Great price! *semi groupbuy* Jaxman Z1 host

166 posts / 0 new
Last post
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

As I’ve said before, I asked Jaxman to sell me a host — long before any of the group stuff happened here.
Before there was any mention of it on their web/sales page.
I did that because I noticed they’d posted a comment in one of the threads here saying they sometimes did sell people hosts.
I took it as a hint and emailed to ask. Got all I asked for and more, promptly.

I’ve seen several sellers start up on AliExpress and have to wrestle with the automatic posting of descriptions and costs that Ali apparently provides by default.
It’s only worth so much bother to deal with these small amounts, either selling or buying.

I’ll buy another host at some point.
Whatever they cost.

And may I recommend Hoop’s copper pills? I just got mine. Beautiful work.

Yeah, I can swap them in and out of one host.
You know how long that will last though.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:
Thank you Teacher! I am glad to see that someone understands just how tight this LED center cover is. Do you happen to know the brand of those snap-ring pliers? I like the tools suggested by George and Miller, however, I would prefer not to wait for the shipping from China if possible.
Your welcome brother, I understand completely. Thumbs Up
I do know the brand, and don’t blame you for not wanting to wait. Wink

They are made by Lisle and I will include a link below that shows them on the Lisle site. If you want this particular brand, I would think most Auto Parts stores would have them in the tool section. At my store they are on a spinning rack with other Lisle tools. Anyway, here is the link below.

Lisle 4600 COMBINATION INTERNAL / EXTERNAL SNAP RING PLIERS

Good luck…….. Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

Brett H wrote:

Thank you Teacher! I am glad to see that someone understands just how tight this LED center cover is. Do you happen to know the brand of those snap-ring pliers? I like the tools suggested by George and Miller, however, I would prefer not to wait for the shipping from China if possible.

........................

........................................

@ Brett H

Here you go (Ships from and sold by Amazon.com):

   U$13.99 Neewer Professional Dual Tip Steel Stainless DSLR Lens Spanner Wrench Lens Range Repair Opening Tool for Most DSLR Cameras  | Amazon

   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5F6ZI2/

 

Best Regards,

George

 

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:

Also, I did in fact notice the decrease in shipping from the cost shown per item. However, in some cases it still seems to be a way to up-charge the price of an item. Here is an example in the two different screenshots below. I added a quantity of 5 of those tiny LED adapters which would add nothing to the cost of shipping. The price for this quantity is 50 cents. However, you can see that the shipping cost increases the total shipping by $3.62 for 50 cents worth of items. The same applies to adding other items. The shipping is increasing far more than it is decreasing. Of course, this is their way of doing things, so it is what it is I guess. I just wanted to point this out.

___________________________________________________________



OK, you were smarter than me then; I did not notice it until I started adding mine up and was “cornfused” about the shipping total. Facepalm That is when I realized the shipping had been discounted on mine and looked back at what you had posted. I was wondering if you had noticed it.

But I did notice what you were saying about the small items. For those 5 – 10 cent parts, $.50 total; the total shipping (before any discount) is $4.87. And shipping for 3 – 40 cent Lens Caps, $1.20 total; shipping (before any discount) is $3.66.

That is the part I did not and still do not understand. That is crazy IMO when other things are being ordered. That stuff could be put in with the other with no consequence.

BUT, I think this part has nothing to do with Jaxman; I think this is indeed a default operation of AliExpress.

In other words, much like you said Brett….. “It is what it is”.

I think my ole’ hero Forrest Gump would say it like this……..
“I’m not a smart man, but if I want this stuff; what else can I do Lieutenant Dan”???
Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

PS, can someone who’s taken a complete light apart confirm exactly where the O-rings go?

Particularly these that fall out

“O-rings outside*2” — slightly smaller, fits around the lens bulge — don’t screw the bezel down hard or this pops out (I only seem to have one of these, but it’d be easy to lose track, it says (“easily damaged, so another”) so perhaps there’s a spare
“O-rings inside*1” — slightly larger, appears to go outside the ‘limitation ring’ on the body of the light/against the lens flange when the bezel is screwed down
“Limitation ring*1” — hard plastic ring, fits into a rectangular cross section groove around the screw-in part

And there’s another O-ring firmly snug in its groove on the body on the outside just past the threads for the bezel, covered when that’s screwed down.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Sure,….

  • 1 O-ring in front rim of bezel before lens goes in
  • 1 O-ring at base of bezel threads
  • 1 O-ring around installed limitation ring

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot; the limitation ring has a very slight inside taper.

