Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

17366 posts / 0 new
Last post
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15466
Location: Amsterdam

Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?

Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

I’m still waiting on CW version. Lol

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

Hey, if anyone here is interested, Texas_Ace is going to build a limited run of calibrated Lumen Tubes/Spheres (with no math involved!) for those that want to measure their Q8 or any other lights actual output. More details are here.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60100

fluke
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 04/20/2018 - 13:58
Posts: 287
Location: London United Kingdom

Just got mine from Amazon .com, it came from Texas USA to London United Kingdom.

I did not want it shipped form anywhere else.4 Days to UK with priority shipping, OK I paid over the odds $117 with taxes and duty.

 

I have to say I am amazed every time I fire it up. I will be doing a few mods tail spring bypass, double A R Coated lens, brass screws, but to be honest it does not need it.

 

At times it is too bright. Well done to everyone involved in this project.

cu42
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/20/2018 - 14:47
Posts: 117
Location: IN
djozz wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?
Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.

Where do we sign up?!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas
cu42 wrote:
djozz wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?
Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.

Where do we sign up?!


Here you go.
Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List
aginthelaw
aginthelaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2014 - 21:31
Posts: 788
Location: noo joisey

My switch won’t turn the light off when I click it. Usually takes one or a few clicks. Can I pay someone to do everything in lazy’s Thread and install new brass screws? I started the list in October after he posted it and I’m just now finished reading it let alone attempting it.

never fear shadows…it means a light shines nearby

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

aginthelaw wrote:
My switch won’t turn the light off when I click it. Usually takes one or a few clicks. Can I pay someone to do everything in lazy’s Thread and install new brass screws? I started the list in October after he posted it and I’m just now finished reading it let alone attempting it.
Have you got a link to that thread your talking about??

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

aginthelaw
aginthelaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2014 - 21:31
Posts: 788
Location: noo joisey
teacher wrote:
aginthelaw wrote:
My switch won’t turn the light off when I click it. Usually takes one or a few clicks. Can I pay someone to do everything in lazy’s Thread and install new brass screws? I started the list in October after he posted it and I’m just now finished reading it let alone attempting it.
Have you got a link to that thread your talking about??

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1194859#comment-1194859

Post #14159

never fear shadows…it means a light shines nearby

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Thank you…. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

aginthelaw wrote:
My switch won’t turn the light off when I click it. Usually takes one or a few clicks. Can I pay someone to do everything in lazy’s Thread and install new brass screws? I started the list in October after he posted it and I’m just now finished reading it let alone attempting it.

You might give Texas_Ace a PM as he is in the US and might work on it for you.
Pronto
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 15:32
Posts: 5
Location: Poland

Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP!
I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around
but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore.
I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front.
After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore.
Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked”
once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark.
The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see.
What else can I check?
The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4321
Location: Texas

Can someone point me to the process on how to get a new Q8 switch? I don’t mind paying for it! Mine has kept on flickering and just want to get a new one. Thanks! Smile

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15466
Location: Amsterdam

Pronto wrote:
Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP!
I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around
but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore.
I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front.
After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore.
Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked”
once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark.
The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see.
What else can I check?
The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink

Can you check the colour of the springs: are they still shiny gold coloured?
Pronto
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 15:32
Posts: 5
Location: Poland

Yes, they are gold as new!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15466
Location: Amsterdam

AlexGT wrote:
Can someone point me to the process on how to get a new Q8 switch? I don’t mind paying for it! Mine has kept on flickering and just want to get a new one. Thanks! Smile

The Miller was taking care of that when switches from the first batch failed, but I do not think there is another way now.
But I just read that the Sofirn Aliexpress store started selling Q8 drivers, perhaps you could ask them for spare switchboards too?
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

Pronto wrote:
Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP!
I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around
but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore.
I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front.
After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore.
Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked”
once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark.
The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see.
What else can I check?
The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink

A very odd sounding situation. Just to clarify, are your batteries button top or solder blobbed?
AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4321
Location: Texas
djozz wrote:
AlexGT wrote:
Can someone point me to the process on how to get a new Q8 switch? I don’t mind paying for it! Mine has kept on flickering and just want to get a new one. Thanks! Smile
The Miller was taking care of that when switches from the first batch failed, but I do not think there is another way now. But I just read that the Sofirn Aliexpress store started selling Q8 drivers, perhaps you could ask them for spare switchboards too?

Thanks, I’ll inquire with them Smile Beer

Pronto
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 15:32
Posts: 5
Location: Poland
JasonWW wrote:
Pronto wrote:
Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP! I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore. I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front. After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore. Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked” once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark. The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see. What else can I check? The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink
A very odd sounding situation. Just to clarify, are your batteries button top or solder blobbed?

Button top

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163
JasonWW wrote:
cu42 wrote:
djozz wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?
Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.

Where do we sign up?!


Here you go.
Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

That’s not it, I don’t think that project is going anywhere.

See here: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1321712#comment-1321712

Looking forward to rewarding led4power’s entrepreneurialism with a couple of orders, as soon as he’s ready to take them.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas
Pronto wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Pronto wrote:
Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP! I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore. I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front. After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore. Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked” once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark. The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see. What else can I check? The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink
A very odd sounding situation. Just to clarify, are your batteries button top or solder blobbed?

