**BLF Ultimate Lantern Project** -Driver design updates Nov,13,2017 (by DEL

794 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dirt
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/28/2016 - 23:17
Posts: 312

Nice field test! Makes me want to get out fishin. This would be a great light for bike packing with its compact size and great run times. A lot of uses 4 sure!

Andyman
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/12/2016 - 00:29
Posts: 272
Location: United States
DBSAR wrote:
MRsDNF wrote:
Your light really shines. Smile It also looks tiny compared to the others. Well done. The pictures of your camp make one wish they were there.

It really did shine on the trip. Its the compact small size,output & run time that really impressed the group campers, all of them commented they would gladly pay nearly any price for such a light if they were commercially available, as most store-bought factory LED lanterns they have or seen (even the best most expensive LED models) suck in comparison when it comes to compact size, output, run-times, modes, and tint.


Count me among those campers! Wink
osb40000
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/30/2016 - 14:35
Posts: 41
Location: United States

I dig this project. Here are a few thoughts as I think of what I want in a lantern.

1) Durability/Reliability. I want to be able to hang a lantern somewhere if necessary and not worry about it breaking if it drops. I realize this may add a tiny bit of weight but really, if designed properly I think a sturdy lantern is completely within reach. I would also add being somewhat waterproof since I can see someone forgetting to put it away and it raining heavily overnight or at a water crossing or boating getting the lantern briefly submerged. I hope to see the final product made by a quality manufacturer with a proven track record.

2) Lack of glare. That’s probably my biggest complain about how most LED lanterns are designed. It seems like there is just a ton of light spilling directly out the sides and not much going down and below.

3) Run times are absolutely more important for me than extreme brightness. Obviously a good balance of both is the ideal.

4) Useful output modes with a moonlight mode.

5) Way down on the list would be the ability to charge via usb, specifically for use with small solar panels if possible. I know that some chargers won’t charge batteries unless a minimum amount of juice is being provided via the solar panel but that amount varies quite a bit depending upon the charger.

That’s about it, I really love what you’ve done so far and am looking forward to more updates!

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada

osb40000 wrote:
I dig this project. Here are a few thoughts as I think of what I want in a lantern.

1) Durability/Reliability. I want to be able to hang a lantern somewhere if necessary and not worry about it breaking if it drops. I realize this may add a tiny bit of weight but really, if designed properly I think a sturdy lantern is completely within reach. I would also add being somewhat waterproof since I can see someone forgetting to put it away and it raining heavily overnight or at a water crossing or boating getting the lantern briefly submerged. I hope to see the final product made by a quality manufacturer with a proven track record.

2) Lack of glare. That’s probably my biggest complain about how most LED lanterns are designed. It seems like there is just a ton of light spilling directly out the sides and not much going down and below.

3) Run times are absolutely more important for me than extreme brightness. Obviously a good balance of both is the ideal.

4) Useful output modes with a moonlight mode.

5) Way down on the list would be the ability to charge via usb, specifically for use with small solar panels if possible. I know that some chargers won’t charge batteries unless a minimum amount of juice is being provided via the solar panel but that amount varies quite a bit depending upon the charger.

That’s about it, I really love what you’ve done so far and am looking forward to more updates!

This Prototype has all those you listed above, except the built in Charger port. Right now the prototype is very water resistant, (it can handle short submersions) its made of solid aluminum (as its SRK based) it has a great moonlight mode that would allow it to run continuously for months (with the Q-lite Rev. 105 Nanjq driver it has) output is very good with great run times, (700milliamps on high with four 18650 cells all in parallel keeps the XP-L in its most efficient output vs. Amp-draw range, and on medium mode will give you a couple weeks of run time using it 4 hours per night) and with the down-firing LED & reflector design it has the least glare out the side of all the other lanterns i have seen or tested.

A blue-print type drawing and specifications for this prototype will be posted soon, and discussed with Kronos so he can work his magic with manufacturers/brands to get this into a production model soon.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Cula
Cula's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/14/2014 - 02:04
Posts: 318
Location: Croatia

Thumbs up from me DBSAR! Keep up the good work Smile .