  • The wider edge (smaller opening) of the ring goes in towards the pill
  • The slimmer edge (larger opening) of the ring goes toward the lens

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:

Also, I did in fact notice the decrease in shipping from the cost shown per item. However, in some cases it still seems to be a way to up-charge the price of an item. Here is an example in the two different screenshots below. I added a quantity of 5 of those tiny LED adapters which would add nothing to the cost of shipping. The price for this quantity is 50 cents. However, you can see that the shipping cost increases the total shipping by $3.62 for 50 cents worth of items. The same applies to adding other items. The shipping is increasing far more than it is decreasing. Of course, this is their way of doing things, so it is what it is I guess. I just wanted to point this out.

___________________________________________________________



OK, you were smarter than me then; I did not notice it until I started adding mine up and was “cornfused” about the shipping total. Facepalm That is when I realized the shipping had been discounted on mine and looked back at what you had posted. I was wondering if you had noticed it.

But I did notice what you were saying about the small items. For those 5 – 10 cent parts, $.50 total; the total shipping (before any discount) is $4.87. And shipping for 3 – 40 cent Lens Caps, $1.20 total; shipping (before any discount) is $3.66.

That is the part I did not and still do not understand. That is crazy IMO when other things are being ordered. That stuff could be put in with the other with no consequence.

BUT, I think this part has nothing to do with Jaxman; I think this is indeed a default operation of AliExpress.

In other words, much like you said Brett….. “It is what it is”.

I think my ole’ hero Forrest Gump would say it like this……..
“I’m not a smart man, but if I want this stuff; what else can I do Lieutenant Dan”???
Wink

Yeah, I really don’t understand WHO is actually shipping the Jaxman. In this particular order, I ordered 2 -18350 Convoys, which shipped China tracked mail from Convoy, 1 – Hugsby which shipped China small packets from a seller named LED Flashlights 101, and the Jaxman Z1 was sold by Jaxman but used AliExpress shipping from Singapore?

As for the shipping cost, they do give the “appearance” of a discount based on what you said earlier about the total shipping being less that the total of the stated shipping next to each item. BUT, what I did in those two screenshots was simply remove the 5 – 10 cent LED adapters and check the total shipping which went from $22.95 to $19.33! I do realize that some of these items may very well be under priced to begin with, but nonetheless, it doesn’t look good when you take off 50 cents worth of items that don’t weigh anything and your shipping drops $3.62.

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida
keengeorge wrote:

Brett H wrote:

Thank you Teacher! I am glad to see that someone understands just how tight this LED center cover is. Do you happen to know the brand of those snap-ring pliers? I like the tools suggested by George and Miller, however, I would prefer not to wait for the shipping from China if possible.


……………………


………………………………….



@ Brett H


Here you go (Ships from and sold by Amazon.com):


   U$13.99 Neewer Professional Dual Tip Steel Stainless DSLR Lens Spanner Wrench Lens Range Repair Opening Tool for Most DSLR Cameras  | Amazon


   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5F6ZI2/


 


Best Regards,


George


 

Thank you again George! I had seen the Neewer lens spanner wrenches sold on eBay but this looks like it actually comes from Neewer Co. which is preferable. Again I appreciate the help!

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:
I actually did contact Paul through aliexpress messaging. I did not initially let him know how my order was received but rather, simply asked if lights are shipped in the factory brown box. This was the conversation…


Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Did you send him a picture of the crappy white box?? Wink
I have not sent him pictures yet, but in the I am in further communication with him about a lens and a box.
Brett, just one last thought here; I think this could possibly be how the “waters got muddied” somewhat in communications with Jaxman.

Considering there is a language barrier, especially on our end (Jaxman does at least know some English, probably very few of us know any Chinese at all); it might have turned out different if you had just sent a picture of the crappy white box and chipped lens. Along with a short note that asked something simple…….. “what’s up with this”??? Shocked
Not pointing a finger at all my friend, just a thought. Smile Nothing else to say about this from me, I just hope things work out well for you… Wink

Oh yeah, like I mentioned a few months ago; IF all continues to work out I’ll be down your way in Bonita this winter for a few weeks… not sure exactly when yet but I’ll let you know. I do hope we can get together and shoot the breeze a bit, maybe over lunch one day or something. Who knows, we might even shine some lights. Talk later…….. Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

hank wrote:
As I’ve said before, I asked Jaxman to sell me a host — long before any of the group stuff happened here.
Before there was any mention of it on their web/sales page.
I did that because I noticed they’d posted a comment in one of the threads here saying they sometimes did sell people hosts.
I took it as a hint and emailed to ask. Got all I asked for and more, promptly.

