New Convoy C8 – Clearly better

1530 posts / 0 new
Last post
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 45 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 7449
Location: California

For Mortuus — LMGTFY

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10365
Location: Golden state

Yup, Convoy is his baby and one of the more reliable budget brands available. Also willing to work with customers. If Chinese manufacturing ever decides to up their game they could do worse than modeling his approach.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8110
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Simon runs Convoy. Convoy’s store is at aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/330416

He has an unusually good quality-to-price ratio, and doesn’t follow the usual trend of making things cheaper (worse) over time. His products are typically on par with items several times the price.

stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1296
Location: Australia

I’m making the most out of the “faster than it should be” blinky modes on Biscotto V1.
(S2+ with Biscotti V1, attached to a light painting tool).

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

ToyKeeper wrote:
It can be difficult to know what’s going on with Simon because he’s the sort who prefers to get things done instead of talking about it. And difficult to know what’s going on with Gearbest because they’re not exactly the most honest about what they sell.

So… if you want to take a risk, go with Gearbest. You might get what you want for a bit less. If you’d rather play it safe, go directly with Convoy and request an updated driver.

I should have a new driver to test in a few days, I think. Tracking says it hit customs yesterday.


Well said TK. Thumbs Up
J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

mortuus wrote:
how? there is no convoy website to buy from anyways last i checked.. and who the hell is this Simon, he who runs convoy ??

I’m going to try to be polite in responding to this not so polite post…
Convoy has never had an official website.
It is not feasible for my friend Simon to maintain a site for his company at this time due to the many complications where he lives and operates his business.
Simon Mao is the owner/operator of Shenzhen Convoy Electronics and yes, he certainly is “he who runs Convoy”.
As his officially unofficial spokesperson I can assure you that yes, he is a very real person and yes, we really are friends. Our friendship has led to many of the Convoy lights that have been produced in the last year or so thanks to my friends here at BLF and Simon’s willingness to work with us.
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18534
Location: Heart of Texas

Kudo’s on the control my friend. Wink

Dale

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8110
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

stephenk wrote:
I’m making the most out of the “faster than it should be” blinky modes on Biscotto V1.
(S2+ with Biscotti V1, attached to a light painting tool).

That’s trippy and cool. It looks like the light shines into a tube and you swing the tube around?

I’ve been dragging my feet on a similar project, making a RGBA quad emitter pulse in rainbow patterns so it’ll look fancy when swinging a light saber around.

stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1296
Location: Australia

ToyKeeper wrote:
stephenk wrote:
I’m making the most out of the “faster than it should be” blinky modes on Biscotto V1.
(S2+ with Biscotti V1, attached to a light painting tool).

That’s trippy and cool. It looks like the light shines into a tube and you swing the tube around?

I’ve been dragging my feet on a similar project, making a RGBA quad emitter pulse in rainbow patterns so it’ll look fancy when swinging a light saber around.

That is pretty much it. The S2+ (with large o-rings around the head to add a few more mm) is stuck into one end of a lightpaintingbrushes.com universal connector, and at the other end of the connector is a denissmith.com.au lightflute CH48 (which is basically a 48cm PVC tube, with long holes on one side, and short holes on the other).

I also use the Ledlenser P7QC for red, green, and blue if required, but would be very happy if a company developed a suitably sized RGBW colour mixing flashlight.

Good luck with your light sabre project.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

Very nice light art!

Waiting for my clear C8 proves to be hard Wink

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 1115
Location: Sweden
J-Dub74 wrote:
mortuus wrote:
how? there is no convoy website to buy from anyways last i checked.. and who the hell is this Simon, he who runs convoy ??
I’m going to try to be polite in responding to this not so polite post… Convoy has never had an official website. It is not feasible for my friend Simon to maintain a site for his company at this time due to the many complications where he lives and operates his business. Simon Mao is the owner/operator of Shenzhen Convoy Electronics and yes, he certainly is “he who runs Convoy”. As his officially unofficial spokesperson I can assure you that yes, he is a very real person and yes, we really are friends. Our friendship has led to many of the Convoy lights that have been produced in the last year or so thanks to my friends here at BLF and Simon’s willingness to work with us.

oke not easy for everyone to know that, a name doesnt mean much and since no website exist its also a bit confusing for many i bet… but now i know then. i have an C8 on my way from gearbest looking forward getting it.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4339
Location: USA
mortuus wrote:
J-Dub74 wrote:
mortuus wrote:
how? there is no convoy website to buy from anyways last i checked.. and who the hell is this Simon, he who runs convoy ??
I’m going to try to be polite in responding to this not so polite post… Convoy has never had an official website. It is not feasible for my friend Simon to maintain a site for his company at this time due to the many complications where he lives and operates his business. Simon Mao is the owner/operator of Shenzhen Convoy Electronics and yes, he certainly is “he who runs Convoy”. As his officially unofficial spokesperson I can assure you that yes, he is a very real person and yes, we really are friends. Our friendship has led to many of the Convoy lights that have been produced in the last year or so thanks to my friends here at BLF and Simon’s willingness to work with us.

oke not easy for everyone to know that, a name doesnt mean much and since no website exist its also a bit confusing for many i bet… but now i know then. i have an C8 on my way from gearbest looking forward getting it.


