New Convoy C8 – Clearly better

1530 posts / 0 new
Last post
SIGShooter
SIGShooter's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 02:10
Posts: 1791
Location: northern california

J-Dub74 wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
Dale,
Thank you very much for your welcoming and quick answer!
I’m not sure if I’ll ever go onto “modding” as I don’t have expertise or tools to do that!
But one thing I’m sure, I like to have a flashlight with me, so I’ll always keep one or two around…in each house division, and I’ll refine my taste to always get better lights!

Concerning my questions, you clarified the most important things, so I guess I’ll talk to Simon and ask if he minds to put the “biscotti” in the flashlight!
I already contacted him before about a similar thing and he seemed very open to send me a “customized” flashlight, but then I saw this firmware and now I’ll go for it as I’m sure it will work on S2+!…

Also, thanks for confirming/informing that the mode level I intend to use the most will be feasible with the 8 7135 chips! I don’t want to be charging the batteries all the time, I don’t want the light to burn my hands, but I also want a flexible driver to allow me a wide range of possibilities. Biscotti will certainly do it !
SO , thanks to those who developed it and to those who promote these developments!
And thanks Dale!!

Stephenk,
I also thank you for the answer, and I guess I won’t mind paying some extra money to get a(nother) very good light from Convoy!

Thank you both, and I’ll be around as I have a lot to learn with you people!
Regards!


Welcome new friend!

It’s an honor to have a new member’s first post in a Convoy thread. Smile

Your English is very good by the way. Worldwide membership is one of the things that make BLF such a special place.

One thing I wanted to mention though is that the firmware is in it’s first release and there are a few things to be sorted out. The main thing that you will see if you have Simon put the new driver in your S2+ is that the blinky modes like strobe and bike-flash and even the programming mode are running double speed.

We are working on correcting this. It’s still a nice improvement but it will be much better in the next revision. I just wanted to inform you before you order.

Welcome aboard!

Do you think that Simon is putting in the new driver with the double speed issues or just flashing one of the older drivers? Just curious but it would seem that the second option would make changing modes a bit easier to do.

9mm/40cal/45cal bullets and large/small pistol primers available for sale in San Francisco Bay area

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4591
Location: South Europe

Disassembled today the switch for modification and found broken plastic “washer” instead of aluminium washer that Simon is always using! It look as it was cut out of something, thickness is uneven and it’s definitely handmade.

Ordered from aliexpress store… Sad

 

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5529
Location: Germany

Got a C8 XPL Hi from Gearbest

As I did a spring bypass I noticed a plastic spacer as well but it was looking good

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

I got a brand new shiny Clear ano C8 in the mail yesterday. Big Smile

I stuck a protected EVVA cell in it and tested it…

0.01A for 3.07 lumens
0.08A for 28.29
0.41A for 135.24
1.24A for 432.63
2.70A for 917.7

This is completely stock with 8 of the 350mA 7135 chips on the driver and 28 ga leads.

So, today, having allowed a full 24 hours to pass (I know, right?) I tweaked the shiny little devil. Big Smile

I pulled the driver and re-flashed the Bistro-Mini firmware from the original that TK sent me when all this was first getting going. Then I stacked 6 350mA 7135 chips, swapped the 28ga leads for 20ga leads, put a new XP-L W2 2B on a 20mm Noctigon and shaved the centering ring to about half the base thickness.

Now, it’s a pretty sweet light!

0.02A for 4.07 lumens
0.14A for 50.13
0.70A for 244.95
2.21A for 724.5
4.84A for 1511.1

Wonderful! Thanks for the great work Simon, Jared and TK! Just gotta love these little C8’s for what they can do and how easy it is to mod one.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

Plastic spacer in the tail switch? Oh the outrage! (preparations being made for a lighted tail cap, hence the clear boot, shhhhhhh!)

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4342
Location: USA

DB Custom wrote:
Plastic spacer in the tail switch? Oh the outrage! (preparations being made for a lighted tail cap, hence the clear boot, shhhhhhh!)