I’ve seen several sellers start up on AliExpress and have to wrestle with the automatic posting of descriptions and costs that Ali apparently provides by default.
It’s only worth so much bother to deal with these small amounts, either selling or buying.

I’ll buy another host at some point.
Whatever they cost.

And may I recommend Hoop’s copper pills? I just got mine. Beautiful work.

Yeah, I can swap them in and out of one host.
You know how long that will last though.

OK hank, I have tried to communicate with Paul at Jaxman as you and Miller suggested. In my latest response he appear to be yelling at me, unless he doesn’t know net etiquette, which would be strange since none of his other responses were in caps. Do you have any suggestions here? He doesn’t seem to want to send me a lens, even though he says he will send me a box? Furthermore, I showed him my upcoming order, as Miller stated to do, but he still doesn’t seem to understand that if he is willing to send me a box, then he could simply add a lens in that box and add the box and lens to my new order? Instead he seems intent on giving me a $10 refund, which means I will have to order a new lens and not only pay shipping costs on the lens, but also wait longer for it to ship.

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:
I actually did contact Paul through aliexpress messaging. I did not initially let him know how my order was received but rather, simply asked if lights are shipped in the factory brown box. This was the conversation…


Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Did you send him a picture of the crappy white box?? Wink
I have not sent him pictures yet, but in the I am in further communication with him about a lens and a box.
Brett, just one last thought here; I think this could possibly be how the “waters got muddied” somewhat in communications with Jaxman.

Considering there is a language barrier, especially on our end (Jaxman does at least know some English, probably very few of us know any Chinese at all); it might have turned out different if you had just sent a picture of the crappy white box and chipped lens. Along with a short note that asked something simple…….. “what’s up with this”??? Shocked
Not pointing a finger at all my friend, just a thought. Smile Nothing else to say about this from me, I just hope things work out well for you… Wink

Oh yeah, like I mentioned a few months ago; IF all continues to work out I’ll be down your way in Bonita this winter for a few weeks… not sure exactly when yet but I’ll let you know. I do hope we can get together and shoot the breeze a bit, maybe over lunch one day or something. Who knows, we might even shine some lights. Talk later…….. Smile

Yeah, I have tried to be pretty cordial with him. As you notice, I first just asked if they give the factory boxes with their orders, which had a twofold purpose; 1. I wanted to make sure this light was a legit Jaxman light and 2. I realized there was a possibility that they had changed to a plain white box, since many of the Convoys ship the same way. I really didn’t mean to hijack this thread with my issues, I just thought that in light of the GB here, maybe someone had some pointers which would help me to overcome the communication barriers with Paul. I am sure this can be resolved and I am being plenty patient with him, as I could have easily just called my credit card company and gotten a full refund and told Jaxman to send me a label if they want their light back. However, I am not one to try and get something for nothing. I just wanted the same top-notch quality that others have received from Jaxman. A chip on the edge of the lens if a concern for me and as far as the box is concerned, I do keep all but about two of my lights in their factory box. I am the kind of guy that cleans up my tools when I get done working on the car Smile

You just let me know if you make it down here brother! We will definitely get some lights out if you are able to make it down this year!

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

Wow! I guess my patience has not been rewarded. This is the response I just received from Paul.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

Please don’t prolong this.
Time is money, and you’re spending his.
A thousand words now won’t explain what one good picture could have.

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida
hank wrote:
Please don’t prolong this. Time is money, and you’re spending his. A thousand words now won’t explain what one good picture could have.

Honestly hank, my cell phone camera was not capturing the picture of the chipped lens well at all, this is why I did not send him a picture. Furthermore, I personally don’t understand the whole insistence on a picture from these companies anyway. I mean if I really wanted a free lens that bad, I could send a picture of any broken aspheric lens laying around. AND if I was trying to rip off the company, I simply could have called my credit card company and gotten a full refund and Paul would have to send a prepaid label just to get his light back if he wanted it. As for the box, he eventually told me he sent it in the white box, so a picture was not needed for this.