Just gotta read the OP in almost any Convoy thread, search ‘convoy store’, or just nicely ask.

Check out the many other convoy lights too, quite a few really nice flashlights available.

fuzun
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2017 - 13:37
Posts: 190

Yeah I know about communicating with Chinese people. That’s why I wanted a mark for the new version. Since that did not happen, I now have to take a risk or wait some time and ask people who bought from GearBest if they got new version. The latter is what I am trying to do.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1282
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies
mortuus wrote:
J-Dub74 wrote:
mortuus wrote:
how? there is no convoy website to buy from anyways last i checked.. and who the hell is this Simon, he who runs convoy ??
I’m going to try to be polite in responding to this not so polite post… Convoy has never had an official website. It is not feasible for my friend Simon to maintain a site for his company at this time due to the many complications where he lives and operates his business. Simon Mao is the owner/operator of Shenzhen Convoy Electronics and yes, he certainly is “he who runs Convoy”. As his officially unofficial spokesperson I can assure you that yes, he is a very real person and yes, we really are friends. Our friendship has led to many of the Convoy lights that have been produced in the last year or so thanks to my friends here at BLF and Simon’s willingness to work with us.

oke not easy for everyone to know that, a name doesnt mean much and since no website exist its also a bit confusing for many i bet… but now i know then. i have an C8 on my way from gearbest looking forward getting it.


That’s why you simply ask around the forum.

fuzun
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2017 - 13:37
Posts: 190

Reminder for those who want to buy latest version from Gearbest:

“Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to tell you that product is not the latest version.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_488727.html

We haven’t ordered the latest version of this product.

And there is no exact plan of it yet.

Thank you for your understand.

Best regards

Jaylee

Gearbest Customer Service
http://www.gearbest.com/

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

fuzun wrote:
Reminder for those who want to buy latest version from Gearbest:

“Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to tell you that product is not the latest version.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_488727.html

We haven’t ordered the latest version of this product.

And there is no exact plan of it yet.

Thank you for your understand.

Best regards

Jaylee

Gearbest Customer Service
http://www.gearbest.com/


Yeah that’s not the clear C8 if anyone is thinking so. That’s the older grey version. I don’t think Simon has made any current runs in that color though with the XPL-HI it can’t be too old. It’s only been maybe a year that he’s been selling the C8 with an XPL-HI. It’s quite a nice color really but this is actually the first time I’ve heard it called “silver”. It’s quite too dark to be called silver IMO though in their picture it looks brighter than what I’ve seen in real life.

Edit: I have to take that back. I don’t know what the heck that is! LOL
They call it silver but I went back and scrolled down and there are pictures of the clear version and they’re showing the AR coated lens that has only come stock on the silver. Then they list is as a 3/5 driver but they say it has 12 modes and they include the UI diagram for Biscotti… Question Huh? That is one very confused and confusing listing. Of course I went and clicked on answered questions for the light where someone asked if it had an OP reflector.
The official Gearbest response was

Quote:
The light is white.
But the reflector is yellow.
We hope that this is helpful.

Seriously…you can’t make this stuff up. Facepalm
gastonpatagonico
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 10/31/2016 - 21:32
Posts: 190
Location: patagonia
Replace driver with blf A6 and be a little happier !!!, about 5 amps in tail with sanyo ga, deals more easily !!

fuzun
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2017 - 13:37
Posts: 190

J-Dub74 wrote:
fuzun wrote:
Reminder for those who want to buy latest version from Gearbest:

“Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to tell you that product is not the latest version.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_488727.html

We haven’t ordered the latest version of this product.

And there is no exact plan of it yet.

Thank you for your understand.

Best regards

Jaylee

Gearbest Customer Service
http://www.gearbest.com/


Yeah that’s not the clear C8 if anyone is thinking so. That’s the older grey version. I don’t think Simon has made any current runs in that color though with the XPL-HI it can’t be too old. It’s only been maybe a year that he’s been selling the C8 with an XPL-HI. It’s quite a nice color really but this is actually the first time I’ve heard it called “silver”. It’s quite too dark to be called silver IMO though in their picture it looks brighter than what I’ve seen in real life.

