[Official] Astrolux S41S Quad Nichia 219B/ CREE XP-G3 1600LM Group Buy

1199 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 4704
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Strange that they don’t have the black one with a copper ‘engine’.

..waiting for parts..

Still looking for 5” parabolic reflector (for recoil light)

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 968
Location: Sweden
Jerommel wrote:
Strange that they don’t have the black one with a copper ‘engine’.

Indeed!

At least they should offer it as an option (for a few dollars more?).
Maybe they are willing to offer it as a special for BLF?

They already have the cost/trouble of sourcing two different heads.
Maybe they should offer a mix and match / build your own version?

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 665
Location: Carolinas, USA

Is it just me or does the Colored version look like the lens ring is cross threaded and crooked? Leaning to the right maybe?

Lazy-R-us

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 968
Location: Sweden
Lazy-R-us wrote:
Is it just me or does the Colored version look like the lens ring is cross threaded and crooked? Leaning to the right maybe?

Sure looks like it’s not too well made…

LightRider
LightRider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 08/05/2015 - 09:52
Posts: 2007
Location: U.P. MI, USA
Lazy-R-us wrote:
Is it just me or does the Colored version look like the lens ring is cross threaded and crooked? Leaning to the right maybe?

I’m guessing it’s a poor photoshop job. The S41s has a crooked head/body as well. Smile

desmondkun
desmondkun's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 12/11/2016 - 14:51
Posts: 172
Location: Thailand

I’m not lucky with s41s. Ordered 2 times, got problems both times.
First time, ordered S41a head. Arrived 4 days ago. Led’s dome damaged eventhough I haven’t unscrew it’s head(may accidentally unscrew the bezel when I unscrew the head but I’ts just 1/4 turn at most). I can noticed it only in moonlight mode. 4 leds still work fine. This may reduce it’s efficient a little but still work fine in real life. I contacted banggood for compensation and still waiting for result.
  

From the picture, it’s in moonlight mode.
 
Second order, I ordered SS body tube and SS tail cap(they’re out of stock when I order the head). Got them today. Tail cap is fine but body tube has strange color. Don’t know why, may be because they forgetting something or do coating before machining or whatever. I ordered it because of it’s looks, though. I contacted them and waiting for reply.



 
Sorry for low quality pics. My cheap cellphone’s camera just died and these pics were taken by a cheaper one. lol
  

Take care of your flashlight and your flashlight will take care of you.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 5280
Location: freedailydeals.org

TIR can be easily replaced. PM me if you need help for your order.

desmondkun wrote:
I'm not lucky with s41s. Ordered 2 times, got problems both times. First time, ordered S41a head. Arrived 4 days ago. Led's dome damaged eventhough I haven't unscrew it's head(may accidentally unscrew the bezel when I unscrew the head but I'ts just 1/4 turn at most). I can noticed it only in moonlight mode. 4 leds still work fine. This may reduce it's efficient a little but still work fine in real life. I contacted banggood for compensation and still waiting for result.    !http://upic.me/i/o3/15-06-2017-105704.jpg! From the picture, it's in moonlight mode.   Second order, I ordered SS body tube and SS tail cap(they're out of stock when I order the head). Got them today. Tail cap is fine but body tube has strange color. Don't know why, may be because they forgetting something or do coating before machining or whatever. I ordered it because of it's looks, though. I contacted them and waiting for reply. !http://upic.me/i/8t/17-06-2017-1648192.jpg! !http://upic.me/i/z3/17-06-2017-1640152.jpg! !http://upic.me/i/z3/17-06-2017-1651212.jpg!   Sorry for low quality pics. My cheap cellphone's camera just died and these pics were taken by a cheaper one. lol   
desmondkun
desmondkun's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 12/11/2016 - 14:51
Posts: 172
Location: Thailand
freeme wrote:

TIR can be easily replaced. PM me if you need help for your order.

Thanks. I contacted banggood and they gave me a refund. It’s not worth much but better than nothing. w

Take care of your flashlight and your flashlight will take care of you.

Steven
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/31/2016 - 14:09
Posts: 2

Apologies if this is not the right thread for this, but I have a question about how to configure the S41S.

Just got a S41S from banggood and I can’t seem to change the mode grouping or toggle memory mode. I turn it on, click 15 times, wait for the 2 blinks then turn it off after the two blinks to toggle that specific option. Is that the correct procedure to set the configuration? Is there some trick to it? I’ve tried this 4 or 5 times now and can’t change the mode grouping or toggle memory mode. Light seem stuck in group 1 with memory mode off.

Edit: Looks like it was my error. I needed to turn off between the two blinks not after than.

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 1514
Location: Pennsylvania

Does the S41 have Bistro or A6 UI?

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"                                     

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 5280
Location: freedailydeals.org

A6 firmware for S41/ S41S, according to their product descriptions. 

beam0 wrote:
Does the S41 have Bistro or A6 UI?
g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 929
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY

freeme wrote:
A6 firmware for S41/ S41S,

+1

I have the S41s and I can confirm that it has A6 firmware

Sorry for my bad English (gogole translator)

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 6623
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

I’ve occasionally heard that the later batches of S41 may have had bistro, but I’m not sure. Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

The voltage-spike thing has been fixed in later BLF drivers, but last I heard, it was still a problem on banggood’s bistro drivers.

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 806
Location: Indonesia

I can confirm that my S41 which i received a week or two weeks ago and it uses the same firmware as the BLF A6 firmware.

ToyKeeper wrote:
I’ve occasionally heard that the later batches of S41 may have had bistro, but I’m not sure. Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

The voltage-spike thing has been fixed in later BLF drivers, but last I heard, it was still a problem on banggood’s bistro drivers.

