat them nicely. My laptop battery has 500+ cycles and still holding 80% of it’s rated capacity.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

pooptoast
pooptoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 08/12/2015 - 23:11
Posts: 159

Mine has arrived! So far so good, I really like it. Mine did come with some solder bridge issues, 6 & 7 had been bridged and then unsoldered but one of the extra 5000k bridges was still intact. So, I just went ahead and bridged them all. The only issue is candle mode is now a little overactive but I doubt I will use that mode much outside of the novelty factor.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
pooptoast wrote:
Mine has arrived! So far so good, I really like it. Mine did come with some solder bridge issues, 6 & 7 had been bridged and then unsoldered but one of the extra 5000k bridges was still intact. So, I just went ahead and bridged them all. The only issue is candle mode is now a little overactive but I doubt I will use that mode much outside of the novelty factor.

Over active, as in brighter or faster flicker? the brightness & tint of the candle mode can be adjusted.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

pooptoast
pooptoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 08/12/2015 - 23:11
Posts: 159

It could be entirely placebo but it seemed like candle mode was less flickery before I bridged the connections. I think it’s likely due to the fact that candle mode doesn’t go as dim as it did before bridging. This is not an issue at all for me though and I don’t think its indicitive of any problem with the light. I’m also comparing it with my MF01S and MF01S Mini candle modes which are of course completely different beasts than the LT1.

Th558
Th558's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 544
Location: United Kingdom

Don’t know about the LT1 but on my MF01S candle mode doesn’t look realistic. Sometimes the brightness changes a bit too much but it’s still kinda ok. Other times it just looks like it’s ramping up and down.

Kingjohn
Kingjohn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 09/07/2017 - 16:24
Posts: 169
Location: Austria

Thanks TK for your previous answers!

Another question: I often use the sunset function in the evening. (including the automatic switch off after some time)
But what I miss there, is the possibility to also adjust the brightness. I would like to set it to a dimmer mode…
Is there space left to include this?

spinynorman
Online
Last seen: 10 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 02/07/2017 - 16:14
Posts: 222
Location: Eastern NC

Big nor’easter on the way for Hatteras. 60 mph winds and significant ocean overwash predicted this weekend. I’m glad to have the LT1 along for the ride!

Spacegrass
Spacegrass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2018 - 10:36
Posts: 21
Location: USA

FWIW, I am number 674 on the list and I received an Amazon code this morning.

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 2578
Location: Canuk in NM
Thumbs Up

BLF Member Map Add your name and location.

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3552
Location: Calif
Spacegrass wrote:
FWIW, I am number 674 on the list and I received an Amazon code this morning.


I’m confused. Second batch supposed to start in at least another month wait time. So, is this being provided form the first batch? And who am I asking Blushing

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 507
Location: Gulf Coast
saypat wrote:
And who am I asking Blushing

Definitely not me Sad
It would be nice if we knew how many have actually been sold off the GB.
Im curious how many are waiting for the 2nd batch and maybe color options

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

CheapThrills
CheapThrills's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2011 - 10:45
Posts: 3567
Location: Suomi

I think I did something wrong…

I made the lantern to shopping cart in Aliexpress. Sent my user ID as a message and they replied to continue purchasing it but not paying.
The next button to press there is “Buy Now” and then it processes my credit card…

So I think I just had to order it on regular price…

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 394
Location: New Zealand

CheapThrills wrote:
I think I did something wrong…

I made the lantern to shopping cart in Aliexpress. Sent my user ID as a message and they replied to continue purchasing it but not paying.
The next button to press there is “Buy Now” and then it processes my credit card…

So I think I just had to order it on regular price…

Cancel the order. You’ll receive a refund in a few days

You’re meant to select “other payment option” make sure your credit card isn’t selected

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 394
Location: New Zealand
pooptoast wrote:
Mine has arrived! So far so good, I really like it. Mine did come with some solder bridge issues, 6 & 7 had been bridged and then unsoldered but one of the extra 5000k bridges was still intact. So, I just went ahead and bridged them all. The only issue is candle mode is now a little overactive but I doubt I will use that mode much outside of the novelty factor.

I think they’re meant to be like that. It was mentioned quite awhile ago that it could be made brighter with soldering. It’s stock to have longer runtime in mind

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

amishbill
amishbill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 6 min ago
Joined: 05/01/2019 - 10:03
Posts: 665
Location: GA

Funtastic wrote:

I think they’re meant to be like that. It was mentioned quite awhile ago that it could be made brighter with soldering. It’s stock to have longer runtime in mind

Exactly.

The minimum number of power chips is 3 per channel. They are hard-wired on the driver. Running the lamp like this gives a lower but usable amount of light but maximizes runtime.

There are 4 more per channel that can be enabled by bridging solder pads. In the first run (and probably batch #2) these MUST be closed in sequence. (if you close 5, 6, and 7 but leave 4 open, no power goes to 4, 5, 6 or 7)

Closing all four sets to enable the additional four power chips (total 7 per channel) results in maximum output at the cost of shorter runtime.

As a usable balance of brightness and runtime, all the lanterns should be leaving the factory with chips 4 and 5 enabled.

DIY LT1 battery wrap image. "PDF on Google Drive":https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IHIEOi1NXu868IYNCzIM7D2Ulpxchmww

Fresh Sanyo NCR18650GAs already wrapped "for sale HERE":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69120 if you like.

leftdisconnected
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2018 - 17:41
Posts: 359
Location: United States
Spacegrass wrote:
FWIW, I am number 674 on the list and I received an Amazon code this morning.