I plan on adding one of those nifty 6 LED tailcap boards for my clear C8 when I work up the courage to solder those tiny boogers. I went ahead and bypassed both springs and put in a FET +1 along with an XPL-HI V2-3B on noctigon. 108kcd before tweaking focus, haven’t measured lumens or tailcap amps yet.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9925
Location: nyc

DB Custom wrote:
2.21A for 724.5
4.84A for 1511.1

Wonderful! Thanks for the great work Simon, Jared and TK! Just gotta love these little C8’s for what they can do and how easy it is to mod one.

Damn, that’s hardly any drop in efficacy from 2A to almost 5A!

I gotta get me some DTPs…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4342
Location: USA

I’m seeing 5.8A at the tail with my clamp meter.
Freshly charged 4.201v 30Q measures 111kcd and 1508lm at 30seconds.
FET +1, XPL-HI V2-3B on noctigon.

Is that a fairly low throw for this setup? I imagine I need to tweak the height of the centering ring right?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

Try taping off the base of the reflector with kapton tape and doing away with the centering ring, see if that nets you any gain. The HI can be pretty fickle to get it just right. Sanding down the centering ring or removing it altogether is likely to give a better focus, it’s a hit and miss kind of deal.

I switched to the new XP-L W2 2B and actually lost throw numbers, sanded the centering ring down to about half it’s base thickness. But I like the beam profile so I’m not worried about the numbers.

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2669
Location: Greece

I think it’s nearly max with xp-l hi .

Fet driver and :
Xp-l hi 105-110kcd
Xp-l dedomed 145-155kcd
Xp-g2 old dedomed 165 up to 195kcd

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Sirius9 wrote:
Disassembled today the switch for modification and found broken plastic “washer” instead of aluminium washer that Simon is always using! It look as it was cut out of something, thickness is uneven and it’s definitely handmade.

Ordered from aliexpress store… Sad

That’s unfortunate. A simple accident no doubt but still a bummer. I passed the info and pictures along to Simon. If you contact him through the Ali message system he will certainly make it right. These type of things will come up from time to time but Simon always takes care of any mistakes like this.
leglessAlex
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2016 - 17:39
Posts: 2
Location: London, UK

Hello all,

This is an excellent thread and I thought it best to post here where the expertise is rather than clog up the forum with yet another thread. I’ve read though this thread and my problem doesn’t seem to have cropped up before.

Yesterday I received an updated C8, the XPL HI model this thread is about. I put a fully charged NCR18650B in it and switched it on, cycled though the modes and was generally very impressed. So far, so good.

The issue was when I attempted to put it in config mode to change the settings. I clicked it on, and then proceeded to tap it quickly but steadily expecting it to stop turning on and then buzz. Problem is, it didn’t seem to go into the config mode. Confused, I clicked it off and clicked back on again, it came on low (0.1%? 1%?) and then no matter how many times I tapped the switch, clicked the switch or anything else it refused to do anything other than this low output.

In summary, after attempting to go into config mode and failing I have been left with a light that switches on with a very low output but then refuses to do anything else no matter what.

Has anyone else had this problem or even have any idea what might be wrong? Is there a way of doing a ‘hard reset’ back to the default settings?

I thought I’d post on here before taking it up with Simon at Ali, from what I hear in this thread he seems to be a busy man and I’d rather not bother him if I can sort it out myself.

Many many thanks.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16122
Location: Amsterdam

leglessAlex wrote:
Hello all,

This is an excellent thread and I thought it best to post here where the expertise is rather than clog up the forum with yet another thread. I’ve read though this thread and my problem doesn’t seem to have cropped up before.

Yesterday I received an updated C8, the XPL HI model this thread is about. I put a fully charged NCR18650B in it and switched it on, cycled though the modes and was generally very impressed. So far, so good.

