Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

500 posts / 0 new
Last post
robertkoa
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 10/12/2011 - 17:03
Posts: 197
luminarium iaculator wrote:
robertkoa wrote:
Anyone want to mod a few of these and send me one back – I will send a few extras for you to keep…

It all depends how much you want to pay for good mod.
Maybe you are not aware but proper modding could exceed price of such light for 5X.
So even few extras is low Smile

So good luck in finding one. Thumbs Up

Sending a few Units plus 20 dollars seems reasonable…
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9038
Location: Berkeley, California

Depends on where you live, and how much you buy and ship besides the host — drivers and emitters add up.
You should look up how much you’re going to have to pay for those, and figure shipping to and from whoever offers, if anyone does want to do it for you.

But seriously — once you’ve bought the drivers and emitters, you’ll find a soldering iron is all you need to add, and swap them yourself.

I have bought the “WolfEye” cheapies and wouldn’t bother modding them, they feel like they’re made out of tissue paper.
I doubt they can handle any more heat/power than the stock parts dumps into them.

Just opinion, of course. Others will differ.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Agreed “Sky /pic wolf head / eye”/skywolfeye lights are the worse budget / cheap lights I have bought. I have several lights two times, looking the same but when one has skywolfeye on it the quality is worse.

cbrake10
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/25/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 492
Location: Alabama

Texas_Ace wrote:
Warsun X50, I ordered one of these when they were on sale. I can not recommend them for modding as unless someone knows something I don’t they can not be opened up without damaging them.

It is too bad as the overall light is actually not that bad for the price. The heat path sucks but that could be improved with some work.

I decided to just leave it alone as it is basically the only AA flashlight I have now that is more then a pocket light. Think it was pulling around 1A? stock.

That’s strange. Mine opened up just fine. If I recall the pill might need a strike with a mallet before it unscrews though. Look through the x65 and “nut light” threads

-Clark

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8682
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
cbrake10 wrote:
That’s strange. Mine opened up just fine. If I recall the pill might need a strike with a mallet before it unscrews though. Look through the x65 and “nut light” threads

Got a link? I searched and searched when I got mine but could not find anything. I can’t even figure out how the pill is installed so I can’t figure out how to remove it.

cbrake10
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/25/2014 - 17:04
Posts: 492
Location: Alabama
Texas_Ace wrote:
cbrake10 wrote:
That’s strange. Mine opened up just fine. If I recall the pill might need a strike with a mallet before it unscrews though. Look through the x65 and “nut light” threads

Got a link? I searched and searched when I got mine but could not find anything. I can’t even figure out how the pill is installed so I can’t figure out how to remove it.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/39574#comment-778969

-Clark

Woytas
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/08/2016 - 01:02
Posts: 308
Location: Poland

Anyone tried this one?
Skywolfeye A2

Cheap, short, side switch and built-in charging (or detonator…hard to say).

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9038
Location: Berkeley, California

Yeah, search for “skywolfeye” here and you’ll find various people’s comments.

Shorter: lightest, thinnest, flimsiest, cheapest ….

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Thread Resurrection!

I recently stumbled upon a photo of this newer side switch zooming light (the Wowtac A3S), and thought it was very interesting as there aren’t many good quality side switch zoomies at a decent price.

Looking at this light made me remember this thread I started back in 2016, it appears there’s been a lot of new models introduced since then, so I thought I’d try and resurrect the thread for 2018! I didn’t want to start a new thread so there wouldn’t be two of the same.

It looks like the zooming market segment is alive and well and has shown no signs of slowing down in the past year, I’m excited to see what 2018 brings.