What dishonest person tries to rip off a company a $10 lens when they are about to order $100 worth of merchandise? I showed him what I am about to order and all he had to do was put a lens in a brown factory box and add it to my order when it left; problem solved! He wouldn’t be sending the lens until my order had been placed, and I told him I would give him the order number. Really not that difficult in my mind. Also, he is completely insistent on giving a $10 refund instead of replacing the lens for reasons unbeknownst to me! So, it doesn’t appear a picture would have gotten him to send me a new lens.

Lastly, my time is money as well! My $58 spent on this light is also money. If this thing had been in the brown box shown in the description and the lens was in good shape, I wouldn’t even be dealing with this right now and nor would Paul. As I said earlier, when I saw the white box, I questioned whether this light was a real or a fake! Jaxman knows people have been faking their lights ever since the Cometa episode, so a little customer assurance with a factory box and expected quality could have gone a long ways here. As for his claim that he was making sure I received the light faster; well, it was not that fast anyway. I only ordered one factory light and it wasn’t even received at the warehouse until a week after I ordered it and then aliexpress shipping was not nearly as quick as the regular China shipping. So, waiting for the factory box really wouldn’t have affected shipping times much.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

What’s your time worth?
You’re spending your time — and his.
Yeah, each order is a special snowflake.
But the orders are going out on an assembly and shipping line.
It’s not like there’s a waiter with a tray and your particular order on it.
It’s a bunch of boxes, meeting a stack of labels, being put together and sent out.
You won’t get someone to go find the box with your name on it, open up the shipment, and put in an extra free replacement lens to save you a shipping cost.
The man said the time has already cost him significantly. $20 is a lot of money.
So is $10.
Take the refund.
This is a cheap lesson for everyone so far. Mistakes were made.
It could become an expensive lesson.

It’s rare to have hosts offered to BLFers. It’s unusual.
Stuff happens.

I’ll come back when this thread is back to building custom lights into these hosts.

If you really, really can’t stand what you got, post it for sale and someone will take it off your hands.

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 991
Location: Spokane, WA

It seems that hosts generally have more issues than completed lights.

mattjk
mattjk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2016 - 18:51
Posts: 180
Location: United Kingdom

There is no issue with the hosts at all i think some blf members are a bit sensitive I’m with jax who cares what box you recieve it in. My lens also has a very small chip in the side but once assembled you cant see it either & if you cant undo a tight retaining ring i would find another hobby

His English is shocking which doesnt help and i generally find chinese VERY reluctant to give refunds i probably would have just sent you another one but i guess they work with very tight profit margins.

It’s a really well made light imo everything fits together lovely a lot of time gone into R&D

Image of “chips” in my lens

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

The hosts are fine.

When I bought a complete Z1 from cnqualitygoods it came in a very small white crappy box. But I don’t care for the boxes of lights for myself.
I did not have any urge to take mibe apart, knowing how much pride Jaxman takes in proper assembly. Hence I bought a host.
I did not looked at the lens, it is in its protection till the whole light is build and tested ready, only then I will touch it.
If some chips like shown above are present it would not bother me, for all I know they are present on the complete Z1 as well, it doesn’t matter since it does not show and I cannot see anything like that as it is assembled or in use. I care about AR coating being there and the proper overal shape, this I do see Wink

Shipping is not nice, I don’t like it but it is how it is.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:

BUT, I think this part has nothing to do with Jaxman; I think this is indeed a default operation of AliExpress.

In other words, much like you said Brett….. “It is what it is”.

I think my ole’ hero Forrest Gump would say it like this……..
“I’m not a smart man, but if I want this stuff; what else can I do Lieutenant Dan”???
Wink

Yeah, I really don’t understand WHO is actually shipping the Jaxman. In this particular order, I ordered 2 -18350 Convoys, which shipped China tracked mail from Convoy, 1 – Hugsby which shipped China small packets from a seller named LED Flashlights 101, and the Jaxman Z1 was sold by Jaxman but used AliExpress shipping from Singapore?

As for the shipping cost, they do give the “appearance” of a discount based on what you said earlier about the total shipping being less that the total of the stated shipping next to each item. BUT, what I did in those two screenshots was simply remove the 5 – 10 cent LED adapters and check the total shipping which went from $22.95 to $19.33! I do realize that some of these items may very well be under priced to begin with, but nonetheless, it doesn’t look good when you take off 50 cents worth of items that don’t weigh anything and your shipping drops $3.62.

I think I pretty well understand what you are saying Brett, and I don’t really disagree with you. But I also think that we may very well never understand the “rhyme or reason” to it or even how the process works. And by “process” I mean the steps that must actually be taken to get a light (in our case) from a manufacturer in China to our chosen ship to address here in the USA.