The issue was when I attempted to put it in config mode to change the settings. I clicked it on, and then proceeded to tap it quickly but steadily expecting it to stop turning on and then buzz. Problem is, it didn’t seem to go into the config mode. Confused, I clicked it off and clicked back on again, it came on low (0.1%? 1%?) and then no matter how many times I tapped the switch, clicked the switch or anything else it refused to do anything other than this low output.

In summary, after attempting to go into config mode and failing I have been left with a light that switches on with a very low output but then refuses to do anything else no matter what.

Has anyone else had this problem or even have any idea what might be wrong? Is there a way of doing a ‘hard reset’ back to the default settings?

I thought I’d post on here before taking it up with Simon at Ali, from what I hear in this thread he seems to be a busy man and I’d rather not bother him if I can sort it out myself.

Many many thanks.


Hi Alex, welcome to BLF! Smile

These drivers with new firmware, that are used for the first time in the clear C8, do have a programming error that as far as reported yet have no serious effect on the actual functioning of the flashlight. But you may have encountered a problem after all.
Personally I have tried this same driver (I ordered them as bare driver from Simon) in a triple XP-G3 flashlight (S2+ shorty with 18500 cell) and it acted weird too (but different: overly enthousiastic stepdowns, seemed to switch on in a random setting). Perhaps my use was a kind of out-of-spec use, so I will not blame the firmware for that.
Maybe others have encountered problems too and care to report here?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8566
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

TK said that a programming error by the factory caused the drivers to run at twice the speed they are supposed to, effectively overclocking them. This can lead to odd issues if it is widespread. I never saw a conclusion to that issue although it should be a simple fix ones figured out and not effect the vast majority of users.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 13 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2354
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

I flashed this new biscotti to 3 lights. one of them is normal speed and two is twice as normal.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11874
Location: Houston Texas

ZozzV6 wrote:
I flashed this new biscotti to 3 lights. one of them is normal speed and two is twice as normal.

Are you thinking the new firmware was responsible for making the MCU run at double speed?

The technical side of creating firmware is beyond my understanding, but I suppose it’s possible.

I’m sure ToyKeeper is on the case. I think we are all just waiting for an official reply from her or Simon (through J-Dub74).

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

SIGShooter
SIGShooter's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 02:10
Posts: 1791
Location: northern california

She said in a prior post that it was the new firmware that was the problem. It worked fine with the 5 old drivers that I flashed (105C and 105D).

9mm/40cal/45cal bullets and large/small pistol primers available for sale in San Francisco Bay area

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11874
Location: Houston Texas

SIGShooter wrote:
She said in a prior post that it was the new firmware that was the problem.

Oh, was it in this thread she said that, because I don’t see it here.

Well, I guess that answers that. Lol

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 1786
Location: Central IL

I thought I remembered it being fuse* settings that caused the speed issues. Not certain though, might be more info in the firmware thread. Might help to take some of these questions there.

*Fuses are settings that you specify when flashing firmware to a chip. So not really the firmware nor the hardware.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5529
Location: Germany

Could someone send me the chip on the drivers programmed with biscotti firmware?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8566
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

gchart wrote:
I thought I remembered it being fuse* settings that caused the speed issues. Not certain though, might be more info in the firmware thread. Might help to take some of these questions there.

*Fuses are settings that you specify when flashing firmware to a chip. So not really the firmware nor the hardware.

Correct, most do not understand that though so I just used the word firmware.

leglessAlex
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2016 - 17:39
Posts: 2
Location: London, UK

djozz wrote:

Hi Alex, welcome to BLF! Smile

These drivers with new firmware, that are used for the first time in the clear C8, do have a programming error that as far as reported yet have no serious effect on the actual functioning of the flashlight. But you may have encountered a problem after all.
Personally I have tried this same driver (I ordered them as bare driver from Simon) in a triple XP-G3 flashlight (S2+ shorty with 18500 cell) and it acted weird too (but different: overly enthousiastic stepdowns, seemed to switch on in a random setting). Perhaps my use was a kind of out-of-spec use, so I will not blame the firmware for that.
Maybe others have encountered problems too and care to report here?