Thank you Spacegrass. Though we probably wouldn’t want everyone to plaster the thread with such announcements, it’s very helpful to have some idea of what’s going on. I appreciate it.

RobAllen

byarnell05
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 02:32
Posts: 97
Location: Washington

So I just received a code to purchase one but I am on the list for 3, all in a row. Amazon says the seller has limited the quantity to 1. Anyone have any idea how I can order all 3 with a single use code? Am I going to get 2 more codes via PMs?

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1437
Location: United States

byarnell05 wrote:
So I just received a code to purchase one but I am on the list for 3, all in a row. Amazon says the seller has limited the quantity to 1. Anyone have any idea how I can order all 3 with a single use code? Am I going to get 2 more codes via PMs?

I believe that’s the plan.

Spacegrass wrote:
FWIW, I am number 674 on the list and I received an Amazon code this morning.

I have a couple numbers lower than this on the list (373 and 577), but have not received a code via PM. It appears the numerical order of the list is not being strictly followed, and no one has insight as to what the order will be.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

Dc38
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 01/23/2016 - 02:41
Posts: 33

Great lantern, love it so far. Just a quick update, the anodizing on this lantern is more akin to a type II, I had it hanging from my hip and inadvertently swung it into a wood door frame, and it nicked the light with a tiny portion of anodizing. It doesn’t feel like you have to baby it, but maybe a bottom cap rubber bumper might be a good addition, like a small rubber bracelet or packing rubber bands, or even a shortened rubber beer cozy. Could also help with placement on smoother surfaces.

Free dull see and free dull dumb.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12402
Location: LI NY

Dc38 wrote:
Great lantern, love it so far. Just a quick update, the anodizing on this lantern is more akin to a type II, I had it hanging from my hip and inadvertently swung it into a wood door frame, and it nicked the light with a tiny portion of anodizing. It doesn't feel like you have to baby it, but maybe a bottom cap rubber bumper might be a good addition, like a small rubber bracelet or packing rubber bands.

Anodizing is probably the same level as the Q8 - not the higher quality but decent. Sofirn lights in general are similar quality. It gets pricey to get high quality, and of course it's easy to overrate the anodizing.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10105
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Kingjohn wrote:
sunset function .. possibility to also adjust the brightness … ?

I’m hoping to add that at some point, but I’m not sure when. I really need to make the code smaller somehow before I add new features.

Lately I’ve been focusing mostly on deeper kernel-level changes, like I just recently rewrote the entire interrupt handling system and a lot of the standby and ADC and button code. This fixes some things which needed to be done, but doesn’t really change any user-visible behavior.

For the lantern specifically though, I did at least add SOS. I’m testing the new build now, and am hopeful it can be used in batch 3.

trailhunter
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2015 - 17:56
Posts: 681
Location: Mars
ToyKeeper wrote:
Kingjohn wrote:
sunset function .. possibility to also adjust the brightness … ?

I’m hoping to add that at some point, but I’m not sure when. I really need to make the code smaller somehow before I add new features.

Lately I’ve been focusing mostly on deeper kernel-level changes, like I just recently rewrote the entire interrupt handling system and a lot of the standby and ADC and button code. This fixes some things which needed to be done, but doesn’t really change any user-visible behavior.

For the lantern specifically though, I did at least add SOS. I’m testing the new build now, and am hopeful it can be used in batch 3.

Thank you!

trailhunter
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2015 - 17:56
Posts: 681
Location: Mars
spinynorman wrote:
Big nor’easter on the way for Hatteras. 60 mph winds and significant ocean overwash predicted this weekend. I’m glad to have the LT1 along for the ride!

Nice! Nova here – I need to go back.

byarnell05
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 02:32
Posts: 97
Location: Washington

Has anyone apart of batch 2 been able to order more than 1 light via amazon?

trailhunter
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2015 - 17:56
Posts: 681
Location: Mars

If my name is in batch 2 and batch 3, will that be taken into consideration so I can buy both without having to wait?

Gadfly_OTW
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 11/16/2019 - 01:40
Posts: 1
Location: FL

I’m in for one if this is still going.

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1331
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Got a message this morning from Sofirn with the LT1 code.
It says: “Note: LT1 starts a preorder on Nov 15. Order will be shipped in 15 days.”
Does this mean this is the second batch?

Ordered it trough amazon.de and de delivery is scheduled between Wednesday 11 december and Monday 6 januari.

O26Rcr
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2017 - 02:12
Posts: 41

ToyKeeper wrote:

For the lantern specifically though, I did at least add SOS. I’m testing the new build now, and am hopeful it can be used in batch 3.

Awesome! Thank you, ToyKeeper!

Stereodude
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 23 hours ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 21:14
Posts: 521
Location: US of A

thijsco19 wrote:
Got a message this morning from Sofirn with the LT1 code.
It says: “Note: LT1 starts a preorder on Nov 15. Order will be shipped in 15 days.”
Does this mean this is the second batch?

Ordered it trough amazon.de and de delivery is scheduled between Wednesday 11 december and Monday 6 januari.

I got the same PM from Sofirn and have the same question.
trailhunter
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2015 - 17:56
Posts: 681
Location: Mars

byarnell05 wrote:
Has anyone apart of batch 2 been able to order more than 1 light via amazon?

Just ordered mine

Pages