Whether I, you, or anyone else likes it or not… it just is what it is. Most likely it is not going to change and we can either choose to buy or not to buy.

I fully realize that is a pretty simplistic view point on my part, but I am trying to learn to “choose my battles”. And to me this is one battle I choose not to aggressively ‘fight’. Oh sure, I’ll let my opinion on the subject be known. But even in doing that I also know full well that my measly little opinion is not going to change anything at this moment in the here and now.

It just is what it is…. simple as that.
Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

hank wrote:
What’s your time worth?
You’re spending your time — and his.
Yeah, each order is a special snowflake.
But the orders are going out on an assembly and shipping line.
It’s not like there’s a waiter with a tray and your particular order on it.
It’s a bunch of boxes, meeting a stack of labels, being put together and sent out.
You won’t get someone to go find the box with your name on it, open up the shipment, and put in an extra free replacement lens to save you a shipping cost.
The man said the time has already cost him significantly. $20 is a lot of money.
So is $10.
Take the refund.
This is a cheap lesson for everyone so far. Mistakes were made.
It could become an expensive lesson.

It’s rare to have hosts offered to BLFers. It’s unusual.
Stuff happens.

I’ll come back when this thread is back to building custom lights into these hosts.

If you really, really can’t stand what you got, post it for sale and someone will take it off your hands.

We will just agree to disagree hank. Your analogy about the waiter is incorrect since Paul has twice offered to send a box or even boxes with my next order! This is why I had asked them to simply include a lens in that same box. Simple and logical customer service it would seem.

You keep telling me how “his” time is valuable but go on to suggest that “I” should take my time to package this light and sell it to someone else if I don’t like it. Thus, it is clear you are in defense of the company, which I have seen too many times here on BLF. If I “really, really couldn’t stand” the light I would call my credit card company for a refund. Simple and logical customer recourse it would seem.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8683
Location: Berkeley, California

On speech recognition in Chinese

Quote:

http://alterslash.org/#article-9751381

One of the things that characterises modern Chinese language is the proliferation of homophones (words that sound alike).

The way that Chinese people cope with this is extreme use of context and of spelling; the homophones don’t have the same character. Sometimes Chinese people will clarify meaning by sketching a character in the air, often unconsciously.

If the error rate reduction is so huge based on speech recognition this would suggest that pinyin can replace characters for writing Chinese. And this has been disproved on many occasions; you can literally write an entire story using only the syllable ‘ma’. In pinyin it all comes out as ‘ma’ with the 4 tones. In characters its actually readable. Same with the story of the lion eating poet in the stone den which is all ‘shi’.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:
I actually did contact Paul through aliexpress messaging. I did not initially let him know how my order was received but rather, simply asked if lights are shipped in the factory brown box. This was the conversation…


Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Did you send him a picture of the crappy white box?? Wink
I have not sent him pictures yet, but in the I am in further communication with him about a lens and a box.
Brett, just one last thought here; I think this could possibly be how the “waters got muddied” somewhat in communications with Jaxman.

Considering there is a language barrier, especially on our end (Jaxman does at least know some English, probably very few of us know any Chinese at all); it might have turned out different if you had just sent a picture of the crappy white box and chipped lens. Along with a short note that asked something simple…….. “what’s up with this”??? Shocked
Not pointing a finger at all my friend, just a thought. Smile Nothing else to say about this from me, I just hope things work out well for you… Wink

Oh yeah, like I mentioned a few months ago; IF all continues to work out I’ll be down your way in Bonita this winter for a few weeks… not sure exactly when yet but I’ll let you know. I do hope we can get together and shoot the breeze a bit, maybe over lunch one day or something. Who knows, we might even shine some lights. Talk later…….. Smile

Yeah, I have tried to be pretty cordial with him. As you notice, I first just asked if they give the factory boxes with their orders, which had a twofold purpose; 1. I wanted to make sure this light was a legit Jaxman light and 2. I realized there was a possibility that they had changed to a plain white box, since many of the Convoys ship the same way. I really didn’t mean to hijack this thread with my issues, I just thought that in light of the GB here, maybe someone had some pointers which would help me to overcome the communication barriers with Paul. I am sure this can be resolved and I am being plenty patient with him, as I could have easily just called my credit card company and gotten a full refund and told Jaxman to send me a label if they want their light back. However, I am not one to try and get something for nothing. I just wanted the same top-notch quality that others have received from Jaxman. A chip on the edge of the lens if a concern for me and as far as the box is concerned, I do keep all but about two of my lights in their factory box. I am the kind of guy that cleans up my tools when I get done working on the car Smile

You just let me know if you make it down here brother! We will definitely get some lights out if you are able to make it down this year!