Thank you Thumbs Up

It seems like it might be an exceptional case, I think I will contact Simon and see what advice he gives and whether he wants me to send the light back so he can see what’s up. I’ll keep an eye on this thread though for any updates.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5529
Location: Germany

I got in my C8 also such a plastic spacer

It got multiple cracks as it seems not tough enough to withstand the force from the switch board

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

The retaining ring has been overtightened. They’re not used to anything but an aluminum ring in there.

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4591
Location: South Europe

I “spoke” with Simon, factory does not have any more aluminium spacers, I requested some spares so I would have when factory messes up. Plastic spacers are only option Sad
Today I received one more C8 ordered from Sinom, ordered on September 30 (yes, it took almost 40 days to arrive) this time black one and again, cracked plastic “spacer”.
This looks like someone just cut end cap of the bottle and unsuccessfully tried to fabricate a spacer but I accept that I might be wrong, after all I’m not engineer.

and this is what I imagined when someone mentioned “plastic washer/spacer”:

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Simon, he surely left big mark in budget & quality products category but I think this is step in wrong direction. Maybe he just accustomed me to high quality products and that’s why this “feels” like a let down. At this point rational solution would be not to order directly from Simon’s aliexpress store because he always has “fresh” products from factory, It would be better to order from one of retailer that usually makes larger stocks and sale them over longer time periods, so you would increase chances of geting higher quality components in your light.

I also ordered one Convoy C8 light from Fasttech on October 22, (wanted to test how DHL global mail works since it was under 3$), It should be here in couple of days, may be friday, I will report back when I see what’s in the tailcap.

 

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

Wow. There definitely needs to be an improvement to the plastic material choice.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Sirius9 wrote:
I “spoke” with Simon, factory does not have any more aluminium spacers, I requested some spares so I would have when factory messes up. Plastic spacers are only option Sad
Today I received one more C8 ordered from Sinom, ordered on September 30 (yes, it took almost 40 days to arrive) this time black one and again, cracked plastic “spacer”.
This looks like someone just cut end cap of the bottle and unsuccessfully tried to fabricate a spacer but I accept that I might be wrong, after all I’m not engineer.

and this is what I imagined when someone mentioned “plastic washer/spacer”:

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Simon, he surely left big mark in budget & quality products category but I think this is step in wrong direction. Maybe he just accustomed me to high quality products and that’s why this “feels” like a let down. At this point rational solution would be not to order directly from Simon’s aliexpress store because he always has “fresh” products from factory, It would be better to order from one of retailer that usually makes larger stocks and sale them over longer time periods, so you would increase chances of geting higher quality components in your light.

I also ordered one Convoy C8 light from Fasttech on October 22, (wanted to test how DHL global mail works since it was under 3$), It should be here in couple of days, may be friday, I will report back when I see what’s in the tailcap.


Yeah that should not have happened. I’m not sure exactly what happened yet and I haven’t opened mine yet to see if it is the same but I’ve sent all this info to Simon. I will post here when I have an official response from him.
stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1307
Location: Australia

Just a quick question (which may have already been discussed but I can’t find it).
How does the low voltage protection work in Biscotti?
What is the cut-off voltage?
Thanks.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

It’s the same dual resistor LVP, so it should cut off at around 2.8V, perhaps 3V, depending on the actual cues in the firmware.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20372
Location: Heart of Texas

Just so it’s CLEAR… the C8 can do over 1900 lumens with the new Cree XP-L W2 2B emitter from an FET driver. Just saying….

Edit: The stock Bistro-mini (Biscotti) firmware should do the same with some stacked 7135 chips, as far as that goes. Might fall a little short, but it’ll be one very bright smallish light all the same.

(Yes, I’m change resistant. TK called it Bistro-mini to begin with, I have files under that name, then all the voting carp started and somehow it got named after a snack or something… have no idea whatsoever what an almond biscuit has to do with flashlight firmware.)

Pages