I’ve updated the list in the OP, added 28 models plus a section on UniqueFire, I’ve deleted ones that are no longer available and fixed any dead links to clean it up and bring it current. Hope to hear of some more to add!

http://wowtac.com/wowtac-a3s-zoomable-1000-lumen/ (Added to list)

 

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13794
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

There's a number of zoomies in this thread:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/56186

The one that appealed to me most, and the one that I ordered, is the ThorFire TA13 from AliExpress.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5991
Location: Ślōnsk

Severe Cold zoomie:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Severe-Cold-Super-Bright-Rechargeable-CREE-XML-L2-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoom-Adjustable-Hiking-Searching-LED/32779310700.html

Jerommel’s comments:
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1249249#comment-1249249

I received mine yesterday, haven’t tried outside. The optic ain’t great, in flood there’s a dark hole in the middle of the beam. Otherwise it’s fair enough.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2092
Location: United states

I am interested in ordering a jaxman z1 zoomie light. Any opinion? Which led should i get? Thanks

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1163
Location: Earth

Hey guys how about this 1. I just picked one up.

I zoom 1600 lumen zoomable. light. Have not had to open it. Any insight. Here’s link

https://www.amazon.com/iZoom-Super-Bright-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B0735PN...

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2109
Location: Palo Alto CA

Great work!!
I love my UF-1504. Got it from MTN as a DIY host and theirs is a generic unbranded version. Paired with a FET boost driver, XPL-HI V3 and IMR 26650 its all I need. It ewasily far out-throws the range of my own vision, which admittedly is very poor, even with my coke bottle glasses. For the price I paid, and its overall size I don’t think I can get more peak lux AND open flood when defocused. I want to try the UF-1508, but my understanding is that it doesn’t zoom far out at all, so its only good for one thing.

For the longest time I hated zoomy lights, but the 1504 changed all that. When it is de-focused it has a very wide flood beam… very versatile and useful.

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

raccoon city wrote:

There’s a number of zoomies in this thread:


http://budgetlightforum.com/node/56186


The one that appealed to me most, and the one that I ordered, is the ThorFire TA13 from AliExpress.

ThorFire TA13 (added to list)

Thanks raccoon, actually I had that one marked for the update and thought I included it, not sure what happened…

How do you like it?

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Agro wrote:
Severe Cold zoomie:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Severe-Cold-Super-Bright-Rechargeable-CREE-XML-L2-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoom-Adjustable-Hiking-Searching-LED/32779310700.html

Jerommel’s comments:
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1249249#comment-1249249

I received mine yesterday, haven’t tried outside. The optic ain’t great, in flood there’s a dark hole in the middle of the beam. Otherwise it’s fair enough.

Looks nice but the black hole scares me…. Silly

Also….

“Sorry, this item is no longer available!”

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Newlumen wrote:
I am interested in ordering a jaxman z1 zoomie light. Any opinion? Which led should i get? Thanks
Guess it depends on what you’re after…

Best throw:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-Z1-Turning-Optical-Zoom-...CREE-XML2-26650-flahligth/1812094_32607285965.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.3605e590ZaMmCz

Highest brightness (more light but less throw than the one above)
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-Z1-Turning-Optical-Zoom-...CREE-XHP50-26650-LED/1812094_32480542912.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.3605e590ZaMmCz

Shorty (like above but short tube)
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-Z1-with-26350-battery-Zo...CREE-XHP50-XHP50-2-LED/1812094_32833104809.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.3605e590ZaMmCz

High CRI (like the 2 above but better color rendering and warm tint)
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-Z1-Turning-Optical-Zoom-...CREE-XML2-26650-flahligth/1812094_32840010969.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.3605e590ZaMmCz
Also for the High CRI the description shows 2×26650, not sure why they’re showing single tube in the photos. And the title shows XM-L2 but it is actually XHP50.

 

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13794
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

beam0 wrote:

ThorFire TA13 (added to list)

Thanks raccoon, actually I had that one marked for the update and thought I included it, not sure what happened…

How do you like it?

I'll let you know when I receive it.  :THUMBS-UP:

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

raccoon city wrote:

beam0 wrote:

ThorFire TA13 (added to list)


Thanks raccoon, actually I had that one marked for the update and thought I included it, not sure what happened…


How do you like it?



I’ll let you know when I receive it.  alt=:" />

OK, sorry I misunderstood thought you got it already.