I think maybe I did not get my point across. I am not saying you have done anything “wrong” brother or have not been cordial with Jaxman. I am saying, from what I have read that you posted; I think your initial contact with Jaxman went wrong.
[ 1.) think language & cultural barrier 2.) saying less is actually more if it is said straight to the point ]

How did it go wrong you ask…. Wink
1. There was no mention or picture of the crappy white box
2. No mention of the ‘chipped’ lens

In other words the initial conversation “started down the wrong road” so to speak… through really no fault of your own or even his. (Remember the communication language barrier.)
If in fact this is true… no amount of communication at this point (continuing down the wrong road) is going to get you where you want to be. Continuing down the wrong road probably will not have a harmonious outcome.

I completely understand you wanting to make sure if the light was real, considering when you first posted as far as we knew every Jaxman Z1 had shipped in the cool brown box that almost everyone had raved about when they received their Z1.

And yes, it is totally obvious that you do not want something for nothing… far from it my friend.

And as far as the quality you mentioned, I think if you will take a long hard look at your Z1; you can’t help but see and feel it.

Now, the chip on the edge of the lens………
Well, I can not tell you how to feel about that; neither can anyone else.

I can tell you this though. I have 2 factory Z1’s & 2 host’s (I have not built the hosts yet due to busy summer work schedule… they are a winter project Wink .. ) Until a couple of hours ago I had not even unwrapped the host lens’s & only taken the lens out of one of the factory Z1’s when I first got it.
That changed… just so I could give an accurate report here. FacepalmBig Smile

  • The “working part” of all four lens are absolutely perfect.
  • 1 factory & 1 host have no (zero) chips or imperfections of any kind on the mounting (non-working) edge
  • 1 host lens has a microscopic ‘inclusion’ on the outside edge of the mounting (non-working) edge
  • 1 factory has a minute ‘chip’ on the inside of the mounting (non-working) edge

Nothing mentioned above has or will have any consequence at all on how light shines through the lens. Nor does it in any way affect the high quality of the light in a negative way.
Therefore it does not ‘bother’ me in the least bit. That is how I feel about that.

As far as keeping your boxes, there is not a right or wrong answer to that. And no one, myself included; has any business telling you how you are to feel about that. That is personal preference, nothing more.

Just so happens I keep all my boxes and clean my tools also. Thumbs Up
Does that make me right or wrong? Nope, it is just how I do it. If someone else wants to burn or recycle theirs, good for them. I’ll keep mine, good for me.

Now seeing as you have had someone offer to send you a box, IF you wanted to; you could PM said person your address and have them rescue their box from the recycling bin and mail it to you.
Could possibly be a way out of (what I personally see as) a no win situation my friend.

But only you can decide that buddy. Wink

I will let you know for sure when I am coming, I still have your number.
But, unless something falls completely apart; God Willing I will be there this winter. Thumbs Up
Wink

Oh yeah, the above are just my thoughts on the matter, nothing more. I do hope you will consider them though…..

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Hmm now it is getting a bit too much off topic.
Teacher says it very nice above me.
I saw the strange white box and things are also discussed in the general Z1 topic and there was some recognisement so please continue there Wink

On topic, I see new hosts were ordered, can’t wait for the builds!
I was really stuck on a MTG2 but my Olight R50 is not nice in terms of tint and has a large reflector hole so I am thinking about putting the ….. Nah, how the MTG2 looks in the Z1 is so nice, I go order a driver for it Wink

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

hank wrote:


What a cool picture. I bet a skate boarder or a BMX rider would love that slick ramp on the right. Wink
Especially if the lights were off and it was lighted by a couple of Z1’s. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:
I actually did contact Paul through aliexpress messaging. I did not initially let him know how my order was received but rather, simply asked if lights are shipped in the factory brown box. This was the conversation…


Brett H wrote:
teacher wrote:
Did you send him a picture of the crappy white box?? Wink
I have not sent him pictures yet, but in the I am in further communication with him about a lens and a box.
Brett, just one last thought here; I think this could possibly be how the “waters got muddied” somewhat in communications with Jaxman.