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9942
Location: Charente France

Great result man!
A we some build.
Very useful

rag
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/01/2016 - 11:16
Posts: 14
Location: FL

That’s the best lit camp I’ve ever seen! The prototype looks awesome!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 11008
Location: Amsterdam

Great lamp! And now for the production model. But whatever screw-ups there will be in the chinese manufacturing process, it will still be miles better than any lantern for sale today.

electricjelly
electricjelly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2012 - 03:39
Posts: 368
Location: Los Angeles

The Lantern is looking great. Thanks for the update. Im getting excited.

Man, there’s definitely no shortage of lights when you’re around.

Illumenated
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 13:45
Posts: 184
Location: Georgia, USA

Thanks for the update. Great to see the lantern out in the wild. Tint looks gorgeous and run times are impressive!

ri chevy
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/26/2011 - 20:50
Posts: 782
Location: Ocean State

Looks really nice! Just curious on how hot it got when running it continuously on high for long periods of time.

dealgrabber2002
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2014 - 23:51
Posts: 310
Location: California

Nice pic!

osb40000
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/30/2016 - 14:35
Posts: 41
Location: United States

I LOVE IT! You’re doing some really solid work and I can’t wait for these to come to market. Thanks again!

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada
ri chevy wrote:
Looks really nice! Just curious on how hot it got when running it continuously on high for long periods of time.

The top got warm, but not overly hot. Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Tac Gunner
Tac Gunner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/31/2015 - 05:49
Posts: 232
Location: Bluegrass Region/Lake Cumberland Region of Kentucky

This looks great! I like what you are doing with the design and building it based on actual needs and wants of campers.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 1801
Location: Michigan
DBSAR wrote:
A blue-print type drawing and specifications for this prototype will be posted soon, and discussed with Kronos so he can work his magic with manufacturers/brands to get this into a production model soon.

I hope Kronos can find someone other than Manker and Banggood to handle this. I’ve had about all I can take from those two companies.

antiparanoico
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 1143
Location: Dependencia Federal del Uruguay, ex República Oriental del Uruguay (UTC-3)
RobertB wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
A blue-print type drawing and specifications for this prototype will be posted soon, and discussed with Kronos so he can work his magic with manufacturers/brands to get this into a production model soon.

I hope Kronos can find someone other than Manker and Banggood to handle this. I’ve had about all I can take from those two companies.

+1

Manker and Banggood to handle this??? Please avoid it. I do not want a bomb.
I withdraw if they are chosen.

If anything can go wrong, it will.
Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

osb40000
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/30/2016 - 14:35
Posts: 41
Location: United States
RobertB wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
A blue-print type drawing and specifications for this prototype will be posted soon, and discussed with Kronos so he can work his magic with manufacturers/brands to get this into a production model soon.

I hope Kronos can find someone other than Manker and Banggood to handle this. I’ve had about all I can take from those two companies.

^ This. What are everyone’s thoughts on Thorfire? I have a few of their lights and the build quality seems good.

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 10 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1603
Location: Alameda, CA

thank you all for the great work.

for me as previously noted the number one issue is glare. i think this design has covered so many things i would never thought of.

but…

when i think of glare it is the direct line of sight. (we like car headlights becuase we sit in the shadow). imagine how fatiguing it would be to “see” the filliment (point source) of our headlights while driving.

if the design will not allow a larger brim (for lack of a better name) can an allowance be made for an aftermarket brim.

i want to be able to read by it and not have to “see” the actual point source of light. i hope my point both makes sense and gets traction.

again brilliant prototype but i dont see a brim to block the point source of light (for example when walking wih it or setting down on the picnic table).

thank you so much for taking this on.

and as far as mfg i dont think it matters as much as strict adherence to new product release processes. point being that we (the product managers) decide when the spec is frozen and production is started. as i see it ALL! the quality issues on any blf light could have been avoided if the mfg made exactly the light we approved. blf has to date caught every screwup the mfg made. as long as thoes are pre preproduction samples no blood no foul.

until they show they can produce with out screwups we need to be in control of the spec.

they will learn how to build it right the first time.

i would love to see simon and convoy be the mfg/distributor. but if we control when it is approved and when it is ok to produce then BG/manker will also do fine, provided they follow this sensable cavait.