Edit: I have to take that back. I don’t know what the heck that is! LOL
They call it silver but I went back and scrolled down and there are pictures of the clear version and they’re showing the AR coated lens that has only come stock on the silver. Then they list is as a 3/5 driver but they say it has 12 modes and they include the UI diagram for Biscotti… Question Huh? That is one very confused and confusing listing. Of course I went and clicked on answered questions for the light where someone asked if it had an OP reflector.
The official Gearbest response was

Quote:
The light is white.
But the reflector is yellow.
We hope that this is helpful.

Seriously…you can’t make this stuff up. Facepalm

According to comments it is actually clear version but it does not contain latest firmware (Which is updated recently).

Jensen567
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/10/2017 - 16:59
Posts: 491
Location: MD/DC Area USA

The new C8 looks great. Hopefully one day you do an M1 in this new style!

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Jensen567 wrote:
The new C8 looks great. Hopefully one day you do an M1 in this new style!

I’ve very seriously considered it. The M1 is an excellent light design worthy of more credit than it gets in my opinion. Thumbs Up
Jensen567
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/10/2017 - 16:59
Posts: 491
Location: MD/DC Area USA

The M1 is my favorite all around light and the one I find myself grabbing most often. I actually have 3, but could always use one more :).

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8110
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

For optimal focus and fit, a XP-L or XM-L2 should give a cleaner beam than XP-L HI since the reflector is designed for a somewhat higher focal point. It’s also a good idea to have a centering ring filling the space between the reflector and MCPCB to make sure everything is tight… especially if you upgrade the driver to something higher-powered.

Alternately, you could maybe try a thicker MCPCB or something, to raise the XP-L HI higher into the reflector, or something along those lines. That should improve the focus and make the hotspot more intense.

I may be a little picky about precise focus though. Smile

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8110
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

I still have a M1 and M2 around here I’ve been meaning to give away… They’re nice, but not really my style.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18534
Location: Heart of Texas

I made a quad out of one of those, can’t remember if it was M1 or M2. Neat light though, a sleeper for sure. Gave it to JDub if I remember correctly.

Dale

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

ToyKeeper wrote:
For optimal focus and fit, a XP-L or XM-L2 should give a cleaner beam than XP-L HI since the reflector is designed for a somewhat higher focal point. It’s also a good idea to have a centering ring filling the space between the reflector and MCPCB to make sure everything is tight… especially if you upgrade the driver to something higher-powered.

Alternately, you could maybe try a thicker MCPCB or something, to raise the XP-L HI higher into the reflector, or something along those lines. That should improve the focus and make the hotspot more intense.

I may be a little picky about precise focus though. Smile


ToyKeeper how DARE you say such things…which are 100% accurate. Silly

You’re spot on about the focus issue. This is true of several Convoy lights. While still quite good with the XPL-HI they were mostly designed around the XM-L2 so the domeless emitters are better focussed if either shimmed slightly higher into the reflector or alternately bring the reflector down lower into the head. This can be done by sanding down the centering ring a bit and using a thicker o-ring on top of the glass. I too am very picky about precise focus. This issue is something I’ve brought up to Simon and plan to help him address going forward. Wink

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

DB Custom wrote:
I made a quad out of one of those, can’t remember if it was M1 or M2. Neat light though, a sleeper for sure. Gave it to JDub if I remember correctly.

It was an M1. Smile You remeber correctly though you gave it to Mrs. J-Dub. Wink
It’s actually my favorite quad. It handles the heat very well and I like the format much better than the X6 for a quad. Of course the big hunk of copper you fit into the head might have something to do with how well it handles the heat. Cool I find the X6 format way too unbalanced for my liking. The SS/Cu version is beautiful to look upon but it has become a beautiful shelf queen. I’d like to see a lot more M1 quads.
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18534
Location: Heart of Texas

I had her in mind but was thinking she liked it and confiscated it. lol

I like doing the copper sink/spacer that way, with it supporting the optics such that there is copper from glass to shelf. Seems to work well in the one’s I’ve done anyway. Need to get me another of those M1’s and go at it again with the new breed of emitters…

Dale

Jensen567
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/10/2017 - 16:59
Posts: 491
Location: MD/DC Area USA

What optic and MCPCB for quad M1?

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2658
Location: Greece
At least , i think Convoy’s C8 reflector is the easier reflector to focus with leds like dedomed xp-g2/xp-l .
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1282
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

J-Dub74 wrote:
Jensen567 wrote:
The new C8 looks great. Hopefully one day you do an M1 in this new style!

I’ve very seriously considered it. The M1 is an excellent light design worthy of more credit than it gets in my opinion. Thumbs Up

Jensen567 wrote:
The M1 is my favorite all around light and the one I find myself grabbing most often. I actually have 3, but could always use one more :).

I’ve got an M1 with Biscotti due to arrive any day now. I’ll let you guys know how the baby behaves, yes? Wink

Pages