Found a few more for the list in your thread, thanks for posting the link.

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

kramer5150 wrote:
Great work!!
I love my UF-1504. Got it from MTN as a DIY host and theirs is a generic unbranded version. Paired with a FET boost driver, XPL-HI V3 and IMR 26650 its all I need. It ewasily far out-throws the range of my own vision, which admittedly is very poor, even with my coke bottle glasses. For the price I paid, and its overall size I don’t think I can get more peak lux AND open flood when defocused. I want to try the UF-1508, but my understanding is that it doesn’t zoom far out at all, so its only good for one thing.

For the longest time I hated zoomy lights, but the 1504 changed all that. When it is de-focused it has a very wide flood beam… very versatile and useful.

!https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4602/28381507499_ed8ab1873a_c.jpg!

Thanks, and thanks for posting about your 1504, nice photos!

I wonder if one was built like yours but with regular XPL (not HI) would it have more light/brightness in full flood mode, but still have some good throw?

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Sofirn SF30A (added to list)

Thanks raccoon and MascaratumB!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Zoom-able-LED-flashlight-Powerful-LED-Flashlight-Cree-500LM-Torcia-High-Powered-Torch-Linternas-18650-Battery/2933049_32796780777.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.5bdadf47QHFmf6

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

mmalive wrote:
Hey guys how about this 1. I just picked one up.

I zoom 1600 lumen zoomable. light. Have not had to open it. Any insight. Here’s link

https://www.amazon.com/iZoom-Super-Bright-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B0735PN...

Nice, let us know if it runs on 9xAAA!

“Includes (9) “AAA” batteries”

.

v v LOL v v

?? !!

.

.

.

.
I was recently looking at this one 2xAAA:
https://www.amazon.com/YETO-One-mode-Water-resistant-Self-defense-Flashl...

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

(Added to list)- another XHP50 zoomy

These two appear to be the same light… just different branding

UltraFire MAX01 (XHP50)
XANES 1401B (XHP50)

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

(Added to list)- a higher quality zoomie?

Looks like a flat lens, Fresnel type? Or maybe just a flat outer lens?

https://www.banggood.com/Fitorch-P30Z-XP-L2-750Lumens-5Modes-High-Bright...LED-Flashlightt-p-1205117.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

 

Bo4ka
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/14/2017 - 11:27
Posts: 84
Location: Germany

What’s the longest throwing zoomie?

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Zoomie with triple LED, very strange… it throws 3 separate spots!

I wonder if they come together in flood mode.

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-3506-3x-XML-T6-1500Lumnens-5Modes-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight-18650AAA-p-1194175.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

Bo4ka wrote:
What’s the longest throwing zoomie?

Personally I don’t know, maybe one of the Uniquefire 14xx 15xx ?

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3264
Location: Pennsylvania

.

16340 Ultrafire

12000 Lumen ! Facepalm

.

Mini-Tactical-Flashlight-Zoomable-12000LM

.

 

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2486
Location: Sweden

I have an interest in zoomies as I use them for underground photography, and the wideness of the flood beam as one of my main interests. I’ve clicked on all zoomies in the OP and I think very few of them can match the wide flood of this one: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002775/1206500 (comes in a variety of different “brands”).
I have quite a selection of zoomies and so far this one is unrivaled in terms of wide flood, so obviously I think your list is incomplete without at least one that uses the same host.

Thanks for the list though, I’ve spotted one or two that might be able to compete with my favorite and will order. The Warsun looks particularly interesting because of it’s sliding distance. In a sliding zoomie the sliding distance is a tell tale sign of how much the beam width can be adjusted. After all the zoomies I’ve been through I know if a sliding zoomie has sliding distance of less than 1.5 cm I don’t have to bother with it.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13794
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Mike C wrote:

I’ve clicked on all zoomies in the OP and I think very few of them can match the wide flood of this one: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002775/1206500(link is external)(comes in a variety of different “brands”).

Do you know if that zoomie comes in a non-disco flavor?

Pages