Considering there is a language barrier, especially on our end (Jaxman does at least know some English, probably very few of us know any Chinese at all); it might have turned out different if you had just sent a picture of the crappy white box and chipped lens. Along with a short note that asked something simple…….. “what’s up with this”??? Shocked
Not pointing a finger at all my friend, just a thought. Smile Nothing else to say about this from me, I just hope things work out well for you… Wink

Oh yeah, like I mentioned a few months ago; IF all continues to work out I’ll be down your way in Bonita this winter for a few weeks… not sure exactly when yet but I’ll let you know. I do hope we can get together and shoot the breeze a bit, maybe over lunch one day or something. Who knows, we might even shine some lights. Talk later…….. Smile

Yeah, I have tried to be pretty cordial with him. As you notice, I first just asked if they give the factory boxes with their orders, which had a twofold purpose; 1. I wanted to make sure this light was a legit Jaxman light and 2. I realized there was a possibility that they had changed to a plain white box, since many of the Convoys ship the same way. I really didn’t mean to hijack this thread with my issues, I just thought that in light of the GB here, maybe someone had some pointers which would help me to overcome the communication barriers with Paul. I am sure this can be resolved and I am being plenty patient with him, as I could have easily just called my credit card company and gotten a full refund and told Jaxman to send me a label if they want their light back. However, I am not one to try and get something for nothing. I just wanted the same top-notch quality that others have received from Jaxman. A chip on the edge of the lens if a concern for me and as far as the box is concerned, I do keep all but about two of my lights in their factory box. I am the kind of guy that cleans up my tools when I get done working on the car Smile

You just let me know if you make it down here brother! We will definitely get some lights out if you are able to make it down this year!


I think maybe I did not get my point across. I am not saying you have done anything “wrong” brother or have not been cordial with Jaxman. I am saying, from what I have read that you posted; I think your initial contact with Jaxman went wrong.
[ 1.) think language & cultural barrier 2.) saying less is actually more if it is said straight to the point ]

How did it go wrong you ask…. Wink
1. There was no mention or picture of the crappy white box
2. No mention of the ‘chipped’ lens

In other words the initial conversation “started down the wrong road” so to speak… through really no fault of your own or even his. (Remember the communication language barrier.)
If in fact this is true… no amount of communication at this point (continuing down the wrong road) is going to get you where you want to be. Continuing down the wrong road probably will not have a harmonious outcome.

I completely understand you wanting to make sure if the light was real, considering when you first posted as far as we knew every Jaxman Z1 had shipped in the cool brown box that almost everyone had raved about when they received their Z1.

And yes, it is totally obvious that you do not want something for nothing… far from it my friend.

And as far as the quality you mentioned, I think if you will take a long hard look at your Z1; you can’t help but see and feel it.

Now, the chip on the edge of the lens………
Well, I can not tell you how to feel about that; neither can anyone else.

I can tell you this though. I have 2 factory Z1’s & 2 host’s (I have not built the hosts yet due to busy summer work schedule… they are a winter project Wink .. ) Until a couple of hours ago I had not even unwrapped the host lens’s & only taken the lens out of one of the factory Z1’s when I first got it.
That changed… just so I could give an accurate report here. FacepalmBig Smile

  • The “working part” of all four lens are absolutely perfect.
  • 1 factory & 1 host have no (zero) chips or imperfections of any kind on the mounting (non-working) edge
  • 1 host lens has a microscopic ‘inclusion’ on the outside edge of the mounting (non-working) edge
  • 1 factory has a minute ‘chip’ on the inside of the mounting (non-working) edge

Nothing mentioned above has or will have any consequence at all on how light shines through the lens. Nor does it in any way affect the high quality of the light in a negative way.
Therefore it does not ‘bother’ me in the least bit. That is how I feel about that.

As far as keeping your boxes, there is not a right or wrong answer to that. And no one, myself included; has any business telling you how you are to feel about that. That is personal preference, nothing more.

Just so happens I keep all my boxes and clean my tools also. Thumbs Up
Does that make me right or wrong? Nope, it is just how I do it. If someone else wants to burn or recycle theirs, good for them. I’ll keep mine, good for me.

Now seeing as you have had someone offer to send you a box, IF you wanted to; you could PM said person your address and have them rescue their box from the recycling bin and mail it to you.
Could possibly be a way out of (what I personally see as) a no win situation my friend.

But only you can decide that buddy. Wink

I will let you know for sure when I am coming, I still have your number.
But, unless something falls completely apart; God Willing I will be there this winter. Thumbs Up
Wink

Oh yeah, the above are just my thoughts on the matter, nothing more. I do hope you will consider them though…..