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 1514
Location: Pennsylvania

ToyKeeper wrote:
I’ve occasionally heard that the later batches of S41 may have had bistro, but I’m not sure.
Thought I read this somewhere too, but wasn’t sure if I had it confused with another light.

ToyKeeper wrote:
Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

The voltage-spike thing has been fixed in later BLF drivers, but last I heard, it was still a problem on banggood’s bistro drivers.

Thanks! I was wondering why it would have A6 since this came out after the X6 II, but that explains it.

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"                                     

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 968
Location: Sweden

Ordered one of these:
https://www.banggood.com/12_8×3_2cm-Astrolux-Flashlight-Protected-Bag-H...

It was delivered today, but the embroidered name is not Astrolux, it’s MATEMINCO.
Makes it kinda obvious who is producing Astrolux for BangGood.

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 929
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY
RollerBoySE wrote:
, but the embroidered name is not Astrolux, it’s MATEMINCO. Makes it kinda obvious whos is producing Astrolux for BangGood.

And MATEMINCO still is…

#1132 of this thread

Sorry for my bad English (gogole translator)

fedcas
fedcas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 19:42
Posts: 175
Location: Italy

ToyKeeper wrote:
I’ve occasionally heard that the later batches of S41 may have had bistro, but I’m not sure. Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

The voltage-spike thing has been fixed in later BLF drivers, but last I heard, it was still a problem on banggood’s bistro drivers.

Hello toykeeper, thanks for pointing that out Wink do you know what kind of problems do that caused? I mean, is it some obvious malfunction or is it more about working regularly for a while and then risking to fail later?

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 6623
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
fedcas wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

Hello toykeeper, thanks for pointing that out Wink do you know what kind of problems do that caused? I mean, is it some obvious malfunction or is it more about working regularly for a while and then risking to fail later?

What happens is that the driver reboots. When the FET opens it lets current through, then when it closes it causes kind of a shockwave strong enough to reboot the MCU. So, in the strobe mode, for example, it’ll flash once or twice and then go directly to moon. Or it can go from turbo to moon, or one of the higher FET modes to moon, on its own.

Basically, if it runs at full power it reboots itself and goes to moon.

The attiny13a is tolerant enough to keep running regardless, even when it’s getting far more voltage than it’s spec’d for. But the attiny25v doesn’t respond well to these voltage spikes, and it reboots.

Newer driver designs eliminated the voltage spikes, but I don’t think banggood has any of those newer designs.

CoolJB
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 15:28
Posts: 70
Location: Memphis, TN

RollerBoySE wrote:
Ordered one of these:
https://www.banggood.com/12_8×3_2cm-Astrolux-Flashlight-Protected-Bag-H...

It was delivered today, but the embroidered name is not Astrolux, it’s MATEMINCO.
Makes it kinda obvious who is producing Astrolux for BangGood.

I got one of those too. Ordered 2 of the holsters, one had astrolux, the other has mateminco on it.

fedcas
fedcas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 19:42
Posts: 175
Location: Italy
ToyKeeper wrote:
fedcas wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Originally it was going to use bistro, but the drivers were too sensitive to voltage spikes and couldn’t handle the amps of a multi-emitter light. So they used the older blf-a6 drivers instead, which are more tolerant.

Hello toykeeper, thanks for pointing that out Wink do you know what kind of problems do that caused? I mean, is it some obvious malfunction or is it more about working regularly for a while and then risking to fail later?

What happens is that the driver reboots. When the FET opens it lets current through, then when it closes it causes kind of a shockwave strong enough to reboot the MCU. So, in the strobe mode, for example, it’ll flash once or twice and then go directly to moon. Or it can go from turbo to moon, or one of the higher FET modes to moon, on its own.

Basically, if it runs at full power it reboots itself and goes to moon.

The attiny13a is tolerant enough to keep running regardless, even when it’s getting far more voltage than it’s spec’d for. But the attiny25v doesn’t respond well to these voltage spikes, and it reboots.

Newer driver designs eliminated the voltage spikes, but I don’t think banggood has any of those newer designs.

I see, that’s good to know, thanks a lot for the explanation and for your awesome work! Wink

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4367
Location: South Europe

Any chance we could get new deal for Astrolux S41S SS ?

 

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 929
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY
Sirius9 wrote:
Any chance we could get new deal for Astrolux S41S SS ?

This is the one I know: https://www.banggood.com/collection-2072.html

Sorry for my bad English (gogole translator)

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4367
Location: South Europe

Thanks g_sintornillos ,
anything I should be aware before ordering? I see that many people were not satisfied with QC, mostly damaged emitters, leds with different tint etc!
I wanted to go for Nichia version.

 

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 929
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY

First batch was for oblivion, high failure rate and DOA, then improved
I do not know what’s happening with the current batch, Astrolux is not characterized by having a minimum quality control, it can be a lottery

Mine, from second or third batch, bought at the end of 2016, works fine from out the box

Sorry for my bad English (gogole translator)

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 2640
Location: Calif
Sirius9 wrote:
Any chance we could get new deal for Astrolux S41S SS ?

check out post #366

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54067?page=12

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4367
Location: South Europe

Thanks, I wanted one for a long time but all this hiccups turned me off, hope they improved the light, wouldn’t like to get faulty nichia led, don’t have those at hand.

 

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 5280
Location: freedailydeals.org

Astrolux S41S SS - from $32.26 ($64.95)/ Coupon: 8A955D

Nichia 219B / CREE XP-G3 / CREE XP-G2

Sirius9 wrote:
Any chance we could get new deal for Astrolux S41S SS ?

Pages