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada

Ronin42 wrote:
thank you all for the great work.

for me as previously noted the number one issue is glare. i think this design has covered so many things i would never thouht of.

but…

when i think of glare it is the direct line of sight. (we like car headlights becuase we sit in the shadow). imagine how fatiguing it would be to “see” the filliment (point source) of our headlights while driving.

if the design will not allow a larger brim (for lack of a better name) can an allowance be made for an aftermarket brim.

i want to be able to read by it and not have to “see” the actual point source of light. i hope my point both makes sense and gets traction.

again brilliant prototype but i dont see a brim to block the point source of light (for example when walking wih it or setting down on the picnic table).

thank you so much for taking this on.

and as far as mfg i dont think it matters as much as stric adherence to new product release processes. point being that we (the product managers) decide when the spec is frozen and production is started. as i see it All the quality issues on any blf light could have been avoided if the mfg made exactly the light we approved. blf has to date caught every screw up the mfg made. as long as thoes are pre preproduction samples no blood no foul.

until they show they can produce with out screw ups we need to be in control of the spec.

they will learn how to build it right the first time.

i would love to see simon and convoy be the mfg/distributor. but if we control when it is approved and when it is ok to produce then BG/manker will also do fine, provided they follow my sensable cavait.

Reducing glare was one of my goals on this. as its impossible to remove the glare completely, i did design it to reduce it quite substantially.
most all current factory lanterns have the LED facing up, or out the sides (where our eyes have it in plain view) i have placed the single LED facing down wards, inside a mildly frosted diffuser, with the LED out of eyes-view when on a table. Also have a close look at the close-up photo of the lantern in the OP, you can see roughly a 1/4 inch solid white “band” around the top of the shade, where that band blocks the point-of-view of the LED form reaching the eye even more when looking at the lantern form the side (as if its resting on a table at eye level.
while the glare is not completely eliminated, (which is impossible to do with any 360 degree area lantern or light, even with an incan bulb) it does have less glare than any of the other LED lanterns we had on the camp trip. When walking with it there was no glare as the LED is facing down. (unless you carried it upside down.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

osb40000
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/30/2016 - 14:35
Posts: 41
Location: United States

I would love to see Simon build this light under the Convoy brand name. All his products seem very solid and he seems to care about high quality craftsmanship.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada
osb40000 wrote:
I would love to see Simon build this light under the Convoy brand name. All his products seem very solid and he seems to care about high quality craftsmanship.

he would be a good one to do it, but no matter who can take on to put it to production will have to start from scratch for tooling, (except for the SRK body base/battery tube which is really the only part that can be found stock on a current manufactured light. Will need to hear Kronos’s input soon on that. (sent him a message on it last night).

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

RayGo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 19:43
Posts: 17
Location: SoCal

I would be interested in this light depending on the price.

CJW
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 04/20/2014 - 11:17
Posts: 28
Location: Texas

in for 1

WWW
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 15:37
Posts: 223

Just beautifull gentlemen!!! Need to start saving now, popswill really like this one!!!

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada

Have not heard back from Kronological yet, ( i’m assuming he’s busy with other projects or work atm) will wait for his input once he chimes in.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9942
Location: Charente France

Shall I ask Thorfire I we can share the CAD drawing of a SRK they gave us?
Or if you PM me your emailaddress I will email it to Barry and you pointing to this thread.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4419
Location: Ontario, Canada
The Miller wrote:
Shall I ask Thorfire I we can share the CAD drawing of a SRK they gave us? Or if you PM me your emailaddress I will email it to Barry and you pointing to this thread.

That could work. I can do up a drawing & full specifications of this if needed.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Jesjes
Jesjes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2016 - 17:37
Posts: 122
Location: AUSTRIA

DBSAR wrote:
The Miller wrote:
Shall I ask Thorfire I we can share the CAD drawing of a SRK they gave us? Or if you PM me your emailaddress I will email it to Barry and you pointing to this thread.
That could work. I can do up a drawing & full specifications of this if needed.

This will make my dreams become truth!
One bottle/can style two complete different lights. Synergie at its best.
Thats the way it should be
The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9942
Location: Charente France

Yeah!
You got to pm me your emailaddress DBSAR Wink

Pages