Button top


When you said you looked at the driver, did you remove the retaining ring and look at the other side of the driver?

You can eliminate any potential problems with the battery tube by holding your battery positive directly to the Brass Ring and then running a wire from the battery negative to the driver retaining ring. Try that.

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 19 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 933
Location: Louisiana
Tom Tom wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
cu42 wrote:
djozz wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?
Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.

Where do we sign up?!


Here you go.
Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

That’s not it, I don’t think that project is going anywhere.

See here: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1321712#comment-1321712

Looking forward to rewarding led4power’s entrepreneurialism with a couple of orders, as soon as he’s ready to take them.

They are available now – I Just ordered some w/ LUXEON V’s installed.
Q8 4040

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas
Tom Tom wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
cu42 wrote:
djozz wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
Is it possible to order a Q8 MCPCB separately?
Not that I know of. There will be an aftermarket Q8 MCPCB (led4power is working on that, to be available at led4power.com) for 4040 and 5050 leds, but the stock board for 3535 leds is not separately available.

Where do we sign up?!


Here you go.
Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

That’s not it, I don’t think that project is going anywhere.

See here: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1321712#comment-1321712

Looking forward to rewarding led4power’s entrepreneurialism with a couple of orders, as soon as he’s ready to take them.


It’s the same project, isn’t it? I have not been following it’s progress, but yes, these dual footprint boards are now available by Led4Power.
Pronto
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 15:32
Posts: 5
Location: Poland
JasonWW wrote:
Pronto wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Pronto wrote:
Hi guys, my Q8 is dead Sick HELP! I bought it in January this year at Banggood, used it a few times, mostly it was laying around but I was super happy with that hell of a flashlight until yesterday… fail… it wont turn ON anymore. I have turned it ON yesterday for a short time, about 30 sec and felt that the flashlight was warmer than usually on the front. After turning OFF it wont turn ON anymore. Even if I pull out the batteries (Samsung INR18650-30Q) and put them back in, the flashlight usually “blinked” once when it got power from the batteries or the button was glowing, now it is totally dark. The driver board visually looks OK, nothing seems to be burnt, the bottom spring plate is OK too as far as I can see. What else can I check? The LiIons are charged 4V each Wink
A very odd sounding situation. Just to clarify, are your batteries button top or solder blobbed?

Button top


When you said you looked at the driver, did you remove the retaining ring and look at the other side of the driver?

You can eliminate any potential problems with the battery tube by holding your battery positive directly to the Brass Ring and then running a wire from the battery negative to the driver retaining ring. Try that.

Yes, I almost disassembled the torch completely from the bottom side and from top/front/LED side.
I just can’t take out the LED board, it seems to be glued in with some gray (thermoconductive?) glue.

I followed Your advice and connected the negative of the battery directly to that retaining ring and it seems to work.
The button is glowing and the flashlight can be turned on.
After assembling everything together it is still dead.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

Okay, so it looks like the upper half of the light is good including the driver and emitters.

The problem seems related to the battery tube.

It’s important that the top edge of the battery tube threads in and makes contact with the edge of the driver. Sorry about earlier when I mentioned the driver retaining ring. I don’t actually have a Q8, so I forgot what it looked like.

I recall people mentioning the battery tube o ring being too large and not allowing them to screw the battery tube all the way up until the top edge of it presses against the driver edge. That could be your issue. Test it by removing the O-ring and seeing if the battery tube now screws all the way in and presses against the driver.

It’s also possible that the driver is not sitting down flat on its mounting pads. I remember that the screw holes for the driver were not cut oversized so the screws threaded through the driver and sometimes caused it to sit crooked. You should check that as well.

Pronto
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 15:32
Posts: 5
Location: Poland

Thanks Man, that worked! Crown
That stupid rubber o-ring between the battery comparment and top of the flashlight was the problem.
That’s strange i’ve used all my force to fix it tight with that o-ring and it still prevented contact.
Thanks again!

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 1317
Location: United States , Pa.

I like a story with a happy ending Thumbs Up

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163
JasonWW wrote:
It’s the same project, isn’t it? I have not been following it’s progress, but yes, these dual footprint boards are now available by Led4Power.

Yes, lots of interesting ideas were developed on the original thread, but it seemed a little stalled as far as finalising a specification/design, and someone stepping up to commit to manufacture and distribution.

The Miller asked led4power if he was interested in helping.

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1206355#comment-1206355

He has quietly got on with it. Djozz received the first a few days ago, and it’s looking good:

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1323811#comment-1323811

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11146
Location: Houston Texas

Unfortunately for us guys who can’t do reflows, there still doesn’t seem to be an affordable way to have a CW Q8.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15466
Location: Amsterdam

JasonWW wrote:
Unfortunately for us guys who can’t do reflows, there still doesn’t seem to be an affordable way to have a CW Q8.

Led4power does have reflow service but it requires him to have the correct emitters in stock, but atm he only has 4000K Luxeon V’s and an IR Oslon. No cool white leds.

Pages