I totally understand what you are saying buddy and yes I was very vague initially and yes, that was intentional. It was intentional because I was approaching this from an investigative point of view. I wanted to see if this white box was something not done at all by Jaxman Co. which would be a clear indication to me that this was a fake. Remember I am not just dealing with Jaxman here but also AliExpress, so I had many concerns about this being a fake or a second quality.

Anyway, as you stated earlier, this thread is about Z1 builds and I apologize for hijacking this thread! I honestly had good intentions of trying to communicate with Paul in the kindest way possible while still getting my issues resolved. Last night I mentioned to him that I could simply call my credit card company for a full refund and Paul’s alleged “new keyboard” issue (he told me the all caps were because of a new keyboard and not yelling) was suddenly resolved and the all caps as well as his tone changed. Much like I stated previously regarding the PayPal claims with GBs, this threat of full action seems to be the most effective way in dealing with these issues. I won’t need to ask here anymore about how to kindly resolve these issues because this will be my tool of choice. So, I would like to kindly drop this issue from this thread and I again apologize to all for taking this thread off its intended course.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

The Miller wrote:
Hmm now it is getting a bit too much off topic.
Teacher says it very nice above me.
I saw the strange white box and things are also discussed in the general Z1 topic and there was some recognisement so please continue there Wink

On topic, I see new hosts were ordered, can’t wait for the builds!
I was really stuck on a MTG2 but my Olight R50 is not nice in terms of tint and has a large reflector hole so I am thinking about putting the ….. Nah, how the MTG2 looks in the Z1 is so nice, I go order a driver for it Wink


Thank you ‘The Miller’, I do have a lucid moment from time to time. Big Smile .. Thumbs Up

I, like you; can’t get away from the thought of using a MTG2 in one of my hosts. What sold me on it were the fantastic beamshots a few guys posted a while back in one of the Z1 threads. They were amazing……… Smile

So, I am starting to get my parts list together and get the stuff ordered real soon and headed my way.

At this point I am still undecided on what to put in the second host. Although I might build it and sell it, then go with the great idea ‘hank’ mentioned about having more than one Z1 pill and changing them out. I like that idea…….. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:
I would like to kindly drop this issue from this thread and I again apologize to all for taking this thread off its intended course.
Your a good man Brett, stuff happens; with all of us sometimes. Smile
Just remember, as I try to each day; the shared words below of someone famous… (not quite sure who…… Wink .. )
They can apply to many things…………

“Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast”.

ciao brother………….. Wink

EDIT……….. Oh yeah, have you decided what LED’s you are going to use in your Z1 hosts??

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Brett H
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 11:20
Posts: 416
Location: Florida

teacher wrote:
Brett H wrote:
I would like to kindly drop this issue from this thread and I again apologize to all for taking this thread off its intended course.
Your a good man Brett, stuff happens; with all of us sometimes. Smile
Just remember, as I try to each day; the shared words below of someone famous… (not quite sure who…… Wink .. )
They can apply to many things…………

“Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast”.

ciao brother………….. Wink

EDIT……….. Oh yeah, have you decided what LED’s you are going to use in your Z1 hosts??

Thank you brother! I am just a “work in progress”. Nothing more, nothing less. Smile

I have not decided what LED’s to use yet but then I have some time while I wait for aliexpress shipping. Although I love the round beam that Dale got in his build, I do know that I will be looking for the highest output possible, as well as the fact that I absolutely want to stick with a single-cell light because I like the size of the Z1 without the extension. So, that eliminates a few of the LED’s mentioned in this thread as they require the higher voltage.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Brett H wrote:

Thank you brother! I am just a “work in progress”. Nothing more, nothing less. Smile

I have not decided what LED’s to use yet but then I have some time while I wait for aliexpress shipping. Although I love the round beam that Dale got in his build, I do know that I will be looking for the highest output possible, as well as the fact that I absolutely want to stick with a single-cell light because I like the size of the Z1 without the extension. So, that eliminates a few of the LED’s mentioned in this thread as they require the higher voltage.


I understand that completely…. same here. Wink

I understand, but you might as well get one that has an extension tube; cause when you see the one I will have this winter with the MTG2 in it you will forget about that second battery and be wanting one too. Big Smile

When those guys posted the beam shots of theirs with the MTG2 a while back……. I was smitten. Wink

Later……….. Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Pages